PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Domains for non-Clerics?

Da'Shain
2009-10-28, 12:10 AM
Is there any method (feat, PrC or otherwise) for gaining access to Domains' abilities and spells for non-Clerics?

My personal desire is for a method to get domain spells added to my list for Ur-Priest, but I'm interested in anything. The only feat I can find is Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine, and there are a few PrCs in there that add domains but might or might not work for Ur-Priest, I'm not sure.

Thurbane
2009-10-28, 12:13 AM
Several PrCs do this. Here's what complete divine says about domains for non-clerics:

If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally. If she memorizes spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger, then she can simply choose to memorize one of that domain’s spells instead of one of her usual spells, but never more than one domain spell of each level. If she is a spellcaster who keeps a spellbook as a wizard does, then she must find or purchase a scroll of that spell and pay the usual price to scribe the spell into her spellbook. In cases where the spell is only divine the wizard may scribe a divine scroll into his book. The wizard then may memorize one domain spell of each level each day. If the noncleric is a spontaneous caster like a sorcerer or favored soul, then she may select a domain spell to add to her spells known whenever she would have an option to choose a new known spell. A sorcerer does not get to exceed his normal limit of spells known. Once the domain spell is known, the sorcerer may cast it freely. Unless the prestige class specifies otherwise, such spells are considered arcane spells when cast by arcane spellcasters.

Da'Shain
2009-10-28, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting the relevant rule; don't have the book on me at the moment.

So if I take a PrC that grants bonus domains, I gain all the benefits except for an extra spell slot for the domain spells, correct? That seems like pretty much what I was looking for.

For domain abilities that refer to "cleric level" (such as the Travel domain), would I simply be unable to use it, as I have no Cleric levels and my +1 to divine spellcasting would be boosting Ur-Priest, not Cleric spellcasting?

Any other methods?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 03:53 AM
Yes, any domain ability that specifically refers to your Cleric levels works for all of your 0 levels.