PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spellcraft and non-standard spells

TxNetWolf
2009-10-27, 04:31 PM
Rules as written (RAW) state that you can identify a spell as it is being cast if you succeed at a Spellcraft DC 15+spell's level.

ok.

So how would a DM handle a completely unique spell or a spell that has been researched/created by a player (and an NPC is making the Spellcraft check) but the spell is not in "common" usage???

Do they "just know" the spell name if they succeed?
Do they then get a simple description of the spell's effects?

Opinions wanted!!

Myou
2009-10-27, 04:33 PM
Rules as written (RAW) state that you can identify a spell as it is being cast if you succeed at a Spellcraft DC 15+spell's level.

ok.

So how would a DM handle a completely unique spell or a spell that has been researched/created by a player (and an NPC is making the Spellcraft check) but the spell is not in "common" usage???

Do they "just know" the spell name if they succeed?
Do they then get a simple description of the spell's effects?

Opinions wanted!!

They know the exact effects but not the name. Simple really. :3

AslanCross
2009-10-27, 04:34 PM
Every spell was invented by someone at some time. If it's just a variant of a common spell, I'd just add 2 to the DC to identify it. If it's completely unique, the Spellcrafter MIGHT be able to discern the effects at +5 or +10 DC, but wouldn't know the name.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-27, 04:37 PM
I would say that rather than knowing the spell that has been cast by name, they know the purpose of the spell. There's no way they'll know the spell's name if it's unique.

I would give them a very rough description of the spell's power for a simple success ("this spell uses fire to deal damage at range") with more detail for a higher check result. If they got the DC + 10, I'd give them the whole description ("this spell deals 1d6 fire damage per level in a 20ft radius spherical burst, at long range").

Godskook
2009-10-27, 04:50 PM
I assume spellcraft works in the same way that identifying say someone's swimming stroke. Doesn't matter if swimmer calls it the supafly, it still looks like a sidestroke.

Myou
2009-10-27, 05:14 PM
I assume spellcraft works in the same way that identifying say someone's swimming stroke. Doesn't matter if swimmer calls it the supafly, it still looks like a sidestroke.

Precisely. Spellcraft looks at what the mage is doing, and extrapolates the result, so even a highly complex custom spell has the same DC by RAI and by RAW. Anything else is a houserule, but not an unreasonable one.