PDA

View Full Version : Highest Possible Armor Class [3.5]

AtopTheMountain
2009-10-27, 08:33 PM
I was looking through some of my books while thinking of a way to make a high-AC character, and realized that there are a multitude of ways to increase your AC. So I took to wondering: What is the highest possible AC to have at level 20? So I decided to launch a pseudo-contest here on the Playground. Not a real contest; I don't have enough time to keep score (but if someone else wants to, I won't stop you). So, here are the rules:

---Attempt to gain the highest AC possible.
---Your character must be at level 20.
---All published races, classes, items, etc. are avaliable, but you must still obey item slot limits.
---Class features may only be used if the character in question has that feature (eg, no having the party Wizard buff you, but if you are a Wizard, you may buff yourself)
---AC is against a normal weapon attack by a level 1 True Neutral human fighter with a longsword; not touch AC, not flat-footed AC, not AC against a weapon trap, not AC against a specific creature type (dwarves, I'm looking at you).
---Starting Ability scores at level 1 are as follows: 18, 17, 16, 16, 14, 12. YOU are responsible for setting scores to specific abilities, as well as for calculating improved abilities, from levels or items (or other methods...?)
---NO TEMPLATES.
---Your post should contain the following information: Race, Classes, Level 20, Ability Scores & Modifiers, ALL equipment that affects Armor Class, ALL active class / race features that affect Armor Class, ALL Feats that affect armor class, ALL other AC modifiers, final armor class.
---All feats may be used, but keep in mind the attacker (lvl 1 True Neutral human fighter with longsword)
---Assume a number of rounds equal to your character's final Dexterity modifier to prepare for the attack by said fighter.
---AC is the only thing that matters. Miss chance, cover, concealment, hiding, energy resistance... They Don't Matter.
---Your character must be a valid PC that an average, reasonable DM would let you play in an actual game.
---Only valid player races are allowed, and you cannot make up material.
---EDIT: No infinite loops, nor any tricks like Pazuzu.
---IMPORTANT: Your character was essentially just created, with all his/her ability scores, equipment, and abilities just THERE. The only amount of time you have is that alloted at the start (equal to your Dexterity modifier)so you can't say something like, oh, say, Cancer Mage for 20 years increasing Natural Armor. You only get the amount of it at the start of the "battle"
---You cannot use material from multiple campaign settings at once; if you have a feat only found in Forgotten Realms, for example, you cannot also have a feat from Eberron.
---You have no allies.
---Feel free to suggest other rules you feel are nessecary, though it may take me a while to get it on here (I don't have a ton of free time)

EDIT: Most important rules have been bolded.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-27, 08:35 PM
You may want to mention something about infinite loop tricks, otherwise, we're just all going to hit that big sideways eight and no one wins.

Glimbur
2009-10-27, 08:39 PM
Are you talking about Deepwarden + Shambling Mound? Because that's only as high as you want, not actually infinite.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-27, 08:41 PM
Are you talking about Deepwarden + Shambling Mound? Because that's only as high as you want, not actually infinite.

Less that and more "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu..."

AtopTheMountain
2009-10-27, 08:42 PM
I added a rule for no infinite loops or other tricks, as well as one that says that you character must be playable by an average, reasonable DM (by most people's judgement)

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-27, 08:46 PM
I added a rule for no infinite loops or other tricks, as well as one that says that you character must be playable by an average, reasonable DM (by most people's judgement)

The stuff you're wanting wouldn't be allowed by a 'reasonable DM'.

Thurbane
2009-10-27, 08:47 PM
Less that and more "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu..."
Or Cancer Mage and that disease that adds to natural AC...

AtopTheMountain
2009-10-27, 08:54 PM
The stuff you're wanting wouldn't be allowed by a 'reasonable DM'.

I'm saying that you simply use all the rules in place, with a limit on feats and such. You do have access to any magic item that has been published, but just assume that the DM was lax with treasure. As long as your character is plausible (with no infinite loops! or tricks like Pazuzu) you should have no problems.

infinitypanda
2009-10-27, 09:30 PM
You said all published sources. Is that all WotC-published sources, or is 3rd party okay?

AtopTheMountain
2009-10-27, 09:40 PM
Wizards only, since more people know about it and can prove you're not just making stuff up. Just in case. :smallsmile:

infinitypanda
2009-10-27, 09:56 PM
Oh. Well, I know nothing about optimization. I was just curious.

AstralFire
2009-10-27, 09:57 PM
Assume a number of rounds equal to your character's final Dexterity modifier to prepare for the attack by said fighter.

...That's kinda arbitrary. Reasoning behind it? I'm curious.

Temotei
2009-10-27, 10:35 PM
...That's kinda arbitrary. Reasoning behind it? I'm curious.

So the other stats that boost AC get the shaft?

ex cathedra
2009-10-27, 10:42 PM
I foresee that finding ways to stack your charisma to AC several times over will be more effective than most other methods.

Additionally, is this Highest Normal AC, or a composite based on highest Normal/Touch/Flat-Footed? Because 116 AC doesn't mean a lot if your Touch is ~18.

sambo.
2009-10-27, 10:51 PM
err, whutz a Pazuzu?

AstralFire
2009-10-27, 10:54 PM
err, whutz a Pazuzu?

Demon invoked as a critical part of several of the lamer (less interesting) pun-pun builds.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-27, 11:09 PM
Another rule you need to add: Defending does not stack with itself. If you don't we'll see a Wizard that spends all of his 760,000 GP on +1 Defending Braid Blades, then uses Chained GMW to make them all +5. :smallmad:

Akal Saris
2009-10-27, 11:13 PM
Hah! As kobolds have no hair, clearly that tactic is not one that a dragonwrought kobold can pursue!

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-27, 11:14 PM
Another rule you need to add: Defending does not stack with itself. If you don't we'll see a Wizard that spends all of his 760,000 GP on +1 Defending arrows, then uses Chained GMW to make them all +5. :smallmad:

Fixed that for you.

As for the OP, you might want to look into the old WotC CO boards for the world record thread. It's a little outdated, but I want to say that the listed AC was around 300-400 without infinite loops.