PDA

View Full Version : Craziest thing you ever saw at a Ren Fair

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 03:34 PM
You can interpret the word "crazy" any way you like (crazy as in awesome, crazy as in out of place, whatever). I went to one Sunday (my first ever, though I've been LARPing for awhile and playing D&D since middle school so it wasn't an alien experience) and I saw a storm trooper in a kilt and Robert Downy Jr.'s character from Tropic Thunder.:smallbiggrin: I myself went in a suit of armor made out of soda pop tabs.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-27, 03:53 PM
I've gone in scale mail made out of AOL cds.

Can't recall anything to strange.

Street vendors selling indulgences was pretty great.

Trai
2009-10-27, 04:05 PM
I don't think I have it on digital, but I have a pretty awesome picture from about three years ago (I think; pretty sure I was fifteen) of me and a guy who had the best Jack Sparrow costume I've ever seen.

The man looked exactly like Johnny Depp; he was perfect. He happened to be at a bar when my stepdad and I asked him for a picture, so he handed me the bottle he had as a prop and told me I could hold his rum. :smallbiggrin:

varthalon
2009-10-27, 04:12 PM
I've gone in scale mail made out of AOL cds.

Can't recall anything to strange.

Scale mail made out of cds wasn't strange? :smallbiggrin:

Had one year that two guys were giving a really energetic mock sword fight. Everyone watched for a few moments and gradually started getting uncomfortable... they were really going at it and it seemed kind of dangerous for a mock fight. When one guy ran the other through the arm and they kept going people finally started realizing it wasn't mock at all.

I still think the cops and EMTs should have taken a bit of extra time to come in costume (just kidding), very odd to watch one of the organizers (in full 14th century nobleman's regalia) talking to three very disapproving looking 21st century cops in uniforms and sunglasses.

Slightly off topic since it was at sci/fi convention rather than a Ren Fair: had a girl dressed in a chainmail bikini that they had to send home temporarily... looked great costume but the chainmail was kind of a loose weave and she didn't have any backing to it or clothing under it. She fixed it and returned and still looked great enough to have a flock of guys following her around the convention.

daggaz
2009-10-27, 05:00 PM
Slightly off topic since it was at sci/fi convention rather than a Ren Fair: had a girl dressed in a chainmail bikini that they had to send home temporarily... looked great costume but the chainmail was kind of a loose weave and she didn't have any backing to it or clothing under it. She fixed it and returned and still looked great enough to have a flock of guys following her around the convention.

This is why I live in Europe...

Moff Chumley
2009-10-27, 05:30 PM
What, Burning Man isn't good enough for you? :smalltongue:

Silence
2009-10-27, 05:59 PM
What, Burning Man isn't good enough for you? :smalltongue:

Oh dear God.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 06:10 PM
Klingons.

I hear they are regulars.

chiasaur11
2009-10-27, 06:27 PM
A Robert Gadling bound book.

Funny thing. Guy who had it said there'd been a guy who maybe was a descendant of his in earlier that day.

KnightDisciple
2009-10-27, 06:53 PM
Heh. I'll post some pics.

Captain Jack Sparrow:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/4031394292_5b872392e4.jpg

Liev Schrieber as a pirate: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2655/4031393234_3fbb60600c.jpg

Stephen Colbert made an appearance: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3898889672_c42a5967a1.jpg

As did the Pope: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/4039157466_871c3da36b.jpg

His Holiness even blessed my holy water: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4039158404_4eecdfe673.jpg

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 06:55 PM
I also saw a guy dressed as Captain Hammer. Next year, I'm gonna have my chainmail trench coat done completing my chainmail Rorschach costume which will be also to wear at a Ren Fair!!!:smallbiggrin:

Trog
2009-10-27, 06:55 PM
This is why I live in Europe...

So you can avoid the chainmail bikini clad women? More for the rest of us!

I've never really seen anything crazy at a Ren Fair that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. Oh well.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 06:58 PM
So you can avoid the chainmail bikini clad women? More for the rest of us!.

It's not the women you should avoid. It's the chainmail bikini clad men.

Pyrian
2009-10-27, 07:24 PM
I dunno. The chainmail bikini wearing men I've seen were never causing any problems. :smallcool: Live and let live, I figure.

RandomNPC
2009-10-27, 10:01 PM
Last year at the mideval fair i saw a female Inu-yasha and a female Koga walking around. There was also a dark link, but dark link is technacly fantasy mideval anyway, he just wasn't there on elf week. but inu-yasha is a continent away, and they were there on a 'more historicly accurate' week.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-27, 10:08 PM
Craziest thing I ever saw at Renfest.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs255.snc1/10220_1158901772453_1225020560_30752795_6676185_n. jpg
>_>
We always get a Jack Sparrow impersonator, the pope came last year, and I saw a guy in a wookie costume one year.

Anuan
2009-10-27, 10:29 PM
This was at the abbey tournament, which is a lot more accurate than any ren-fair, but...This;
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/Adreal/IMG_1178.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/Adreal/IMG_1177.jpg

Lycan 01
2009-10-27, 10:34 PM
Wow, I really want to go to an official Ren Fair now...

My school held one last year. It was the first time in years my college ran it, although it was more-so a Shakespear Festival. The professor in charge asked my class for suggestions, and I started belting out random ideas for characters and skits. A few weeks later, and I'm basically to the co-planner for the Mississippi College Shakespear Festival. :smallconfused:

In the end, things... almost went horribly wrong. My friend, who played the lute, ended up cancelling his role as the bard THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW, and the other bard on guitar ended up quiting THAT DAY. :smalleek: But, I got to run an Alchemy booth and accidentally blew up my English professor's drink, my roommate ran around dressed as a priest yelling at sinners and trying to pawn off Indulgences, and my girlfriend was Robin Hood.

During the show, the Theatre Society put on several short acts and play scenes. Well, right before the show, we made a last minute change. In the middle of one of the plays (The Miser, IIRC) , which featured a very promiscuous female character, my roommate suddenly appears in the back of the audience screaming that the Theatre and its content are an afront to God. Cue me and my girlfriend, who promptly jump him, and drag him off at knifepoint. :smallbiggrin:

Some professional Ren Fair actors showed up, and apparently somebody in the Theatre Department ended up at the same resteraunt as them that evening. They overheard the Ren Fair guys talking about our Shakespear Festival, and apparently they thought it was pretty good. Add that to the fact that we actually broke even between costs and ticket sales, me, my professor, and the rest of the Theatre folks were pretty proud of ourselves. :smallbiggrin:

Pyrian
2009-10-27, 11:03 PM
Craziest thing I ever saw at Renfest.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs255.snc1/10220_1158901772453_1225020560_30752795_6676185_n. jpgI'd, um, best stay away. :smalleek:

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 11:04 PM
A woman's underwire bra.

That was just inappropriate breach of character.

And I think sexual harassment on the others' part.

zillion ninjas
2009-10-28, 12:11 AM
Captain Jack Sparrow:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/4031394292_5b872392e4.jpg

Wait - in the background - is that Michael Moore cosplaying as Harry Potter? :smallconfused:

Stephen Colbert made an appearance: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3898889672_c42a5967a1.jpg
"This is me and my Ceramic friend!"

Klingons.

I've heard of that, or of people dressed as Starfleet showing up to "visit a primitive planet".

I did once see a minivan in the parking lot at a Ren Fest that was painted to look like a ST:TNG shuttlecraft. If there was an "away team" at the Fest that day, then I must have missed it.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-28, 12:37 AM
I've seen some pretty wild stuff at the MD RenFest. I think most notable this year was actually outside in the parking area. There were people tailgating RenFest! I have decided that this is how I'm going to do it in the future. I'm not sure how future just yet, but some day, I will tailgate RenFest as well. :smallcool:

Berserk Monk - did you witness this at the MD RenFest? Because I swear we saw a guy dressed just like that this Sunday too and it'd be a shame if we were both there at the same time and didn't at least say hello to each other.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-28, 01:20 AM
This was at the abbey tournament, which is a lot more accurate than any ren-fair, but...This;
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/Adreal/IMG_1178.jpg
That is the oddest thing you've ever seen at a fest/fair?
o.0

We usually have a couple of those walking around on the bigger events.

Weirdest thing for me:
A startrooper wizard battling a Star Trek Jack Sparrow.

The Jack Sparrow was shouting: You don't touch my Fwuffy!

Sitting a bit off from the fight, was a puppy dressed as a ninja.

Bhu
2009-10-28, 02:55 AM
A group of naked fat chicks. Not bad looking mind you but their being stone drunk and on the prowl was a bit off-putting. The looks on the faces of several of the locals made up for it though.

Anuan
2009-10-28, 04:55 AM
That is the oddest thing you've ever seen at a fest/fair?
o.0

Remember that the Abbey Tournament is mostly educational with markets etc :smalltongue: They're pretty serious about their stuff. Most of the people that come dressed in wizard robes etc look very uncomfortable XD

KuReshtin
2009-10-28, 06:04 AM
I want to get a complete set of Viking clothes for the next Viking Festival in Largs. Granted, it's still a fr way off, at the end of August, but it'd still be cool. Walking around town in full garb with a sword and/or an axe hanging from the belt would be kind of cool.

Of course, it could be a clash of styles as there's a Cowboys/Western festival on the small island off the coast from where I live at the same time as the Viking festival, so you've got tons of people walking around with stupid fake Stetsons (pastell coloured with fluffy brims) and stuff all that weekend.

smellie_hippie
2009-10-28, 06:54 AM
I once saw a tye-dyed hippie in overalls carrying a baby... :smallamused:

Trai
2009-10-28, 04:11 PM
I've heard of that, or of people dressed as Starfleet showing up to "visit a primitive planet".

I did once see a minivan in the parking lot at a Ren Fest that was painted to look like a ST:TNG shuttlecraft. If there was an "away team" at the Fest that day, then I must have missed it.

They did the Star Trek Ren Fair joke on an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon dressed up as Spock :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2009-10-28, 08:46 PM
Any of you see the guys from Free Credit Report . com? :smallsmile:

From an outsider's perpective, dressing up as Star Trek people for a Ren Fair seems a little rude. I'd think you should show respect by either dressing for the time period or just wearing regular clothes. Dressing in sci-fi seems to be an attempt to "steal their thunder" or something like that :smalltongue:

(notice I spelled it out not to link to that site, it is pretty much a scam)

Hazkali
2009-10-29, 07:06 PM
We don't particularly have anything like the SCA or Ren-fairs over here. That said, we do have a lot of re-enactors (i.e. Historical accuracy a must) and English Heritage have a good event that has re-enactors for all time periods, quite a spectacle.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-29, 07:21 PM
There was one girl, all she wore was ... Well, basicaly a bark bakini and fairy wings.

Solaris
2009-10-29, 07:34 PM
And that's why I love the RenFest despite my SCAdian heritage.

Our chicks just stick to c'maille and bunny-fur bikinis.

Anuan
2009-10-29, 09:02 PM
And that's why I love the RenFest despite my SCAdian heritage.

Our chicks just stick to c'maille and bunny-fur bikinis.

And the problem here is...?