PDA

View Full Version : Dislocationitp

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 03:38 PM
So my friend dislocated his toe last night in such a way that it popped out and then snapped back into place during aikido. Only he hasn't let anyone really look at it and it's painful enough that he can't walk due to the pain.

Should I pressure him to go seek treatment tomorrow to make sure it reset properly or at least to get something rigged up to keep his toe aligned properly?

Anyone know about dislocations? I've been having trouble looking them up on wedMD to see what kind of recovery times to expect...

blackfox
2009-10-27, 03:59 PM
If it hurts now as much as it did before... it's probably still dislocated. He should go to the ER so they can set it and chew him out for leaving it that long. I'm pretty sure that once dislocated joints are set, it takes about a month? two? if the bone didn't have to crack to get dislocated, because it would mostly be tendon damage. If there's a fracture as well it'd be longer.

thubby
2009-10-27, 04:09 PM
don't pressure him, drug/sap/sneak attack/stunning fist him and drag his but in. if something like that sets wrong he's in for a world of hurt as years go by.

KuReshtin
2009-10-27, 04:23 PM
He should definitely go see a doctor if it's painful enough for him not to be able to walk.

When you dislocate something, there's a possibility that nerves get trapped and pinched if the joint snaps back by itself, or if it's snapped back incorrectly by someone who doesn't know what he/she is doing.
If nerves are trapped and are left untreated, it will very likely lead to chronic pain for the forseeable future.

So definitely get him to go see a doctor.

cycoris
2009-10-27, 04:55 PM
He should definitely get someone to see it as soon as possible.

And he should also put an ice pack on it before he goes, so it won't be as swollen and therefore easier to realign if necessary.

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 05:12 PM
So current condition is that it is stiff and hurts if he tries to move it outside of the range of motion he can comfortably move it in and it stiffens up more for awhile and causes a dull pain if he tries to expand his toe's range of motion, say by walking.

Timberwolf
2009-10-27, 05:33 PM
I dislocated my knee at jui Jitsu. 7 years down the line it still ain't right, sufficiently so that I'm off to see the surgeon about it again.

make the idiot go and see someone about it.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 06:13 PM
He should likely see his regular doctor. Going into the ER will probably a very long wait.

But really the choice is up to him. If there is something wrong with the toe, the longer he waits the harder it will be to fix.

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 06:15 PM
The health clinic at the university which is where he usually goes if a doctor or medical attention is needed, won't see him until tuesday, so it's basically ER or show up and try to buffalo them into seeing him.

You'd think he'd have learned his lesson about ignoring things and hoping they'd go away after what happened to his knees.:smallsigh: