mabriss lethe
2009-10-27, 03:23 PM
the offending quote:

If you use this ability to heal injuries, you channel positive
energy to heal a living creature of a number of points
of damage equal to twice your factotum level + your Int
modifier. The energy will also deal the same amount of
damage to undead targets.

1. What is the range for this ability? Touch makes the most sense, but nowhere in the text is it specified.

2. Which mathematical formula would be appropriate for determining the damage healed? 2(factotum level +int mod) or 2(factotum level) +int mod?

deuxhero
2009-10-27, 03:28 PM
2:PEMDAS, though 1*2*2!=1*3, so hardly the only exception in D&D math.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-27, 03:44 PM
2:PEMDAS, though 1*2*2!=1*3, so hardly the only exception in D&D math.The problem is you don't know if there are any parenthesis. However, bonuses are applied in the most beneficial order, so I'd go with the first.

Person_Man
2009-10-27, 04:08 PM
My reading.

1. Touch. Every other healing ability I can think of is touch.
2. (Factotum Level * 2) + Int. That fits the standard order of operations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations), and it would put it in line with other healing abilities. 2(Factotum level + Int) seems too strong, considering that you can use it 2 + (Factotum level/5) + Wis bonus times per day.

I stipulate that this is based entirely upon my horse sense, not any specific rule. You might want to check the errata and FAQ for a more official ruling.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-27, 05:23 PM
I agree with (lvl x 2) + Int, and Touch range.

Now, does Opportunistic Piety fuel divine feats?

FMArthur
2009-10-27, 05:42 PM
The problem is you don't know if there are any parenthesis. However, bonuses are applied in the most beneficial order, so I'd go with the first.

I think they would say "twice the sum of your factotum level and your int bonus" or similarly worded if it was intended that way, and that's the way you see it written for abilities which do that. An assumption that the author doesn't know the order of operations is not enough to go on to say you can do whatever you want with it.