PDA

View Full Version : Dun Dun Dun?

LandingPad
2009-10-28, 07:28 PM
Been lurking in the background reading the forums for a while, but I thought I'd finally register to get people's opinion.

How do you hear Elan's "Dun Dun Dun"? Is it three different pitches? In what order (i.e. 'high-middle-low' or 'middle-low-high' or something else)? Speed/tempo? Other comments?

Me, it's usually the middle-low-high with each pitch lasting about a second.

Laters

Allan Surgite
2009-10-28, 07:33 PM
I read "dun dun dun".

If I was reading aloud, I would say "(medium)dun (low)dun (medium)DUN", with the capital letters representing a peak in the volume of my speech.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 07:35 PM
I'm always self-debating about whether Elan's voice is really low or really high. I'm not quite sure why. In any case, I hear it as a... dun (middle) dun (low) DUNNNNN (slightly higher than middle, emphasis on this word, "n" held for a few seconds)

EDIT: Basically what Conuly posted. Maybe the last DUNNN was a little lower.

Conuly
2009-10-28, 07:35 PM
Here you go. THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMKfWEjdqU&feature=related) is the definitive "Dun dun DUN" noise.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-28, 07:38 PM
I always thought it would be the Dramatic Chipmunk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw&feature=fvw) version.

waterpenguin43
2009-10-28, 07:55 PM
Dun (low), Dun (low), DUNNN (high).
I think that's how it works

Bibliomancer
2009-10-28, 07:57 PM
Here you go. THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMKfWEjdqU&feature=related) is the definitive "Dun dun DUN" noise.

Essentially this, except simulated by the human voice.

Mewtarthio
2009-10-28, 08:03 PM
Really? I always imagined a trio of notes from high to low, with emphasis on the last note.

DBJack
2009-10-28, 08:17 PM
Really? I always imagined a trio of notes from high to low, with emphasis on the last note.

Same. I hear medium, low, pretty low with emphasis, although I imagine Elan to have a higher voice.

I don't think I've ever heard a low low high before as a dramatic cue. I get the medium, low, slightly higher than medium, but low, lower, lowest just sounds more dramatic

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 08:22 PM
low, lower, lowest has more of a... mildly depressing suspense to it. The type of thing you would say... "(as if by a well-thought out conclusion)We're doomed... *dun dun DUNNN*" Middle, low, slightly higher than middle is more like... intrigue, I think. Like... "I wonder what will happen next... *dun dun DUNNN*". Well, I think that anyway.

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-28, 08:27 PM
low, lower, lowest has more of a... mildly depressing suspense to it. The type of thing you would say... "(as if by a well-thought out conclusion)We're doomed... *dun dun DUNNN*" Middle, low, slightly higher than middle is more like... intrigue, I think. Like... "I wonder what will happen next... *dun dun DUNNN*". Well, I think that anyway.

FYI, the depressing version is *dun dun dun . . . dudun*

DBJack
2009-10-28, 08:37 PM

'intrigue,' that's the word I was looking for. The intrigue cue usually happens right after some serious mustache twirling while the secret plans are revealed to the audience, followed by a commercial break, and when the show returns it's at a different scene centered on the heroes. The high-low DUN is more like the heroes hearing the plans themselves, while currently unable to stop them at the time being. I dunno how that's supposed to pursuade you to see my point of view, but that's the only arguement I've got for something this abstract.

FYI, the depressing version is *dun dun dun . . . dudun*

Lower, lower, lowest can be accomplished in three notes if they're slowed down, at least in my mind :smallwink:

And I seriously wish I could see the Giant's facial expressions when he sees that we're arguing now about how musical cues sound in his comic. Our arguements know no bounds

drengnikrafe
2009-10-28, 08:47 PM
Considering that Elan (in the musical cue for the dead chimera) is talking about a plan he suspects may exist, but could do nothing about at present, I would say the (low, lower, lowest) would be the better musical cue for the situation. I'm just used to hearing the (middle, low, slightly-higher) version, so it would be the first version to pop into my head. In that sense, you are more correct, DBJack, and from now on when I see that musical cue, it will be the (low, lower, lowest) that plays in my head.

Starscream
2009-10-28, 09:02 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I hear.

And I love that we are a forum that can have a serious conversation about how Dun dun DUN sounds.:smallbiggrin:

Conuly
2009-10-28, 10:25 PM

Oh, you're right! I hadn't really thought it out, but it's making intuitive sense to me.

Also - those of you who disagree with me prefer this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aEAvHvcIAk&feature=related)?

(I, for one, think Elan needs to start doing da na na na! instead. Now that I've seen the youtube, I can't picture anything else!)

And I seriously wish I could see the Giant's facial expressions when he sees that we're arguing now about how musical cues sound in his comic. Our arguments know no bounds

We're arguing? I thought we were just discussing!

At any rate, if his face is anything like mine when I saw there was *more than one* youtube video of this, it's a pity we can't see it.

Tass
2009-10-29, 01:38 AM
In the beginning I heard the classic notes from Beethoven's fifth. Then I realised that that would require four duns.