PDA

View Full Version : Shadows in Aldenton

Yukitsu
2009-10-28, 09:42 AM
As you walk the streets of Aldenton, the gloomy, overcast skies cast the dark forms of black clouds and tall buildings onto the city streets below. Stacks of pipes belch the fumes of industry into the skies, as the sounds of foundry work ring through the alleyways. As you walk home in the dark night, the new gaslight lamps flicker, setting ephemeral forms to dance along the paved sidewalks and walls. You walk past clumps of people, eyes downcast. They stumble along, dull and vague forms staggering through the early winter night. People have walked in groups these days. There have been mysterious disappearances, and they say monsters stalk the streets.

As you walk into your front step, you find you have mail. Bills, bills, bills, a letter from an aunt, and an invitation, with a peculiar seal. The wax seal was done with black and white wax and presents half a black sun on a white field on the top, and the inverse on the bottom. Cutting it open, you read the message...

Ganurath
2009-10-28, 12:55 PM
Diesa tucks the mail under one arm, using the other to unlock her door and step inside. The windowless house was pitch black within, but her darkvision allowed her to see the door to the nightsoil room to the right, the clothing hanging from cords on the ceiling across the back, and a bed in the left corner. Locking the door behind her, she makes her way toward her bed.

The bed was set up on a sled for a reason. Pushing against the wall with her feet, the crone slowly pushes the bed off from over the hatch to her basement. Opening the hatch, she climbs down the ladder built into the wall, coming across the one lit area in the house.

Setting the letters across the top of her flat lockbox, she examined each in turn. The sealed letter caught her interest, and she opened it with wary meticulousness. By the light of a torch over the chest, she quickly summarized it. She smiles, takes a deep breath, and looks for the RSVP address. "There's no way I'm passing this up."

Nave14
2009-10-28, 02:46 PM
Tanyth

"Bills... Bills... Bills I can't pay..." Tanyth sifted through the mail, walking past her front office and into the living space of her house. Dropping the pile of mail on a table, she grabbed an apple from her fruit bowl.

Sitting down in her comfortable chair, Tanyth takes a second look at her pile of mail. "Hmm... This looks interesting..." she muses as she regards the sealed envelope. "Work is work. Not gonna pass this opportunity up. Especially when I can name my price." With a grin, she made preparations for the upcoming morning. Noting the RSVP address, she wrote back to her employer, dropping the mail in her out-box.

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-28, 05:58 PM
Haves

He had only stepped out for a few minutes. A weekly trip for food. He didn't dare stay out for more than that. No one should've known he was there. And yet... there it was. A letter. Addressed to him. And his book. He wasn't even sure if anyone in Aldenton actually knew his name...

But that was the least of it. Moreso... the name on the letter. The supposed sender. That shouldn't be. It couldn't be. But yet there it was. The dead rise to come for me, or so it seems... something in the darkness wants me. But it knows I'm here. I cannot simply hide. I must go along with this claim, make it think I do not know what I truly do, and when it reveals itself... I must know what creature seeks me. I must know why it seeks me. I must... I must... Haves's thought trails off. He turns and begins to leaf through the tome once more. Perhaps I shall seek the truth in the morning. For now I must study. I must learn... I must know... I must know all...

Sallera
2009-10-28, 07:55 PM
Dannl

Wiping his eyes with a nearby handkerchief, Dannl carefully breaks the seal, setting it down on the desk for later reference. Despite the spirit's constant influence, he can feel his heart sinking even further as he reads the letter. "Oh. Oh dear. I seem to have been mistaken for some sort of necromancer! And... up there? Why, that line's been dead and gone for half a century, and the place with it. Who could be trying to revive it? Oh, how can I accept something like this? I can't talk to ghosts any better than anyone else! Not the ones here. But they seem to know that, almost..."

His monologue falls off as he considers for a minute, eyes once again filling with tears. "This is going to interrupt my research... I'm sorry, friend, but I have need of another." Taking a piece of chalk from the desk, he heads off the the basement, brushing the chalk dust off the floor to form an open space. "Five days... enough to have a look around, first, before accepting. Turnfeather... I hope you are equal to this."

Yukitsu
2009-10-29, 12:52 AM
The appointed day has come, a miserable misty day, with fog rolling through the already dim streets.

A finely lacquired carriage driven by two grey stallions and a well dressed older man clatter up to each of your homes in turn, taking your luggage and putting it atop the carriage. Or at least those of you whom have decided to embark on this journey.

The carriage is spacious enough, and has plush red cushions. The shutters are drawn tightly closed to keep out the dank mists that are pervading the city that day, though a dim magical light brightens the interior. Arrayed before you is an eclectic group, whom are also destined for the Chateau Projetere.

Ganurath
2009-10-29, 01:00 AM
Diesa decided to wear her light gray robes for this job, figuring they would be working in a dusty place and that it would blend better. Her free hand rests on a leather bookbag at her side, while the other sits in her lap, a toad sitting in her palm. She examines the others in the carriage, smiling softly before speaking. "My letter didn't mention I'd be working in a group."

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-29, 10:36 AM
Haves

The day came. Haves kept his preparations simple- He shifted his clothes into a more luxurious variant, should his host have some sense of legitimacy- or at the very least, to convince the man Haves thought he had some sense of legitimacy. When the carriage-driver asked for luggage, Haves doubled back and retrieved his bag of books. He knew not if they would be necessary, but brought them nonetheless. He pondered hiding his gun in the bag, but he decided against it, ultimately believing that the sole thing that could protect him would be the tome. He then climbed into the carriage, clutching his tome tight.

Upon seeing and first hearing the others, he chuckled. "No, no, no. You are quite mistaken. At the very least, I am not intending to work. I cannot speak for the others. I am simply on my way to discuss... certain matters." With those last words, Haves's eyes slowly drifted down towards the tome.

Ganurath
2009-10-29, 01:47 PM
Diesa

Diesa nods, eyeing the tome in the lap of her fellow passenger as she idly tickles the chin of her familiar, Unbaraki. "Their concerns about the runes, you mean?"

Sallera
2009-10-29, 04:08 PM
Dannl

Having dragged out some old Talon clothing for the day, the dwarf is slightly more respectable looking than usual, in blue and grey with a small and tattered insignia stitched on the jacket, although the effect is rather offset by the wrinkled, dusty state of the clothes. "It seems our collective employers are having a great deal of difficulty with this restoration of theirs, if our group here is anything to judge by. What has been going on with these runes you mention?"

Ganurath
2009-10-29, 04:31 PM
Diesa

Diesa sets her familiar in her lap before she begins fumbling through her pack, searching the loss documents between two leather covered books and a single paperback. "The letter I received mentioned runes and relics, and requested my expertise in the arcane to determine whether their suspicions of mystic dangers are valid. It was rather vague, though... Shall I guess that our respective letters were individualized, since you didn't know- Did I leave my copy at home?"

Sallera
2009-10-29, 04:50 PM
Dannl

"Hmm, indeed. I was requested to help them deal with a spiritual infestation of sorts, although why they think I'll be able to I'm not entirely sure... still, it seems the old Count must have been involved in some... interesting activities, if this is the sort of legacy he's left." Dannl fiddles with the tracing on the sheath of his rapier as he speaks, clearly unused to the presence of the ornate weapon.

Knowledge: History: [roll0] - what was the old Count like? Arcanist, necromancer or otherwise, by chance?

Edit: It occurs to me that this might be a Knowledge: Local thing, in which case it's +3 instead of +8.

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-29, 04:57 PM
Haves

Haves was not about to tell these strangers the truth. "I was told he had some- information- on a... an object I happen to be in possession of. Until recently I was an antiques dealer, so I was in the business of collecting old objects." Anyone who listened could tell from his stilted speech that his wasn't the whole truth, but Haves didn't care. He continued staring down at his tome, not daring open it while others were around.

Yukitsu
2009-10-29, 05:08 PM
Sallera only

Jag Van Curstlug was an Ulekian duke who was a well known traveler and general. About 100 years ago, he politically married the Countess to-be Patricia Alden, moving to the township of Aldenton because her estate was larger, and because Patricia's father, Count Edward Alden was no longer fit to run the town, having gone insane. Jag was a well respected general having fought valiantly against the men of Urnst, who referred to his keep as "le Projetere", as it's artillery could fire across the border into their fields. The county of Alden retains the name Alden, rather than Curstlug, out of tradition, rather than any other reason.

He was a reputedly gentle sort, not overly inclined to scholarly pursuits, but he was known for being a humanitarian of sorts, funding the local orphanages (some still have engravings dedicated to him).

He reputedly died in bed after an infection took hold of him from a chest wound, though the specifics elude you on that matter. His wife and child to be both died during child birth when he was still young, and he never remarried.

Ganurath
2009-10-29, 05:15 PM
Diesa

The conjurer forsakes her search for the letter, instead pulling out one of the leatherbound books, which anyone who is literate could see was titled Thesises of Stoneheart College Graduates Vol. III. Her familiar leaps out of her lap to a spot on the seat equidistant of her master and whoever sat next to Diesa, allowing the dwarf to open the book in her lap and begin looking over the index. "Runes and relics, antiques and apparations... I do hope I'm not the only one who expected danger coming here."

Nave14
2009-10-29, 07:52 PM
Tanyth

Tanyth gazed out the window, listening to the conversation happening around her in the coach car. While she hadn't expected to be accompanied in her investigation, it seemed that this motley crew of people all had some reason for ending up at the estate. Wearing her long coat in an effort to hide most of her weapons and equipment, she nevertheless fingered the sword that normally placed itself upon her mantel. Itching for a smoke, she decided to block out the craving by responding to the scholarly type who had just spoken up, "I'm here for a job, and my line of work doesn't always lead to nice people. I'm ready for some danger."

Yukitsu
2009-10-30, 10:50 AM
You can feel the carriage transition from the smooth paved city roads to the bumpy uneven dirt roads of the countryside, but you know that this means you are very nearly there. You can distinctly hear the grinding of a great metal gate being pulled open, and in but a few moments, the carriage rumbles to a stop. The door swings open, revealing a well dressed boy.

"Hello dear guests. Welcome to the Chateau Projetere."

Ganurath
2009-10-30, 01:14 PM
Diesa

The wizard nods to the boy in recognition as she puts the book away, slinging it over her should with one arm while picking up her familiar with the other. "Thank you."

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-31, 10:17 AM
Haves

Upon arrival, Haves shakes himself out of his tome-locked gaze. He turns to face the child, and makes a slight bowing gesture, as much as the carriage would provide. "Thank you and greetings. How soon will we be able to get down to business with the Count?"

Yukitsu
2009-10-31, 10:34 AM
"Mr. Jag has unfortunately fallen ill today, due to a rather all too vigorous imbibement of spirits yesterday. He has instructed me to show about the property, and to insure that you are all happy with your accomodations. He shall get down to business tomorrow."

The young boy has a crisp manner of speech, with careful and particular enunciation, as though he's trying to appear more mature than he really is.

"Well, I believe the first matter to attend to is checking in. Please. Follow me."

Yukitsu
2009-10-31, 12:31 PM
The young lad leads you through the large doors in the front of the large 4 story building, holding the door for each of you. The heavy bronze and glass doors give way to a lush interior, with deep red carpets and mahogany panelled walls. In the center is a check in desk flanked by sweeping curved stairs accessorized with gold plated rails. Chandoliers with lit candles illuminate the room.

At the check in desk, a young woman, clearly bored out of her wits, has fallen asleep, her arm over the register. The young man accompanying you sighs, grabs the pad with some effort, and turns to you.

"If you could each please leave your mark by your names, I can bring you all to your rooms. While you deal with that, I shall go fetch your keys for you. Excuse me."

Ganurath
2009-10-31, 12:56 PM
Diesa will move to be the first to sign if she can, making a mark adjacent to the name 'Diesa Stoneheart' with her own ink before slamming the pad on the table noisily, hoping to awaken the secretary. "(Dwarven) Lazy, lazy, lazy..."

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-31, 02:15 PM
Haves

Waiting momentarily for the first to finish, Haves then strikes a quick mark next to the name, paying little attention to the sleeping woman.

Yukitsu
2009-10-31, 03:07 PM
The young lass wakes with a start, clearly confused. "Gyah! What's going on? Did we open a month early?"

She manages to collect herself together, and manages to notice you. "Um. Welcome to the Chateau Projetere. Can I help you with something? Are you checking in?" There's a short, flustered panic as she looks about for the register, which was in her arms last she remembers.

Yukitsu
2009-11-01, 01:07 AM
The youth eventually settles down, and as no one in particular seems to be in need of anything, she lays her head back in her arms and closes her eyes. The boy from earlier comes around in short order with your keys."Please, follow me, if you would be so kind."

He first leads you to your rooms. On your way, you note fine paintings along each wall, and suits of empty, ornamental armour with various bits of replicated weaponry. He stops at rooms 227 through rooms 240. They are at the end of the second floor, east wing, and have a large shared common room, complete with a view of the countryside. A small table for shared breakfasts ordered to your rooms is nestled near the windows, and the spacious room is dominated by a large study desk with chairs. A chandolier with lit candles illuminates the room.

Each of you have a sparkling blue bottle and a handful of packaged chocolates on your beds. The bottles have a label indicating their contents as "lesser curative tonic with blueberry syrup." The chocolates are normal chocolates, with a bit of mint flavouring in them. There is also a lockbox and gas lamp in each room.

He hands you each a key, distinctly engraved with the room number, and gives each of you another, needed to enter the common area. "Remember, without the key to the common room, you won't be able to enter your bedroom."

He then leads you back downstairs, and to the hall behind the check in counter and past the stairs. "This is the ballroom. A quartet can play their instruments at the corner over there, and as you can see, there is a concert grand piano over there."

Turning back, and down to the West wing of the first floor, he shows you to the church, which is actually mostly made up of the original keep. The various gods line the walls, and religious symbols adorn every pew. Every god of every alignment is given a degree of respect here, making it essentially a non-denominational place of worship. "This is where one goes when they feel they must be nearer to their god or to the spirits. Not all gods visit all places equally. I'm sure you'll be through here a lot. The old foundations are beneath the altar."

"At the end of the East wing is our archives. Those are restricted though. In the center of the east wing however, we have our restaurant. All food will be on the house during your stay here." He gestures to an empty dining room with clean white table clothes, unlit candles, and in the back, you can make out stairs that likely lead to a wine cellar.

He leads you all outside, at first to a small building tucked behind the east wing. The stables. He walks past them to the hedgerows. Rose bushes seem to encircle nearly the entire compound, save the front gate. "This is our hedge maze of roses. Our gardener got rather carried away with it however. I can't recommend you enter it, as one could easily get lost in such a place."

"I believe that is everything you need you know. If you have any questions about the locations here, just ask. Someone will always be on hand."

Ganurath
2009-11-01, 01:46 AM
Diesa sticks the keys in her belt pouch, then examines the contents of the vial with an appraising sniff of the contents. When the time comes for questions asked, Diesa turns to make toward the worship area. "Shall we head down below, then?"

OOC:[roll0] to see if the smell is familiar to a bookish hag of a dwarf.

Yukitsu
2009-11-01, 11:33 AM
It smells like berry syrup unfortunately. You know the mundane flavours won't mask the actual potion, but generally curative potions taste like very pure revitilizing water.

I'll wait to see how many of you want to go down there with him.

Sallera
2009-11-01, 02:13 PM
Dannl

"Hmm, yes, may as well take a look around. I must say, this hardly seems the sort of place to hold such things as they seem to be worried about. Perhaps they've simply done an impressive job of cleaning up..." Belting on the rapier somewhat awkwardly, Dannl stuffs the keys into an inside pocket of his jacket, and turns to follow Diesa.

Yukitsu
2009-11-02, 11:00 AM
The young boy goes behind the altar, and with some effort heaves up the large trap door, revealing a flight of stone steps. The basement is dark, but the dim daylight seems to be illuminating the floor enough.

The two of you walk into the basement, which appears to have been a prison complex from back when this was a keep. The other two stay above, not overly concerned with the contents of the basement.

Downstairs only
Indeed, this once was a prison. Cells with bars line each side to the end. There must have been some sort of explosion here however, as the cell walls are covered in carbon as though from a flame, except where the terrified forms of humans have blocked the flames from the walls. You assume at least 60 people have died down here.

At the front near where you is the key shelf, the bronze cell keys covered in cobwebs, but otherwise fine.

As you stay down here, you hear a large crash, as the trap door swings itself closed.

For those outside.
Some time passes without much note. However, the trap door slams itself shut. There was no one near the door.

Sallera
2009-11-02, 11:13 AM
Dannl

"Oh, dear. This certainly seems like the sort of tragedy that could create a few ghosts..." Dannl takes a few steps down the hall, peering into the cells. "However, I haven't any means of detecting their presence, if they are indeed here..."

Ganurath
2009-11-02, 12:35 PM
Diesa

Diesa rolls her eyes, making her way back toward the trap door as she pulls out her scroll of Knock. "We both have the means at our disposal, but he's upstairs sitting on his thumbs. As much as I like the idea of getting double pay, it won't do much good if we don't survive to collect."

Yukitsu
2009-11-02, 12:49 PM
OOC: I highly recommend you check to see why it's closed before you pull out money. There are three people up top that you can talk to.

ICish: It occurs to you that the trap door was not actually locked, as the youth that opened it required no key, nor was there an indication of a key hole.

Downstairs with darkvision only
The dark soot staining the wall has disappeared with the light. The forms of dying men have disappeared, as though they had never been there.

All across the walls that were once covered with soot are odd glyphs, mostly inverted, black and white holy symbols.

Sallera
2009-11-02, 01:04 PM
Dannl

Dannl glances back at Diesa for a moment, then realizes what's happened to the walls. "Wait, you're not leaving already, are you? Look at this... fascinating. As if they're all drawn in some substance invisible in the light. And the black and white symbols; rather like the seal on those letters we received, yes?" Dannl wanders a bit further down the hall, trying to see if there's any pattern visible in the glyphs.

Knowledge: Religion: [roll0] - Are these black and white holy symbols indicative of some religious movement, recent or otherwise?
Knowledge: Arcana: [roll1] - Do they appear to hold any purpose aside from decoration?
Knowledge: ?: [roll2] - (Don't know what knowledge to use for this, but is there some alchemical substance only visible to darkvision?)

Ganurath
2009-11-02, 01:09 PM
Diesa
The conjurer turns her attention to the runes. She'll keep her scroll on hand in the meantime, however. "You'll forgive me if my eyes aren't as good as they were three centuries ago."

[roll0] to know if the runes hold any signifigance of a mystic variety, such as wards that might have been used on the people who died here.

Yukitsu
2009-11-02, 01:20 PM
Diesa:
It's a common practice of some arcanists that oppose the gods to use inverted holy symbols as a bane to outsiders related to the god (in the spell dismissal). If there were a new spell related to that purpose, it could work on the same principle.

Dannl
There are no religious groups that use such symbols, but they sometimes are used by arcanists.

The symbols don't seem to be special. It seems they were covered by something that disappeared when the door closed.

Ganurath
2009-11-02, 01:35 PM
Diesa
"Heh." Diesa smirks to herself, remembering a thesis on the use of such inverted runes. "Whatever was going on here, someone didn't want the gods to be involved... Are you familiar with the practice of inverting religious symbols?"

Sallera
2009-11-02, 01:39 PM
Dannl

"Ah, not quite. I do recall reading something on the subject a while back, but I can't remember much in the way of detail... Are you saying they... obscure the gods' sight, somehow?"

Ganurath
2009-11-02, 01:43 PM
Diesa
"As a bane in a dismissal spell used against an agent of the deity who's symbol is inverted. Used like this, though, it's likely for a custom spell... I suspect either a ward against divination or a binding, depending on the nature of this prison." Diesa makes her way along the wall, looking for runes that aren't inverted symbols. "You think there may be a pattern in the sequence?"

Sallera
2009-11-02, 02:06 PM
Dannl

"Hmm... ward or binding, or perhaps both. Might be there were clerics and priests held down here, and they were trying to deny them a connection with their patrons?" He shakes his head briefly. "Probably not a very likely theory, but the first thing that came to mind. Mostly because it would also be the sort of thing likely to create restless spirits, if they were denied a journey to their deity..."

Knowledge: History: [roll0] - Any records of vanishing clergy or religious purges from the appropriate time period?
Knowledge: Religion: [roll1] - Any pattern or connection among the deities whose symbols are depicted?

Yukitsu
2009-11-02, 02:08 PM
Dannl
There were several instances of clergy getting wiped out, but most are recorded instances of murder during the revolution, as opposed to anything more ominous. Generally it was mobs of opressed common folk in other provinces, and less so the nobility. The symbols are pretty much the entirety of the pantheon, containing symbols of every god.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 12:51 PM
To the people upstairs.
After the trap door slammed shut, a long moment of silence emerged. You hear no sounds of those who went in attempting to get out.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-03, 10:00 PM
Haves

(Above)

"Hm... Those below are rather quiet... perhaps the quiet dead? Methinks an examination is in order... but I am not so foolish as to go alone..." Reaching down to the trapdoor, and looking up at the others, Haves adopts a grim look. "Shall you come with me, and see what has held those below?"

Ganurath
2009-11-03, 10:07 PM
DiesaDiesa nods in agreement, then turns her attention down the aisle, away from the basement door. "Perhaps... I'd like to get more conclusive information before jumping to conclusions. For all we know, the runes could just as easily be keeping the haunting spirits at bay. The chamber above is just as devoted to dark gods as gentle ones, after all. The same logic applies here."

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 10:08 PM
While it's not relevant now, please spoiler text when you're in groups.

Sallera
2009-11-03, 10:19 PM
Dannl

"Aye, it was just a thought." Dannl wanders further down the hall, trying to see if there's any break or change in the glyphs. "Do you have some method of checking for magical auras? It may be a good idea to confirm the presence of any active spells before we move too much further along, and my own methods are... somewhat awkward."

Ganurath
2009-11-03, 10:40 PM
Diesa
Diesa nods, taking a deep breath to mentally prepare herself. "Of course I do, I'm a wizard."

Diesa will then cast Detect Magic, and will be concentrating on it.

Yukitsu
2009-11-04, 08:26 AM
As your eyes glance along the walls, there is the flicker of illusion magic, maybe some necromancy as well. The glyphs themselves seem mundane, but there are the old remnants of a few spells that seem to be lingering around. There do not seem to be any currently active spell effects on the walls.

Ganurath
2009-11-04, 12:55 PM
Diesa
"Necromancy and illusion, a few lingering spells... Nothing active, though. Nothing on the runes." Diesa will continue concentrating on the spell as she slowly makes her way away from the basement door, hoping to pick up a pattern in the spellwork.

[roll0] to identify the illusion spell.
[roll1] to identify the necromancy spell.

Yukitsu
2009-11-04, 01:14 PM
It is no spell that you're familiar with. It seems to be similar to an effect that instantaneously creates a creature, but has more of the fundamental attributes of the spell "path of shadows". A shadow binding possibly, but that's not quite right either.

Ganurath
2009-11-05, 01:51 AM
Diesa
"Curious..." Diesa will pause, continuing to concentrate on the spell as she turns to face Dannl, trying to balance between the spell and calling upon her knowledge. "Do you know if there are any connections between undead and the Plane of Shadow?"

[roll0] to get an estimate on how the spell interacts with the Plane of Shadow. Not sure whether Arcana or The Planes would be more appropriate, but the modifier is the same either way.

Sallera
2009-11-05, 01:56 AM
Dannl

"I'm not sure if there are many. The Plane of Shadow has its own denizens, as I recall, but there may be some sort of equivalent of a ghost...."

Knowledge: Planes: [roll0]
Knowledge: Religion: [roll1]

Yukitsu
2009-11-05, 01:57 AM
I'm afraid those checks fail, as that is a relatively tricky question. You may, however, research that question should you get the chance. You'll need somewhere with a lot of books however.

Dannl
It occurs to you that shadows and shades can come from there. However, that would imply primarily necromancy, as opposed to illusion. The effect was likely from a personally researched spell, of which there is currently insufficient data to determine.

Sallera
2009-11-08, 02:51 PM
Dannl

"Shadows, perhaps. But they are rather malevolent, whereas the letter said the spirits here had not yet attacked anyone. Whatever this effect is... well, you'd know better than I, but I think we can certainly conclude that it's not a commonly known spell." He peers into the darkness as they move along the hall. "How far back does this go?"

Yukitsu
2009-11-08, 03:21 PM
Those in the pit
The dungeon seems to extend down a good distance. A dusty old door is far down from the trap door that you came in through. It's open and leads to a flight of stairs that go downwards. The dimensions seem to be a 20 foot wide corridor down the middle, 10 by 10 cells with iron bars, and about 100 feet from the entrance to the stairs.

Ganurath
2009-11-08, 08:36 PM
Diesa

Diesa continues concentrating on the spell, moving from 40ft from the entrance to 60ft away. "The stairs at the far end were just on the edge of my darkvision before you asked, and now having walked a third that distance the entrance is at the edge. Assuming age hasn't robbed me of basic mathematics, that makes the hall a hundred feet, give or take a handspan."

Sallera
2009-11-08, 09:50 PM
Dannl

"Aye... shall we inspect the lower floor, do you think? It might be good to find any other parts of the effect before we try to deal with it."

Ganurath
2009-11-08, 11:36 PM
Diesa

The dwarf snaps her head over her shoulder, nearly losing focus on the detection spell. Nearly. "What, without the strongarm and the human library? If they hired muscle, they did it for a reason. Let's head back up and get our peers."

Yukitsu
2009-11-08, 11:43 PM
Outside:
The door rattles and shakes a bit as something tries to move it. You hear some muffled words from inside.

Inside:
The trap door seems to be jammed or something. You push up on it, but it stays fast. You give it a heave and it moves up just a little, but falls back down with a thud.

Sallera
2009-11-09, 12:16 AM
Dannl

"Ah... yes, that is a good point." Walking back to the entrance, Dannl shoves on the trapdoor, cursing as it refuses to open. "Bloody thing must have latched itself shut. Oi! Care to join us down here?"

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-09, 12:22 AM
Haves

As the rattling begins, Haves freezes. He stares down at the trapdoor, before pulling out his weak wand and pointing it at the trapdoor, as if to feign power against whatever comes through.

Ganurath
2009-11-09, 12:38 AM
Diesa

Diesa lays a reassuring hand on Dannl's shoulder before she steps up, knocking on the door before speaking loudly enough for anyone on the other side to hear.

For Any Standing By The Trapdoor:"I am going to start counting. If I haven't heard anything that sounds like a door being opened by ten, I'll hear the nearest lazy stooge choking on a cobra from the Infinite Layers of the Abyss by twelve!"

Yukitsu
2009-11-10, 09:58 PM
Those inside
It would seem your coleagues are less than responsive. You'll have to find another way to open the trap door.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-10, 10:02 PM
Haves

Hearing the shout coming from below, Haves doesn't lower his guard, but reaches down to try and open it, keeping his wand trained on the entryway.

Yukitsu
2009-11-11, 01:32 AM
The door doesn't seem to want to budge from such tentative pulling. It appears to be jammed or some such.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-11, 09:20 PM
Haves

Cursing at the blasted door, Haves shouts down to those below. "It won't open! You'll either need to force it from down there or find another path."

Ganurath
2009-11-11, 09:57 PM
Diesa

"Fetch the muscle in our group, then! Between him and one of my summons, we should manage to force it."

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-13, 07:46 PM
Haves

Haves mumbles slightly under his breath. "Breach the realms for such a trifling? He shall be the end of us all..." Haves then turns swiftly to the others, a pointer finger drifting about. "Would one of you count as the 'muscle' so desired? Hm?"

Yukitsu
2009-11-13, 11:58 PM
Not in particular, no. But all four of you plus whatever he conjures up is likely to be sufficient.

Sallera
2009-11-20, 01:25 AM
Dannl

Dannl turns to Diesa with a shrug. "Well, naught left but to try, I suppose. I fear I'll not be able to provide much in the way of assistance, but I'll make the attempt. What sort of summoning did you have in mind?"

Yukitsu
2009-11-24, 04:51 PM
The young boy leading you about the place has returned, bringing with him a a young man. He seems to be bright eyed and idealistic (compared to most people in Aldenton) and is, somewhat fit.

Tanyth, feeling slightly ill has excused herself.

"I brought another guest with me. He seems pretty strong, and I thought you may need a hand with your current predicament." exclaims the youth with a smile.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-24, 06:50 PM
Ummm, hi everybody, I'm Vince, Vince von Dargun, I was invited, but unfortunately I ran a little late, it doesn't happen a lot, I promise.

Anyway is there anyone who could give me a quick run down of what seems to be happening here?

OOC: if any of you like to hear a description of what you see, I can write one up

@ DM for tactical purposes if Vince is informed of danger he'll draw his shotgun first and only draw the his sword and shield when he emptied his gun(2 shots I presume).

Sallera
2009-11-24, 07:06 PM
Dannl

The dwarf tilts his head at the arrival of the new voice from above, trying to catch the words. "That sounds like what we've been waiting for." Tapping on the underside of the door, he attempts to find a place to stand where he can apply pressure and leave room for Diesa's summoned assistance.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-24, 07:21 PM
Haves

Haves stares intently at the new arrival, scowling slightly. "You seek to help? Hm? Two among our number descended into the rooms below and now this door will not open. We intend to use force shortly. Now let us act."

Ganurath
2009-11-24, 07:22 PM
Diesa

The venerable dwarf shouts from below. "The door is jammed, and you're going to help us force it! We'll try without my summons first, since you're apparently a strong arm, then we'll add the hound if need be."

((Said Celestial Hound boosted by Augment Summoning would be summoned on the "push" side of the door.))

Yukitsu
2009-11-24, 08:06 PM
With the addition of another helping set of hands, the door starts to give way with a grind. Strangely, as it starts to move up, it doesn't seem to unjam all at once, but creaks upward as though a great weight were on it. After a concerted effort, the door flies open, and the altar, a full 10 feet away, topples over.

Sallera
2009-11-24, 08:30 PM
Dannl

Unbalanced by the sudden release of pressure, Dannl finds himself in a seated position as the door flies open. Wincing at the crash from above, he clears his throat a couple times before calling up. "Did you break something?"

Ganurath
2009-11-24, 11:34 PM
Diesa

After a quick cough, Diesa pulls herself upright. She perks a brow when she sees the altar, then looks back down at the hallway. "It would seem the altar devoted to every god was knocked over by the door to the prison hall opposed to every god."

Sallera
2009-11-24, 11:42 PM
Dannl

"Now that's an interesting connection." Pulling himself to his feet, he glances back down the hall to see if anything else has changed. "I wonder why that didn't happen the first time the door was opened?"

Ganurath
2009-11-25, 12:03 AM
Diesa

The conjurer peers down the hall, then looks to her companions. "Nobody to imprison before?"

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-25, 02:09 AM
Vince

I've been here a few minuits and already weird things are happening, what a fine day we have for us today.

Regardless, I can only see one course of action, we'll have to explore, with caution of course, I'll lead the way, but keep your eyes peeled

I slowly and carefully move down the trapdoor, looking for anything that looks odd or out of place.

OOC: things are getting scary so I initiate the stance of "boistering voices" giving everyone who can hear me and is within 60 ft. of me +2 to will or +4 against fear(these are moral bonuses).

Ganurath
2009-11-25, 02:21 AM
Diesa

The venerable dwarven woman will grab Vince as he tries to cross the threshold. "Nobody else is going down until the doors to the trap door are either firmly secured open or removed from the hinges."

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-25, 02:32 AM
Vince

I suppose that would be wise, do you have any idea on how to achieve that, aside from trying to destroy it?

Yukitsu
2009-11-25, 11:30 AM
The young man looks at you, and says "I'll fetch the custodian. We'll need to fix the altar anyway. We should have the door off its hinges in perhaps an hour or so. In the mean time, if you'd like, I could show you around the rest of the chateau, or perhaps you would fancy some lunch? Or if you'd like, we could simply wait here for an hour."

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-25, 12:38 PM
Vince

Waiting an hour seems so wasteful, but unless anyone has a better idea we might as well take the tour.
I haven't seen a lot of the castle yet and I'm rather excited to see the rest, it should also give us the opportunity to get to know each other better.

Ganurath
2009-11-25, 12:39 PM
Diesa

The squat crone nods in satisfaction, making her way toward the exit. "I'd like to see what books are available for me to double-check my initial analysis of the runes on the hallway's walls. A combination of necromancy and the Plane of Shadow sets off warning bells in the back of my head."

Yukitsu
2009-11-25, 12:55 PM
"I shall request that our receptionist bring the books you desire to the commons room, though I'm not overly certain as to which runes your referring to." The boy seems earnestly puzzled by the request, but sends for the records on the basement of the keep anyway. He adds in a few books relating to general planar, religious and arcane knowledge to the list of required readings as well.

"While the proper books are being collected, I suppose it would be most polite bringing our newcomer around the estate. If you have any additional needs, I would be happy to accomodate them." (Please refer to the previous post describing the estate)

Yukitsu
2009-11-25, 01:00 PM
An hour later, the altar is upright, but is in a clear state of disrepair, needing a few replacement panels, and one replacement leg. The trap door is leaning on the wall. Strangely, it would appear that the hinges that connected it to the flagstone floors were pulled out from the ground, rather than unbolted as they should have been, leaving rather odd gouges in the stone floor.

Light once again streams down into the basement, illuminating the inverted shadows along the wall.

DM's rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-25, 02:13 PM
Vince will wait around until everybody is ready and in agreement that we should go, then he will proceed as previously planned.

OOC: I assume I was introduced and brought up to date in the hour we just skipped, but there was one knowledge check I still want to make.

[roll0] about whoever owns this castle

Edit:
Van Curstlug, that's an odd name for somebody from that part of the world, I take a mental note to do some research into that when I have the time.

Yukitsu
2009-11-25, 02:23 PM
Vince

Jag Van Curstlug was an Ulekian duke who was a well known traveler and general. About 100 years ago, he politically married the Countess to-be Patricia Alden, moving to the township of Aldenton because her estate was larger, and because Patricia's father, Count Edward Alden was no longer fit to run the town, having gone insane. Jag was a well respected general having fought valiantly against the men of Urnst, who referred to his keep as "le Projetere", as it's artillery could fire across the border into their fields. The county of Alden retains the name Alden, rather than Curstlug, out of tradition, rather than any other reason.

He was a reputedly gentle sort, not overly inclined to scholarly pursuits, but he was known for being a humanitarian of sorts, funding the local orphanages (some still have engravings dedicated to him).

He has been dead for quite some time, and had no heirs.

Sallera
2009-11-27, 11:34 AM
Dannl

"Hmm. Well, do you want to investigate the second level before we start searching through books, or shall we try to figure out the first set instead?" Dannl peers down into the basement. "Oh, and we'll need some sort of shuttered light source if we do go, for the others. I assume the light will have a similar effect on whatever we find."

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-28, 08:04 PM
Haves

Haves spent the hour mumbling to himself, studying his tome while waiting for the other books to arrive. Once the discussion on the course of action begins, Haves begins flipping through the books carefully. "Knowledge is the truest defense... it may serve us well to equip ourselves with the information we need before we delve. We need not commit anything to memory, if we find the chapters needed the information can be swiftly transcribed to a blank tome."

Yukitsu
2009-11-29, 02:36 AM
You return to your rooms, and find a tidy stack of books in the commons area. Approximately 4 feet tall, there must be thousands of pages.
The top ones seem to be the oldest, and going down, the records appear to be newer.

The very first ones are surveys of the land, accounting information for the keep's production, and names of workers, worker casualties and other miscellaneous building information. The old site plans are also in there.

The next few books are the chronicles of the various Counts that have ruled the city. Edward Alden was the fifth count, and was preceded by Johnathan Alden, Harold Alden the second, Harold Alden and Joseph Canterbury, who lost the holding to Harold Alden during an internobility scuffle.

The records indicate that Canterbury was suspected of treason, hoping to change his allegiance to the king of Urnst for favour. The Count Alden managed to take the keep, beat back a reinforcing army of Urnstians from the north, and to hold the keep ever since.

Edward Alden, the last prior was recorded going insane shortly after his father passed away, deteriorating to the point where he could not longer perform his duties as the lord of Alden within 2 years, paving the way for Patricia Alden's political marriage and the rise of Jag Von Curstlug as the count of Alden.

Looking at the old build records and the new, you note that there is a sunken chamber in the floor beneath the prison, shaped as a boats hull. The reverse ribbed vault fairly precisely mirrors the church above it.

The master build records and repair invoices do not note any flash fire or explosions down there, nor do they indicate any instance of occult activity that would indicate what that spell in particular may mean. There are also no records indicating that those inverted holy symbols are down there at all.

On the issue of the magic detected while you were down there, you feel a slight chill, as the books reveals what your sensation meant. You weren't seeing a spell, or even the remnants of a spell. You were looking directly at some manner of creature that was magical in origin...

To gain further insight on any particular topic, you'll need to make research or knowledge checks.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-11-29, 09:31 AM
Vince

"As I'm not much of an academic, I'll leave the actual research to the rest of you. Picks up employments lists, "I'll just keep myself occupied with some history reading"

I'm going to see if there are any wizards, clerics and the like are listed anywhere, do I have to make a check for this?

Yukitsu
2009-11-29, 01:01 PM
Nothing spectacular on there. A few bardic illusionists who visited as entertainers from time to time. The keep historically had a few clerics who would hold services once a week coming in from the city, but they weren't very significant casters. During war time, the number of wizards spiked up a bit, which is as expected, with some royal war wizards moved north to assist his armies. As far as you can tell, they weren't evil cultists that were warping the castle.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-29, 02:12 PM
Haves

Looking through the pile of books, the paranoid scholar begins to research the mysterious chamber beneath the prison, cross-referencing the build dates with other major events occurring at the same time.

Not sure what rolls to make, so I'll just make a couple random d20 rolls.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Yukitsu
2009-11-29, 02:24 PM
Flipping through the books, the dungeon was added in the year before Curstlug became the count of Alden, corresponding to the increasing paranoia of Edward, about 100 years ago. Prior, it would appear that the keep was placed over top of a natural well, which kept the garrisoned troops well watered during sieges, and the underground basement and sub-basement were used as pools to collect large quantities of water.

During the refurbishment, 11 men died. Looking into the how and why, it appears they died of strangulation, which was accredited to a serial murderer, or possibly to Edward.

After Curstlug became the count of Alden, the building remained relatively unchanged. Although he had planned on changing the basement into storage facilities, he wound up simply storing things in the cells.

Sallera
2009-11-29, 03:31 PM
Dannl

"Hmm, there must be some mention of these effects. Can't see why it would change in the dark for no reason..."

Attempting to look into both the issue of the changing images on the walls, and whatever this 'creature' may be...
Arcana: [roll0]
Architecture: [roll1]
Planes: [roll2]
Religion: [roll3]

Yukitsu
2009-11-29, 03:38 PM
You can't seem to figure out the symbols being there at all, but you are beginning to suspect that the strange effects on the walls is due to some creature standing over it. There are no known monsters that have this effect however.

Ganurath
2009-12-01, 01:12 AM
On the issue of the magic detected while you were down there, you feel a slight chill, as the books reveals what your sensation meant. You weren't seeing a spell, or even the remnants of a spell. You were looking directly at some manner of creature that was magical in origin...Diesa

After a few moments contemplation, Diesa starts rattling off every profanity in the Dwarven language relating to misfortune. "Does anyone have the means to overcome illusions? I'd bet a platinum that the creature was holding the door shut, and was throne into the altar when we got it open. It's somewhere loose in the estate."

Yukitsu
2009-12-01, 01:17 AM
It occurs to you that you can evidently pick up its aura with detect magic, and thus could in theory find it in that manner, or at the very least, get the general area.

Ganurath
2009-12-01, 01:18 AM
Diesa

Diesa bows her head in shame. "I'd just use Detect Magic like before, but I only had one casting prepared today."

Sallera
2009-12-01, 04:48 AM
Dannl

The dwarf glances around somewhat furtively, not looking particularly pleased with the idea. "Ah... oh dear. Well, given a short time to prepare, I could acquire the means to detect magic... if you think that the best solution."

Eternal Kanus
2009-12-01, 10:21 AM
Haves

"I have the means of perceiving magical auras as well, but if there is a simple mundane solution, I would prefer that..."

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-01, 11:54 AM
Vince

Well, I'm no expert on magic, but generally, you need magic to find magic.
And judging by his tone, I think your solution would be simpler.

Ganurath
2009-12-01, 12:35 PM
Diesa

"Do you see a beard, child?!" The elderly dwarven woman glares daggers at Vince for a few seconds before turning her attention to Haves and Dannl. "Neither of us were able to see the creature, which means that it's somehow hidden from sight, most likely inate invisibility. I have a casting of Glitterdust ready to make it visible when we find it, but first we need to find it."

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-01, 06:43 PM
Diesa

"Do you see a beard, child?!" The elderly dwarven woman glares daggers at Vince for a few seconds before turning her attention to Haves and Dannl. ]

OOC: in a real conversation, it would have been clear that "his" was refering to Dannl and not Diesa.

Sallera
2009-12-02, 11:41 AM
Dannl

"Well, if you can do it, you may as well. My version is... not mundane, no. Although now that you mention it, perhaps we should stop by the kitchen and pick up a few small pouches of flour in case it manages to avoid the spell." He glances around, seeming to think, then adds: "Or if there's more than one."

Ganurath
2009-12-02, 01:00 PM
Diesa

The crone nods in agreement. "The means are trivial, so long as we can expose the creature. It may have been relatively benign when we were in the hall, but given the aura of necromancy I doubt that will remain the case."

Yukitsu
2009-12-02, 01:10 PM
The young boy that has been attending you leaves, coming back later with the girl from the desk, each dragging sacks of flour and several small sacks to bring with you.

"I do ask that if at all possible, you not use too much of this in places with no problems. Cleaning the flour out of the furniture and carpet is rather difficult."

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-04, 08:19 PM
Vince

Is everybody done with their preparations? Vince moves around anxiously, obviously eager to get going.

Ganurath
2009-12-04, 08:46 PM
Diesa

"As prepared as we can be, I suppose." Diesa grabs one of the smaller bags of flour, pinching it to examine its composition, texture, et cetera. "Remind me to prepare Prestidigitation after we pinpoint this thing. Start by the altar?"

[roll0] to determine if the flour trick would work on various forms of unseen enemies.

Yukitsu
2009-12-04, 11:30 PM
Diesa

"As prepared as we can be, I suppose." Diesa grabs one of the smaller bags of flour, pinching it to examine its composition, texture, et cetera. "Remind me to prepare Prestidigitation after we pinpoint this thing. Start by the altar?"

[roll0] to determine if the flour trick would work on various forms of unseen enemies.

It will work on any that aren't incorporeal, not real, or two dimensional.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-05, 05:34 AM
Vince

May I suggest we create a marching order then, so that everybody can watch each others back. I'll also advise everybody to ready whatever they have to protect themselves with as we're apparently hunting monsters. Vince brings out his shotgun and prepares his other equipment so that it is easily accessible.
I'll go in first, I suggest that whoever is most capable of taking care of him or herself goes last.

Ganurath
2009-12-05, 01:09 PM
Diesa

"I'll go second to last, and Dannl will go second to front. You're are only toughy, but Haves isn't providing any essential magic and he strikes me as a screamer." With that said, Diesa casts Mage Armor to sheath herself in a robe of force energy. "He can take the rear, make a decent alarm."

Eternal Kanus
2009-12-08, 08:53 PM
Haves

Haves doesn't seem quite aware of the insults being slung in his direction, but constantly looks around, assuming his place at the end of the order.

Sallera
2009-12-08, 09:23 PM
Dannl

Taking one of the small pouches of flour, Dannl stuffs it in the lower left pocket of his jacket (the right already containing several miscellanea). "I suppose whatever this thing is, it won't have gone too far. If it was holding down the trap as you suggested... well, it would seem to have some interest in us."

Ganurath
2009-12-09, 12:14 AM
Diesa

The conjurer nods, taking her place in the line. "Wanted us to stay in the prison, most likely. Odds are the creature will still lurk there due to this affinity, so that would be the best place to start."

Yukitsu
2009-12-09, 12:18 AM
The lot of you file down the hall of the chateau, variably huddled together, or striding with self confidence forward. You get to the exposed trap door yet again. There is nothing amiss in the church, but you are not sure if something is waiting for you below.

Sallera
2009-12-12, 01:03 AM
Dannl

Peering down into the prison, Dannl traces the edge of the removed hinges with one finger. "Any traces of magic, Haves? We may want to check out the lower level."

[roll0] - Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering, to see if there's any obvious reason why it was detached that way; also whether it looks like there was any chance there was some sort of mechanical connection to the altar. Not that he really believes that, but while they're here...

Yukitsu
2009-12-12, 12:30 PM
You can't fathom that there is anything useful about that manner of door removal. You suppose it would be fastest if you were strong enough that pulling it out where easier than unscrewing it though.

There is nor was no connection between the door and the altar.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-12, 02:27 PM
Vince

"I do believe we've spend enough time on being careful, let's confront our fears." Vince slowly moves through the trapdoor.

[roll0]

Yukitsu
2009-12-12, 03:42 PM
You see what the others saw when they went down there. From what little light is streaming in through the trapdoor, you can see the walls have reverse shadows printed on them. It appears that a flash fire broke out, singing the walls, except where blocked by human forms.

The dungeon extends back 100 feet, and with the dim light, you think you can see a doorway at the end of the hall.

The place is lined with iron barred cells, and a small wooden key shelf is pegged to the wall near you. Pristine brass keys are arranged in neat rows along it.

People looking down there or down there with detect magic
There is a pretty strong feeling of illusions down there, as well as some necromancy. All of it is on the walls.

Sallera
2009-12-15, 08:49 PM
Dannl

"Hmm... I would like to check whether the symbols still show up in the dark, but since they've ripped this door out, it won't fit properly any more..." Descending into the dungeon, Dannl moves over to one of the walls, running a finger across the edge of one of the reverse shadows.

Checking to see if there are any traces of ash, or if the 'burnt' area feels different from the not-so-burnt area.

Yukitsu
2009-12-15, 09:50 PM
Before you start poking about, first, you seem to recall the burnt parts being different. It seems they've moved since you've last been here.

With a quick search check however, you find the keys to the cells, and open a door. Are you going to open up the cell and poke about the wall?

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-16, 04:43 PM
Vince

Vince looks carefully at this new and strange environment.
"How odd: the walls appear singed, but the keys are still pristine.
What could have caused something like that?"

Sallera
2009-12-16, 05:15 PM
Dannl

Stopping halfway through turning the key, Dannl steps back, looking around further. "Wait a moment; are these even the same shadows? I do believe they've moved on us... Haves? What do you see on the magical side of things?"

Eternal Kanus
2009-12-17, 09:58 PM
Haves

Using a small amount of magical energy, Haves attempts to discern any magical auras about the shadows, and keeping an eye out for the invisible creature.

Yukitsu
2009-12-18, 01:15 PM
Haves:

There is a pretty strong feeling of illusions down there, as well as some necromancy. All of it is on the walls.

Yukitsu
2009-12-19, 10:03 PM
Right, so Haves has determined that there is a strong aura of both illusion and necromancy. You can tell because he has started cowering in a corner near the altar.

You hear a bit of rustling down there, like something is unsettled by all this.

Ganurath
2009-12-19, 11:07 PM
Diesa

Seizing the initiative, Diesa turns her eye where she hears the rustling. Assuming she has a direct line, she'll fire an acid splash at the source of the sound. "Reveal yourself, if you can."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Yukitsu
2009-12-19, 11:25 PM
The flower flies in a neat arch, and smacks against one of the walls, with an anti climactic wump, covering a section of wall in bright white flour. Nothing seems to emerge from the cloud of white dust, and nothing seems to have been revealed.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-22, 12:50 PM
Vince

"Well aside from the scary auras, nothing horrible has appeared, the shapes on the wall are probably just an illusion, that explains how they appear oddly different and why the keys are unaffected."
Vince picks up a key"Lets open a cell and see what happens"

OoC: I'm not opening the cell yet in case someone disagrees, but if no one responds then I'll open up the cell in a day or so.

Sallera
2009-12-22, 07:10 PM
Dannl

The dwarf steps back, replacing his key as Vince approaches the cell door. "Right, go ahead then..." Turning to Diesa, he continues in a somewhat lower voice. "What are your thoughts? You said it seemed benign before, and these odd shadows would seem to be its work, since they haven't bothered remaining still..."

Ganurath
2009-12-22, 08:49 PM
Diesa

The conjurer furrows her brow as her spell, not her flour, missed her mark. Turning to her kinsman, she nods in affirmation. "That's my working hypothe- Wait, we don't know what's in those cells!"

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-23, 01:19 PM
Vince

Vince stops walking and turns to Diesa
"Well, yes, that is the idea, we want to investigate, don't we? Haves didn't see anything and we can't keep jumping at every shadow."
Vince stops and thinks for a moment. "But I suppose, if it makes you feel better, we could first poke around with a stick or something like that, to make absolutely sure nothing is in there."

Eternal Kanus
2009-12-27, 05:54 PM
Haves

Regaining what little composure he has, Haves returns to the others. "If in the shadows we must search, proper bait must be offered. If there is a creature that deceives the eyes within these chambers, a simple stick will not reveal it. If you will not search them yourself than I say we leave them be."

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-01-03, 06:16 PM
"You know about stuff like this, I suppose, so I'll follow your advise. I'm going in, prepare yourselves!" Vince uses the key to open a cell, keeping his shotgun close, he opens the cell door, so wide that he just fits through the opening, and walks into the cell.

Yukitsu
2010-01-09, 12:20 AM
I apologize. My alert for this thread didn't go off, even though it was supposed to.

As you enter the cell, there's a faint ruffling along the walls, and the small room seems to have an omnicient gloom to it. As you get closer to the wall, dark tendrils of shadow race off the walls, trying to grab at you. To the others, it appears as little more than shadows on your neck, but to you, it feels like a steely grip.

DM's rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]

Opposed grapple DC 23. If you fail, take 1 point of damage.

From all across the hallway, in each and every cell you can hear rustling and screaching, like barbs being drawn across steel, as the shapes on the walls dance and shift.

You all get actions before the monsters get another.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-01-09, 07:32 AM
[roll0]

"Agg, arr, grr, I'm holding on to it, attack it from a safe distance, don't worry about me."

OoC: initiate stance: boistering voices

Edit: the roll should be +5(+2 str, +3 BaB), it hardly matters, but I wanted it to be clear.

Sallera
2010-01-11, 11:34 AM
Dannl

The dwarf fumbles for his rapier, nearly ramming the hilt through the bag of flour in his pocket as he tries to draw it out. "I don't think I'm quite equipped for cutting shadows... should have... oh, bother." Finally wresting the blade free of its sheath, he looks around at the other cells, hovering near the door of the open one. "There seem to be rather a lot of them... or a very large creature. Do you think the darkness before had some effect on its ability to manifest?"