PDA

View Full Version : Why Lose Love, When You Can Make It? [3.5 Item]

criticalstriker
2009-10-27, 04:45 PM
It kind of disappointed me that the only type of "love potion" in the DMG (That I'm aware of) was the Elixir of Love - a rather useless item with a low DC and short lifespan. So for a character I'm making (a psychotic spider, long story) that is probably going to make use of love potions, I decided to make up some new ones. Here are my potions.

Love Potion, Lesser

Love Potion, Lesser: Called the Commoner's Affection, a lesser love potion is a widely available love potion that can (with some saving) even be afforded on a commoner's salary. In order to take affect, a lesser love potion must be consumed by the perspective target (it has no taste, scent or color and may thus be put into a drink or food). Once consumed, the target is entitled to a DC 15 Will save. If the target fails this will save, they become infatuated with the first person they lay their eyes upon.

Treat targets that have become infatuated via this potion as Helpful for game purposes. This affect lasts for precisely 7 days before wearing off. If the target consumes another love potion (and fails another Will save, this one at a -2 penalty), the timer is reset.

If it is brought to the person's attention that they have been the victim of a love potion, they may make an immediate Will save with a +2 modifier to break the enchantment.

This love potion may be broken by casting Calm Emotions and making a successful CL check with a DC of 20, or by casting Remove Curse or similar spell.
Faint Enchantment; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, Charm Person; Price 500 gp; 250 gp + 20 xp.

Love Potion

Love Potion: Called Liquid Love, this potion is a potent magical substance that is available only in moderate to large cities, and is far too expensive for most commoners to afford. This potion is popular among ex-adventurers and low level nobles, because of how difficult it is to resist and how long it lasts.

Like a lesser love potion, this potion has no taste, smell or color and may be blended into drinks or food without fear of detection. Anyone who consumes this potion must make a DC 25 Will save or fall in love with the first creature they see after drinking it. While in love, the target is considered Helpful to the person they fell in love with, and will remain that way for precisely 6 months after the initial consumption. If another love potion is consumed (and another will save is successfully made, with a -2 penalty).

If it is brought to the victim's attention that they have been given a love potion, they gain an immediate Will save with a +2 modifier to attempt to break the enchantment.

This love potion may be broken by casting a Remove Curse or higher level spell.
Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, Charm Person; Price 4,000 gp; 2000 gp + 160 xp.

Love Potion, Greater

Love Potion, Greater: Called Eternal Love, this love potion is extremely powerful and is permanent under most circumstances.

Like all love potions, this potion has no taste, smell or color and may be mixed into food very easily. Once consumed, the victim must make a DC 35 Will save or fall in love with the first person they see. While in love, the victim is considered Helpful at all times.

Unlike other love potions, if the target fails the Will save to resist this potion, they fall in love with the person for as long as they have a mind with which to love. The only way to break this enchantment is by a Wish or Miracle.
Major Enchantment; CL 13th; Craft Wondrous Item, Dominate; 10,000 gp; 5,000 gp + 400 xp.

Notes About All Love Potions

1: All love potions must be consumed. They may not be introduced in any other manner.

2: If the person that the victim has fallen in love with ever has an affair that is brought to the victim's attention, this enchantment is instantly broken.

3: If the person that the victim has fallen in love with ever harms (physically or psychologically) the victim intentionally, the enchantment is instantly broken.

4: If the person that the victim has fallen in love with is blatantly exploiting the victim's love, the victim receives a Will save with a +5 modifier to break the enchantment.

Silverscale
2009-10-27, 06:21 PM
These seem really good. I'm not sure about the prices but then I've never really been very good at judging that sort of thing. To me McDonadls' dollar menu food is barely worth the price but i know from working in a restaurant myself for a while, that they probably aren't really making much profit considering the price of ingredients. <Shrug>

deuxhero
2009-10-27, 06:28 PM
Eh, love potions always struck me as creepy, and your wording of title does not help.

imp_fireball
2009-10-27, 08:27 PM
The love potions sound like an expensive version of charm person. Greater love potion is an easy way to defeat a BBEG (DC 35 will save is quite drastic if unprepared).

The reason I'm assuming this is charm person is because it doesn't necessarily define love (beyond assuming the victim might want sexual relations :smallredface:).

A villain that's charmed will still want to carry out their plans, only they now think of the charmer as a 'friend', and (for purposes of simplification) might not want to directly throw the 'friend' in the way of harm caused by said plans; and will possibly notify the player of the plans (which could create an advantage, although the villain isn't immediately defeated). But they still want to carry out their plans! What if the villain is an omnicidal maniac and, in loving the PC that cursed them, wish that PC to die with them ala Hitler and his girl friend? Breaking up with the villain will cause a mind screw - would it end the affects of the potion immediately?

The only qualm I have with this is that it doesn't attempt to define love - not for philosophical fluff purposes, but for mechanical reasons. You might as well call it 'Potion of Charm Person' albeit with extended duration and possible funky/awkward role playing circumstances.

It'd be hilarious if the Chaotic Evil party member got to live happily ever after with a trophy wife of a rich queen/princess that he got involved with when someone as morally damned as that was thought by the good members (who also felt sorry for him) to eventually die drunk on his inert riches after the campaign, living a life of regret for his sins. :smallbiggrin:

criticalstriker
2009-10-27, 08:54 PM
These seem really good. I'm not sure about the prices but then I've never really been very good at judging that sort of thing. To me McDonadls' dollar menu food is barely worth the price but i know from working in a restaurant myself for a while, that they probably aren't really making much profit considering the price of ingredients. <Shrug>

The prices are probably one of my biggest concerns, so you're not the only one unsure about them :smalltongue:

Eh, love potions always struck me as creepy, and your wording of title does not help.

This comment made me lol. I thank you for that. But yeah, love potions are quite a bit creepy.

The love potions sound like an expensive version of charm person. Greater love potion is an easy way to defeat a BBEG (DC 35 will save is quite drastic if unprepared).

The reason I'm assuming this is charm person is because it doesn't necessarily define love (beyond assuming the victim might want sexual relations ).

A villain that's charmed will still want to carry out their plans, only they now think of the charmer as a 'friend', and (for purposes of simplification) might not want to directly throw the 'friend' in the way of harm caused by said plans; and will possibly notify the player of the plans (which could create an advantage, although the villain isn't immediately defeated). But they still want to carry out their plans! What if the villain is an omnicidal maniac and, in loving the PC that cursed them, wish that PC to die with them ala Hitler and his girl friend? Breaking up with the villain will cause a mind screw - would it end the affects of the potion immediately?

The only qualm I have with this is that it doesn't attempt to define love - not for philosophical fluff purposes, but for mechanical reasons. You might as well call it 'Potion of Charm Person' albeit with extended duration and possible funky/awkward role playing circumstances.

It'd be hilarious if the Chaotic Evil party member got to live happily ever after with a trophy wife of a rich queen/princess that he got involved with when someone as morally damned as that was thought by the good members (who also felt sorry for him) to eventually die drunk on his inert riches after the campaign, living a life of regret for his sins.

I had quite a bit of trouble defining it from a mechanical standpoint, honestly. I want it to be a literal love potion, but I couldn't think of how to do it mechanically. The best I could come up with was the Helpful thing.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-28, 08:13 AM
The Philter of Love is already one of the basic magic items isn't it?

Not criticising, just asking.

THat did something along the lines of Charm with the adendum that the victim wanted to be near the target all the time, developed a fondness for staring at them and got possessive of the target.

I presume it's one of those things that people brew and hand to their minions so that the adventurers get themselves into hillarious situations thinking it's a healing potion...

imp_fireball
2009-10-28, 06:10 PM
I presume it's one of those things that people brew and hand to their minions so that the adventurers get themselves into hillarious situations thinking it's a healing potion...

And logically if it's a healing potion, why didn't the minion use it when they were alive? Silly adventurers... :smallamused:

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-28, 06:34 PM
I've always found that PCs go for the guy drinking the potion.

Perhaps the monsters noticed this long ago.

Evolution in action!

deuxhero
2009-10-28, 06:45 PM
I've always found that PCs go for the guy drinking the potion.

Perhaps the monsters noticed this long ago.

Evolution in action!

Really? Isn't it better to take out the guys who aren't wasting their actions and money?

Serania
2009-10-28, 11:02 PM
Good lord no. That's resources you could be having. You have to stop them immediately, before they waste any more of the expensive one-use things that are about to be yours.