PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying for spells by level

Tyger
2009-10-27, 08:48 PM
The FAQ (which I know is not RAW) stipulates that you can qualify for feats which have ability score minimum prerequisites via temporary ability boosts. I.e. one could qualify for Power Attack with a base Strength score of 9, and wearing a Belt of Giant Strength +4, with the stipulation that you lose the use of the feat if you lose the belt.

Does that transfer over to spells available? If you have a base of 13 Intelligence and thus can normally only cast up to level 3 Wizard spells, can you gain access to higher level spells via a Headband of Intellect? Again, under the assumption that you would lose access to those spells if you lost the Headband.

Thoughts? If anyone has a solid "right" answer and can point me to where it is written, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

infinitypanda
2009-10-27, 08:54 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html Yes.

Okay, okay I know that OoTS comics aren't RAW, but I personally haven't read anything on this issue, and I'd probably houserule that they do.

Thurbane
2009-10-27, 09:18 PM
I can't pinpoint the exact section, but I'm 100% certain that (permanent) stat boosting items do qualify you to cast spells of a particular level. It also says somewhere that temporary stat boosts do not.