PDA

View Full Version : Costumes you can piece together out of ordinary clothing?

Coidzor
2009-10-28, 11:48 AM
I've been grounded by flu-like symptoms, but my high enough to take note of but not high enough to go get treatment unless it got higher fever just broke so I might be able to participate in festivities this weekend.

The odds of my being able to go shopping before then though, keep falling.

So any suggestions about last minute costuming ideas for the lazy and such would be helpful.

Jack Squat
2009-10-28, 11:51 AM
Depends on what clothing you have. One option that's mostly there would be to dress up as the late Billy Mays - khaki pants, blue button up shirt, fake beard (felt, storebought, or sharpie) and a bottle of Oxiclean.

BatRobin
2009-10-28, 01:58 PM
My friend is going as Rorschach (or whatever his name is from Watchmen), homemade costume. I'm gonna ask what he made it out of tomorrow.

Joran
2009-10-28, 02:03 PM
Greatest quick/mundane costume.

Bathrobe, slippers, towel = Arthur Dent from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

If you can grab two other people, you can go as the Bag Brothers Three:

Plastic, Paper, and Sleeping

http://machall.com/view.php?date=2001-10-30

tribble
2009-10-28, 02:07 PM
Burlap sack makes a nice Oogie-Boogie, if you like Burton.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-28, 02:14 PM
You can dress as Russian mafia. Wear a leather jacket together with cheap sports pants (you know, the fake Adidas/Puma/whatever ones), a black t-shirt and a giant 1 cm in diameter fake gold chain. Nitpick - not a rapper one though - no "Ballerz" written in big letters, either no letters at all or a cross. Oh, and shave your head really close (like English football fans).

Mystic Muse
2009-10-28, 02:49 PM
if you have a suit and sunglasses you can go as an agent from the Matrix

Syka
2009-10-28, 02:53 PM
I'm going as a goth. I may end up making it based on the twilight posers from that recent south park episode. I didn't have to buy anything.

Basically mocking any stereotype works.

Coidzor
2009-10-28, 02:54 PM
Burlap sack makes a nice Oogie-Boogie, if you like Burton.

Where does one even get burlap sacks anyway?

<_< >_>

Also, I am reminded of my desire to make a sackboy costume...

randman22222
2009-10-28, 02:59 PM
I'm going as David Bowie as the Thin White Duke.

http://www.davidbowietribute.com/tw3.jpg

It's quite easy, you just need a black vest and lots of makeup and hair wax.

Coidzor
2009-10-28, 03:01 PM
You mean David Bowie as the MasterSovereign of the League of Calamitous Intent, right? :smallbiggrin:

Seonor
2009-10-28, 03:02 PM
All white/black/red/... can work if you have some accessories (gloves, hat, shoes).

randman22222
2009-10-28, 03:03 PM
You mean David Bowie as the Master of the League of Calamitous Intent, right?

What ?

snoopy13a
2009-10-28, 05:29 PM
I'm seriously considering making a toga out of a bedsheet and going as a Roman :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2009-10-28, 06:05 PM
^: Mmm, I need a white sheet, some safety pins and a red sheet, and I think I could rock that. Have the white sheet. :smallbiggrin:
What ?
Venture Bros. (http://venturefans.org/vbwiki/Sovereign):smallbiggrin:

Lorn
2009-10-28, 06:10 PM
Pirate.

Black jacket (arms rolled up/hacked off), white shirt (top three buttons unbuttoned, if possible laced with string or leather cord), black trousers/jeans, black high-ish boots, coloured scarf with belt over it around waist (over jacket) and some form of bandanna.

Add jewellry, wigs, tricorn hat, cutlasses etc as desired.

Seriously, I spent £3.50 on a metre of red cloth for a pirate costume, and that was it. That set me for the bandanna and belt-thingy. May be improving the latter tomorrow, and replacing the bandanna after I lost it on a night out...

Rowsen
2009-10-28, 06:19 PM
I can make 80% of a scarecrow outfit with my clothes. Which says a lot about my fashion sense.

Alteran
2009-10-28, 06:25 PM
I'm going as dissociative identity disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder), which involves covering myself with a bunch of "Hello, my name is..." stickers. I may also have some pairs of fake glasses, and hats, or whatever. Depends on what other things I find lying around. Feel free to steal my idea if you want. It requires very little preparation, and the only thing you may have to buy is the stickers. Those will be easy to find, and very cheap.

The stickers will include, of course, "...Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die."

Weimann
2009-10-28, 06:31 PM
Blue jacket, matching pants a red tie and three tubes of styling gel. Bam, you're Phoenix Wright.

Faulty
2009-10-28, 06:44 PM
Have a v-neck? Go as a hipster.

Coidzor
2009-10-28, 07:24 PM
^: what do you mean by a V-neck? I'm only familliar with the style of t-shirt myself. Is it like one of those really wide-necked dressy button-up shirts?

So I just took an inventory of what I've got of my own on hand...

Currently what I know I have are a short-sleeved light blue button-down shirt, track/exercise pants, a variety of t-shirts (mostly plain-white or black w/ a design of some sort on it, though I do have one moss green shirt from boyscouts), some khakis, a couple of white sheets, blue jeans, bandanas in both blue camo and hunter's orange, plain blue swim trunks and a pair that's more haiwaiian...

A german army shirt (with flag insignia patches on the shoulders), my german polizei longcoat (from one of the saxonies, I wear it every day to school, patch is starting to get slightly ragged but not too noticeably so, just need to touch up one of the sides where it's starting to come away and fix up an internal pocket), a black felt touring cap, some green/brown nylon pants...

A dark blue-based haiwaiian shirt, a long-sleeved button plaid shirt, two plaid dressshirts, one red and blue and the other green and blue, a plain black t-shirt with HAZMAT printed in white block lettering on both sides, a similar plain black t-shirt with "Schrodinger's Cat is Dead" and "Schrodinger's Cat is Alive" on opposite sides (front and back), a pair of black shorts, a pair of white nylon pants...

a blue jogging suit...

and that's all I can find. I haven't really replenished my supplies of interesting clothing since I moved out here a couple of weeks ago.

In addition to all of this, I've had the offer of a friend's gui if we manage to get a sufficient thing of red fabric and it looks better than just going with a toga and the red sash thing...

I could also probably borrow a sweatshirt and there might be a pair of overalls somewhere around the place.

...And I just opened up a closet and found clothing which hasn't been worn in a while by anyone, probably not even the previous owner of the house.

And found a pair of green cover-alls such as a grease-monkey would wear.

Edit: Just found a reddish brown leather jacket from some outfit called "The Gay Blade" with a cheesy figure in red string on their emblem with a bent rapier over his head in silver thread and a WWI doughboy's coat in said closet along with a sheep skin(and fur) coat made from some of the family's sheep long, long ago.

Raistlin1040
2009-10-28, 07:46 PM
I'm going as David Bowie as the Thin White Duke.

http://www.davidbowietribute.com/tw3.jpg

It's quite easy, you just need a black vest and lots of makeup and hair wax.

I like you. *Is going as Ziggy Stardust*

If you have anything that's dark and looks vaguely old-fashioned, a bit of white foundation or facepaint and canine tooth caps will make you a decent Victorian vampire.

blackfox
2009-10-28, 08:33 PM
I've been going as the IRS for the past few years... get a suit or something resembling a suit, a fahncy looking briefcase, and get the briefcase to say 'IRS' on it.

You can collect candy in the briefcase, too. :smalltongue:

thubby
2009-10-28, 09:28 PM
if you have some old cloths you're wiling to destroy you can do a zombie with that and a little fake blood (which you can make at home easily)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-28, 09:33 PM
1. Take 1 bedsheet
2. Cut out 3 holes
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

chiasaur11
2009-10-28, 09:37 PM
Go as a pod person.

It's like a regular person, but with more pointing and screeching.

Kara Kuro
2009-10-28, 09:47 PM
Wear black, wrap a black t-shirt around your head. Improv'ed ninja.

Otherwise, a favorite of mine was to wear darkish clothes (or just clothes of as much of a matching colour as possible) and take duct tape to make yourself a stick-person outline over your clothes.

Assassin89
2009-10-28, 09:54 PM
You could be the G-Man from Half-Life if you wear a blue suit, matching pants, a red tie and carry a briefcase, or the Spy if you replace the briefcase with a cardboard mask.

Find a blue jumpsuit, and you are a citizen of city 17.

Eon
2009-10-28, 10:00 PM
I'm going as dissociative identity disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder), which involves covering myself with a bunch of "Hello, my name is..." stickers. I may also have some pairs of fake glasses, and hats, or whatever. Depends on what other things I find lying around. Feel free to steal my idea if you want. It requires very little preparation, and the only thing you may have to buy is the stickers. Those will be easy to find, and very cheap.

The stickers will include, of course, "...Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die."

Aww i might have to do that sometime, though i can't do it for a few years... but scaring people is fun...

And the Inigo, you better have a few of those :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2009-10-28, 10:07 PM
Alternately for name tags, there was that hallowe'en episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Oz just had one that said "HI My Name Is" with "God" written on in sharpie.

TheCountAlucard
2009-10-28, 10:12 PM
I just got back from a costume party, in which I went as a ninja. For the mask, you just need a black T-shirt. As for props, I made a bunch of paper ninja stars.

Walrus
2009-10-28, 10:13 PM
My costume was pretty much entirely based off of not having to go get new clothing. I'm going to wear a dishevelled suit, use make-up to create a bloody, cocaine-caked nose effect, and be a 1980s executive.

Felixaar
2009-10-29, 01:00 AM
Pour ketchup - or red icing, if you've got icing sugar - all over your self, grab a big kitchen knife and coat it also. Instant serial killer.

This year I'm going to be Agent FJ. I've got an army jacket, some other non descript clothes, action-hero sunglasses and a truckload of toy guns.

Elves-as-People
2009-10-30, 12:44 AM
Here's an easy classic:

MacGyver: Bomber jacket, plaid shirt, pants, sneakers, ducktape, wig if you don't already have shaggy hair.

Coidzor
2009-10-30, 01:14 AM
So, this is what I messed around with yesterday/today.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Coidzor/halloween%2009/

Not sure if I agreed to have a date with this girl I got the number off of or not though. @_@

Thes Hunter
2009-10-30, 07:09 AM
I am going to a Firefly themed party, and since I have no money to put together a Zoe costume, I am going as a companion. A classy dress from my closet is all I need.

Jack Squat
2009-10-30, 08:18 AM
Here's an easy classic:

MacGyver: Bomber jacket, plaid shirt, pants, sneakers, ducktape, wig if you don't already have shaggy hair.

Heh, I did that one year. No one noticed anything different :smalltongue:

Go splurge at a surplus store, and you can go as Burt Gummer. I could actually throw this one together out of my closet.

Cowboy hat, V-neck T-shirt, Jeans, Cowboy Boots, and a baseball bat, and you can be Tallahassee.

Just buy some fake blood and a scar kit and you can go as a random zombie.

Also, you could always go as Pantsman (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=113)

BisectedBrioche
2009-10-30, 01:30 PM
I'm going as my own distaff counterpart (I'm hoping to break at least one person's mind).

My "normal" clothing (http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8770/dscn0021m.jpg)
My costume (http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8963/dscn0020m.jpg)

Crimmy
2009-10-30, 01:37 PM
I'm going as a classic:
A scarecrow.
All you need is an old tshirt, some fabric retails, work boots, some fat string, and fake straw. Fake straw can be made with many things.

Kaelaroth
2009-10-30, 03:35 PM
Alternately for name tags, there was that hallowe'en episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Oz just had one that said "HI My Name Is" with "God" written on in sharpie.

I am so happy someone mentioned this.
*hugs*

I am going to a Firefly themed party, and since I have no money to put together a Zoe costume, I am going as a companion. A classy dress from my closet is all I need.

That's cool - though perhaps a little ambiguous?

BisectedBrioche
2009-10-30, 05:18 PM
My avatar's costumes also count. The joke on this one makes it my favorite (out of my own that is).

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5260/halloween5.gif

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-30, 05:22 PM
Costume the 5th. The joke on this one makes it my favorite (out of my own that is).

I love this one myself :smallwink:

BisectedBrioche
2009-10-30, 05:36 PM
I love this one myself :smallwink:

Whoops, I meant to put that in the Halloween week thread. Oh well. *retro edits*