PDA

View Full Version : Enraged Archer (3.5 Prc, PEACH)

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:01 PM
Enraged Archer

The primal hunter, pure skill with weapons, and a pure controlled hatred at any foes that stand before him. The Enraged Archer stands, a bastion of nature, cutting down his foes from afar, his anger channelled into his weapon.

The Enraged Archer is the perfect class for anyone who wishes to dish out damage from afar, while being able to wade into melee at the drop of a hat. The perfect hunter, expert marksman and wilderness man.

Enraged Archer
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Improved Fast Movement, Bonus Feat (Archery)

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Uncanny Dodge, Rage Finesse

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Combat Reflexes, Rage 2/day

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Bonus Feat (Archery)

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +1

6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Damage Reduction 1/-

7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Rage 3/Day, Bonus Feat (Archery)

8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Greater Rage

9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Trap Sense +2, Damage Reduction 2/-

10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Rage 4/Day, Bonus Feat (Archery)

11th|+11|+7|+7|+3|Indominatible Will, Trap Sense+3

12th|+12|+8|+8|+4|Tireless Rage, Damage Reduction 3/-

13th|+13|+8|+8|+4|Trap Sense +6, Bonus Feat (Archery)

14th|+14|+9|+9|+4|Damage Reduction 4/-, Trap Sense +4

15th|+15|+9|+9|+5|Mighty Rage, Rage 5/day, Bonus Feat (Archery)

[/table]
Prerequisites: The ability to Rage 1/day, BAB minimum of +4.

Alignment: Any non-lawful
Hit Die: D10

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at Each Level: 3 + Int modifier

The Enraged Archer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Class Features

Improved Fast Movement (Ex)

An archers land speed becomes faster again than the norm for his race by +15 feet. This stacks with any other speed increases garnered from previous class features. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the archers speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Bonus Feat: Archery
The enraged archer may chose a Bonus feat from the Archery Feat tree. This includes: Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Shot On The Run. All prerequisites must still be met.

Rage Finesse (Ex)

At 2nd level, the Enraged Archer has become adept at channeling his rage, he may now choose to forgo the Constitution bonus as a result of his rage, and apply the bonus instead to his dexterity.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

At 2nd level, an enraged archer retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If an enraged archer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Combat Reflexes

The enraged Archer may now make an additional number of attacks of opportunity equal to their dexterity score. This increases when the Archer is raging.

Trap Sense (Ex)

Starting at 5th level, an enraged archer gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 at 8th, 11th, 13th, 14th level. Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

At 5th level and higher, an archer can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the archer by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has archer levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Rage (Ex)

An archer can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a n archer temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution (Unless he uses Rage Finesse in which case the bonus is to dexterity), and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the archers hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.)

While raging, an archer cannot use any Charisma-, Wisdom-, or Intelligence, Dexterity-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, except aiming and firing a bow, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution or Dexterity modifier.

An archer may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the archer loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 12th-level archer, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

An archer can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 3rd level he can use his rage ability twice per day. At 7th, 10th and 15th, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of five times per day at 15th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but an archer can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Damage Reduction (Ex)

At 6th level, an archer gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the archer takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 9th, 12th and 14th this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Greater Rage (Ex)

At 8th level, an archer's bonuses to Strength, Constitution (or Dexterity) during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Indomitable Will (Ex)

While in a rage, an archer of 11th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.

Tireless Rage (Ex)

At 12th level and higher, an archer no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his rage.

Mighty Rage (Ex)

At 15th level, an archers bonuses to Strength and Constitution (or Dexterity) during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC is now only -1.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-28, 07:08 PM
Why is this guy's Mighty Rage better than the standard version of the ability?

He's already netting himself a +2 AC without the modification...

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:10 PM
Why is this guy's Mighty Rage better than the standard version of the ability?

He's already netting himself a +2 AC without the modification...

Because I don't feel Fighters get enough glory. And they should. So I have :-) PLUS he's losing one rage per day, and some lost Reduce Damage.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-28, 07:15 PM
Why do they get move silently?

Temotei
2009-10-28, 07:25 PM
Prerequisites: Dexterity: 13 or higher, Strength: 13 or Higher, the ability to Rage at least once a day, BAB +4.

Never have prerequisites involving random chance.

Hit Die: 1d10

I think this should be d10.

Skill Points at Each Level: 3 + Int modifier

That's random. :smallsmile: I've never seen a 3 + Int modifier...or any odd numbers there, come to think of it.

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:37 PM
Never have prerequisites involving random chance.

I think this should be d10.

That's random. :smallsmile: I've never seen a 3 + Int modifier...or any odd numbers there, come to think of it.

Where was the chance? If you mean the BAB I meant they need a minimum, will have to address this. Yeah, I felt they should get more than the worst (Barbarian) but less the average (four). Three's fine with me. :-D And you are correct, it should be D10!

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:38 PM
Why do they get move silently?

Oops! Stole the rangers class skills list, didn't modify properly! Will edit. Thanks!

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-28, 07:41 PM
It states in the guidelines for making prestige classes in the DMG that as players have no control over what they roll, stats should never be used as prerequisites for prestige classes.

they are usually used indirectly by requiring feats with minimums but Wizards have themselves stuck firmly to their own rules, even if some of the third parties havent.

That's what he meant by "random chance"

Edit: You might want to check again on your skill point comment. The modal number of skill points is actually 2 + Int, while the Barbarian gets 4+ to make up for the Int dump presumption.

Temotei
2009-10-28, 07:42 PM
The Strength and Dexterity requirements of 13 are chance-based for a whole bunch of people, and they shouldn't be unable to take this class just because of a bunch of bad rolls.

It's an interesting take on the ranged barbarian, to be sure. :smalltongue:

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:43 PM
It states in the guidelines for making prestige classes in the DMG that as players have no control over what they roll, stats should never be used as prerequisites for prestige classes.

they are usually used indirectly by requiring feats with minimums but Wizards have themselves stuck firmly to their own rules, even if some of the third parties havent.

That's what he meant by "random chance"

Edit: You might want to check again on your skill point comment. The modal number of skill points is actually 2 + Int, while the Barbarian gets 4+ to make up for the Int dump presumption.

Ahhhh noted and fixed. What do we think of it now? :-)

Edit: Edit: You might want to check again on your skill point comment. The modal number of skill points is actually 2 + Int, while the Barbarian gets 4+ to make up for the Int dump presumption.

Got them back to front, my bad. I still feel 3 is a sturdy "not too much, not too little" option for a pure fighter based class. If there's any severe disagreements I can pop it up a notch.

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:46 PM
The Strength and Dexterity requirements of 13 are chance-based for a whole bunch of people, and they shouldn't be unable to take this class just because of a bunch of bad rolls.

It's an interesting take on the ranged barbarian, to be sure. :smalltongue:

Bahahaha "Interesting" Elaborate on interesting? :-P

Temotei
2009-10-28, 07:49 PM
Good. I'm satisfied. :smallbiggrin: As for professionalism, I think
The ability to Rage at least once a day should be Rage 1/day. While it at first looks as if Rage 1/day says "No, you can't take the class if you have 2/day," in reality, Rage 1/day is a requirement for Rage 2/day, etc. Just a little nitpick.

EDIT: By interesting, I mean it looks similar to the barbarian, but actually allows a ranged character to get use from barbarian rage.

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 07:58 PM
Good. I'm satisfied. :smallbiggrin: As for professionalism, I think should be Rage 1/day. While it at first looks as if Rage 1/day says "No, you can't take the class if you have 2/day," in reality, Rage 1/day is a requirement for Rage 2/day, etc. Just a little nitpick.

EDIT: By interesting, I mean it looks similar to the barbarian, but actually allows a ranged character to get use from barbarian rage.

Done and done, and yep. That's what I was going for. I love archers, perfect class for me, just wanted to give them a leg up!

deuxhero
2009-10-28, 10:15 PM
Does Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) (rage variant) meet the requirements for the class?

-Baldur-
2009-10-28, 10:22 PM
Does Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) (rage variant) meet the requirements for the class?

Yep. It's a rage variant. Don't see why not. It does minus on your attack though, which I would consider bad. But a whole other attack seems awesome.

Temotei
2009-10-29, 02:03 AM
That would be pretty cool to have an inhumanly fast-shooting archer. :smallamused:

But then again, Lightning Fists doesn't specify that you need to use your fists to get the extra attacks. :smallbiggrin: You could use that in conjunction with Whirling Frenzy and Rapid Shot...

-Baldur-
2009-10-29, 04:42 PM
That would be pretty cool to have an inhumanly fast-shooting archer. :smallamused:

But then again, Lightning Fists doesn't specify that you need to use your fists to get the extra attacks. :smallbiggrin: You could use that in conjunction with Whirling Frenzy and Rapid Shot...

Dear god man. You've created a monster lol. Good effort. And fair point! Mayhaps someone should playtest that. I considered giving this class some more Archery related abilities. Ricochet or something. Or is it a case of, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Valinor2
2009-10-29, 05:15 PM
I think there should be a DEX prerequisite, otherwise it most definitely godly in awesomeness!:smallcool:

-Baldur-
2009-10-29, 05:18 PM
I think there should be a DEX prerequisite, otherwise it most definitely godly in awesomeness!:smallcool:

I thought so too. But I think the others make a valid point when they say that you shouldn't be disqualified from the class just for rolling badly on your Dexterity.

That'd be a shame. So I think we'll leave the prereq's as is. Maybe add one more but non ability score based. A skill or knowledge *shrugs* Any ideas?