PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] eldritch Disciple

jiriku
2009-10-27, 12:23 PM
I'm building an NPC eldritch theurge disciple, starting at level 6. This character is intended to reappear at various points throughout the campaign, leveling between each appearance and eventually becoming a major force to be reckoned with. Is it better to build this character as cleric 3/warlock 2/eldritch theurge disciple 1, or cleric 4/warlock 1/eldritch theurge disciple 1? I'm inclined toward buffing the cleric caster level to get access to better spells sooner, but I'm concerned that if the warlock flavor is watered down, I might as well have just gone full cleric for all the good that multiclassing did me.

Also, could anyone who's played an eldritch theurge disciple recommend some good spell/invocation combos that showcase its blended magic? I'm less concerned about raw power here and more concerned about creating an interesting and memorable NPC.

Optimystik
2009-10-27, 12:33 PM
I think you mean Eldritch Disciple (ET is the arcane hybrid, ED is the divine one.) Or did you not mean to put the cleric levels there?

jiriku
2009-10-27, 12:36 PM
Oops. Correcting.

Tavar
2009-10-27, 12:42 PM
Eldritch Glaive+divine power+ either essence invocations or the healing blast invocation is fun, depending on if he's a friend or foe. If you want to make him more Warlock-y, I've found th9at switching the requirements around doesn't increase his power much at all(thus you could enter with Warlock4/cleric1). Of course, the real deciding factor is his ending level and if he's going to be an ally or antagonist.

jiriku
2009-10-27, 01:09 PM
The character will be ambivalent towards the party, of good alignment but self-righteous in his certitude, and horribly horribly misguided. Left to his own devices, he'll eventually become a force of terrible destruction and a major antagonist (I use the more disinterested cleric/deity relations from the Eberron setting, so alignment changes will not shut down his cleric spellcasting). If he does have an alignment change, I'd swap out Eldritch Disciple powers to suit his new alignment.

However, I could see the players intervening and either turning him to a more enlightened way or at least persuading him not to create catastrophes.

His ultimate level is of course highly dependent on whether/when the players get it into their heads that they want to kill him, but if he doesn't get curb-stomped by the party, he could reach 20 or even low epic.

ErrantX
2009-10-27, 01:30 PM
You could always just make him gestalt if he's a BBEG, or have him become gestalt when he goes that way.

Barring that, I think Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 10/ (I'd say fudge Mystic Theurge here for additional warlock and cleric advancement, but if not...) something like Divine Oracle (I see the end times and I must do anything to stop it!) or Contemplative (I have decided that to save this world... it must burn.") or something to that effect for the remainder.

Glaivelock would do you the best use as far as what invocations you should get. Things that have all day durations, flight, dispels, things like that help too. The Dead Walk would be good for impromptu hording at low levels.

-X

Optimystik
2009-10-27, 02:00 PM
It's too bad you want to be good; Ur-Priest makes an excellent corollary to Eldritch Disciple.

Builds abound, such as here. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-rules/254731-optimization-help-warlock-ur-priest.html)

jiriku
2009-10-27, 02:39 PM
It's too bad you want to be good; Ur-Priest makes an excellent corollary to Eldritch Disciple.

Builds abound, such as here. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-rules/254731-optimization-help-warlock-ur-priest.html)

Oh, me likey. You know, with the fluff I have for this character...Ur-priest could work. He could even be unconscious of the fact that he's stealing power from the gods rather than receiving it as a gift. And I gather from the thread that Hellfire Warlock allows the character to take Con damage in order to boost the power output of his eldritch blast.

In which books will I find Eldritch Glaive and Hellfire Warlock?

Tavar
2009-10-27, 02:43 PM
Dragon Magic and this web excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3)

gorfnab
2009-10-27, 05:04 PM
Oh, me likey. You know, with the fluff I have for this character...Ur-priest could work. He could even be unconscious of the fact that he's stealing power from the gods rather than receiving it as a gift. And I gather from the thread that Hellfire Warlock allows the character to take Con damage in order to boost the power output of his eldritch blast.

That build is okay. I like this one better.
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3
Binding Naberius "heals" the con damage taken from Hellfire Warlock, 9th level divine spells, rebuke undead, 1 dark invocation, and of course the Eldritch Glaive + Divine Power combo. Not too shabby.

Optimystik
2009-10-27, 05:12 PM

Ur-Priest can also get his powers by worshipping a dead/former/sealed god. Pick a dead deity like Moander and you satisfy both ED and Ur-Priest with ease.

Seconding gorfnab's build, but talk with your DM as some don't like Niberius (or his brother, Strongheart Vest.) You'll be plenty powerful even if you can't stop the con damage though.

Keld Denar
2009-10-27, 05:20 PM
A neat trick with Eldritch Disciples at mid levels is the feat Divine Defiance from FC2. It allows you to burn TU attempts to counter spells as an immediate action. Pick up Voracious Dispeling on your Warlock side, and you have TONS of counterspelling tek, without losing action advantage. Won't be viable at level 6 due to lack of Lesser Invocations, but if you go Clr3/War2/ED, you can have it online by 8 or 9.