PDA

View Full Version : PC Troubles

drengnikrafe
2009-10-27, 10:18 PM
I think I've seen this problem presented before on these forums, but I don't remember the solutions. In any case, the problem is as follows.

I have a player (who will hereafter be refered to as Jade, because that's what we call him) who, since the beginning of his D&D career, has played with adults, and other serious people, and has learned to be very serious as a gamer.

I have another player (who will hereafter be refered to as Jayko, because that's the name of every character he makes) who is a total goofball. His shenanigens (sp?) are backed up by my other goofball PCs. Honestly, I love their antics. They slowly follow my plot, and in the process cause all sorts of destruction (they've burned down 2 cities. They've visited 3 in total).

I'm the type of DM who tries to go with the flow (at the cost of great amounts of detail or pre-planning). It works well with my PCs. For the most part.

It doesn't work well between the players. Jade is getting increasingly annoyed after every session. As a friend of both (or all) of these people, I don't really want to alienate anyone, but rather want everyone to have fun. Suggestions?

Merk
2009-10-27, 10:26 PM
It sounds like Jade probably wouldn't be interested in playing in the kind of campaign that you and the rest of your players are enjoying. In that case, there's nothing wrong with tactfully suggesting to him that this group might not be the best fit for his tastes.

But that's on the more extreme side of the spectrum. In-game, I think it would be a good idea to create opportunities for Jade to play in a way that's meaningful for him. For example, if he's a heavy role-player, include NPCs that he can talk to or interact with. Even if the attitude of the rest of the party irritates him, if he gets to "do his thing" every now and then during a session, he'll probably be satisfied.

AstralFire
2009-10-27, 10:28 PM
I will reiterate to start that sometimes, good friends aren't necessarily good gaming partners, and it may simply not work to have both Jade and the other three in the same group. Beyond that:

Perhaps you should solve this the McNinja way.

Work on having a goofball universe but slowly develop 'straightman' NPCs and serious plots with occasionally dramatic moments.

Rhiannon87
2009-10-28, 08:07 AM
But that's on the more extreme side of the spectrum. In-game, I think it would be a good idea to create opportunities for Jade to play in a way that's meaningful for him. For example, if he's a heavy role-player, include NPCs that he can talk to or interact with. Even if the attitude of the rest of the party irritates him, if he gets to "do his thing" every now and then during a session, he'll probably be satisfied.

Problem is, the goofball players more than likely will come barging into the scene and steal the spotlight, likely via destruction. My sympathies are much more with Jade; I totally understand the frustration of being in a group where you want to roleplay a developed character and everyone else is off in la-la-land. But he's in the minority, just as I once was, so his choices are kinda limited.

As a DM, you could perhaps try to arrange things so that the rest of the group is distracted with something that doesn't require your attention-- let them start plotting amongst themselves, while you and Jade can do a serious scene with his character. The major problem is you have multiple people vying for your attention and wanting it in different ways, and the louder, crazier people win out. If you can get them busy doing something without you for a while, Jade might be able to get some roleplay in.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 08:14 AM
Problem is, the goofball players more than likely will come barging into the scene and steal the spotlight, likely via destruction. My sympathies are much more with Jade; I totally understand the frustration of being in a group where you want to roleplay a developed character and everyone else is off in la-la-land. But he's in the minority, just as I once was, so his choices are kinda limited.

Even in a goofy sorta game, random destruction of everything isn't always appropriate. If they want to get in a bar fight or the like, fine...but if he's negotiating with someone of importance, and they come in and randomly try to kill everyone, they deserve to pay the stupid tax.

Optimystik
2009-10-28, 08:39 AM
Even in a goofy sorta game, random destruction of everything isn't always appropriate. If they want to get in a bar fight or the like, fine...but if he's negotiating with someone of importance, and they come in and randomly try to kill everyone, they deserve to pay the stupid tax.

This. Consequences are a wonderful deterrent to outlandish behavior, and will both affirm your session in the serious player's eyes, as well as subtly bring the jokey one(s) a bit closer to earth.

I suggest having sideplots where they can cut loose a bit (e.g. they should be burning down a bandit camp in the wilderness, not the city that's part of your plot) while tightening the fetters somewhat in the main story.

t_catt11
2009-10-28, 09:18 AM
This. Consequences are a wonderful deterrent to outlandish behavior, and will both affirm your session in the serious player's eyes, as well as subtly bring the jokey one(s) a bit closer to earth.

I suggest having sideplots where they can cut loose a bit (e.g. they should be burning down a bandit camp in the wilderness, not the city that's part of your plot) while tightening the fetters somewhat in the main story.

Another vote for this. There is a time and place for zaniness, and Lord knows, my players would love to make this be the ongoing case... but then, nothing ever really gets done.

Enforce real world consequences. They burn down a city, the rot in a prison... even face the executioner's block. They want to tie the orge's shoelaces together, let 'em have at it.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 09:26 AM
Alright. Thank you all for your help. I believe I have a decent idea of what I am going to do now.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 09:41 AM
Alright. Thank you all for your help. I believe I have a decent idea of what I am going to do now.

If it involves 50 ft of rope, a cherry pie, and a duck, you're on the right path.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 09:57 AM
Close. It only involves the rope and the pie. I don't see how a duck would help at all.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 10:00 AM
Well how else are you going to get the live panther into the fridge?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-28, 10:06 AM
Well how else are you going to get the live panther into the fridge?

But what if you hungry? Will the Panter share the pie?

Kylarra
2009-10-28, 10:13 AM
But what if you hungry? Will the Panter share the pie?He might kill the orc for you.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 10:15 AM
Well, since my question has already been answered, I might as well go along with this...

What kind of orc? Is a panther capable of defeating an orc alone? Even if in cramped quarters? I don't have my MM in front of me, and can't remember off the top of my head.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 10:16 AM
Unless the orc gets a lucky crit, you should be good. Plus, the panther will have a surprise round unless the orc has readied an action vs an angry, furry pie guardian.

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-28, 10:21 AM
Unless the orc gets a lucky crit, you should be good. Plus, the panther will have a surprise round unless the orc has readied an action vs an angry, furry pie guardian.

To be fair, he certainly should.*

*EDIT: Have the action ready, that is.

valadil
2009-10-28, 11:56 AM
Your group sounds incompatible to me. If you really want them to stick together (and if they really want to stick together) I think the best compromise is to offer each side some play time. Put silliness and seriousness in your game. Players should be encouraged to try the other style, just not to disrupt it.

I've been the serious character actor in a group who only wanted tactical combat. The compromise we came up with that I'd roleplay during the GM's smoke breaks. If it was a lot of roleplay, he'd make sure to give them loot or levels before we stepped outside. This worked amazingly well, although I wouldn't recommend taking up smoking for it.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 12:35 PM
I find the best solution is to tell him to take a chill pill and relax..have fun...your not in R/L...your in a fantasy world where anything is possible.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-28, 12:50 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: What's really cool about this Forum is that we have a whole subforum for this kind of fun. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)

The OP has apparently gotten his answer and the thread has gone silly.