PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Thayan Knight

jiriku
2009-10-27, 12:30 PM
I am reflavoring the Thayan Knight prestige class to fill the role of a lictor (the historical Roman bodyguard, not the tyranid monster from Warhammer 40k). I'm keeping the heavy spiked armor and magical tattoos, but redefining them as bodyguards for rulers, politicians, and priests.

Mechanically, I know that the Thayan Knight is nothing to get excited about, so I'm likely to homebrew some power-ups for them. I have a few ideas, but I'd like to see some opinions about the class from the better optimizers here.

What is wrong with the Thayan Knight?

What is right with it?

Edwin
2009-10-27, 12:51 PM
Not sure if there's some gaping hole in the PrC, but my only problem with it is that it's basically just a fighter with better saves, a bonus to intimidate, and half the feats.

I mean, apart from the temporary hit points it can give (which aren't a that great ability), all it's class features is +2 to reflex, +2 versus fear effects, and so on.

Not the worst class out there, and it's got flavor, but not the better one either.

Person_Man
2009-10-27, 03:51 PM
For those unacquainted with the PrC (from Complete Warrior), here's a brief summary:

5 levels.
Weak Pre-reqs (Iron Will, Weapon Focus Longsword, a couple of useless Skills).
Full BAB, strong Fort Save, d10 hit die.
2 Skill Points per level from a mediocre list.
Minor bonuses on various Saves and Intimidate checks.
Auto-Fail Saves against mind-effecting effects of Red Wizards.
One bonus Fighter feat of your choice.
Once per day you can give allies within 10 ft a small number of bonus hit points.

Potential fixes:

Drop the lousy pre-reqs. Just leave it at +5 BAB and the Skills.
Dump minor bonuses. Replace with Immunity to Fear and Immunity to Compulsion, or just a flat out Immunity to Mind Affecting effects as a capstone (keeping the auto-fail from Red Wizards).
Shield Other (www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shieldOther.htm) or something like it as an Extraordinary ability.
Dump the Inspire ability. Add Fast Healing equal to your Thayan Knight class level.
Add in a Fear effect of some type. The ability to to Demoralize as a Swift Action, a Frightful Presence, or something similar.

jiriku
2009-10-27, 03:58 PM
Now that is the hot. Keeps the concept of intimidating presence and resistance to outside influence, but amps them up to significant game-impacting levels.