PDA

View Full Version : Etymology of Vancian casting

JeenLeen
2009-10-27, 03:39 PM
I understand that Vancian casting is the type of magic used by casters who have a daily alloted spells/level.

I've never been clear on how the name was derived. Where does 'Vancian' come from, and does it have any meaning outside of the context of D&D?

(If such is a real-world philosophical or religious term, or otherwise something that could make discussion contrary to forum rules, please PM me a wikipedia article or something.)

Morty
2009-10-27, 03:40 PM
It's derived from Jack Vance, who first introduced it in his books.

Tamburlaine
2009-10-27, 04:20 PM
Indeed, as Morty says, it's the system invented by Jack Vance. Though in his Dying Earth series, the spells are much more awesome than the D&D ones.

huttj509
2009-10-27, 04:34 PM
*cough*Zelaznian*cough*

From wikipedia (on Vance's Dying Earth series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Earth):

The magic system used in Dungeons & Dragons (in which a wizard is limited in the number of spells that can be simultaneously remembered and forgets them once they are cast) was based on the magic of Dying Earth. Some of the spells from D&D are based on spells mentioned in the Dying Earth series, notably the prismatic spray. Similarly, magic items from the Dying Earth stories such as ioun stones also made their way into Dungeons & Dragons. One of the deities of magic in Dungeons & Dragons is named Vecna (an anagram of Vance).

However, the newer (well, 3.5 newer, not 4e) idea of preparing spells, not memorizing and forgetting them, is similar to Zelazny's Amber series (later parts), where a spell was basically pre-cast, leaving off some somatic and/or material things, for example, and "hung" to be available to complete and finish casting when needed.

bosssmiley
2009-10-27, 06:22 PM
Indeed, as Morty says, it's the system invented by Jack Vance. Though in his Dying Earth series, the spells are much more awesome than the D&D ones.

Yeah, like the 'swirl ever faster on your own axis until the centrifugal force causes you to explode in a shower of gore' one. The stories might not go anywhere, but the Dying Earth has some shiny FX. :smallbiggrin:

@v: I see the perfidious cetacean lobby have been throwing their weight around again...

Tamburlaine
2009-10-27, 07:04 PM
*cough*Zelaznian*cough*

However, the newer (well, 3.5 newer, not 4e) idea of preparing spells, not memorizing and forgetting them, is similar to Zelazny's Amber series (later parts), where a spell was basically pre-cast, leaving off some somatic and/or material things, for example, and "hung" to be available to complete and finish casting when needed.

You know, I've read both series several times, and played truckloads of DnD, but I never made that connection before. Huh. :smallconfused:

Bosssmiley, while I concede that Phandaal's Gyrator is fabulous, The Excellent Prismatic Spray is my favourite. As I recall, the description from the rpg was "Instantly kills any one creature smaller than a whale". Nice.:smallamused:

AshDesert
2009-10-27, 07:12 PM

The fluff is different, however both of them are based on the Wizard having a limited number of spells per day and needing to think about what spells he needs beforehand, so the mechanics in game end up being pretty much the same. Plus, Vancian has a history with the game (and I personally think it sounds better than Zelaznian, despite the copious amounts of Z's).

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-27, 07:34 PM
Plus, Vancian has a history with the game

Technically, both do; the "Inspirational Reading" section at the back of the 1e DMG lists both Vance, Jack. THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD, THE DYING EARTH, et al. and Zelazny, Roger. JACK OF SHADOWS; "Amber" Series; et al. However, 1e/2e definitely match Vance better where 3e matches Zelazny better--and of course there's no Greyhawk god whose name is an anagram of Zelazny. :smallwink: