PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Creative Rewards for PC's

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-28, 04:49 PM
So one thing I'm doing in my current campaign is when the PC's defeat one of the BBEG's generals or reach a similar landmark in the story, I give them more than just regular treasure. I give them a major advantage that should stay good for the rest of the game.

For example, so far...

After the PC's beat up a necromancer, they convinced his former colleague, now a brain in a jar, to help them on their quest lest they just break the jar and kill the brain. (That and the necromancer was being mind-controlled by the BBEG and the brain's more than willing to help take down the BBEG.) The brain can take control of any one being, undead or alive, for a short time and control their actions and can telepathically communicate between PC's.

Next, the PC's will recruit two eladrin sister researchers who can identify items easily and perform any ritual needed as long as the materials are provided.

Later, an airship captain will take the PC's wherever they need to go on the main continent.

I have three more similar "rewards" to give PC's, and I have time to think on this, but I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment.

The three remaining lieutenants are as follows:

A dwarf outcast rogue with psionic abilities and an extreme knack for riddles and puzzles. Will probably survive and be recruited to the PC's

A halfling sea captain who is not only the leader of literally the only international traders (the halfling) but is bada** who's been around the world and fought nearly every monster imaginable, even if he's a little crazy. Also will side with the PC's

Finally, a tiefling warlock who's exploiting other warlocks of all types to gain their power and transform them into mindless soldiers. This guy will definitely be killed by the PC's.

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-28, 08:54 PM
Also, if anyone just has had rewards given to them/their players, stuff that doesn't encompass the standard gold + level-appopriate magic items, please share.

Raum
2009-10-28, 09:35 PM
Also, if anyone just has had rewards given to them/their players, stuff that doesn't encompass the standard gold + level-appopriate magic items, please share.Can't really help with the specifics from your NPC list but there are a couple general ideas for immaterial rewards: Titles - Sir, Lord, Baron, etc.
Contacts - "Guildmaster Moren is grateful. He says you are to call on him anytime you are in town."
Fame - "You're the Giantkiller of Pike's Peak?! Wow!"
Discounts - depending on situation and location, discounts and / or free drinks / lodging may be provided, sometimes with one of the above and sometimes separately.
Information - "I really shouldn't mention this but you been so helpful..."

Hal
2009-10-28, 09:38 PM
Well, there's always land/titles. More of an RP thing, really, unless you have a player who really wants to go through the hassle of entering the real estate market.

Personally, I like to design my own magic items, so my players will often end up with interesting knick-knacks and doo-dads in their loot. Sometimes it's rather mundane stuff that would either have to be put to very creative use to be part of a puzzle solution, or stuff that might be traded to an NPC for whatever reason. (For example, they've found flasks that keep beverages ice cold or turn any liquid into pure water).

Other items I've dreamed up for my players could be construed as over-powered in one way or another, but I have a looser view on such matters. I don't look at it so much in a "players vs. DM balance" way, I look at it in a "fun vs. boring" way. If I feel like something will add enough fun factor to the game, I'll toss it in, balance be damned (as with all things, there's a limit to how far this goes).