PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] poison use feats?

ghostaxe
2009-10-28, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which sourcebook contains the "Poison Use" feat, which allows a character to use poisons without accidentally poisoning himself? I could've sworn I read it somewhere, but can't find it in the Book of Vile Deeds...

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-28, 07:11 AM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which sourcebook contains the "Poison Use" feat, which allows a character to use poisons without accidentally poisoning himself? I could've sworn I read it somewhere, but can't find it in the Book of Vile Deeds...

Unsure. Possibly Drow of Underdark.

Personally wouldn't spend a feat on it. There are other options for safeguarding yourself while applying poisons that do not cost a feat, such as an Eternal Wand of Unseen Servant.

daggaz
2009-10-28, 07:12 AM
wouldnt be surprised if there werent a slew of them in drow of the underdark.

That said, its the general consensus that poison is too ineffective and far too costly to invest feats in, unless you are going to start putting some homebrewed fixes in..

EDIT: evil, evil ninjas..

Jack_Simth
2009-10-28, 07:13 AM
Hi guys,

I am not aware of a feat for it, but it's a class ability of the Assasin (PrC, in the DMG) and a few others.

Edit: Oh, and Ninjas. Don't forget Ninjas.

If you want to make heavy use of poisons, though, you'll want Craft(Poison), and either Minor Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorCreation.htm) or a one-level dip in Psion(Shaper) for Minor Creation, Psionic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/minorCreationPsionic.htm).

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-28, 07:13 AM
Take a look in drow of the Underdark. there is an ACF for rogues allowing it (lose trapfinding), and more important, the MAster of Poisons feat, allowing to poison the weapons as swift action without risk of poisoning yourself.

If you want ways to increase your poison CD and your PC has Sneak Attack, ask me (in thread or by PM).

The Gilded Duke
2009-10-28, 07:14 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0

Poison Handbook.
Wonderful resource.

ghostaxe
2009-10-28, 07:19 AM
Unsure. Possibly Drow of Underdark.

Personally wouldn't spend a feat on it. There are other options for safeguarding yourself while applying poisons that do not cost a feat, such as an Eternal Wand of Unseen Servant.

Hm... my character concept is a guy who makes lots of poisons. I'm not sure you're allowed to Craft using Unseen Servant...

The BoVD guidelines are actually pretty good for poison making... the cost of the raw materials are only 1/6 the market price, so it's something like 30gp for a dose of 1d6 STR/1d6 STR poison, with Injury DC 18... that's pretty good for a low-level campaign.

It also scales decently well to mid levels. Dragon Bile, from the DMG, is 3d6 STR poison, with Contact DC 26, for 1500gp. One sixth of that is 250gp. For a ranged character, where you put poisons on different arrows with rapid shot, a ranger 6 could shoot out 3 arrows in a round for 750 gp, and do a potential 9d6 STR damage. Assuming your target isn't immune to poison, this is quite effective against bosses.

Boci
2009-10-28, 07:20 AM
Drow of the underdark had a feat that allowed you to apply poison as a swift action with no chance of hurting yourself. Complete scoundrel/adventurer had some feats for making posion stronger.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-28, 07:22 AM
Hm... my character concept is a guy who makes lots of poisons. I'm not sure you're allowed to Craft using Unseen Servant...

I meant for applying the poison.

ghostaxe
2009-10-28, 07:26 AM
Take a look in drow of the Underdark. there is an ACF for rogues allowing it (lose trapfinding), and more important, the MAster of Poisons feat, allowing to poison the weapons as swift action without risk of poisoning yourself.

If you want ways to increase your poison CD and your PC has Sneak Attack, ask me (in thread or by PM).

Thanks for your help! That's exactly what I needed.

ghostaxe
2009-10-28, 07:42 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0

Poison Handbook.
Wonderful resource.

Wow, this is really good, thanks!

Pika...
2009-10-28, 07:46 AM
wouldnt be surprised if there werent a slew of them in drow of the underdark.

That said, its the general consensus that poison is too ineffective and far too costly to invest feats in, unless you are going to start putting some homebrewed fixes in..

EDIT: evil, evil ninjas..

Well, just take the feat from the Psionic Handbook that gives you two power points and any one first level power of your choice. Take minor creation.

edit: Oops. Ninjaed.

But yeah, the feat is better than a level dip.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 11:55 AM
Plot and Poison i think?

Fax Celestis
2009-10-28, 12:20 PM
Also be sure to use some of the amazing poisons found within Dungeonscape and Complete Scoundrel.

Akal Saris
2009-10-28, 12:54 PM
*Cheers!* Yay, Gilded Duke linked my handbook before I had the chance to plug myself! :smallbiggrin:

Plot and Poison (Green Ronin) does have a Poison Use feat if I recall, but the Drow of the Underdark version is superior, both because it is WoTC and because it allows you to apply poisons as a swift action rather than a standard action.

And personally, my view is that poisons can have a huge payoff for a little investment, but as others have pointed out, their use can diminish over time as higher level creatures are either immune or have ridiculous fortitude saving throws.

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-28, 02:23 PM
The feat in BoVD just gives immunity to one type of poison and a +1 bonus against others