PDA

View Full Version : superpowers that are not all that when you think about it

Pages : 1 [2]

Hat-Trick
2009-10-30, 10:58 PM
It's easy when your name is synonymous with god, apparently.

chiasaur11
2009-10-30, 11:02 PM
It was in the crossover with Spider-Man.

And Supes presumably welded it together molecule by molecule.

He does that kind of thing.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-30, 11:07 PM
It was in the crossover with Spider-Man.

And Supes presumably welded it together molecule by molecule.

He does that kind of thing.Except we're talking about a computer exploding. The data is encoded in a series of tiny magnetically-flipped switches. That are completely out of sight to anyone. Supes assembled each one of them in the right position.

Yeah.

taltamir
2009-10-30, 11:09 PM
He can punch time backwards! By flying really really fast against the earth's spin!

he is not superman... he is GOD.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-30, 11:12 PM
And superboy can alter reality by punching it.

This is what happens when you let monks get powerful.

taltamir
2009-10-30, 11:15 PM
And superboy can alter reality by punching it.

This is what happens when you let monks get powerful.

he can alter reality by... you know what I am not gonna ask...

And he isn't a monk... maybe an epic psion or something.

Zovc
2009-10-30, 11:20 PM
I wanted to be able to breathe ("spit") fire.

I then realised how NOT awesome that was without facilitations.

The thought of having fire travel through one's insides without having any "facilitations" makes me think of how dead one would be after a brief usage of your power.

...for some reason, I also feel like breathing fire should enable someone to breathe underwater.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-30, 11:23 PM
Pretty much ANY superpower needs facilitations, of one sort or another. Even something as simple as Spidey's climbing needs some extras here and there (in this case, extra-tough skin so you don't rip your fingertips off).

Zovc
2009-10-30, 11:27 PM
...so breathing fire is awesome? X3

taltamir
2009-10-30, 11:28 PM
I wanted to be able to breathe ("spit") fire.

I then realised how NOT awesome that was without facilitations.

The thought of having fire travel through one's insides without having any "facilitations" makes me think of how dead one would be after a brief usage of your power.

...for some reason, I also feel like breathing fire should enable someone to breathe underwater.

breathing fire means you will asphyxiate anywhere that there is no fire (you have nothing to breath) :)

Tyndmyr
2009-10-30, 11:30 PM
he can alter reality by... you know what I am not gonna ask...

And he isn't a monk... maybe an epic psion or something.

And Im gonna tell you anyway, just cause I love watching people's minds break.

Infinite Crisis has the emo Superboy pounding on the "reality" that seperates the worlds. Each time he punches it, the past changes. Thus, they used his fists to explain all the times they jacked up and couldn't keep their stories straight.

Note that because his universe lacks a yellow sun, he's described as *weaker* than the other supermen/boys/girls/dogs.

Eventually he punches his way through reality, and an increasingly implausible series of Crisis events were the result.

taltamir
2009-10-30, 11:33 PM
And Im gonna tell you anyway, just cause I love watching people's minds break.

Infinite Crisis has the emo Superboy pounding on the "reality" that seperates the worlds. Each time he punches it, the past changes. Thus, they used his fists to explain all the times they jacked up and couldn't keep their stories straight.

Note that because his universe lacks a yellow sun, he's described as *weaker* than the other supermen/boys/girls/dogs.

Eventually he punches his way through reality, and an increasingly implausible series of Crisis events were the result.

*has an aneurysm*

AstralFire
2009-10-30, 11:34 PM
Nonono. He is not weaker - he is in fact stronger than most of them, actually. Much, much stronger, so much so that it took TWO Supermans (the one we know, and the one trapped in the dimension with him that was from an older Earth) to bring him down, and that was barely. They didn't do it toe to toe, either, they dragged him through a red sun to do it. However, he never grew up mentally, and thought that having a big 'S' on his chest meant that he was a hero, regardless of what he did.

Somewhere
2009-10-30, 11:35 PM
For example, that time punch revived Jason Todd

Tyndmyr
2009-10-30, 11:52 PM
For example, that time punch revived Jason Todd

Take that, anyone who thinks punching allies to heal them is "unrealistic". This man has True Rez enchanted on his FISTS!

Tyndmyr
2009-10-31, 12:05 AM
Nonono. He is not weaker - he is in fact stronger than most of them, actually. Much, much stronger, so much so that it took TWO Supermans (the one we know, and the one trapped in the dimension with him that was from an older Earth) to bring him down, and that was barely.

Yeah, but at that time, he was wearing a funky suit that was feeding him yellow-sun energy so he was ultra powerful. Or something. It's best not to question power levels in the DC universe, it leads to the aforementioned head explosions.

AstralFire
2009-10-31, 12:07 AM
Yeah, but at that time, he was wearing a funky suit that was feeding him yellow-sun energy so he was ultra powerful. Or something. It's best not to question power levels in the DC universe, it leads to the aforementioned head explosions.

Eh. Better than Marvel Universe.

"Lottery of Summer Events, turn turn turn, tell us the psychic or mutant who shall be overpowered for this year."

Talbot
2009-10-31, 12:07 AM
Everyone hatin' on Cyclops, I ask but one thing of you. Google the word "Flyclops". Click the first link that appears.

You're welcome.

AstralFire
2009-10-31, 12:10 AM
I actually love Cyclops, just only when we're not talking about the comics versions. He, like many other characters, is best enjoyed outside his home medium.

chiasaur11
2009-10-31, 12:14 AM
Everyone hatin' on Cyclops, I ask but one thing of you. Google the word "Flyclops". Click the first link that appears.

You're welcome.

I find the Whedon run on X-Men enough to justify Summers's existence.

Talbot
2009-10-31, 12:23 AM
I actually love Cyclops, just only when we're not talking about the comics versions. He, like many other characters, is best enjoyed outside his home medium.

Believe me. Flyclops is well outside his home medium.

Hat-Trick
2009-10-31, 12:31 AM
Flyclops can't fly. If he uses that technique, wouldn't he just blast his hands off? Sure, his beam doesn't hurt him, but his joints probably won't be able to take the force pushing on his gloves (and, therefore, hands) and just rip.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-31, 12:37 AM
Flyclops can't fly. If he uses that technique, wouldn't he just blast his hands off? Sure, his beam doesn't hurt him, but his joints probably won't be able to take the force pushing on his gloves (and, therefore, hands) and just rip.There were several mentioned possibilities, including an adamantium harness holding a plate over his head, a set of chopper blades powered by his blasts, and a series of tubes. I think several of them would be successful.

Hat-Trick
2009-10-31, 12:40 AM
Those, maybe, but not by just his hands.

sentaku
2009-10-31, 12:48 AM
There were several mentioned possibilities, including an adamantium harness holding a plate over his head, a set of chopper blades powered by his blasts, and a series of tubes. I think several of them would be successful.

You forgot admantium umbrella, those allowing him to be Mary Poppins.

Prak
2009-10-31, 04:19 AM
Thats not quite what it said, it recomendet that you took several low Mega attributes and made a "batman" style nova, instead of going crazy and spending all your points on a few flashy powers.
I believe it. I looked at making a character who merely took Batman comics as inspiration in Werewolf tonight, and would have needed more than my starting freebie points on abilities alone.

He is a jerk. Lex isn't the most nice guy. One might think he likes his clone enough, but he doesn't apparently.

He probably thought his Clone was going to betray him. THe minor flaw with evil: can't exactly trust fellow members.
Yeah, even when there's an alternate universe hero version of him ('09 Trinity), he's a jerk. To scientific colleagues, for that matter...

Life as cyclops would be spectacular to observers, and painful/short for you.
You have no clue the joy I experienced when I watched Xmen 3...

Speaking of Superman...I recall once seeing the following scene. I have no idea where, probably silver age stuff.

So, lex luthor, being evil, and a genius, and occasionally both at once, rigs his computer with all his evil plans to explode the instant superman steps into the room, while he makes good his escape. Superman then, using his phenomenal super-memory, reassembled the computer from a smoking crater in a few seconds(super-speed).

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that even the kids say "wait...doesn't sploding things do more than just break them into pieces?"
That's not even the worst thing he's done... He reassembled a shattered bust no one had seen, and then determined the face it showed (the spitting image of Bruce Wayne) had been covered by a mask, and reassembled the mask (the batcowl). It isn't actually implied the face and mask are separate pieces...

You're welcome.
Oh god. Thank you....

One of the better lines from that was also forgotten:
"Uh-oh, freefall! Good thing I always carry my self-propulsion staring board!"

taltamir
2009-10-31, 04:42 AM

You're welcome.

oh wow... and they make a very good point.

Cyke should be able to fly.

Think about it.

A. Eye beams have no recoil on his head.
B. Eye beams have no effect on his own body parts, as evidenced by closing his eyes to prevent firing when the goggles are off.
C. The beams knock things away on impact, indicating that they have force.
D. The eye beams interact with his gloves, as they are not a part of his body.

Cyke can, at the very least, put his gloved hands in front of his eyes and allow the beam force to drag him into the air, since he has no "equal and opposite reaction" acting back on his face. The opposite force is somewhere in a different dimension.

By altering his hands and eyes according to his GEOMETRY POWER, he can propel himself in different directions accurately.