PDA

View Full Version : Create Food Trap + worlds biggest farm = what could possibly go wrong?

Randel
2009-10-27, 05:08 PM
Okay, the create food and water trap can create enough food to feed thousands of people a day, but according to the rules the food only lasts 24 hours before going bad. However, someone could use the bland food created by it to feed livestock and sell them instead.

So, assume that a high-level cleric or wizard has completed a Create Food and Water Trap and but would rather use the bland food to raise animals instead of feeding people (they are okay with feeding it to people, they just don't want people to ge stuck eating pland oatmeal forever and putting farmers out of business. If there is feed left over at the end of the day they donate it to the poor.)

Anyway, this cleric has hired you to help them build the truly massive farming complex that would make full use of the food created by the device. You can use it to feed pretty much any domesic animal (animals that eat grass or grains are best, ones used to eating meat might need a prestidigitation trap to make the stuff taste like meat) and you can raise fish by using aquaculture or fish ponds.

Where would you make the place? How would you build it to keep animals from escaping or monsters from getting in? How would you move all the food to the various pens where the animals feed? What about medicine to keep them all healthy?

And... what would you do with the hundred thousand or so animals you are raising? What would you do with all the droppings? And who or what out there would have an interest in causing trouble for your massive farm operation?

In short, how can you take a giant factory farm with over a hundred thousand farm animals in a D&D setting and make it interesting?

I got the idea from reading the thread about sending donkeys into the Tomb of Horrors... and since sheep cost like a silver piece each I wondered just howm many hundreds of sheep an adventurer could effectivly buy and send into dungeons to trigger traps and where they could get them. Plus, necromancers could use the corpses of animals in their work without worrying about messing with humans... an endless army of exploding zombie sheep sounds funny.

Asheram
2009-10-27, 05:10 PM
Greetings. Welcome to tippyverse. Please shut the door behind you, don't want anything escaping here.
:smallbiggrin:

Myou
2009-10-27, 05:16 PM
It would be much easier to just put the create traps in town squares. :smalltongue:

Faleldir
2009-10-27, 05:49 PM
Greetings. Welcome to tippyverse. Please empty your pockets, put your hands up, and fail your next Will save.
:smallbiggrin:
I fixed that for you.

AslanCross
2009-10-27, 05:59 PM
I suggest creating a farm on the Positive Energy Plane for abnormally large creatures. Of course, you need to find a way to prevent your chickens from exploding.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 06:02 PM
i don't see the problem... take a modern farm. Replace the input of "feed from trucks" to "feed from trap". and replace the "water from municipal water supply" with "water from endless decanter"

Da Pwnzlord
2009-10-27, 07:06 PM
Also, replace "shoot animals full of antibiotics" with "make them walk through the "Remove Disease" trap.

Emperor Tippy
2009-10-27, 08:19 PM
Create Food Trap + Prestidigitation + Teleport Circle.

Ideally, you place the Prestidigitation trap in the town square next to where the teleport circle spits out the food and have the people walk through it when they grab their food. This gives them an hours worth of time to clean their clothes, clean their homes, and turn their food into whatever they want today.

BRC
2009-10-27, 08:36 PM

Ideally, you place the Prestidigitation trap in the town square next to where the teleport circle spits out the food and have the people walk through it when they grab their food. This gives them an hours worth of time to clean their clothes, clean their homes, and turn their food into whatever they want today.
Only Emperor Tippy could cause such a great impact, and essentially make every DnD setting merely by following things to a logical conclusion.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-27, 10:38 PM

Ideally, you place the Prestidigitation trap in the town square next to where the teleport circle spits out the food and have the people walk through it when they grab their food. This gives them an hours worth of time to clean their clothes, clean their homes, and turn their food into whatever they want today.Why bother with the Teleport Circle? It seems like it would be cheaper to make multiple Create Food traps in each location than multiple Teleport Circles, especially since you'd still end up needing several Create Food traps to feed everyone.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 10:56 PM
Also, replace "shoot animals full of antibiotics" with "make them walk through the "Remove Disease" trap.

very good, I hadn't thought of that one.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 10:58 PM
Why bother with the Teleport Circle? It seems like it would be cheaper to make multiple Create Food traps in each location than multiple Teleport Circles, especially since you'd still end up needing several Create Food traps to feed everyone.

also, teleport circles are limited in the daily amount that they can move... and finally, why bother with either option? just make a duct or some such to move the stuff

D Knight
2009-10-27, 11:07 PM
You know that you could make a flying animal farm(stronghold). when you need food in town just push some cattle and sheep over. "mana from heaven"

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-27, 11:13 PM
You know that you could make a flying animal farm(stronghold). when you need food in town just push some cattle and sheep over. "mana from heaven""I swear to God I thought turkeys could fly."

Emperor Tippy
2009-10-27, 11:21 PM
Why bother with the Teleport Circle? It seems like it would be cheaper to make multiple Create Food traps in each location than multiple Teleport Circles, especially since you'd still end up needing several Create Food traps to feed everyone.

Because this way you can control the food supply?

No real reason actually.

also, teleport circles are limited in the daily amount that they can move... and finally, why bother with either option? just make a duct or some such to move the stuff

No it's not. TC is unlimited. Ring Gates have a daily limit.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-28, 12:22 AM
As for the droppings, either a bag of devouring, give it to farmers for their fields, or make dung golems (one of the Dragon Mags has them I thik.)

Elves-as-People
2009-10-28, 01:16 AM
As for the droppings, either a bag of devouring, give it to farmers for their fields, or make dung golems (one of the Dragon Mags has them I thik.)

Or polymorph any object... to turn it to gold! :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-28, 03:26 AM
Yes! Gold! I'm getting an idea for a character. He'll demand all his pay be in land, in the most barren part of the kingdom. A place so awful, that not even the goblins bother with it. All this topic mentions, plus Baleful polymorph to turn his enemies into livestock (sheep, milk cows and egg laying hens) will be the beginning of an empire! Mwahahahahaa!

AgentPaper
2009-10-28, 04:19 AM
Yes! Gold! I'm getting an idea for a character. He'll demand all his pay be in land, in the most barren part of the kingdom. A place so awful, that not even the goblins bother with it. All this topic mentions, plus Baleful polymorph to turn his enemies into livestock (sheep, milk cows and egg laying hens) will be the beginning of an empire! Mwahahahahaa!

Wizard: "Look upon me, you hapless sheep, and bear witness to your dread ruler! Deny me and you will rot forever in this barren wasteland, living like animals, rolling in your own filth and bleating pitifully as I laugh at at your suffering! Hear me and know that you have no choice to obey my will!"

Sheep: "Baa." *munch grass*

BobVosh
2009-10-28, 04:52 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to make a spell trap for magnificent mansion? Feeds 12*CL in 9 course banquets. Extra-dimensional so you don't have to worry about sitting arrangements.

Clean, easy, and out of the way. Nearby you can place a teleportation trap so they can go back to their...whatever anyone does in a Tippyverse. I assume some sort of masterwork weapon farming or so. Who really cares what the mindraped peasants do?

*edit* Good way to stop violent crimes in town, trap spits out an extradimensional hidey-hole that can be locked only to the caster.

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-28, 05:11 AM
Then you have all your peons willy-nilly in extradimensional spaces, where it's harder to monitor their thoughts, and actions.

Easier to keep em in the prime.

After all... The sheep on the farm aren't sheep.

They're people.

Baa.

BobVosh
2009-10-28, 05:22 AM
Then you have all your peons willy-nilly in extradimensional spaces, where it's harder to monitor their thoughts, and actions.

Easier to keep em in the prime.

After all... The sheep on the farm aren't sheep.

They're people.

Baa.

Why do you need to monitor their thoughts? Obviously you have a mindrape trap at the ole feeding hole to keep reapplying the "Obey the mighty wizard." You can make them like you a lot(avoid love, there are spells that will feed off of that).

As for the sheeple (I can't believe I actually said that) then you need to waste more manhours watching over the farm. Plus what if the polymorphed critters kept their mind? Sorcerers with still spell is bad!

daggaz
2009-10-28, 05:35 AM
For the waste, I would collect it in a big tank where it gets mashed up thoroughly, then pours out into square molds which pass thru a transmute mud to rock trap. Instant brick factory.

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-28, 05:48 AM
Why do you need to monitor their thoughts? Obviously you have a mindrape trap at the ole feeding hole to keep reapplying the "Obey the mighty wizard." You can make them like you a lot(avoid love, there are spells that will feed off of that).

As for the sheeple (I can't believe I actually said that) then you need to waste more manhours watching over the farm. Plus what if the polymorphed critters kept their mind? Sorcerers with still spell is bad!

They'd also need silent spell.

That said, Mindrape traps at every feeding hole is cost prohibitive. It's easier to apply such effects as needed.

Most dimensions will be under the Empire's rule. Pocket dimensions are an exception. They're hard to monitor, and your solution is far too XP prohibitive to set up in a productive fashion.

The majority of peons in a tippyverse aren't ruled by mindrape. They're ruled by comfort. You have food, water, a place to live, entertainment.

Practically everyone is retired.

The mindrapes are for wizards to deal with threats.
No need to throw them willy-nilly.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-10-28, 07:15 AM
Don't forget the Major Creation traps that spew out massive amounts of LSD and other hallucinogenic drugs that keep the population from getting bored, and the Restoration traps that make sure they don't actually suffer any ill effects from drug overdose.

I love the Tippyverse. :smallcool: