PDA

View Full Version : Tippyverse question...

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 11:01 AM
So, what happens if you make an automatically resetting trap of time stop?

BRC
2009-10-28, 11:04 AM
The universe breaks and the History Monks have to show up and fix it.
Remember Rule 1

LCR
2009-10-28, 11:06 AM
What exactly is rule 1? Is that the rule about everything being a fetish to somebody? Because I can totally see some steamy fiction about those history monks.

BRC
2009-10-28, 11:08 AM
What exactly is rule 1? Is that the rule about everything being a fetish to somebody? Because I can totally see some steamy fiction about those history monks.

Nope, that's rule 34.

Rule 1 is Never act incautiously when encountering a smiling little old bald man with a broom.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 11:17 AM
Is the Tippyverse an actual setting, or a general world where all the insanity that D&D can make exists, or something else entirely. I see it mentioned often, but have no idea what it is.

Johel
2009-10-28, 11:20 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm

Target: You
This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds.

I guess that, fluff-wise, since it's basically a über version of "haste", your trap only allow the target to act reeeeeeally fast.
Each round, the target can act as if 1d4+1 rounds had passed.
So, for every 6 seconds, it gains about 18 seconds of actions, a net gain of 12 seconds a round. On the length of a whole day, that's a gain of about 2 days.
Conclusion : time stop allow you to live at thrice the normal speed.

cheezewizz2000
2009-10-28, 11:23 AM
Is the Tippyverse an actual setting, or a general world where all the insanity that D&D can make exists, or something else entirely. I see it mentioned often, but have no idea what it is.

I've always thought it stood for "Typical Universe". I.E.: one in which all rules are taken as is and there is no homebrewing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Johel
2009-10-28, 11:24 AM
I've always thought it stood for "Typical Universe". I.E.: one in which all rules are taken as is and there is no homebrewing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Emperor Tippy would laugh to death if he was to read that one... :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2009-10-28, 11:25 AM

Great for short-term gain, but it's a long-term way to burn out fast. We are as mayflies as it is.

kamikasei
2009-10-28, 11:26 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

It's not an actual setting but a blanket term describing a hypothetical setting in which things operate according to what forum poster Emperor Tippy regards as the natural and inevitable consequences of the RAW of 3.5 D&D. Unassailable, all-seeing wizards reign over a magical infrastructure that, for example, abuses the magic trap guidelines to produce as much food and mundane goods as anyone could want.

cheezewizz2000
2009-10-28, 11:28 AM

Stupid, gun-wielding pillsboughry dough boy...

I always thought his name was based on the "Tippyverse" rather than the other way around. I mean, he is the main offender for pointing out loop-holes that allow you to live indefinately whilst inside a fish-bowl while an illusion of your simulacrum's clone goes out to gain you xp or something like that. RAW is what he does.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 11:30 AM

And Emperor Tippy is.....

Great for short-term gain, but it's a long-term way to burn out fast. We are as mayflies as it is.

Might work well with your Bio-Mages perhaps. Haven't read them in ages, but IIRC they die early anyway by burning themselves out casting spells. I using Bio-energy (?) causes you to look more aged as well then you could literally watch them age before your eyes :smallbiggrin:

Of course this is all based on horribly mis-remembered information and so probably makes no sense, but meh.

hamishspence
2009-10-28, 11:33 AM
The key phrase is "there is no homebrewing"

By definition, all epic spells that have not actually been published in a WoTC book, are homebrew- the epic spell rules are a "Guide To Homebrewing Your Own Epic Spells"

Depending on your interpretation, any rules for becoming a divinity count as homebrew, since Deities and Demigods makes it clear mortals (excepting dragons) can't become deities without DM intervention.

Johel
2009-10-28, 11:33 AM

Him (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=1205).
Now, bow low before he decides to use a Locate City bomb on you. And that's when he is in a good mood.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 11:36 AM
Now, bow low before he decides to use a Locate City bomb on you. And that's when he is in a good mood.

That's ok, the Locate City Bomb doesn't work. I'm not sure why (I've never been bothered to read it) but I'm quite sure I'm safe for now :smallcool:

hamishspence
2009-10-28, 11:41 AM
I think the reason given was "it is a circle- not an area"- hence Explosive Spell doesn't work since it keys off areas-

and even if it did work it would only propel you 1 inch straight up.

Johel
2009-10-28, 11:53 AM
I think the reason given was "it is a circle- not an area"- hence Explosive Spell doesn't work since it keys off areas-

Something like that, yes.
Though it's really nickpick, at that point.

You can still commit a genocide with a ring of telekinesis, a ring of invisibility, a symbol of insanity and "Overland Fly".
100.000 gp for the first use.
5.000 gp for each of the following.
Worth it or not, that's your call.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 11:56 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm

I guess that, fluff-wise, since it's basically a über version of "haste", your trap only allow the target to act reeeeeeally fast.
Each round, the target can act as if 1d4+1 rounds had passed.
So, for every 6 seconds, it gains about 18 seconds of actions, a net gain of 12 seconds a round. On the length of a whole day, that's a gain of about 2 days.

However....the caster is, in this case, the trap. No person need even be there for the trap to go off, depending on the trigger and the automatic reset.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 12:00 PM

Or you could just add Fell Drain to it, and usher in the wightopocalypse.

SparkMandriller
2009-10-28, 12:04 PM
That's ok, the Locate City Bomb doesn't work. I'm not sure why (I've never been bothered to read it) but I'm quite sure I'm safe for now :smallcool:

That just means you're gonna be walking along one day and suddenly a invisible ironguarded polymorphed into a shadesteel golem and under a timestop wizard's gonna appear and mindrape you into his eternally loyal servant. Like he's done to um I think everyone else. I dunno, something like that.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 12:07 PM
Or you could just add Fell Drain to it, and usher in the wightopocalypse.

I must now look it up. Oh this will make a nice plot point in one of my games....:smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 12:12 PM
Fell Drain: Anyone that takes damage from a spell gets a negative level. Obviously, death by negative levels results in rising again 24 hours later unless raised. I highly doubt most cities have enough standing rez ability to take care of that many dead commoners...especially given that casters are at risk of losing spells to the level drain too.

Now, thats a +2 metamagic.

You need something with big range and that does damage.

Snowcasting and Flash Frost are the feats used to add damage in the locate city bomb. You can find a different way if you prefer, but this works fine.

So, now the only thing you need is a base spell with a large target area. Locate city is typically chosen because it's low level.

Edited to make the chain clearer and shorter.

It works much better than the original locate city bomb, because it avoids the shape issue, and doesn't bother with saves(original bomb had two, passing either was enough to live). Plus, the added effect of undead everywhere is fun for the whole family.

Emperor Tippy
2009-10-28, 12:53 PM

The creature targeted by it is effected just as if they had cast time stop that round (gain 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time).

I have a "tippyverse" that is the original and is an actual setting. It avoids some of the extremes that are generally covered under the term "tippyverse" but they are all the same basic idea.

It was definitely worthy of a laugh.

Stupid, gun-wielding pillsboughry dough boy...

I always thought his name was based on the "Tippyverse" rather than the other way around. I mean, he is the main offender for pointing out loop-holes that allow you to live indefinately whilst inside a fish-bowl while an illusion of your simulacrum's clone goes out to gain you xp or something like that. RAW is what he does.

No, it originated with me. Someone else came up with the specific name but it's my idea.

The one true god? Made of Win?

I despise the locate city bomb. It technically doesn't work (the area is a circle not a sphere) and it is inelegant. If you want to wipe out everyone in the area just use Create Greater Undead for a Spectre and then Command Undead before starting a chain.

That just means you're gonna be walking along one day and suddenly a invisible ironguarded polymorphed into a shadesteel golem and under a timestop wizard's gonna appear and mindrape you into his eternally loyal servant. Like he's done to um I think everyone else. I dunno, something like that.

Really not worth the effort. Unless you are a pain, it's just not worth the wizards time to actually spend all that much effort ruling. Sure, a few Contact Other Planes to make sure that no real threats are coming, some spies placed around, and making sure that the magical infrastructure keeps working is one thing. In total you are talking about maybe an hours worth of time per day for the wizards. Actually running a Big Brother type state and mind raping everything is pretty much a full time job, which doesn't leave time to do the fun things.

ondonaflash
2009-10-28, 01:17 PM
Actually running a Big Brother type state and mind raping everything is pretty much a full time job, which doesn't leave time to do the fun things.

Read: Succubus Orgy.

Johel
2009-10-28, 01:28 PM

Don't forget kids : safe sex is good sex.
Always keep a scarab of Protection in your spell component pouch...

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 01:31 PM

Why read a Succubus orgy when you can take part in one :smallcool:

Don't forget kids : safe sex is good sex.
Always keep a scarab of Protection in your spell component pouch...

Or buy the Book of Erotic Fantasy and never look back :smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 01:56 PM
The creature targeted by it is effected just as if they had cast time stop that round (gain 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time).

Hmm, target:Personal...we need to somehow make the trap a legitimate target for itself. Awakened object perhaps? Im not quite sure how legitimate a trap as part of a being would be, but presuming the trap was added prior to awakening, it should work.

Mind you, I don't know exactly *why* we'd want to create a being endlessly frozen in time, but it seems like it might lead somewhere interesting.

sentaku
2009-10-28, 02:20 PM
Hmm, target:Personal...we need to somehow make the trap a legitimate target for itself. Awakened object perhaps? Im not quite sure how legitimate a trap as part of a being would be, but presuming the trap was added prior to awakening, it should work.

Mind you, I don't know exactly *why* we'd want to create a being endlessly frozen in time, but it seems like it might lead somewhere interesting.

No, the awakened object would be endlessly going faster then everything else. (can you cast time stop, while time stopped?).

Johel
2009-10-28, 02:37 PM
No, the awakened object would be endlessly going faster then everything else. (can you cast time stop, while time stopped?).

If we could, that would mean an endless loop.
Let's say we have 2 rounds for each use of time stop.
And that the user got a item that allow him to cast time stop as a standard action.
This mean that the first "free" rounds of each "time stop" is wasted to cast "time stop" again, increasing your speed (and therefor, slowing down apparent time) by two. The second "free" rounds of each "time stop" pill up until you stop casting "time stop".

So, if you got a Staff of Time Stop (50 charges), that would allow you to deliver at least 50 free standard actions and 50 move actions in 1 real round... So, yeah. :smalleek:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 03:01 PM

I don't see any particular reason why not. You can't affect others, but the spell is personal, and you can certainly cast personal range spells while in a time stop.

The staff of time stop is too expensive to be a one use item, hence the desire to make it repeating...at least, repeating as necessary.

Presuming the awakened object can activate/deactivate the trigger, it could be pretty useful.

Johel
2009-10-28, 03:20 PM
The staff of time stop is too expensive to be a one use item, hence the desire to make it repeating...at least, repeating as necessary.

9 × 17 × 750 gp = 114.750 gp
9 × 17 × 375 gp = 57.375 gp 2.295 XP
If you use it to kill a CR 18 Dragon (triple treasure, wussa !!), you make enough gold to buy three of them.
If you build it yourself, the dragon's standard treasure is enough to build 6 Staffs. Also, by doing the kill alone, you get back enough XP to build three Staffs.

Let's say you spend 2 months to craft a Staff of Time Stop. Then about a month to investigate rumors about new dragons in the region.
You then slay the dragon (über time stop pill up means the dragon won't even have a chance) and take the loot. Even counting the hirelings to carry the stuff, you should get a huge profit.
Build 3 more Staffs and go hunting your next prey...

Of course, we assume that time stop can be cast inside a time stop, here... which is wrong, in my opinion.

bosssmiley
2009-10-28, 03:28 PM

Hounds of Tindalos, the statues from the Dr Who episode Blink and the ELH Phanes all combine to make you their chronological plaything. Hope you enjoy timestopped prison sex. :smallwink:

(Did you people learn nothing from The Twilight Zone?)

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=Johel;7208485]Let's say you spend 2 months to craft a Staff of Time Stop. Then about a month to investigate rumors about new dragons in the region.
You then slay the dragon (über time stop pill up means the dragon won't even have a chance) and take the loot.QUOTE]

Well, you can't actually nuke the dragon while in a time stop...so anything that can incap you before you can get another time stop up to heal/rebuff is going to doom you.

Unless you intend to severely abuse delayed blast fireballs energy substituted to an appropriate type, of course.

Still, it doesn't seem terribly efficient, and can probably be made much more efficient.

Johel
2009-10-28, 03:39 PM
Hounds of Tindalos, the statues from the Dr Who episode Blink and the ELH Phanes all combine to make you their chronological plaything. Hope you enjoy timestopped prison sex. :smallwink:

(Did you people learn nothing from The Twilight Zone?)

"-Eternity is pretty long, Snow White..."
:smallamused:

@Tyndmyr :
Dimensional Lock (SL 8, CL 17)
Maximized Extended Cloudkill (SL 9, CL 17)
Force Cage (SL 7, CL 17)

Dimensional Lock, 3 times, just to get pass the SR with a nearly 0% chance of failure (most CR 18 dragons have a SR of 24, which means a CL17 spell will ignore the SR 70% of the time)
Cloudkill means no SR and :
4 Constitution damage per round on a failed Fortitude save
2 Constitution damage per round on a successful Fortitude save
During about 340 rounds.
Force Cage is a Windowless Cell, it doesn't let anything goes through. This include toxic gaz.
None of the CR 18 dragons can cast 6th level spells.
No Greater Dispel Magic, Disintegrate or Antimagic Field.
All spells can be cast during Time Stop, since they don't directly target the dragon.

Let's say I waste a few rounds to buff myself, just in case.
Since the shortest of the three spell is 340 rounds long, it doesn't matter.
I only need about 5 rounds.

Fitz
2009-10-28, 03:51 PM
you take a step to the left,
then a jump to the right

fitz

Myou
2009-10-28, 05:05 PM
you take a step to the left,
then a jump to the right

fitz

I need to make that song the actual verbal and somatic components. And require eeryone at the table to dance in time to cast it.

Teron
2009-10-28, 05:38 PM
Really not worth the effort. Unless you are a pain, it's just not worth the wizards time to actually spend all that much effort ruling. Sure, a few Contact Other Planes to make sure that no real threats are coming, some spies placed around, and making sure that the magical infrastructure keeps working is one thing. In total you are talking about maybe an hours worth of time per day for the wizards. Actually running a Big Brother type state and mind raping everything is pretty much a full time job, which doesn't leave time to do the fun things.
Couldn't you just use include mindrape traps in that magical infrastructure? It can't hurt to instill loyalty, a strong work ethic and whatever other traits you think are useful in every subject.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 10:05 PM
Couldn't you just use include mindrape traps in that magical infrastructure? It can't hurt to instill loyalty, a strong work ethic and whatever other traits you think are useful in every subject.

I imagine mindrape is too high a spell, and thus, too expensive of a trap to bother with on every single subject.

But hey, most power structures are a pyramid anyhow. So long as you control everyone with any power at all, who cares about the teaming masses? They'll probably just be happy enough to get endless free food, medical care, etc.

Jayngfet
2009-10-28, 10:11 PM
I imagine mindrape is too high a spell, and thus, too expensive of a trap to bother with on every single subject.

Given the fact that Tippyverse fans can make mindrape city with a DC of OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND and actually GAIN minions that weren't there before, I think traps of mindrape aren't that big a deal.

As I side note I have a long list of forum member names. I've labeled this list "never game with in any way over level three, if that. No, not even then."

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 10:13 PM
I do hope I've managed to get on that list somehow. =)