PDA

View Full Version : I just got Start of Darkness

Huanir
2009-10-27, 03:08 PM
It arrived in the mail today (with someone's hair caught beneath the tape on the package, but I was willing to let that slide).

I have now read it twice and am not the least bit disappointed in my purchase. As a follow-up, I bought On the Origin of PCs this afternoon.

Kyronea
2009-10-27, 03:10 PM
It arrived in the mail today (with someone's hair caught beneath the tape on the package, but I was willing to let that slide).

I have now read it twice and am not the least bit disappointed in my purchase. As a follow-up, I bought On the Origin of PCs this afternoon.

Oh, that's your free sample of Haley's hair. It comes as a complimentary gift.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 03:23 PM

I didn't get any hair.:smallfrown: Also, how do you know it isn't hair from Durkon's beard?

Anyway, good buy. SoD is a great book. You should buy V for Vaarsuvius next (the latest OotS book).

BatRobin
2009-10-27, 04:03 PM
Or golden locks from Elan!

Meg
2009-10-27, 04:04 PM
Lucky! I didn't get hair, I just got a package that had quite clearly been opened. And a weird look from the person in charge of sorting the mail in my building. :smallannoyed:

Trai
2009-10-27, 04:09 PM
I ordered a scratch and dent of OtOoPCs maybe three, four weeks ago and someone else's invoice was inside the front cover (mine was in the envelope in front of the book). Sounds like someone's distracted or something during the packing process.

Starscream
2009-10-27, 05:03 PM

I got Roy's. It's a collector's item because it's so rare.

I keep it on a shelf along with clippings from Dan McNinja's mustache and one of Tycho Brahe's eyebrows.

Ted The Bug
2009-10-27, 05:13 PM
I didn't get any hair.:smallfrown: Also, how do you know it isn't hair from Durkon's beard?

Anyway, good buy. SoD is a great book. You should buy V for Vaarsuvius next (the latest OotS book).

Memes: you can't just create them. And going out of your way to bring them up...well...
That being said, I loved SoD, there's some really smart stuff alongside the comedy. Plus, stewstewstewstewstew!

rainbowjo
2009-10-27, 06:16 PM

Ugh, I was hoping that the actual name being released would stop you :/

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 06:47 PM

When Rich actually does name something (strip, book, book chapter) V for Vaarsuvius, then I will stop.

FujinAkari
2009-10-27, 06:52 PM

Seriously, at this point you are outright lying to people. Please stop X_x

It has gone beyond annoying and is currently disrespectful, at least in my opinion.

Athaniar
2009-10-27, 07:22 PM
Start of Darkness is probably my favorite graphic novel. It has both funny and awesome, like the rest of OotS. It's what made Xykon become one of my all-time favorite villains.

factotum
2009-10-28, 02:25 AM

You clearly haven't read any of the other threads in which he's been harping on about this. I mean, he's basically saying that he's so determined to be right that he won't stop until he is, which is a strange attitude...

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-28, 02:37 AM
I love SoD, especially the end.

Zanaril
2009-10-28, 03:36 AM
I mean, he's basically saying that he's so determined to be right that he won't stop until he is, which is a strange attitude...

It worked for the MITD...

Ceaon
2009-10-28, 03:40 AM
You should buy V for Vaarsuvius next (the latest OotS book).

I'll politely ask you to please stop doing this. It is not remotely related to the OP's post and a bit disrespectful.

Start of Darkness is the only OotS book I have, and I love it. It really adds to the whole OotS universe. From what I've heard though, Origin is not quite as good as SoD. I haven't read it, though, and it is supposedly still a good book.

rainbowjo
2009-10-28, 09:48 AM
I'll politely ask you to please stop doing this. It is not remotely related to the OP's post and a bit disrespectful.

Start of Darkness is the only OotS book I have, and I love it. It really adds to the whole OotS universe. From what I've heard though, Origin is not quite as good as SoD. I haven't read it, though, and it is supposedly still a good book.

Yeah, Origin is good, but i think start of darkness is more epic, while origin is kind of just feel good

Woodsman
2009-10-28, 09:54 AM
I recently got it too.

Great book. Rich did a good job of making Redcloak more sympathetic and Xykon, well, he didn't change much.

I thought it was funny when Keith Baker showed up applying as the villain's henchman. I laughed pretty hard at that.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 10:14 AM

Congrats on your life being immeasurably better than it was yesterday. SoD is in my opinion the best OotS book by far, and that's not just because I'm a Xykon whore (although that is part of it). Xykon's dog is my favourite lesser character ever :smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 10:16 AM
I still don't have the book. :smallfrown:

I really want it, but lack the money.

Weimann
2009-10-28, 10:25 AM
I will also chime in on the SoD praise. It's definately a worthy book, much more so than OtOoPCs, which I find to be rather dull and nondescript.

Jan Mattys
2009-10-28, 12:48 PM
I loved Origin.

I also loved SoD.

SoD is truely a masterpiece. But Origin holds a lot of the original humor of the first strips. And I found the backgrounds of Durkon and Elan hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2009-10-28, 12:59 PM
. Xykon's dog is my favourite lesser character ever :smallbiggrin:

See, what I want to know is how the material component for Animate Dead is bypassed by both Xykon and Redcloak

FoE
2009-10-28, 02:16 PM
See, what I want to know is how the material component for Animate Dead is bypassed by both Xykon and Redcloak

Xykon's sorcery seems to work a little differently in the OotS world. To use the "mutant" example, his power to animate the dead seems to be more of an innate ability that he can turn off and on at will. That would also explain how a little boy could cast a fourth level spell.

And yes, SoD is terrific stuff. Origin of PCs was good, but SoD was great.

Woodsman
2009-10-28, 02:29 PM
Xykon's sorcery seems to work a little differently in the OotS world. To use the "mutant" example, his power to animate the dead seems to be more of an innate ability that he can turn off and on at will. That would also explain how a little boy could cast a fourth level spell.

Yeah, I wondered how he could do that at that age as well.

Crod
2009-10-28, 02:40 PM
SoD is not necessary to enjoy the regular comic, but it gives a very nice background. I just have to fall in line and praise it for being so awesome. I do believe the OOTS comic has peaked higher at times, but the average very high quality of SoD makes it my favorite book.

Grey Watcher
2009-10-28, 04:10 PM
Start of Darkness is an excellent book!

I enjoyed Origin, but I think the reason it doesn't hit with quite the same oomph as Start is because Origin doesn't have a strong story holding it all together. Really, the only over-arching plot is Roy making ready to take on Xykon, which just doesn't get all that much attention. Still, as an anthology of shorter stories concerning the members of the Order and how they all came to be marching into the Dungeon of Dorukan together, it is quite entertaining.

Now, contrast that with Start of Darkness where you have two strongly placed central stories:Xykon's struggle to validate himself as a villain and a legitimate arcane threat (no matter what those snobby Wizards say), and Redcloak's struggle to fulfill The Plan. Now, Rich finds plenty of opportunities for humor, but a strong story is, I think, the thing that really makes you feel that particular sense of satisfaction when you read it. Origins is very good, but it just doesn't quite deliver on this score quite as well.

All in all, bravo Mr. Burlew!

Smile_Time
2009-10-28, 06:16 PM
You should buy V for Vaarsuvius next (the latest OotS book).

Thanks for the plug there Monk Man, I had no idea there was another prequel book. Although V does seem the logical conclusion (if only because he/she is old enough to allow effective prequel chronology)

I do agree with the SoD sentiment. It is very good. It's amazing that the Giant can still do funny on such a topic. And the final face-off was fantastic. Great insight into Xykon. It turns out he's not as much of a moron as some of his antics would dictate...

Kish
2009-10-28, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the plug there Monk Man, I had no idea there was another prequel book.

There isn't. Berserk Monk is pretending that the latest announced book, Don't Split the Party, is actually called V for Vaarsuvius.

Smile_Time
2009-10-28, 06:55 PM
Well, in that case, I will continue to hold my breath and eagerly await the next prequel book... :smalleek:

In all honesty though, it does make sense that he would give the book that appelation. He/she certainly took centre stage for this installment. Wizard power! d4 hit dice, and they still kick ass!

JT Jag
2009-10-28, 07:14 PM
I got Roy's. It's a collector's item because it's so rare.

I keep it on a shelf along with clippings from Dan McNinja's mustache and one of Tycho Brahe's eyebrows.It's very rare for a reason.

It's his nosehair.

Starscream
2009-10-28, 07:24 PM
It's very rare for a reason.

It's his nosehair.

Wow! A nosehair from a person without a nose! I wonder how they got it from him without him noticing.

Then again, I stole his pants 50 strips ago, and no one seems to be able to tell the difference.