PDA

View Full Version : Favorite magic items

Amador
2009-10-27, 05:01 PM
What are some of everyone's favorite magic items in terms of utility?

AslanCross
2009-10-27, 05:05 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack is something anyone should have.
Infinite Scrollcase is a must for any caster.
The extra-dimensional storage items, in general, will find use in ANY campaign. Wand Bracelet, Cloak of Weaponry and the like are all pretty cool.
Blasting Chime (Magic of Eberron) is pretty cool. It's a sonic cannon in the form of a bell.

Bag of Boulders is pretty neat too.

jiriku
2009-10-27, 05:08 PM
My wizards cannot live without a portable hole. I install marble flooring and mahogany panels inside, add a large work desk with a comfy chair, a bookshelf, and a rack of storage bins for gear and loot, and I have a comfy (if somewhat cramped) portable office. You just can't beat that kind of convenience.

Aron Times
2009-10-27, 05:09 PM
1. Ring of Sustenance - Very useful for the adventurer on the go. Unfortunately, not available in 4E.

2. Final Messenger - My death will be avenged!

3. Any magical instrument in 4E - Annihilate entire armies with the power of ROCK AND ROLL!

Optimystik
2009-10-27, 05:14 PM
Ring of Sustenance is win.

Phylactery of Faithfulness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofFaithfulness) is probably my favorite though. I love "catch-all" items like that.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-27, 05:27 PM
Gloves of the Starry Sky. Light on demand is handy, and the ability to convert low level spells to magic missiles is nice at low levels. Plus, not wearing gloves is begging for contact poison traps, and these are cheap.

Set bonuses too. =)

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-27, 05:36 PM
Does the Head of Vecna (http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm) count?

My favorite all-time magical item is the psychoactive skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus).

The ring of the darkhidden (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_of_the_darkhidden) is pretty insane, too. It's been errata'd in the MIC for 2,000 gp.

Followed by a ring of chameleon power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#chameleonPower) (+10 to Hide AND a hat of disguise all in one), the ring of sustenance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#sustenance), the hand of the mage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#handoftheMage), and the various bags of tricks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#bagofTricks).

After that, it depends on what suits my character. I generally prefer utility items that can be used in fun and interesting ways, to ones that grant +bonuses.

Chrono22
2009-10-27, 05:40 PM
The Bag of Flames is a neat, interesting, and flavorful magic item.
I also like the Tome of Worldly Memory and Map of Unseen Lands.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-27, 05:43 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack: Already covered.
Ring of Sustenance: Already covered
Hand of Glory: Extra ring, for 8k gold.
Silent Portal Disc: Door ninjas.
Soulfire: Best armor enchantment ever. Immunity to negative energy and death spells/effects.
Anklets of translocation: Short distance teleport, as an immediate action.
Collar of Umbral Metamorphasis: A template with a slew of bonuses, for 10k

AslanCross
2009-10-27, 05:47 PM
I forgot to mention the Blast Disk and its big brother, the Exploding Spike.
Planted magical explosives for the saboteur in you.

Sintanan
2009-10-27, 05:53 PM
I prefer those blasting spheres found in Races of Stone (?). Animate them and you get those explosive marbles used in the Aeon Flux movie. :smallbiggrin:

I'll double-check their name and sourcebook when I get home (about 2 hrs) and edit this post.

deuxhero
2009-10-27, 06:04 PM
Ring of Prestidigitation

DarthCyberWolf
2009-10-27, 06:11 PM
Boots of Swiftness, gotta love 'em.

Jergmo
2009-10-27, 06:12 PM
Portable Hole for my rogue. :smallsmile:

bosssmiley
2009-10-27, 06:13 PM
Blessed Book - for wizards.
Cloak of Arachnida - because Spiderman.
Handy Haversack - coz bearers can fail morale checks.
Sword +1 - coz magic weapon is a waste of a spell slot.
Rod of Wonder - coz Russian Roulette passes the time during talk encounters. :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2009-10-27, 06:18 PM
Marvelous pigments (4k). Paint a bajillion mundane items at will. Every item in the PH is now available.
Boots of speed (12k). If your martial character doesn't have another constant source of haste, then this item is by far the best bang-for-your-buck.
Lesser metamagic rod of extend spell (3,000 gp). Cheap, bufftastic.
Low level scrolls. Lots of *******in' low level scrolls, for every utility thing not worth spending a spell slot on.

Jergmo
2009-10-27, 06:18 PM
Blessed Book - for wizards.
Cloak of Arachnida - because Spiderman.
Handy Haversack - coz bearers can fail morale checks.
Sword +1 - coz magic weapon is a waste of a spell slot.
Rod of Wonder - coz Russian Roulette passes the time during talk encounters. :smallbiggrin:

I dunno, if you're not high enough to have found a magic weapon or are in a low magic setting, Magic Weapon is your bestest friend evar.

Shadow attack!

And it's the difference between a single low level spell slot and thousands of gold.

ericgrau
2009-10-27, 06:20 PM
I see your +1 sword, and your precious spell slot and raise you a 25 gp scroll of magic weapon. Also, scrolls of spiderclimb because you likewise only need it some of the time. Far cheaper this way.

Jergmo
2009-10-27, 06:33 PM
I see your +1 sword, and your precious spell slot and raise you a 25 gp scroll of magic weapon.

Point well taken.

Samb
2009-10-27, 06:47 PM
My favorite all-time magical item is the psychoactive skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus).

Followed by a ring of chameleon power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#chameleonPower) (+10 to Hide AND a hat of disguise all in one)
have to agree with these two. I also like skin of the hero for the sheer bonuses.

Power-linked shard and Power Repository shards from Magic of eberron make kalashtar the only psionic race worth considering.

Celestial armor is another favorite for my rogue. great bonus to AC, minimal check penalty, high max DEX bonus and gives fly 1/day. I get this first chance I can to make my rogue unhittable.

Thane of Fife
2009-10-27, 06:50 PM
I've always been partial to the Neverending Barrel of Grog and the Neverending Barrel of Salt Pork.

The Machine of Lum the Mad is a classic.

JellyPooga
2009-10-27, 06:51 PM
Ring Gates. They're expensive at 40,000gp per pair, but they're just soooo useful. It's just a shame they're limited by how much you can shove through one per day (otherwise you could theoretically create a perpetual motion machine).

Jergmo
2009-10-27, 07:00 PM
Ring Gates. They're expensive at 40,000gp per pair, but they're just soooo useful. It's just a shame they're limited by how much you can shove through one per day (otherwise you could theoretically create a perpetual motion machine).

They put that in there to specifically avoid that. They knew they couldn't trust players with that in their hands. :smalltongue:

ericgrau
2009-10-27, 07:01 PM
Ya, 2e players talked about draining oceans with ring gates. Though as an engineer I know it'd be too slow and rain would refill it faster.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 07:03 PM
Anything that ups the str (I play mostly warriors).

BenTheJester
2009-10-27, 07:39 PM
Few are the characters I play that don't have an Healing Belt and a Belt of Battle later on.

Early on, Healing Belt beats every other means of healing. Later, it is the most cost efficient way of healing(outside of battle, since you're wearing your trusty Belt of Battle while fighting)

Dorizzit
2009-10-27, 07:40 PM
Bead of Force. Full stop.

sambo.
2009-10-27, 07:58 PM
a Deck Of Many Things.

in terms of utility, hard to go past the old standbys of a Handy Haversack and a Belt Of Many Pouches.

Flayerman
2009-10-27, 08:01 PM
A Box of Major Image with Feeblemind and Charm Person.

TV rots your brain in Eberron...:D

Shardan
2009-10-27, 08:14 PM
I don't particularly have a favorite item, but I have a favorite item usages. This, again, was from DarkSun setting. giant desert world. I have a Robe of Useful Items.

So anyway, we were being pursued in a great fort, a dozen angry elves chasing me up a ladder to the battlements on the walls of the fort. I get to the top. The elves are one round behind me. I look at the sheet that lists what the robe has in it still. I mime taking a patch off and look to the DM. "I'm using the robe of useful items."

DM:" Ok. what patch are you using"

me: The Rowboat

DM: *blink*blink*

Me: I drop a rowboat down the ladder

Knaight
2009-10-27, 08:31 PM
I personally really like any of the infinite creation items. The decanter of endless water holds a special spot in my heart, but if you leave D&D then you also have the lava staff, which is so much cooler. Useless in combat, but you can build giant stone structures with it. And the wand of armor creation.

Eternal Wands of Fabricate are also cool, in D&D.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 09:02 PM
I personally really like any of the infinite creation items. The decanter of endless water holds a special spot in my heart, but if you leave D&D then you also have the lava staff, which is so much cooler. Useless in combat, but you can build giant stone structures with it. And the wand of armor creation.

craft a bunch of decanters of endless water... set them to firehose setting and brace them against a rock...
congrats on making an artificial sea. :)

arguskos
2009-10-27, 09:13 PM
My wizards cannot live without a portable hole. I install marble flooring and mahogany panels inside, add a large work desk with a comfy chair, a bookshelf, and a rack of storage bins for gear and loot, and I have a comfy (if somewhat cramped) portable office. You just can't beat that kind of convenience.
Damn. Freaking. Straight. I can only but agree with this, so very very much.

The Machine of Lum the Mad is a classic.
Hells yes! I can't believe no one's mentioned the much better known, and far more classic, Deck of Many Things yet. That's likely my favorite. It can destroy us all, or make us nigh-gods! Who knows! :smallbiggrin:

taltamir
2009-10-27, 09:26 PM
well, it certainly sounds really really awesome... (the little nerd in me loves it)
And it is cheaper than boots of teleportation 3/day. and safer too (since they are not greater teleport).

but CL to craft a portable hole is 12. And by that level you can cast teleport for free (unless it is in your forbidden school).

and 20k for a portable mini workspace is a quite a lot. you could just use permanent shrink item on a cottage. More space, less money. And in a few levels, magnificent mansion.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-27, 09:33 PM

Eternal Wands only go up to level 3, no?

That said, eternal wands are the bomb for anything you use routinely.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 09:47 PM
why wand? just cast fabricate yourself...
Also, I don't know if you know, but an eternal wand is not a wand that lets you cast something unlimited times at will, but 1/day... it is only eternal compared to normal wands that burn out after 50 charges

Tyndmyr
2009-10-27, 09:50 PM
2x/day.

Thus, after 25 days, a regular wand would be dead, and the eternal wand can still be resold for half price. Given the very slim price difference between then and standard wands, they're a good buy for anything you intend to use that much. An eternal wand of CLW is pretty much always a good buy for anyone with UMD/divine casting.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-27, 09:52 PM
A wand of CL 5 alter self. You can get natural armor, claws bite and tail attacks, bonuses to movement speed, skill bonuses, swimming, burrowing, and flight, and all for 50 minutes per charge. Fly (1 level higher) only grants you flight for 5 minutes.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-27, 11:01 PM
Hand of the Mage. You never know when you'll need to open something from twenty feet. Plus it lets my Tibbit drink at the bar.

Extra-dimensional storage space of your choice. Encumbrance should never be an issue for the prepared adventurer.

Any method of creating mundane items. You never know when you'll need a bladder of oil or a set of manacles.

Scrolls and wands of low level spells. A wand of Knock will make your DM hate you, a scroll of Plant Growth is worth more than any other service in a bartering session with an intelligent king.

A method of short-range Teleportation(I like the Anklets of Translocation) for getting around obstacles.

Anything with odd or niche uses. Silent Portal Disk for creating Door Ninjas, etc. I like being able to pull out the odd thing that solves the problem in a way that gives the DM a headache.

BenTheJester
2009-10-27, 11:33 PM
2x/day.

Thus, after 25 days, a regular wand would be dead, and the eternal wand can still be resold for half price. Given the very slim price difference between then and standard wands, they're a good buy for anything you intend to use that much. An eternal wand of CLW is pretty much always a good buy for anyone with UMD/divine casting.

On the contrary, the purpose of eternal wands is letting anyone without access to some spells or UMD.

All you need to be able to use Eternal Wands is to be able to cast Arcane Spells.

AstralFire
2009-10-27, 11:34 PM
Flying carpet.

Ring of Solar Wings.

That one minor artifact for Warforged that grows wings.

There may be a pattern here.

sambo.
2009-10-28, 12:30 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned the much better known, and far more classic, Deck of Many Things yet. That's likely my favorite. It can destroy us all, or make us nigh-gods! Who knows! :smallbiggrin:
i beat yah to it.

a Deck Of Many Things.

in terms of utility, hard to go past the old standbys of a Handy Haversack and a Belt Of Many Pouches.

RelentlessImp
2009-10-28, 12:51 AM
Lawful Evil Candles of Invocation. (Awh yeah)
Continuous Gloves of True Strike
Continuous Ring of Wraithstrike
Ring of Sustenance - depending on if the DM agrees with me about what the wording 'full benefits' entails.

No, I'm not a munchkin. Honest. I beg my DMs not to give us the first three. Ever.

gorfnab
2009-10-28, 02:13 AM
Artificers Monocle
Quall's Feather Token: Tree
Dust of Sneezing and Choking
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 03:51 AM
The Sparring Dummy of the Master. Because Monks need nice things.

BobVosh
2009-10-28, 05:46 AM
All the dusts, especially dryness.

Bags of devouring

Wind Fan(?) The one that does gust of wind.

Dimers
2009-10-28, 07:38 AM
Here are some items other people haven't mentioned. Er, some extant items others haven't mentioned, because I could be here all day regaling the forum with tales of my awesome item-inventing prowess.

I like a mithral chain shirt of twilight +1. "Of twilight" is a Book of Exalted Deeds empowerment to reduce arcane spell failure by 10%; this item costs under 6,000 gold. Any character can wear this without any penalty at all -- it has zero spell failure and zero check penalty. Ditto a light mithral shield, which doesn't even require enchantment (but does preclude certain uses of one hand). Also from Exalted Deeds: serren wood is a base material that can make ghost touch arrows for 8 gp each. Have your party archer keep a few of those around.

Another favorite is the +1 keen enfeebling rapier -- a +3 total enchantment, so it costs under 19,000 gold. This threatens crits on 15-20 and deals d6+2 Strength damage on a crit.

I've heard of making arrows into firebombs cheaply by casting fire trap on some sort of easily-breakable box or seal designed as an arrowhead. Yes, I like archery, it's true.

Animals aren't exactly "items", but you can buy 'em. Hounds for war or tracking make a great investment for low-level characters, especially those with animal-enhancing spells. For mid-level mages, how about an oyster farm for all the 100-gp pearls you'll need to identify your loot!

An item I like the idea of, but would never allow or ask for in a game, is an adamantine shovel. Dig through steel and stone like they're cheese!

From Magic of Faerun, Mierest's starlit sphere. It produces light in which illuminated objects are seen as clearly as with true seeing, and it also automatically dispels a few effects. Not one to give to the illusionist, I suppose. And then there's the joyous star song, which grants one extra bardic music use per day, with a +5 Perform bonus. Or the kiira, which acts as a fairly large spellbook that also grants +2 to all Knowledge checks. I particularly like using this sort of wondrous item with the Relics and Rituals (Sword & Sorcery Studios, 3.0 OGL product) spell meld object, which allows you to contain one magic item within you, gaining its usual benefits but not taking up a body slot. That's right, you can make yourself glow with true seeing light ... don't ask how meld object would work with ring gates ...

Cyclocone
2009-10-28, 08:09 AM
Assuming i could get away with it: Starmantle Cloak +Ring of Evasion.

Otherwise I'd say Pearl of Power, the 70k two spells variant.
It's kinda pricy, but I like being able to recall that teleport or greater dispel when i happen to need it again.

Oh and a Halruaan Skyship, just because.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-28, 09:14 AM
Favorite magic item..... Wings of flying and.....bane (undead) ghost touch ghost strike spiked chain (In your face undead I still get some extra damage on you!)

golfmade
2009-10-28, 09:45 AM
Don't want to clutter up the boards and make a new thread when this one will do just fine:

I'm rolling up a 6th level ninja (well technically 4th level as I'm playing a Githzerai) and have 26,000GP to spend.

Already taking a Handy Haversack and a few other items listed here already, but I'm not sure what else would help.

Are there any items that would allow me to say, transport at will as a move action?

Amador
2009-10-28, 10:06 AM
Looking through magic items, I came across a nifty combination.

Belt of Dwarven Kind + Circlet of Persuasion nets you dwarf racial benefits +7 on CHA checks with dwarves, +5 CHA checks with gnomes and halflings and +1 CHA checks with everyone else. Effectively the awesome of being a dwarf plus some for 2,900 as continuous darkvision is 12,000 by itself.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 10:10 AM
7th level wizard, 23k gold to spend. Assume I have a rather extensive collection of wands and scrolls currently, along with a pearl of power. All slots are free save for hands and waist(and thats just a healing belt, so replacable).

All items are fair game save for dragon magazine.

Zanticor
2009-10-28, 10:43 AM
Any love for the Hammersphere?

Zanticor

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-28, 11:59 AM
7th level wizard, 23k gold to spend. Assume I have a rather extensive collection of wands and scrolls currently, along with a pearl of power. All slots are free save for hands and waist(and thats just a healing belt, so replacable).

All items are fair game save for dragon magazine.

.....You should ask your DM first but check if you can enchant a belt og healing or battle to get an increase in INT, I don't know if you can but one of my DM sad that I could add those enchancement to any slot providing I paid the money times 1.5.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 12:03 PM
.....You should ask your DM first but check if you can enchant a belt og healing or battle to get an increase in INT, I don't know if you can but one of my DM sad that I could add those enchancement to any slot providing I paid the money times 1.5.

You got robbed. It's much cheaper if you use the official MIC rules for doing exactly that.

I fully intend to stack enchantment bonuses on everything, I just want to get the best base items available first.

Nai_Calus
2009-10-28, 12:40 PM
How on earth did this thread get to the second page before anyone mentioned Quaal's Feather Token: Tree?

I'm seconding it here. Dude, it's a freaking feather that you can turn into a freaking oak tree. This is ungodly awesome.

And just think of the jokes to be made about elves carrying them!

Any item that provides you with free booze is also automatically awesome.

WalkingTarget
2009-10-28, 12:46 PM
I'm getting a fair amount of use out of my Hedge Wizard's Gloves in the 4E game I'm in. Nobody's playing a wizard and having Mage Hand has come in handy on several occasions already.

Knaight
2009-10-28, 12:49 PM
Wind Fan(?) The one that does gust of wind.

Oh yeah, I love that one. Particularly if you take it out of D&D and give it infinite uses in a rules light system, and if you also make a version that makes thermals and one that creates a snowy blast of wind.

dragonfan6490
2009-10-31, 12:47 PM
The Deck of Many Things is definitely my favorite magic item of all time. Especially when I'm the DM. :smallbiggrin: Maybe its just the masocist in me though.

taltamir
2009-10-31, 01:44 PM
Any method of creating mundane items. You never know when you'll need a bladder of oil or a set of manacles.
There are so many wrong uses for that :)

As for cost... yea eternal wands are much more economical... but what happens when you need to cast something 10 times a day? example, CLW... we use it once a week, and when we do, we need to burn 10 charges at once to heal the party between one combat and the next.

Adumbration
2009-10-31, 02:00 PM
Robe of Scintillating colors. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofScintillatingColors) When you want the most bang for the buck for that one crucial combat, you can't go wrong with this. A daze gaze effect, growing concealment and light? Yes please!

One that has already been mentioned is the Wind fan. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#windFan)

taltamir
2009-10-31, 02:34 PM
I realized the op did not limit us to DnD...
So my favorite magic item would be robocop.

sofawall
2009-10-31, 02:58 PM
I realized the op did not limit us to DnD...
So my favorite magic item would be robocop.

That was science, not magic!

taltamir
2009-10-31, 04:38 PM
That was science, not magic!

I beg to differ. :)
That was magic dressed up as pseudoscience.