PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew PrC to give Favored Soul turning - Is this reasonable?

msully4321
2009-10-28, 02:23 PM
I have a player in my campaign (about to hit level 9) playing a Favored Soul. He'd like to get turning so he can power Travel Devotion (which fits well for a Favored Soul of Fharlangan), and is considering a one level dip into cleric to do so.

But that loses a caster level and is also kind of silly. So I'm considering homebrewing a one level PrC to give turning.

Is this reasonable?
Prereqs: Able to cast 4th level divine spells spontaneously
Features: Turn or rebuke undead, +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
Hit die: d4
Skills: 2+int, same list as Favored Soul

Basically, the idea is that it grants turning and still ups spell level, with the downside of having ****ty everything else. However, it still might be too good.
Maybe I should say d2 hit die and 0+int skill points?

Mongoose87
2009-10-28, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't call that anywhere near too good. Give it the full d8.

ErrantX
2009-10-28, 02:41 PM
Why not encourage the player to take a level or 10 in Sacred Exorcist? It's a good class that grants Turn Undead and has full casting progression.

-X

Dragonmuncher
2009-10-28, 02:54 PM
Sounds more like you should just homebrew an Alternate Class Feature. I don't have the class in front of me, so I can't advise anything specific, but is there some minor-to moderate class geature FS gets that you can swap out for next level?

I mean, it's just turning undead. Not a big deal.

Or you could just give it to him in roleplaying. Have him complete a short quest for a church of his god. The god smiles upon him, blah blah etc, he can use Turn Undead.

Myrmex
2009-10-28, 02:57 PM
The only risk of giving the Favored Soul Turning is it removes a hoop or two for it using Divine Metamagic.

Godskook
2009-10-28, 03:01 PM
Why not encourage the player to take a level or 10 in Sacred Exorcist? It's a good class that grants Turn Undead and has full casting progression.

-X

This, this, this! Why homebrew when Wotc provides already?

ErrantX
2009-10-28, 03:43 PM
I dunno... maybe because of Alignment Restrictions?

Fharlangan is a True Neutral deity, and Sacred Exorcist must be any good. A neutral good favored soul could do it. Favored Souls are allowed to be within one step of their deity and not lose their powers.

-X

Godskook
2009-10-28, 03:49 PM
I dunno... maybe because of Alignment Restrictions?

1.The OP never specifies a non-good alignment, the deity in question is TN, and Sacred Exorcist is any good. The suggestion qualifies on all points, far as I know.

2.It is far easier to ignore a silly alignment pre-req than it is to homebrew, both in effort and balance.

-----------

Ninja!

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-28, 04:04 PM
Fharlangan is a True Neutral deity, and Sacred Exorcist must be any good. A neutral good favored soul could do it. Favored Souls are allowed to be within one step of their deity and not lose their powers.

-X

I thought the Favored Soul was required to be identical in alignment?

ErrantX
2009-10-28, 04:06 PM

It's not often that I can claim a one up on you, Sinfire. As you're encyclopedic in your knowledge of the game, I triple checked to verify and yeah, Favored Souls can be within one alignment step of their deity. :smallsmile:

-X

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-28, 04:17 PM
It's not often that I can claim a one up on you, Sinfire. As you're encyclopedic in your knowledge of the game, I triple checked to verify and yeah, Favored Souls can be within one alignment step of their deity. :smallsmile:

-X

Then I am thinking of the Divine Crusader, which is irrelevant to this topic. I retract my previous post.

Kylarra
2009-10-28, 05:23 PM
Alternatively... epic quest with turn undead as a class feature rewards! :smallcool:

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 06:15 PM
It's always better to know than to just think. :smallwink:
A favored soul is often of the same alignment as her deity, though some are one step away. ... A favored soul may not be neutral unless her deity is neutral.

Dragonmuncher
2009-10-28, 06:44 PM
Alternatively... epic quest with turn undead as a class feature rewards! :smallcool:

I vote this. Or at least a moderate quest.

Gnaeus
2009-10-28, 06:53 PM
I mean, it's just turning undead. Not a big deal.

Or you could just give it to him in roleplaying. Have him complete a short quest for a church of his god. The god smiles upon him, blah blah etc, he can use Turn Undead.

I'd do this. Cleric is still better than FS even if FS gets turn. Let him have it and then beat him around the head if the words Divine Metamagic Persist come out of his lips.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-28, 07:32 PM
Sacred Exorcist is a tough PrC for a Favored Soul to qualify for; normally it wouldn't be available until level 18 because of the cross-class skill requirements.

I suggest creating a straightforward Alternative Class Feature: swap out the class's Energy Resistance (all types) for the ability to turn undead as a Cleric. This would become available at 5th level.

ErrantX
2009-10-28, 10:57 PM
There are options and dips still for favored soul to get into Sacred Exorcist. For example, there is a feat in the Eberron Campaign setting called Education (I'm sure it's in other books as well) that grants all Knowledge skills as class. Heck, there's Able Learner too if you're human or doppelganger blooded. It's not impossible; it really just requires you to look around a little to make a character work the way you want it to. There's also Knowledge Devotion which is just plain hot.

Also, for the record, in my games the idea of Favored Soul having Knowledge (arcana) but not Knowledge (religion) is silly, you'd think they'd know something about the power they have, after all, sorcerers get Knowledge (arcana) for that reasoning. I always house rule Favored Soul to get religion over arcana, I think it was design oversight, like someone copied and pasted sorcerer's skills down or something.

-X

Theo Hammond
2009-10-29, 06:36 AM
This came up in mine so i just allowed the Favoured Soul to buy the Extra Turning feat, which gave them the four (?) turning attempts and we ruled that level-wise it worked as if they were a Paladin. So it was handy but not as good as a 'proper' cleric.

Of course that was largely irrelevant as the main purpose was to then start taking the Divine Metamagic feats.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-29, 08:13 AM
Sacred Exorcist is a tough PrC for a Favored Soul to qualify for; normally it wouldn't be available until level 18 because of the cross-class skill requirements.

There is an ACF that allows Favored Souls K. Religion instead of K. Arcana.