PDA

View Full Version : Help pLease!

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 01:43 PM
how does a level 1 duskblade go about killing a level 3 ranger? please only core rulebooks

the idea is that this weekend i am to challenge him in a 1 v 1 duel and win to finish the story anyway that without dm help it is possible and if so how?

BRC
2009-10-28, 01:46 PM
Duskblade is in a non-core book, therefore we can't use only core books.

Also, more information needed. What type of ranger? What is the scenario, how far apart do they start, what is set in stone about the duskblade, what can we change?

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 01:48 PM
ok sorry about that, well it will be within 10ft of each other....its a dwarf duskblade you can change feat or anything weapons your choice. PHB2 is a core book i believe. and the books alloted are phb 1-2, dungeon masters guide, complete arcane/adventurer/warrior. have fun and let me win.

Croverus
2009-10-28, 01:52 PM
Ok, only DM1, MM1, and PH1 are considered core, just for future reference. The PH2 and Complete books are not considered core.

Now gives us a bit more cause you've given us basically no information other than you are a Level 1 dwarf duskblade. What's your current stats? What is your enemy, other than a Level 3 ranger? Details!

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 01:54 PM
thanks for the pointer now here you go.

Right now im at

Str: 18
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 16
Wis: 16
Cha: 12

Feats:
Power Attack

Weapon:
Dwarven Waraxe

The ranger:

I have no clue about his stats
But i do know that he is goint archer and plans on shooting the hell outta me with arrows.

I believe he uses a composite longbow.

Human

Not too intelligent in r/l

BRC
2009-10-28, 02:00 PM
ok sorry about that, well it will be within 10ft of each other....its a dwarf duskblade you can change feat or anything weapons your choice. PHB2 is a core book i believe. and the books alloted are phb 1-2, dungeon masters guide, complete arcane/adventurer/warrior. have fun and let me win.
For the record, Core is usually defined as PHB, DMG, and MMI.
What do we know about this Ranger. Is he a TWF or Ranged?
If the former, go for a high AC to prevent his attacks hitting. Because you'll be slugging at each other in Melee, you should be able to use Shocking Grasp to good effect.

If he's Ranged, you'll need to keep in his face so you can AoO him when he tries to shoot at you. As a dwarf you'll probably be slower than him. I would say use a reach weapon, the important thing will be to stop him shooting arrows at you, or at least making him provoke an AoO every time he tries.

I forget the Duskblade spell list, but if you've got anything that could help you trip him or make him unable to move, use it. If possible, back him into a corner. Also, you get a bonus to resist being Tripped, and you've got a better str score, so don't be afraid to get into a trip-off with him. And if he's using a ranged weapon, he can't make AoO's on you.

Also, if he's human, see if you can extinguish the light sources on the room. You have Darkvision, he dosn't.

Croverus
2009-10-28, 02:00 PM
Ok, drop power attacka nd pick up Improved initiative. That way you can win it and close that 10ft gap right away and slam on him. Keep the hammer, its a good weapon. Really just make sure you get some decent armor like studded leather and a heavy shield and he'll have a hard time getting past your AC.

With Str and Con 18 you should be able to hit him a good deal and cause some nice damage while your own HP should be pretty intact.

Where are you two gonan be fighting?

crazedloon
2009-10-28, 02:01 PM
well if he is going archer just
be human
get improved unarmed strike
deflect arrow

This will force him to rapidshot which requires a full round attack and means he has to stand still. Move next to him and beat him to death with a better weapon I would suggest a greatsword

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 02:02 PM
good idea, ill do the darkroom idea...gonna try to keep it in a close quarters.

Maybe use a thrown weapon to keep him off balance causing to miss hopefully..also use the room to my advantage..just gotta find the right spot...might try and a sunder weapon. without the sunder feat..but knowing the archer type...will take the force away from him...making him do 1d4 against me with fist..and missing alot...ill chill touch him to reduce str.

The place of fighting is my choice...so not sure..but not the woods...probably an inclosed room or in the desert or something...a place where i can slow his mobility.

any suggestions on battle field?

Croverus
2009-10-28, 02:04 PM
well if he is going archer just
be human
get improved unarmed strike
deflect arrow

This will force him to rapidshot which requires a full round attack and means he has to stand still. Move next to him and beat him to death with a better weapon I would suggest a greatsword

He already stated he's a dwarf.
Deflect arrow requires a free hand.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 02:05 PM
updated my previous post sorry.

BRC
2009-10-28, 02:05 PM
good idea, ill do the darkroom idea...gonna try to keep it in a close quarters.

Maybe use a thrown weapon to keep him off balance causing to miss hopefully..also use the room to my advantage..just gotta find the right spot...might try and a sunder weapon. without the sunder feat..but knowing the archer type...will take the force away from him...making him do 1d4 against me with fist..and missing alot...ill chill touch him to reduce str.
If he's using a Composite Bow, Chill Touch will force him to take penalties on his attack rolls, as he no longer has enough strength to properly use the bow.

If you get to pick the place, a small, dark enclosed room. The Smaller and Darker the better.

Alternitivly, somplace with high winds. His Arrows will get blown off course, you should be fine.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 02:07 PM
ok, i know he will try and use the pet but nothing a ray of enfeeblement cant fix right?

BRC
2009-10-28, 02:08 PM
ok, i know he will try and use the pet but nothing a ray of enfeeblement cant fix right?

Rangers don't get an animal companion until 4th level. If he's 3rd level he dosn't get one.

Croverus
2009-10-28, 02:10 PM
Choose either a windy cliff face where you can use your Str advantage to Bull rush him off the edge nad be done with him.

Or use a small room lit with torches and then put them out, causing him to fight blind. Then axe him to pieces.

sonofzeal
2009-10-28, 02:12 PM
You're at a big disadvantage, so your best odds are to try and take him out in the first round. He should have around 22 hp. Unfortunately, Power Attack only gives you +2 max at this level, and none of your spells will make up much of the difference. A Human would have options (extra feats), and a Fighter would have options (extra feats), and someone with more money could buy a good stroll.

You can probably get yourself an edge on Trip or Grapple, possibly enough to win if he didn't prepare for it. Trip especially might work well for you, but you need two feats minimum for that. Can you use Flaws?

BRC
2009-10-28, 02:12 PM
Choose either a windy cliff face where you can use your Str advantage to Bull rush him off the edge nad be done with him.

Or use a small room lit with torches and then put them out, causing him to fight blind. Then axe him to pieces.
If he can pick the spot, why have torches there.

I say a dark room with lots of really really deep pits and precarious walkways. You can see where the pits are, he can't. Or just a small dark room where he can't move or see but you can chop him to bits.
Edit: The room should have a ceiling no higher than 5 ft.

Croverus
2009-10-28, 02:15 PM
You're at a big disadvantage, so your best odds are to try and take him out in the first round. He should have around 22 hp. Unfortunately, Power Attack only gives you +2 max at this level, and none of your spells will make up much of the difference. A Human would have options (extra feats), and a Fighter would have options (extra feats), and someone with more money could buy a good stroll.

You can probably get yourself an edge on Trip or Grapple, possibly enough to win if he didn't prepare for it. Trip especially might work well for you, but you need two feats minimum for that. Can you use Flaws?

Anyone can trip, Improved Trip just ignores the penalties for tripping.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 02:16 PM
Do you have any money and/or access to a caster?

A protection from arrows cast pre-battle, since you're choosing the location, would all but assure victory.

BRC
2009-10-28, 02:17 PM
The main such penalty is an AoO, which if his opponent is using a ranged weapon, isn't an issue anyway.

Croverus
2009-10-28, 02:19 PM
Do you have any money and/or access to a caster?

A protection from arrows cast pre-battle, since you're choosing the location, would all but assure victory.

Combine this with a windy area and he's screwed.

And a dark area with unseen pits is also good.

Both methods work well. Especially because you get bonuses to resist bullrushing so if you don't successfully knock him off a cliff or into a pit he can't do the same to you.

sonofzeal
2009-10-28, 02:25 PM
Without it, you can only count on having a 1-3 point advantage, and for this approach you can be in deep trouble if he gets up, especially since he moves faster than you.

Do NOT let the fight happen in a wide open space. You've almost guaranteed lost if he gets more than 40-80 feet away.

Medic
2009-10-28, 02:27 PM
Str: 18
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Feats:
Improved Initative

Weapon:
Longspear (for reach)

Spells known:
Color Spray (DC: 14 will save) - Rangers will = 1 + WisMod (I like your chances)
Add something

You're +8 on initiative, if you win move within reach of him (10ft) and cast color spray on him. If you lose, he can kill you in a single round with a single arrow and max damage (most likely) however with a long spear he provokes using a bow so you can sunder his bow or stab him.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-28, 02:49 PM
Potion of Protection from arrows? cost 300 gp so tou can't afford.

Scroll cost 150 so you can afford it (but all your money). Do you have Use Magic Device trained?
I know it will be tricky, but if you pull it off very rewarding.

He is unlikely to have magic bow or magic arrows so you have great DR vs him.

Third option: Improved Init and get in his face and don't let him get faw enough to shoot you.

fourth option: Take Improved Init so you go faster. Take a Tower Shield (does'nt matter is not proficient), use it for total cover (can't be attacked), walk to his face.
Next round, assuming he doesn't flee like coward,
-a. Move action drop shield, standard action attack him.
b. Move action, drop shield, sunder his bow. Bows have low hp and Hardness: you'll easily snacp it like a twig.

If he ran like a coward just keep moving toward him with shield: he can't hurt you at all while you not attacking him.
Eventually, he might run out of arrows: then drop the shield and 2 handed Axe him to death.

Now if he stands his ground: he take attack od opportunity to attack you or from moving away.

Paulus
2009-10-28, 03:27 PM
A tower shield would be really hand about now. Just wait until he runs out of arrows. eheheheheheh.

Possible? Dunno. Funny to think about? yes.

Stay behind your shield until night falls, or he runs out of his arrows. Use darkvision to keeeel him, or charge and double hand wield a two handed weapon. With all those 18's you should be good.

EDIT: Gah ninja'ed!

jiriku
2009-10-28, 04:08 PM
Yah.

I mean, like, yah.

Small, dark room. Infravision. Big shield and sundering axe. Color spray. Improved Initiative.

When archers have nightmares, this is it.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 04:09 PM
I like your ideas, as i said before he isnt too smart he is going to go for a quick shot to kill me...thats his idea. I wanna stick with my weapons...im stuck at about 400 gold without armor. i was thinking the idea to take him to a area with a single torch blow it out and cut his bow string...since blowing should be a free action.

Croverus
2009-10-28, 04:29 PM
...since blowing should be a free action.

I'll need to keep this in mind for a future game. :smallamused:

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 04:32 PM
lol sounds good, lets hope my dm goes for it...he just called and told me i need to prepare to beat him...he had an idea we should do it on a mountain peak (well a ledge inside of a temple)

BRC
2009-10-28, 05:25 PM
lol sounds good, lets hope my dm goes for it...he just called and told me i need to prepare to beat him...he had an idea we should do it on a mountain peak (well a ledge inside of a temple)
Your DM gave you the choice of battlefield. Use it well.
Remember, the things you want are (in order of priority)
1) Dark
2) Confined
3) Windy.
Try to get as much of these things as you can.
If the ledge is small and inside a dark temple, it's good.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 05:34 PM
ok, and then go in for face bashing right?

Wereling
2009-10-28, 05:44 PM
Just remember to fight dirty. Since you've only got a 20 foot move, you might also wish to invest in a Tanglefoot bag (if you can manage the 50gp price tag) as a means of keeping him from opening the range. Even on a successful DC15 ref save he'll move at half speed until he stops to deal with it.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 05:48 PM
Good Idea i have 51 gp left over..any other suggestions? maybe something to break the bow faster? mind you this is his last game and he will be leaving after this..i just have to win...maybe loosen his bowstring before the fight? throw dirt? drop him into a snake pit? a spike pit?

Pyron
2009-10-28, 06:04 PM
Good Idea i have 51 gp left over..any other suggestions? maybe something to break the bow faster?

Instead of sundering the bow, I'd sunder the quiver. Chances are it has less HP, less hardness - an axe will go right through. True Strike can help if you ensure a hit. Although breaking the bow is still a viable tactic.

I'd also invest in some means to increase speed. Either a potion/scroll of Expeditious Retreat or through spell.

Shadwen
2009-10-28, 06:16 PM
So the faster the better, and to insure a clean victory...break the weapon/ammo and make him blind?