PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Help

EdroGrimshell
2009-10-27, 07:25 PM
I am startin a campaign soon and i need some help with some of the concepts.

First are life paths: A life path is a representation of a persons background, destiny, and talents brought into a cohesive whole. Each life path grants a number of benefits as they increase in power gaining benefits at 1st level, 5th level and every five levels thereafter. All characters begin play with a single life path.

Second are talents, something gained every even-numbered level, which represents some additional training beside the normal class training. their are several caegories (expert, warrior, magic, divinity, psionic, incarnum, etc.) and are very useful for creating either specialized or varied characters.

this is a high power campaign (at least two challenge ratings higher than normal) and these should reflect an inborn talent (life paths) or unusual training (talents). These should mostly be extraordinary or supernatural in nature.

An example for life paths is presented below

Path of the Mind

Tapping a natural psionic talent, a follower of this path gains many psionic abilities.

{table=head]Level|Path Benefits

1st|Hidden Talent

5th|Practiced Talent

10th|Esper

15th|Expanded Talent

20th|Natural Psychic[/table]

Hidden Talent: You gain Hidden Talent as a bonus feat. Your effective manifester level for this power is equal to half your character level (rounded down) or your actual manifester level, whichever is higher. In addition, you gain bonus power points for a high Cha score.

Practiced Talent: You gain an additional 1st level power and one 2nd level power of your choice and gain power points equal to twice your Cha mod.

Esper: You gain an additional 2nd level power and one 3rd level power of your choice and increase your manifester level with powers you gained from this path to equal 3/4 your character level.

Expanded Talent: You gain an additional 3rd level power and one 4th level power of your choice and gain power points equal to your character level.

Natural Psychic: You gain an additional 4th level power of your choice and increase your manifester level to equal your character level. In addition, you gain power points equal to twice your Cha score.

if this one is to powerful please make suggestions, dont just say "its overpowered, fix it" give advice on how to fix it.

EdroGrimshell
2009-10-29, 10:45 PM
Please comment, any ideas would be helpful

Talbot
2009-10-29, 11:08 PM
3.5 or 4e?

Solaris
2009-10-29, 11:32 PM
He mentioned Incarnum. I think that makes it 3.5E.

EdroGrimshell
2009-10-30, 06:49 AM
He mentioned Incarnum. I think that makes it 3.5E.

Yeah, sorry for not clarifying in the original post. this is meant for a high power campaign with a "people who are destined for greatness" theme.

EdroGrimshell
2009-10-30, 12:13 PM
i added an example for one, Path of the Mind is meant for a character who wants to be a born esper or have a stronger connection to psionics than others. One of our players is playing an elan with the path of the mind and is playing a player version of the expert NPC class (special abilities like the rogue and free skill tricks added in).

Anonymouswizard
2009-10-31, 10:58 AM
This ounds like a decent idea. as a talent for spellcasters, if you have complete arcane chack out the extra slot and extra spell feats, they could work if toned down slightly.

EdroGrimshell
2009-11-02, 04:05 PM
That is a good idea, maybe something for unusual magical training could be one (healing spells for a sorcerer for example). I'll start working more in depth this weekend