PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shadow Sun Ninja questions

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-28, 11:15 AM
I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly before I finish my character that's built around this. It's for an ECL 18 campaign, and I'm playing a Goliath Monk2/Swordsage3/SSNinja10/Master of Nine2, planning to buy off the LA and finish with the last 3 levels of Master of Nine, eventually having at least 3 level 9 maneuvers (Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, and Diamond Mind) for fun stuff like Time Stands Still + Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip. :)

Anywho, from the way I've read this, I can use Child of Shadow and Light to alternate between the worthless dazzle and awesome 9th level magical darkness. I buy a Ring of Darkhidden to bypass the most common means of sensing things in darkness. I also have Sandals of the Light Step, for permanent Pass Without Trace to get around Scent. So, then I can use Darkness within Light on the rounds that Child is producing darkness to get a free +4 attack and damage on stuff that now can't see me, not to mention the stuff that can't see me is flat-footed, enabling some of my cool Shadow Hand maneuvers and stuff. Is this as good as I think it is?

Also, if anybody in the party can create undead or summon creatures and/or I use the Balance of Light and Dark ability, I can heal the entire party at will. In combat, even when fighting nothing but undead, we can summon some poor critters to take the negative energy and I can use the positive energy to nuke undead with touch attacks, bypassing DR and SR. Again, is this as cool as I think it is?

Finally, does anybody know of some good ways to deal with the CON damage and danger of killing myself with Balance of Light and Dark? Obviously I can just make sure not to give more negative levels than I have CON, but then anything that reduces my CON score screws me, and I'd like to have some kind of method to repair the damage myself just in case the divine caster isn't around/doesn't have Restoration prepped/whatever. We only have 200k to spend, and there's not much I can spare so preferably something limited use so it's cheaper.

Godskook
2009-10-28, 11:23 AM
Why are you grabbing monk? If it is for Mo9 prerequisites, the Sleeping Tiger variant is the best monk choice, iirc.

As far as the pos/neg energy switch thing, have an undead party member, for yes, infinite healing. If this undead is yourself, you're immune to negative levels, iirc, so you can go to town on that front too.

Iirc, someone made a Meme build based on Shadow Sun, named Blinky the ghost. I'll see if some search-fu will reveal it, if I'm not ninja'd.

------------

Yay, no ninjas:

Blinky the Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6304375&postcount=12)

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-28, 11:41 AM
The Monk levels are Passive Way variant for free Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Evasion from the normal Monk2. Also, 11 effective Monk levels are required for the second extra attack with Flurry, so SSNinja 10 won't get it. I took care of the Mo9 prereqs with flaws.

Hmm, I did look at the Darkstalker feat, but I'm not sure which feat I'd give up for it. My feat list is currently:
Blind-Fight - Flaw
Dodge - Flaw
Improved Initiative - 1st
Combat Expertise - Monk1
Improved Unarmed Strike - Monk1
Improved Trip - Monk2
Adaptive Style - 3rd
Weapon Focus(Unarmed) - Swordsage1
Combat Reflexes - 6th
Superior Unarmed Strike - 9th
Improved Natural Attack - 12th
Snap Kick - 15th

I planned on taking Robilar's Gambit at 18th, since with all my darkness abilities and Cloak of Displacement, Minor I can make them pay for trying to attack me and they won't have a lot of success in trying.

Person_Man
2009-10-28, 12:02 PM
The Monk levels are Passive Way variant for free Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Evasion from the normal Monk2. Also, 11 effective Monk levels are required for the second extra attack with Flurry, so SSNinja 10 won't get it. I took care of the Mo9 prereqs with flaws.

Hmm, I did look at the Darkstalker feat, but I'm not sure which feat I'd give up for it. My feat list is currently:
Blind-Fight - Flaw
Dodge - Flaw
Improved Initiative - 1st
Combat Expertise - Monk1
Improved Unarmed Strike - Monk1
Improved Trip - Monk2
Adaptive Style - 3rd
Weapon Focus(Unarmed) - Swordsage1
Combat Reflexes - 6th
Superior Unarmed Strike - 9th
Improved Natural Attack - 12th
Snap Kick - 15th

I planned on taking Robilar's Gambit at 18th, since with all my darkness abilities and Cloak of Displacement, Minor I can make them pay for trying to attack me and they won't have a lot of success in trying.

It looks like you have a ton of weak feats. In particular, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Combat Expertise (arguably worth it for Improved Trip - though you should also take Knock-Down), Adaptive Style, Weapon Focus, and Superior Unarmed Strike (which arguably doesn't stack with a Monk's Belt).

You might want to look at this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352), this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777), this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7044115), and this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4666858&postcount=5) for alternatives.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-28, 12:27 PM
Weapon Focus is free from Swordsage. Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Adaptive Style are required for Master of Nine. I've already cleared SUS and Monk's Belt stacking with the DM. I'll look into Knock-Down. I suppose I could replace Dodge with Desert Wind Dodge or Expeditious Dodge. I'll look into that too.

Hmm, from what I'm seeing, I really need to focus on the darkness and seeing through it and all of that if I want it to be more than a nifty trick. I'm not sure how focused I want to be on it though, as I really like the build even if just for unarmed damage, tripping, and maneuvers, and I'm almost completely done so it'd be a pain to change things around now. :smallannoyed:

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-28, 12:41 PM
With regards to the whole Negative Energy thing, here's a fun trick: Buy a frog and have someone zombify it. Gain control over it via party Necromancer or Cleric. Tell it to hold onto your neck slot item. Every time you need to heal someone, punch the frog (you can attack into your own space freely, and even get a bonus against the frog because it is grappling your necklace, works best with an animated necklace).

Tatsel_Ganav
2009-10-28, 12:48 PM
There's an item, rather cheap one, in the Magic Item Compendium that restores Con damage. Also, get a... Bone Ring, I think it is, wards off negative levels. Just, keep it in your pocket in case you need it.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-28, 01:24 PM
Hmm, I see the Talisman of Undying Fortitude that wouldn't take up a slot and make me immune to the Con damage from giving out negative levels with Balance of Light and Dark. That is very nifty.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-28, 04:19 PM
Hmm, so I dropped Superior Unarmed Strike for Knock-Down since that's a really cool feat, and can be used on AoOs and all that. Also I have the Talisman of Undying Fortitude to protect me from Con damage and becoming a vampire. I think I'm going to stick with the build I have and not worry about completely focusing on the darkness and all of that. Thanks for suggestions and stuff.