PDA

View Full Version : Fists, Fire, Fun!

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-28, 09:49 AM
Okay, so, I may be being asked to make a character for a higher level game (presumably 8-10, something there, will be my starting level) and I want to have the character as much in place as possible. It’s not an optimized game or anything, but I still want a vaguely capable character with some interesting abilities. So I came up with this…and it’s a horrible idea, I know, but wheeeee….

Lion Totem Barbarian 1: Because there is never anything wrong with pounce.

Monk 4: For Ki Strike Magic Weapons, a decent unarmed strike, and most especially, taking Fiery Fists (rather than one of the other two monk bonus feats) from CW at Monk 2 instead of waiting for the BAB requirement to kick in, and for bonus uses of stunning fist to fuel MORE FIERY FISTS.

Fighter/Full BAB class: Fighter would be for feats, to pick up things like the weapon focus line and other things.

Key Feats: Fiery Fists at monk 2 – Listen, stunning fist is okay, but it doesn’t light people on fire.
Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Natural Attack – Combined with these, my basic unarmed attack will hit for 2d8. Whee!
Two Weapon Fighting – Now, since this would be a different unarmed attack, the “off-hand” would only be at 1d10, but that’s not bad! Potentially heading down the rest of the line, this could give me many more attacks and simply preclude the need for flurry.
Jumping Kick (or whatever its called) – If I’m already charging (and I plan on doing so often!), an extra 1d12 every time isn’t going to make me unhappy.
Ki Blast: No, this not key to the build at all and may never be used but dammit, HADOUKEN

The point of this build:

To emulate the most ridiculous fighting game character ever. Seriously. If I could flavor Ki Blast as him signing an autograph and hurling I will do so (Dan ftw). I picture the pouncing charge as a hurricane kick (ON FIRE! So it’s like a super hurricane kick!)

Anyways, mechanically, this fellow only loses 1 BAB to monk (I think), swings his fists for 2d8 damage a shot and follows up with a 1d10 “off-hand” attack, can make a full attack + flurry on a charge, can take a swift action before charging to light unarmed strikes on FIRE while doing so. Basically, it will be fun and will result in a lot of wacky stuff. If I remember correctly, the initial AB loss on flurry is -2, but the bonus on charge is +2, so I could Flurry-Charge at no-penalty BAB. I might use a fighter feat to pick up weapon focus to wipe out the lost BAB from the monk levels. Honestly, I’m not 100% sure what the fighter feat/levels will be for right now, most likely expanding my unarmed attacks with as much of the two weapon fighting line as I can afford to take, and hell, maybe even go for Improved Critical or something if I stick it out. I was potentially considering “Roundabout Kick”, so that crits would not only crit, but allow an extra attack, AND an extra d6 bonus damage if I had Fiery Fists active.

So yeah. This sounds like a lot of fun to me. Are there impossibilities I am not looking at here? Something I’m missing? Obviously MAD is going to SUCK, and power attack is essentially a wasted feat that is necessary for jumping kick, but this still looks like a workable build. Weaknesses are clearly MAD, non-enchanted weapons, etc. I might use fighter levels to push myself into the requisite feats for Kensai, which CAN enchant its fists, but that would be at higher levels still. Might be worthwhile, though, for burning magical fists of lawful fury.

Wereling
2009-10-28, 10:20 AM
I don't think your build will work, since Barbarian's alignment restriction is "any nonlawful" and Monk's alignment restriction is "any lawful"

Optimystik
2009-10-28, 10:21 AM
Carmendine Monk/Wizard/Enlightened Fist is SAD and gives you all the hadoukens and other fighting game moves you could want. Or use regular monk and go Psionic Fist so you're throwing energy blasts without mucking around with components and such.

I don't think your build will work, since Barbarian's alignment restriction is "any nonlawful" and Monk's alignment restriction is "any lawful"

You keep your existing monk abilities even after you turn Chaotic, so he could always change alignments partway through.

Indon
2009-10-28, 10:41 AM
You keep your existing monk abilities even after you turn Chaotic, so he could always change alignments partway through.

And vice versa - to my knowledge, all you lose is the ability to Rage for being a lawful Ex-Barbarian.

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-28, 10:50 AM
The only thing you lose from losing chaotic as a barbarian is the ability to rage and take levels in Barbarian.

The only thing you lose from going chaotic as a monk is the ability to take further levels in monk.

So that part works.

What is Carmendine monk from? I'm wary about taking levels in wizard or something similar for enlightened fist.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 11:26 AM
Psionic Fist: Actual PrC or refluff of Enlightened Fist.

You tell me...please :smallwink:

Fishy
2009-10-28, 11:27 AM
Psionic Fist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm): It's like a Monk, but with class features!