PDA

View Full Version : 4E: Demiplane Creation?

Chaelos
2009-10-28, 05:26 PM
So, I've broken down and started participating in my first ever 4E campaign. So far, it's been fun--but I digress.

One of my favorite aspects of 3.5 was the lovely little (and ever-popular) Genesis spell. The new system, however, has me wondering: Is there an equivalent ritual to allow for the creation of a demi-plane in 4E?

FoE
2009-10-28, 05:31 PM
I ... don't think so, but the best person to ask would be someone who owns Manual of the Planes. Try Joseph Silver.

hamishspence
2009-10-28, 05:33 PM
Not exactly.

What there is, is an epic Destiny (Dragon Annual) which has as its end-point, the hero's creation of such a demiplane.

The destiny is called Planeshaper. And at level 30, can warp the area around them, quite impressively.

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-28, 05:33 PM
Yes, it's called Ask Your DM.

It's a level 1 ritual and the components can range from pizza to nothing at all.

It has a high failure rate depending on the DM though.

There's a higher level version for that, Beg Your DM.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-28, 07:40 PM
Is there an equivalent ritual to allow for the creation of a demi-plane in 4E?

No, because it would not be balanced.

Not Five
2009-10-28, 08:36 PM
So, I've broken down and started participating in my first ever 4E campaign. So far, it's been fun--but I digress.

One of my favorite aspects of 3.5 was the lovely little (and ever-popular) Genesis spell. The new system, however, has me wondering: Is there an equivalent ritual to allow for the creation of a demi-plane in 4E?

Sort of. The standard 4e cosmology doesn't really go in for generic demiplanes, you see. There are ways to create extraplanar spaces, like bags of holding and rope tricks and so forth; but generally you don't make really impressive stuff that way. What most entities do is find an appropriate plane, make part of it their dominion, figure out how to teleport in and out, and put up wards so that it's hard to get in. The Domains of Dread are kind of like this; they're called "demiplanes", but they're essentially sealed-off pockets of the Shadowfell rather than tiny planes in their own right.

Most entities who want to make their own domain go to the Astral Sea and the Elemental Chaos, which makes sense because they're essentially the engines of creation.

It takes divine whatsit to make an astral dominion--in PC terms, you have to take the Planeshaper epic destiny, which essentially gives you an mostly-unformed "seed" of an astral dominion, gives you several specific abilities that relate to it, and leaves the rest up to DM choice.
Anyone can reshape the Elemental Chaos, though. The plane has the alterable morphic trait, so you can just will your little demiplane into existence with an Int check. Then all you've got to do is build a Linked Portal there, and ward the place so demons and efreet can't get in.

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-28, 08:51 PM
Yes, it's called Ask Your DM.

It's a level 1 ritual and the components can range from pizza to nothing at all.

It has a high failure rate depending on the DM though.

There's a higher level version for that, Beg Your DM.

This;

If the DM thinks it's a conceivable thing for you to do, it could quite easily be made a story point.

NO, you are not entitled to expect to be able to.

Though, just a note, there is a ritual (Imprisonment) at level 28 which does explicitly create, basically, a prison demiplane for one helpless or willing creature.

Generally, I wouldn't expect to see any such ability even with a nice DM before Paragon, and likely not till the Big-Time, (ie, epic).

Aron Times
2009-10-29, 01:04 PM
I ... don't think so, but the best person to ask would be someone who owns Manual of the Planes. Try Joseph Silver.
Oooh, I got mentioned by name.

Well, the Manual of the Planes doesn't have rules for creating a demiplane, but it does have rules on how to influence an unstable plane. It involves an intelligence check, and you can do virtually anything as long as you meet the DCs.

For example, the DC to alter a gargantuan object (something the size of the Tarrasque) is 40. You can turn a Tarrasque-sized object into anything, like air to gold, lead to water, earth to fire, etc. as long as it's of the same size.

To alter an area, such as turning a lake into a forest, the DC is 20 + 1 for each square altered. You could, for instance, turn a volcano into an elaborate palace, as long as you can meet the DC to do so (you'll probably need to build your palace using multiple checks to lower the DC).

Each check takes one minute. If you fail, you cannot alter the same object or area until you take an extended rest (I think, I'm away from book). Using Perfect Recall cheese, you can create your own personal paradise out of nothing starting at level 2.

Mando Knight
2009-10-29, 03:33 PM
Each check takes one minute. If you fail, you cannot alter the same object or area until you take an extended rest (I think, I'm away from book). Using Perfect Recall cheese, you can create your own personal paradise out of nothing starting at level 2.

However, it should be noted that at level 2, you're really vulnerable to anything else that's interested in making a new home, several of which have high Int modifiers.