PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Race] Awakened Living Spell (PEACH)

DragoonWraith
2009-10-27, 06:00 AM
Living Spell is a Template from the Eberron Campaign Setting as well as the Monster Manual 3. It may be applied to any spell to turn the spell into a mindless Ooze creature. There is an Awaken Ooze spell (I'm told) in Dragon #304, but I do not have that (or any other) issue of Dragon Magazine, so I don't know the text of that spell. More importantly, the Living Spell template, even when the Mindless state is removed via Awaken, does not work particularly well as a player character.

This is, therefore, an attempt to create a Living Spell race, which could be used by PCs. To do so, I'm going to treat this similarly to the way Warforged tones down the Construct template to avoid adding too many abilities to the race.

Awakened Living Spell

An Awakened Living Spell is a living, sentient incarnation of any spell that affects an area. While it is unclear exactly how Living Spells come about, the Awaken Living Spell spell is not a secret, and appears on the Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard spell lists as an 8th level spell. The spell effectively converts a spell that has the Living Spell Template into a creature of the Awakened Living Spell race.

Awakened Living Spell is not, mechanically, a template applied to a Living Spell, so unless specifically mentioned here, an Awakened Living Spell does not have those features found in a regular Living Spell. However, since they are created from Living Spells, the usual restrictions on which spells may be used apply.

Racial Features
An Awakened Living Spell's racial features depend largely on what particular spell the creature is. The spell level influences a lot of the stats for the creature, and the spell list that the spell is taken from is also quite significant.

Size, Hit Dice, and Type:
Size: An Awakened Living Spell's size depends on its original Caster Level (usually, but not necessarily, the minimum Caster Level for a spell of its level). This is just the Caster Level that the spell was originally cast at, and does not imply anything about the Spell's own spellcasting ability, if it has one:
Medium for Caster Level 1st through 6th
Large for Caster Level 7th through 12th
Huge for Caster Level 13th or higher.
Hit Dice: An Awakened Living Spell has Ooze hit dice (1d10 HD, ¾ BAB, 2+Int skills, and no good saves) equal to its original Caster Level (the one determining its size).
Type: Ooze (Centralized). Unlike normal Oozes, the magic maintaining the Awakened Living Spell's identity and personality gives it a somewhat more discernible anatomy. In particular, a core of Arcane or Divine power runs through the creature, functioning similarly to the nervous and circulatory systems of normal creatures. This is necessary to allow the Awakened Living Spell to function, but comes at the cost of many of the features of a usual Ooze creature. It also provides the Awakened Living Spell with limbs and something resembling a face, which is at the front of their Core.
Limbs: Unlike normal Oozes, Awakened Living Spells have two arms and two legs. Though the particular shape of an Awakened Living Spell may vary dramatically, the general idea would be a central portion, perhaps roughly spherical, with a 'face', which may not look anything like a face but does make it apparent which direction they are looking, for example, with the four limbs sprouting directly from this Core. This allows them to wield weapons and wear armor. Druid spells share the Druid's prohibition on metal items.
Intelligent: Unlike normal Oozes, Awakened Living Spells are not Mindless, and are therefore susceptible to Mind-Affecting effects.
Sensory Perception: Unlike normal Oozes, Awakened Living Spells do not have Blindsight. Instead, they gain sensory information by feeling light and sound with the "face", with an effect similar to the Synesthete Psionic Power. This makes Awakened Living Spells immune to effects that attempt to blind the eyes or deafen the ears specifically, or attempt to overload visual or aural sensors (e.g. Glitterdust, Sonic deafening effects, etc.), but they can be made blind and deaf by covering their face, with the normal effects of blindness and deafness. They are not immune to gaze effects, but if the effect offers a chance to save against it, the Awakened Living Spell gains a +4 bonus on the save, since the gaze cannot be focused specifically on their eyes.
Awakened Living Spells take 50% longer to don armor or put on clothes, because they must magically attune their clothes so that they can see with the armor or clothes that cover their face.
This is an (Su) ability (but see below for information on how they interact with effects that diminish, damage, or suppress magic).
Immunities: Unlike normal Oozes, Awakened Living Spells are not immune to Paralysis or Stunning effects. They are immune to Poison, Sleep, and Polymorph, like most Oozes, and additionally immune to non-magical Disease, Nausea, Fatigue, Exhaustion, and effects that cause the Sickened condition. Magical or supernatural sources of these effects may affect them as usual.
Critical Hits: Unlike normal Oozes, Awakened Living Spells are susceptible to critical hits and flanking. They do have a discernable (if exotic and somewhat simple) anatomy, which is roughly humanoid in form, and those skilled or lucky enough to hit a weak spot can do additional damage.
Anyone used to picking out opponents' weak points will recognize the Awakened Living Spell's 'face' and Core for what they are, and can attack them. Branches of "Core material" are also found inside of the creature's limbs, which means effects like attempts to, for example, hamstring the Awakened Living Spell can achieve the normal effect (although what actually happens internally is quite a bit different, since it is more of a disruption to the Spell's ability to control its limbs, rather than physical damage to the body part).
Eating, Drinking, Sleeping, and Breathing: Like most Oozes, Awakened Living Spells do not need to sleep (though general rest is necessary to regain spells and similar abilities), but can usually passively absorb enough ambient magical energy from most places to replace the needs to eat or breathe.
Additional Subtypes: Awakened Living Spells also gain an alignment or elemental subtype if the spell in question had the matching descriptor.
Abilities:
-2 Dexterity
Arcane Awakened Living Spells, as well as Awakened Living Archivist Spells, take a -2 racial penalty to Wisdom. The Spells of Archivists, Beguilers, Wizards, Wu Jens, and other Intelligence based spellcasters gain an Intelligence bonus equal to four times the original spell level (0th level spells are treated as ½ for this calculation). The Spells of Bards, Dread Necromancers, Sorcerers, Warmages, and the like gain the same bonus to Charisma.
Divine Awakened Living Spells take a -2 racial penalty to Intelligence, unless it is an Archivist spell. They also gain a bonus to their Wisdom equal to four times their original spell level (0th level spells being treated as ½ for this calculation).
No Awakened Living Spell should be taking a -2 penalty to the ability modifiers that set its caster's spell DCs or determines its caster's Bonus Spells. If a class uses Wisdom to determine its spells' strength, then the penalty should be to Intelligence, and if the class uses Charisma or Intelligence to determine its spells' strength, then the penalty should be to Wisdom. If the class uses both Intelligence and Wisdom, then, and only then, should the penalty be applied to Charisma. Under no circumstances is this penalty applied to any physical stats (though all Awakened Living Spells take a -2 to Dexterity, regardless).
The above rules supercede the general rules, where the Archivist is used as an example of an exception. To my knowledge, the Archivist is currently the only published exception, but homebrew or simply books I'm not familiar with may change that.
Move Speed: 30'
Armor Class: An Awakened Living Spell has a Deflection bonus to AC equal to its original Spell Level.
Saving Throws: An Awakened Living Spell has a racial bonus on all saves equal to its original Spell level.
Damage Reduction X/magic, where X is the spell's original level.
Spell Resistance 10 + the original Spell Level.
Spell Effect: An Awakened Living Spell may, once per round, cast itself on any target that it hits with a melee attack, is grappling, or succeeds on a Standard action touch against. A willing target may be touched as a Swift action, or as part of a Move action which takes the Awakened Living Spell past the target. The target is treated as if it was within the area effect of the spell. This only affects the target, even if it is sharing its square with other creatures.
The Caster Level of this spell is equal to its total hit dice, the Level of the spell is treated as the highest that its original caster could cast at its Caster Level (so an Awakened Living Wizard Spell with 7 total HD would have a Caster Level of 7 and would count as a 4th level spell for the sake of its DC).
In general, the spell is cast as if cast by its original caster, but with the abilities and general statistics of the Awakened Living Spell and the total number of levels in the original casting class equal to the Awakened Living Spell's HD. Thus, a Cleric or Druid Spell would add its Wisdom modifier, a Wizard Spell would add its Intelligence modifier, and a Sorcerer spell would add its Charisma modifier.
Magical Body: Because they are made from magic, Dispel Magic, Globe of Invulnerability, Anti-Magic Fields, Dead Magic Zones, and similar effects pose a unique threat to Awakened Living Spells:
Dispel Magic: If an Awakened Living Spell is targeted by Dispel Magic (either specifically, or with the area effect version where it is itself the highest level effect running on its person), roll the Dispel Check against the Caster Level of the spell itself. If it fails this check, the Awakened Living Spell takes Xd6 damage, where X is the difference between the two checks, and they also lose an amount of Damage Reduction and Spell Resistance equal to this value for a number of rounds equal to this value. A successful Will save halves these effects as well as the duration.
Globe of Invulnerability: To pass through a Globe of Invulnerability or similar effect, an Awakened Living Spell must have a Caster Level greater than the minimum Caster Level of the lowest level spell that could pass through the Globe, as cast by a Cleric or Wizard. Note that in the case of Sorcerer spells or especially in the case of Bard spells and other half-caster spells, this may be a higher Spell Level than the Spell Level used to determine its own DC.
Alternatively, a successful Will save (DC determined as usual for a spell of the Globe's level cast by the Globe's caster) allows the Awakened Living Spell to pass through, but it takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and skill and ability checks while within the Globe (this penalty does not apply to the original check to enter the Globe in the first place). The Awakened Living Spell does not need a Will save to pass back out of a Globe that it has successfully forced its way into in this fashion.
Anti-Magic Field: In an Anti-Magic Field, an Awakened Living Spell must make a Will save against the spell, or be suppressed. The Spell is not destroyed or dead, but it does temporarily cease to function, disappearing physically and not itself being aware of anything that goes on during the time in which it is suppressed. The Spell is not physically present, but nonetheless does remain where it was; Scrying on it would show an image of the place where the Spell was before being suppressed. The Spell must make this check each minute it spends in the field, whether it has failed or succeeded - a suppressed Spell that makes a subsequent save is no longer suppressed, and a Spell that had made its save originally can fail its save later and become suppressed.
A successful save preserves the Spell's Synesthesis, so it does not lose the ability to sense its surroundings (unless suppressed, at which point it is not even aware of the passage of time, much less external stimuli), but it does not preserve the magical attunement with its armor or clothing unless it makes the save by 5 or more - an Awakened Living Spell can be effectively blinded by its clothing or armor while in an Anti-Magic Field. No matter how it does on its save, it cannot cast itself while within the field.
Dead Magic Zones: In a Dead Magic Zone, an Awakened Living Spell takes 1d4 lethal damage every round, no save. It also takes a -4 penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and skill and ability checks, as it takes everything the Spell has just to stay together. Its Synesthesis is eliminated by the zone, and so it is also deaf and blind (the effect returns once the Spell gets out of the Dead Magic Zone).
Alignment: Usually Neutral, unless the spell in question has an alignment descriptor (in which case it usually is the Neutral version of that alignment).
Automatic Languages: Druid Spells gain Fey and Druidic and Arcane spells gain Draconic. Non-Druid Divine Spells use languages associated with their subtypes gained from the original spell's descriptors:
Divine Spells of the Good subtype speak Celestial.
Divine Spells of the Evil subtype speak Infernal or Abyssal.
Divine Spells of the Lawful subtype speak Celestial or Infernal.
Divine Spells of the Chaotic subtype speak Celestial or Abyssal.
Divine Spells with two alignment subtypes always speak only the single overlapping language, so a spell can never have its opposing subtype's language as an automatic language.
Divine Spells of the Fire subtype speak Ignan.
Divine Spells of the Cold subtype speak Aquan.
Divine Spells of the Air subtype speak Auran.
Divine Spells of the Earth subtype speak Terran.
Divine Spells lacking any alignment or elemental subtypes speak Fey.
Bonus Languages: None. An Awakened Living Spell is imbued with knowledge of the language of the spell itself, and it must learn any other ability to communicate by investing in the Speak Languages skill.
Favored Class: The class that originally cast the spell. A multiclass Awakened Living Spell's levels in this class do not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Level Adjustment: +X, where X is its original Spell Level.

Anyway, I'm really not sure about the balance of this thing. It's got a ton of drawbacks, but I don't know what those immunities and the like are worth. Plus there's the ability to cast the spell itself every turn; dunno what to say about that... So yeah, definitely want feedback.

Dante & Vergil
2009-11-02, 11:11 PM
I don't like the race, I LOVE it! Keep it up, man!!:smallwink:

DragoonWraith
2009-11-02, 11:35 PM
I'm really not sure on the balance on this one, to be honest. I think I may have saddled it with too much RHD/LA, but I'm really not sure. The Spell Effect ability is really hard to balance.

DracoDei
2009-11-02, 11:41 PM
Awakened Living Spells take 50% longer to don armor or put on clothes, because they must magically attune their clothes so that they can see with the armor or clothes that cover their face.

So attuning to see through Plate is harder than Padded? I guess that makes sense... what doesn't make sense is that the attunement process is accelerated by the presence of an assistant. OTOH I have only ONCE had the precise time for putting on or removing armor be CLOSE to an issue in a game, and that was a very unusual situation, so I guess it isn't worth micro-managing.

More comments as I read more.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-02, 11:49 PM
Damn, that is pretty freaking awesome. I'd use that in a flash if I didn't have a hatred for using LA'd races. Can't really comment on the balance, unfortunately.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-03, 12:02 AM
So attuning to see through Plate is harder than Padded? I guess that makes sense... what doesn't make sense is that the attunement process is accelerated by the presence of an assistant. OTOH I have only ONCE had the precise time for putting on or removing armor be CLOSE to an issue in a game, and that was a very unusual situation, so I guess it isn't worth micro-managing.
Heh, that was totally thrown in there because I was thinking "Huh, if it's 'face' is on its torso, what happens if it wears armor? Eh, magic. Here, mechanics."

That said, it's pretty easy to say that if the Living Spell has assistance, it can devote itself to the attuning process while the friend handles the physical bits, making the entire thing quicker. Or whatever.

Since, like you said, it never comes up. I've never had it come up.

More comments as I read more.
Awesome, looking forward to it.

Damn, that is pretty freaking awesome. I'd use that in a flash if I didn't have a hatred for using LA'd races. Can't really comment on the balance, unfortunately.
Well, a 0th level spell would be LA+0, so you could use those. You get -2 Dex, -2 some mental stat, +2 some mental stat, 10 SR, the spell effect, and the Dispel/AMF/DMZ drawbacks.

katans
2009-11-03, 06:18 AM
Not bad at all, though this Spell effect thing reeks of cheese (mmmh, Awakened Living Wish...). One question though: why the Ooze type and not, say, Elemental?

arguskos
2009-11-03, 06:27 AM
Not bad at all, though this Spell effect thing reeks of cheese (mmmh, Awakened Living Wish...). One question though: why the Ooze type and not, say, Elemental?
Because Living Spells are oozes? The template this is based on specified that.

As for an Awakened Living Wish, that wouldn't be so bad. You'd be Huge, you'd have 17 HD and LA +9. So, as a 26th level character, you'd be able to... hit someone, and give them a Wish? Yay? You, as a character, would SUCK. You'd be useful though. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Based on the above, I actually think that maybe, the HD+LA double whammy kinda sucks. What about folk who want to play something like an Awakened Fireball? LA +3 and 5 HD to be a Fireball? Seems kinda high to me.

The other question I had concerns metamagic spells. Living Spell doesn't mention them, so I assume it's possible. How would they work here? Just as normal? If so, what's the spells caster level/spell level for purposes of LA/HD?

Eldan
2009-11-03, 06:48 AM
On the other hand, playing as some first level spells wouldn't be too bad...
1 HD, +1 LA, some weaknesses, +4 int and a spell effect. Magic missile sounds nice.

katans
2009-11-03, 07:23 AM
As for an Awakened Living Wish, that wouldn't be so bad. You'd be Huge, you'd have 17 HD and LA +9. So, as a 26th level character, you'd be able to... hit someone, and give them a Wish? Yay? You, as a character, would SUCK.

Would you? 9th level means +36 Int, meaning the DC to resist Wish is something 40-ish if you start with decent rolls and pick up Ability Focus or the like. The sheer versatility means you could pick up virtually any effect you like to cast on your target, or hell, just pick up something that doesn't allow a save. Plus, of course, all the cheese your allies could profitate from (GMW at will, Heal at will, teleport or interplanar travel at will, just to name a few basic utilities). It's not that bad, I guess.

On the other hand, playing as some first level spells wouldn't be too bad...
1 HD, +1 LA, some weaknesses, +4 int and a spell effect. Magic missile sounds nice.

Hell, even 0-level spells. No LA, no HD, +2 Int/Wis/Cha. Cure Minor Wounds for at-will healing. Takes time, but hey, you don't need to sleep.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-03, 10:50 AM
I believe (but I could be wrong, I don't really understand the rule) that if you only have one RHD, you can trade it in for a class level. So 0th (who do have a Caster Level of 1st, btw, and therefore one RHD) and 1st level spells should be able to get away without them.

Anyway, I sort of agree with everyone in the thread: I flip-flop between "OMG that's too powerful" and "holy cow, that's a ton of RHD/LA that sucks". I really don't know how to handle things.

I do think the ability bonus thing needs work. 4x is necessary or else 0th and 1st level spells really suck (you have +1 LA for a race that has a net -2 to abilities??), but +36 for a 9th level spell... is ridiculous. Then again, I'm not sure how many other 17 RHD/9 LA races are out there, and how ridiculous their stats are...

Eldan
2009-11-03, 11:20 AM
The problem is this: with +17 HD and +9 LA, you are level 26. And you don't have a single class level. So, what would you do with a +36 to intelligence? Take a level of wizard and 27 and proceed to cast a dozen level one spells a day? Somehow, I can't see this working outside of gestalt.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-03, 11:23 AM
Yeah. I really did not intend anyone to use anything higher than, maybe, 2nd level spells for this.

arguskos
2009-11-03, 05:11 PM
Would you? 9th level means +36 Int, meaning the DC to resist Wish is something 40-ish if you start with decent rolls and pick up Ability Focus or the like. The sheer versatility means you could pick up virtually any effect you like to cast on your target, or hell, just pick up something that doesn't allow a save. Plus, of course, all the cheese your allies could profitate from (GMW at will, Heal at will, teleport or interplanar travel at will, just to name a few basic utilities). It's not that bad, I guess.
That's great. Go you. The party Wizard is dominating reality and scoffs at your pitiful little Heals and Teleports. Sure, you're better than the Fighter, but who isn't? :smallwink:

As for lower level spells, yeah, I think that's probably the best thing to use for Awakened Living Spells.

Concerning the swapping out HD thing, that only applies to Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids, last I checked. However, I'm not super up-to-date on that rule either. :smallsigh: Silly D&D being complicated sometimes. It WOULD be cool to be an Awakened Living Grease or something though.

Zaydos
2009-11-03, 05:36 PM
The awakened living wish spell only come into account at Lv 26 which is epic level territory and is questionably balanced already, although yes awakened wish would get awesome fast. Then again as a DM I'd just say no spells with XP except with DM permission.

A lot of the living spells would make a good cohort, a for example a living cure light wounds would make a great Lv 1 follower (full health, after every battle :) ) and at 20th level a living heal spell would still be useful (heal at will yay) or restoration or various buff spells (fighter needs to fly, living fly cohort... does that one work?). I now want a living cure light wounds follower.

Also the 1 RHD trade in applies to all creatures, although it's one of the more ambiguous rules.

Eldan
2009-11-03, 05:37 PM
That's why you take Wish at level 9... theoretically, you should save the XP component. Gratz, you can now cast every wizard spell of level 9 or lower, and every other spell of level 8 or lower on touch with high DCs. Still not as good as Epic Spellcasting, but then, nothing is.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-03, 05:43 PM
The Cure, Heal, Restoration, and Fly spells would all fail to meet the requirements for a Living Spell in the first place. It has to be something that either has an Area: or Effect: line, which none of those do, they all have Target(s):.

There are almost certainly spells that break this, though. DMs would have to be careful about what spells they allow.

Grease, and similar, spells are awesome, though, for this. Almost every target you attack will be denied its Dex bonus to AC... obviously valuable to Sneak Attack builds. In fact, potentially too good, though really, probably not. Certain to freak out certain DMs, but numerically probably still doesn't even begin to compare to an ubercharger.

qoalabear
2009-11-10, 03:31 AM
Awesome race. You certainly did a good job of turning a magical ooze into a race that can play alongside humanoids. I really have no clue how to judge balance on something like this, though. Just a few comments/questions:

-Spells gaining elemental subtypes if they had the appropriate descriptor makes sense, however, do they gain additional movement speeds appropriate to their subtype?
MM claims that "Air creatures always have fly speeds and usually have perfect maneuverability." If so, I'd guess an awakened living [air] spell has at least good maneuverability?
Similarly water creatures are claimed to always have swim speeds, but these aren't as potentially game breaking as a freely-flying low-LA race.
Earth creatures only "usually" have burrow speeds (but burrow speeds can be as dangerous as fly speeds). A living Move Earth (that takes a hefty HD+LA) can practically burrow by applying itself to clay and soil. If a living Soften Earth and Stone had a burrow speed, it could effectively travel through rock walls by using its spell effect (and it's only Drd2).
If they get any of these speeds, would they be the same as the given 30' land speed? Just a few more things to consider in balance.

-What would be class skills for Awakened Living Spells? Given the usual mindless nature of oozes, there's not a lot of precedents. Maybe the class skills of the class that cast it would be appropriate?

-It might be useful to explicitly state that they don't speak Common without taking Speak Language. Judging by Charade's character sheet, I think that's your intent. When you say they don't learn "any other ability to communicate," does that include literacy?

Sorry if I'm trying to add more text to an already long race description, but I just saw some ambiguities that could be locked down.

-As for a living Grease spell, failing a reflex save/balance check against the spell merely causes one to fall down. The prone condition makes it harder to attack, while giving melee attackers +4, but doesn't remove the target's Dex bonus to AC. I don't think it'd necessarily lead into sneak attacks, but it's essentially a free trip every round you attack. I'd think that a living Grease spell would be able to apply itself to the ground as it moved (probably using up its one use of the spell effect for the round.) This might be an option for area effect spells that primarily affect surfaces or terrain. I'd guess it affects only squares that the awakened spell moved over up to the allowed area of the spell with caster level = total hit dice. Would an awakened Grease spell have to make balance checks on squares it had greased itself?

-Another good first level spell might be ray of enfeeblement. Continuous strength drain can always be put to good use. It might be possible to make a grapple-build that can bring down even fighter-types.

-As for a cohort with infinite healing capacity, Irian's Light from Races of Eberron(p.188) is an effect:ray spell that heals 2d8 damage to a living or deathless creature and deal 2d8 damage to undead. Unfortunately, it improves by increasing the number of rays, so as a living spell, it may not provide increased healing with increased levels. It's Clr3, so you're looking at a starting ECL of 8, but it's still at will healing that doesn't sleep.

-(This seems a decent enough place to ask about the Awakened living spell character in your sig.)For those of us who don't speak Draconic, what spell is Helchimrad? :smalltongue:

Dante & Vergil
2009-11-12, 02:05 AM
If you think the Level Adjustment is too much, you should make it equal to spell level/2, rounded down (minimum of +1... maybe).

DragoonWraith
2009-11-12, 02:20 AM
Awesome race. You certainly did a good job of turning a magical ooze into a race that can play alongside humanoids. I really have no clue how to judge balance on something like this, though.
Yeah, tell me about it.

-Spells gaining elemental subtypes if they had the appropriate descriptor makes sense, however, do they gain additional movement speeds appropriate to their subtype?
MM claims that "Air creatures always have fly speeds and usually have perfect maneuverability." If so, I'd guess an awakened living [air] spell has at least good maneuverability?
Similarly water creatures are claimed to always have swim speeds, but these aren't as potentially game breaking as a freely-flying low-LA race.
Earth creatures only "usually" have burrow speeds (but burrow speeds can be as dangerous as fly speeds). A living Move Earth (that takes a hefty HD+LA) can practically burrow by applying itself to clay and soil. If a living Soften Earth and Stone had a burrow speed, it could effectively travel through rock walls by using its spell effect (and it's only Drd2).
If they get any of these speeds, would they be the same as the given 30' land speed? Just a few more things to consider in balance.
I was totally unaware of that. I'm gonna go ahead and say they don't get any such speeds, I think. Doesn't necessarily make sense, but, ya know, balance...

-What would be class skills for Awakened Living Spells? Given the usual mindless nature of oozes, there's not a lot of precedents. Maybe the class skills of the class that cast it would be appropriate?
Oh, hah, forgot RHD should have class skills. Yeah, that sounds good.

-It might be useful to explicitly state that they don't speak Common without taking Speak Language. Judging by Charade's character sheet, I think that's your intent. When you say they don't learn "any other ability to communicate," does that include literacy?
Yes, that was the intent. Hmm, literacy... I'm going to say they have that. Makes sense they would be able to recognize the very symbols that might (depending on the spellcasting fluff in your setting) very well define their very being.

Sorry if I'm trying to add more text to an already long race description, but I just saw some ambiguities that could be locked down.
Totally fine, it's cool.

-As for a living Grease spell, failing a reflex save/balance check against the spell merely causes one to fall down. The prone condition makes it harder to attack, while giving melee attackers +4, but doesn't remove the target's Dex bonus to AC. I don't think it'd necessarily lead into sneak attacks, but it's essentially a free trip every round you attack. I'd think that a living Grease spell would be able to apply itself to the ground as it moved (probably using up its one use of the spell effect for the round.) This might be an option for area effect spells that primarily affect surfaces or terrain. I'd guess it affects only squares that the awakened spell moved over up to the allowed area of the spell with caster level = total hit dice. Would an awakened Grease spell have to make balance checks on squares it had greased itself?
All good questions.

First, on Sneak Attack - you need to be balancing to avoid falling. If you are balancing and do not have at least five ranks in Balance, as per the Balance skill's description, you lose your Dex bonus to AC. So yeah, they fall down or they lose Dex, unless they're one of those rare souls who puts points in Balanec (which may become less rare if you take one as a PC, I suppose).

Applying Grease to the ground would make sense... Hmm. I suppose I could add something to that effect... and I'd say no, probably not, I'd just make the spell immune to its own effect.

-Another good first level spell might be ray of enfeeblement. Continuous strength drain can always be put to good use. It might be possible to make a grapple-build that can bring down even fighter-types.
Hmm... Rays are Effect: Ray, and probably are therefore valid according to the EbCS/MM3. Hadn't considered that. Well, continuous drain just resets the duration, that's not broken. Lesser Shivering Touch? Well, that's broken anyway... no 1st level spell should do that.

-As for a cohort with infinite healing capacity, Irian's Light from Races of Eberron(p.188) is an effect:ray spell that heals 2d8 damage to a living or deathless creature and deal 2d8 damage to undead. Unfortunately, it improves by increasing the number of rays, so as a living spell, it may not provide increased healing with increased levels. It's Clr3, so you're looking at a starting ECL of 8, but it's still at will healing that doesn't sleep.
Ultimately, I think that's just a minor thing, since it's still no good as in-combat healing. It saves money on wands of CLW, but that's about it. Ultimately I don't think it would save a lot of money. Could be wrong though.

-(This seems a decent enough place to ask about the Awakened living spell character in your sig.)For those of us who don't speak Draconic, what spell is Helchimrad? :smalltongue:
Hehehe, Helchimrad is bastardized Sindarin (one of Tolkien's Elvish languages) for Path of Ice (literally, IIRC, it's "bitterly cold way" or something; I dunno, I just looked up the words). It's in Dragon Magic.

If you think the Level Adjustment is too much, you should make it equal to spell level/2, rounded down (minimum of +1... maybe).
To be honest, I don't think it'll ever be a good idea to use spells higher than second level with this, and I don't think there's any reasonable way to balance spells as PCs as you get higher in level. I'm currently trying a 1st level spell character (so +1 LA), and if that works out OK, then I'm going to call this pretty good.