PDA

View Full Version : "Take a Chill Pill!" - Exotic Explosives

flabort
2009-10-28, 05:49 PM
So, this is a colection of various... "explosives" i thought of. They probably aren't very ballanced, and the prices are MOST LIKELY wrong, if there at all. However, feel free to PEACH, and to add some of your own...

"Chill Pill"
The Chill Pill is an exotic liquid explosive, from far deserts were it is most easily manufactured, packaged most comonly in pill-shaped Vials of Warming. When Exposed to a source of cold, such as ray of frost, a single "dose" of Chill pill causes 2d4 cold dammage to all creatures, items, and targets in a 25 foot radius, increasing by 1d4 damage every 5 feet closer to the center. On a roll of 4 or less on a d20, everything inside a 5 foot radius is completely frozen over, encased in ice. this prevents the encased target from taking any actions or moving, and deals 1d4 cold dammage each turn. as well, the ice has a hardness of 5 or a hardness of 1 if dealt fire dammage, and 20 hitpoints. When the ice is destroyed, all it's effects are negated. The explosive is clear, but smells and tastes like apples. Storing or shipping Chill Pills in Vials of Warming can prevent them from exploding when exposed to mild cold, and reuqires something colder. Any damage except for complete freeze may be negated by a DC 18 Fort save. Complete freeze may be negated by a DC 24 Fort save.
Note: To clarify "Source of cold", I mean anything that brings it to or below room temprature, from above room temprature. This may be open to DM's interpretation, however.
Requires Alchemy(DC 28), Ray of Frost, Burning Hands, 4500 Gp, 1000 Xp. 6 hours manufacturing time. may only be made in a hot environment.
Real life mechanics:
3 chemicals, 2 in an equilibrium system. When energy is removed, the 2 chemicals shift proportions, causing the 3rd chemical to react, in a very endothermic reaction. This causes water in the air to instantly freeze, and makes the suroundings very cold.

"Smokey smile"
Smokey Smile is an exotic powdery explosive. by dealing acid dammage to it, or ingesting it, it will create small amounts of thin smoke, granting a +4 environment bonus to discuise checks for anyone withing the smoke. when not ingested, this creates smoke within a radius equal to the acid dammage dealt. when ingested, the smoke is in a 5 foot radius, centered around the mouth of whoever ingested the powder. this does no dammage. the powder is blue colored, and very fine. When ingested, smoke lasts 1 hour.
Requires: Alchemy(DC 16), 1800 Gp, 700 Xp. 4 hours manufacturing time.

"Shrieking Flame"
Shrieking Flame is an exotic liquid explosive. when caught on fire, a single vial full of shrieking flame will burn for 1/2 an hour, and produces a shrill noise the whole time. this noise will grant +5 benifites to listen checks for those seeking the noise, and -5 penelties to listen checks for anything else. as well, it deals 1 sonic damage in a 30 foot radius each round, until it runs out or is put out. a torch may be soaked in shrieking flame to extend it's burn time by twice the amount of time the shrieking flame would burn, but the torch will create the same shrill noise. the liquid is a dark ebony blue, smells like limburger cheese, and tastes like mouse droppings.
Requires: Alchemy(DC 21), 1500 Gp, 200 Xp, a bottle of flammable oil. 1 day manufacturing time, for 3 vials full.

So, again, PEACH, and feel free to add your own.

deuxhero
2009-10-28, 06:47 PM
Wouldn't all "chill pills" explode at sun down before they can be harvested?

DracoDei
2009-10-28, 06:53 PM
Chill pills are made in an alchemy lab, not grow, and as a no-save no SR disable that only requires a ranged touch attack or some such are horrifically broken.

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 08:07 PM
So, this is a colection of various... "explosives" i thought of. They probably aren't very ballanced, and the prices are MOST LIKELY wrong, if there at all. however, feel free to PEACH, and to add some of your own...

"Chill Pill"
The Chill Pill is an exotic liquid explosive, from far deserts, packaged most comonly in pill-shaped Vials of Warming. When removed from any source of heat, whether the desert sun, or the Vials of Warming in which they are shipped, a single "dose" of Chill pill causes 2d4 cold dammage to all creatures, items, and targets in a 25 foot radius, increasing by 1d4 damage every 5 feet closer to the center. everything inside a 5 foot radius is completely frozen, causing all creatures withing to be rendered to -1 HP, unconsius, and stable automaticly. the explosive is clear, and smells and tastes like apples.
Requires <feats pending>, 1500 Gp, 100 Xp. may only be made in a hot environment.
real life mechanics:
3 chemicals, 2 in an equilibrium system. when energy is removed, the 2 chemicals shift proportions, causing the 3rd chemical to react, in a very endothermic reaction. this causes water in the air to instantly freeze, and makes the suroundings very cold

"Smokey smile"
Smokey Smile is an exotic powdery explosive. by dealing acid dammage to it, or ingesting it, it will create small amounts of thin smoke, granting a +4 environment bonus to discuise checks for anyone withing the smoke. when not ingested, this creates smoke within a radius equal to the acid dammage dealt. when ingested, the smoke is in a 5 foot radius, centered around the mouth of whoever ingested the powder. this does no dammage. the powder is blue colored, and very fine.
Requires: <feats pending>, 800 Gp, 120 Xp.

"Shrieking Flame"
Shrieking Flame is an exotic liquid explosive. when caught on fire, a single vial full of shrieking flame will burn for 1/2 an hour, and produces a shrill noise the whole time. this noise will grant +5 benifites to listen checks for those seeking the noise, and -5 penelties to listen checks for anything else. as well, it deals 1 sonic damage in a 30 foot radius each round, until it runs out or is put out. a torch may be soaked in shrieking flame to extend it's burn time by twice the amount of time the shrieking flame would burn, but the torch will create the same shrill noise. the liquid is a dark ebony blue, smells like limburger cheese, and tastes like mouse droppings.
Requires: <feats pending>, 1500 Gp, 200 Xp, a bottle of flammable oil.

So, again, PEACH, and feel free to add your own.

is completely frozen, causing all creatures withing to be rendered to -1 HP, unconsius, and stable automaticly. the explosive is clear, and smells and tastes like apples.<<< Watch your spelling mate, hard to take something seriously when there's multiple spelling errors in the one post. Put in the time to spell check :-)

flabort
2009-10-28, 08:16 PM
Sorry about the spelling, hard to check when your parents are calling you constantly. I'll go over it and fix it, thank you.

@ Duexhero & Dracodei: yes, they would explode at sundown if they were grown outside, and if the particular desert got cold at night, but since they are manufactured in alchemy labs, as dracodei said, that isn't a worry.

@ Only Dracodei: Yah, that's why I asked for Peaching. What would you suggest? I intended for it to be a... Freeze bomb. Throw the container, it breaks open, the area gets a lot colder. Should there be a save to see if your bundled up enough?

Bibliomancer
2009-10-28, 08:22 PM
1) It would be easier to say that they react on contact with high levels of oxygen (the assumption for Alchemist's Fire, etc.). This would make it easier to store (ie in a tight flask).

2) These could just be created using the Alchemy skill. All you would need to do would be set DCs (if you wanted it to be rare, 25-30 would be sufficient). This would not require xp, just quite a bit of time by someone with ranks in craft (alchemy). If they are quasi-magical, add a second requirement that the creator must be able to cast a certain spell (chill touch, burning hands, pyrotechnics, etc.). This would prevent xp from being needed to create them, and an alchemy theme fits better in my opinion.

3) There should be a reflex save to negate being frozen (21, say) for the Chill Pill, otherwise it automatically disables an opponent. Also, the ice coating should deal 1d6 points of damage per round encased in the ice (plus initial damage). The ice has hardness 5 and 20 hitpoints, and can be broken with a DC 20 Strength Check. This make sit powerful but not overwhelmingly so. As written, you could automatically encase the tarrasque using one chill pill.

flabort
2009-10-28, 08:26 PM
Thanks, I'll try making (most of) those changes, hopefully i'm fast enough before someone else posts! ;p

Edit: OK, a source of cold activates it now, not a lack of heat source. This is more accurate to my RL reference, and also makes storage dramaticly easier. However, sailing through the arctic with a load of them still isn't a good idea.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-28, 08:49 PM
Thanks, I'll try making (most of) those changes, hopefully i'm fast enough before someone else posts! ;p

Edit: OK, a source of cold activates it now, not a lack of heat source. This is more accurate to my RL reference, and also makes storage dramaticly easier. However, sailing through the arctic with a load of them still isn't a good idea.

What level of heat? It is just a temperature change? Could a character wear it next to their body and activate it by throwing it (dropping it to room temperature)?

flabort
2009-10-28, 08:56 PM
What level of heat? It is just a temperature change? Could a character wear it next to their body and activate it by throwing it (dropping it to room temperature)?

I'm sorry, I'm still not COMPLETELY familiar with every rule yet. Umm, I'll clarify. I was thinking just... yah, drop it to or below room temprature, from above. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe body heat alone wouldn't be enough to prevent it from going off though... DM's call, I guess.

deuxhero
2009-10-28, 10:08 PM
@ Duexhero & Dracodei: if the particular desert got cold at night

All deserts get cold at night. For the same reasons they get hot in the day. Nothing prevents the heat from getting in, and nothing prevents it from escaping. Your description made it sound like "naturally occurs in deserts" than "created in labs located in deserts".

flabort
2009-10-29, 06:25 PM
Well, this IS a fantasy world... who knows what might not be the same as RL? Sure, I'd personaly asume that it got cold, but what if there was one that didn't? Not likely, but "possible", given the circumstances.

sorry for any misunderstanding...

Argeus
2009-10-30, 01:06 AM
My only issue is with this.

Smokey Smile is an exotic powdery explosive. by dealing acid dammage to it, or ingesting it, it will create small amounts of thin smoke, granting a +4 environment bonus to discuise checks for anyone withing the smoke. when not ingested, this creates smoke within a radius equal to the acid dammage dealt. when ingested, the smoke is in a 5 foot radius, centered around the mouth of whoever ingested the powder. this does no dammage. the powder is blue colored, and very fine. When ingested, smoke lasts 1 hour.

I, for one, dislikes that idea. This powder produces gas in massive amount. Imgesting one of that sort will result in your tummy bursting asunder before any smoke could escape.

Of course, this is fantasy, but this line is certainly pushing it.

flabort
2009-10-30, 07:04 PM
Well, it was supposed to be THIN smoke... but, opinions are opinions. I could make it more... whatever. Or you could choose not to use it. What ever. however, I just thought that since it reacts to acid dammage, and your stomach is full of acid... maybe I'll add a save to avoid either
a) an explosion (rare)
b) a massive belch
c) heart burn
...or something of the sorts... although I could tone down the amount of smoke produced instead. What say you?