PDA

View Full Version : How Belkar dies...

Hardcore
2009-10-28, 09:01 PM
This is a tricky one, actually. Durkon can do resurrections after all, and why should he not try bring Belkar back?
Belkar is after all a part of OotS, and the others are all good aligned. I think they would feel they should to try bring a member of their team back.

So, what can happen to Belkar that prevent his resurrection?

The Blackbird
2009-10-28, 09:03 PM
This is a tricky one, actually. Durkon can do resurrections after all, and why should he not try bring Belkar back?
Belkar is after all a team member, and the other team members are good aligned. They would feel they should to try bring a member of their team back.

The Snarl unmaking him...

someonenonotyou
2009-10-28, 09:05 PM
Gets his Soul binded
he dont want to
all the dimonds in the world dissaper mistriously
Durkon dosn't want to

Hardcore
2009-10-28, 09:06 PM
Well, but that happen only when the Snarl undo the creation.
As we have seen, in the earlier crayon pages, that which is touched by the snarl in the world is not undone, but simply killed. Like Soons wife.

Cracklord
2009-10-28, 09:07 PM
Cold, alone and unloved.
Edit: Proven by this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html) strip. It was clearly foreshadowing.
Preferably crying.

Or, killed by those slavers in revenge. For his only good deed. Best. Death. Ever.

Sewblon
2009-10-28, 09:08 PM
The Snarl unmaking him... Isn't a soul-bind more likely? The Order are going to eventually fight an epic necromancer. Or maybe it will be like what happened to his idol/delusion mentor, Lord Shojo, and he won't want to return.

Kish
"The others are all good-aligned"? Don't forget Vaarsuvius.

Roy's stated that he considers Belkar dying a solution to a problem, not a problem in and of itself. Take issue with his attitude if you want to, but that's what he said. :smalltongue:

Lvl45DM!
yeah but neither soons wife nor kraagor was brought back

btw Order of the Scribble didnt have a cleric did they? can druids cast ressurection?

Oh and however he dies it will not be redeeming

veti
2009-10-28, 09:11 PM
Likeliest, I think: his body is irretrievable for some reason. Fallen into a rift, eaten by a passing dragon, stuck at the bottom of one of Haley's Bags of Holding, whatever - no body, no Resurrection, and there's nothing Durkon can do about it.

Porthos
2009-10-28, 09:12 PM
It's been stated somewhere in either the comic or commentary that anyone killed by the Snarl can't be brought back by Resurrection Magic. Somewhere in connection with Lord Soon's wife, IIRC.

waterpenguin43
2009-10-28, 09:13 PM
Or maybe Durkon dies too, and later Vaarsuvius in some distantly Belkar related death. I think that Belkar, Durkon and Vaarsuvius are doomed.

The Blackbird
2009-10-28, 09:14 PM
Isn't a soul-bind more likely? The Order are going to eventually fight an epic necromancer.

Yeah but they're also giong to be close to the gates, I think that the gate would be destroyed and the Snarl take Belkar as likely as him being soul-binded.

I personally think he wouldn't want to come back though.

It's been stated somewhere in either the comic or commentary that anyone killed by the Snarl can't be brought back by Resurrection Magic. Somewhere in connection with Lord Soon's wife, IIRC.

This is true, the Snarl doesn't kill you, it unmakes you.

Sewblon
2009-10-28, 09:14 PM
Cold, alone and unloved.
Edit: Proven by this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html) strip. It was clearly foreshadowing.
Preferably crying.

Or, killed by those slavers in revenge. For his only good deed. Best. Death. Ever. Just like how it foreshadows that he loved Elan and Vaarsuvius all along, despite trying murder Elan and feeding Vaarsuvius to an owl-bear, and will die while having a threesome with them... well what did you think he meant by "love"? Belkar volunteering to save Elan from those bandits and the kiss between Belkar and Vaarsuvius on New Years made it obvious.

The Blackbird
2009-10-28, 09:16 PM
Just like how it foreshadows that he loved Elan and Vaarsuvius all along, despite trying murder Elan and feeding Vaarsuvius to an owl-bear, and will die while having a threesome with them... well what did you think he meant by "love"?

Nevermind, it's totally this.

FujinAkari
2009-10-28, 09:18 PM
The better question is why would Durkon want to bring him back?

Cracklord
2009-10-28, 09:18 PM
Just like how it foreshadows that he loved Elan and Vaarsuvius all along, despite trying murder Elan and feeding Vaarsuvius to an owl-bear, and will die while having a threesome with them... well what did you think he meant by "love"?

The kiss on new years eve, and Belkar rescuing Elan from the bandits. What do you think?
Christ.

Porthos
2009-10-28, 09:23 PM
Double checked my copy of Start of Darkness and that is at least one place where it is mentioned that if The Snarl snuffs you, you ain't coming back.

Course, as comic #672 showed, the reason why they don't come back may not be the reason everyone else thinks it is. :smalltongue:

Acero
2009-10-28, 09:26 PM

because he's already dead.

:elan:DUN DUN DUN

Sewblon
2009-10-28, 09:44 PM
The kiss on new years eve, and Belkar rescuing Elan from the bandits. What do you think?
Christ. Bonus points they have their threesome in front of the rest of the order :haley: "should I kill them and then cry myself to sleep, or cry myself to sleep and kill them in the morning?" :durkon: "Ah dunna know wha made Thor hate me enough ta make me see this, but ah doubt that ah can ere make restitution fer whaere it was." :roy: "I wasn't crazy about death at first, but I think I will give it another shot."

derfenrirwolv
2009-10-28, 10:43 PM
Belkar falls into the snarl.. which is actually happy sunshine fun land, where he can't kill anything because the snarl doesn't understand death.. with rainbows, and unicorns...

muahahahahaahahahahah

Thanatosia
2009-10-28, 11:12 PM
Maybe for whatever reason, he enjoys the afterlife he gets sent to and simply chooses not to get resurrected?

Jagos
2009-10-28, 11:30 PM
Belkar falls into the snarl.. which is actually happy sunshine fun land, where he can't kill anything because the snarl doesn't understand death.. with rainbows, and unicorns...

muahahahahaahahahahah

You sir, are the master of cruel and unusual punishment. ;)

DBJack
2009-10-28, 11:46 PM
:belkar: Oh no, I'm dead.
:durkon: Should I raise him?
:roy: No, he's an evil sociopath and I am responsable for him. I was told by a being of pure law and good that my soul is at risk for simply travelling with him.

P.S., the snarl probably won't kill Belkar, because the Giant has expressed interest in having an arc about Belkar in the afterlife, or at least he said it would be really fun to do if he was killed by Miko because V didn't save him.

Sewblon
2009-10-29, 12:07 AM
Or maybe Durkon dies too, and later Vaarsuvius in some distantly Belkar related death. I think that Belkar, Durkon and Vaarsuvius are doomed.

Belkar and Durkon are doomed by prophecy, but the only thing Vaarsuvius is indisputably doomed to is under an hour in the lower planes. That is a pretty big leap.

Cracklord
2009-10-29, 12:12 AM
Maybe for whatever reason, he enjoys the afterlife he gets sent to and simply chooses not to get resurrected?

Assumng this is the traditional DnD afterlife (and in many ways it seems to be), then fear not, there is no chance of that. Only two people like living on the lower planes, Asmodeas and the General of Gehenna. Even the demonlords and Archfiends find little joy in their existence (with the possible exception of Grazz't).

Haggis
2009-10-29, 01:39 AM
Eaten by a lava breathing shark.

You won't be recovering his corpse then.

But most likely they choose not to. After all he's not fooling anyone. They simply going with his pretend character growth because it makes him more manageable. Belkar is and has been slightly more useful then a threat. They don't like him (well elan maybe) and certainty don't trust him.

Belkar is a loaded gun. Just because the order is aiming him now doesn't mean he won't shoot them sooner or later. There's a reason you don't leave one lying around the house.

Dienekes
2009-10-29, 01:53 AM
Hopefully in a crowning moment of awesome.

As said, when killing off a character either make it the most amazing thing you've ever seen or deep.

Miko already stole deep (and I don't think it'd work with Belkar anyhow).

My hope, Red Cloak kills cat. Belkar gets pissed, and they both topple merrily into hell together.

Cracklord
2009-10-29, 02:02 AM
Hopefully in a crowning moment of awesome.

As said, when killing off a character either make it the most amazing thing you've ever seen or deep.

Miko already stole deep (and I don't think it'd work with Belkar anyhow).

My hope, Red Cloak kills cat. Belkar gets pissed, and they both topple merrily into hell together.

As I explained, Redcloak will not go to hell. The gods don't let their worshipers go to hell, because they don't want to waste belief.

So I am fine with this.

Dienekes
2009-10-29, 02:07 AM
As I explained, Redcloak will not go to hell. The gods don't let their worshipers go to hell, because they don't want to waste belief.

So I am fine with this.

Figure of speech boyo

Cracklord
2009-10-29, 02:20 AM
Enjoy (or don't)

Belkar tested the ring in the wall and the chain that bound him. His limbs were free, but he knew that his shackles had a break DC beyond his his ability. The links of the chains were as thick as his tongue, and fastened to a band of steel about his waist, a band as broad as his hand and half an inch thick. The sheer weight of them was making him exhausted, and it was only a matter of time before he collapsed. Even the locks that held the band were massive affairs a sledgehammer could barely so much as dint. Haley could probably open them by looking at them, but Belkar didn't know where to start. And the ring the chain was fastened to went through the wall and was fastened to the other side.

Someone really didn't like him.

He tried to remember what had happened, but all he could remember was the meeting with the slavers, and then the long march east. They had made camp, and then... this.

Belkar cursed, and panic surged through him as he glared into the darkness that pressed against the half circle of light. His imagination peopled the murk with grisly shapes. Then his reason joined in. Whoever his captors were, he doubted they had reason to spare him. They wanted something from him, and most likely they would kill him for it.

He might have been down there for an hour, an eternity or just a few scant seconds, when the door swung open and remained open. The grille was withdrawn and a huge figure was framed in the glow of the torches outside.The figure glided in, pulling the grille partly to behind it, leaving the bolt poised As it moved into the light of the torch above, Belkar saw it was a gigantic Thri-Keen, stark naked, bearing in one hand a ring of keys. His other hands were constantly in motion, even folded as they were now.

His mandibles clicked as he spoke. "Nice to meet you." he said, the sharp teeth splitting into a grin that sent shivers down his spine. "I have dared much for this meeting. Look! The keys to your chains! What will you give me for them?" He asked, dangling them in front of the halflings eyes.
Belkar made a grab, but he fell short by a good few feet.

"Give me the keys and I won't cut of your balls." Belkar growled, new hope surging fiercely in his breast. He grabbed at them again, but got no closer then he had on his last attempt.

The tri-keen shrugged all four of his shoulders. "If you're not going to make it worth my time..."

"Ten thousand gold pieces," Belkar offered.

"Not enough!" cried the insectoid figure, a ferocious exultation shining through his dark carapace. "Not nearly enough for the risks I take. If they find out what I've done, they'll hang me up by my... well, what will you give me?"

'Twenty thousand, and all the slaves you want." Belkar tried again. The Thri-keen yelled and stamped in in a frenzy of barbaric gratification. "More... Offer me more!"

"You bastard! If I was free I'd see how you like a dagger up your ********! Are you just here to mock me?"

"Oh no." The beetleman replied, craning his head so his compound eyes stared into Belkars brown ones. "I know of you, since I was a chief among our hive, and my brother returned and took my place. You killed him. You desecrated his body. You killed Kz-Lou-Tzak. My chief, and my brother. I demand the blood price!" He said, his voice now thick with a mix of emotion.

"Free me and I'll pay you your weight in gold!" Growled Belkar.

The red eyes glittered, the mandibles clicked. "You softskins are all the same, you all think golds all that is important, but we Thri-keen know gold can never pay for blood. Only one thing can. All that can... is more blood." The last words were a maniacal shriek that sent echoes shivering around the dungeon.

A strange buzzing filled the air. "You hear that, Belkar? That's a bloodfly swarm. They eat softskin's blood, and lay their eggs in their corpse. I think I find vengeance to my liking after all. Perhaps I shall watch. They're not interested in my blood, after all."

Belkar opened his mouth to say something, only for it to be drowned out by the terrible drone of dark mass, blacker then black, made up of thousands of glittering bugs, each bloated on stolen fluid, the size of his big toe. He flailed anxiously, his exhaustion forgotten, but it had no effect, bushing a few aside. Then one latched on to his arm, and bit through his skin. He pulled it off and crushed it, but then they were all over him, covering him, tearing through his skin. He tried to scream, but when he opened his mount a few pushed their way in and began eating him from the inside.

His last thought through the haze of pain, was the irony. Killed in revenge for his only selfless deed.
.[/I]

This would be the best way to kill him off in my mind.

Dienekes
2009-10-29, 02:28 AM

Your hatred for a character who seems to (by this example at least) share your dark sense of humor is both awe inspiring and amusing.

Though I disagree, his last thought is totally wrong. He'd never think of the irony, just how to make whatever was killing him pay.

Hardcore
2009-10-29, 05:54 AM
I think he may get lost among Gerards illusions around the gate. This prevent the Order find his body and resurrect it.

derfenrirwolv
2009-10-29, 06:36 AM
I think its going to be specifically pointed out that they COULD raise him.. but they're not.

Skeppio
2009-10-29, 07:07 AM

Painful, ironic and horrifying. I love it.

dr Jack
2009-10-30, 02:04 PM
Prophecy said that Belkar will draw the last breath.
Excluding that he will became a champion in apnoea and excluding a drastical change in his brathing apparatus he will be REAL DEAD.

Or maybe he will become an undead :p and remain in the story without breathing.

Cracklord
2009-10-30, 02:34 PM
Prophecy said that Belkar will draw the last breath.
Excluding that he will became a champion in apnoea and excluding a drastical change in his brathing apparatus he will be REAL DEAD.

Or maybe he will become an undead :p and remain in the story without breathing.

Last checked, undead remain in this world.
Of course, they could bring him back as a mindless, souless zombie.
Wouldn't be any real change to his character.

Big Hungry Joe
2009-10-30, 02:51 PM
If he does die, it may be because other members treat the Oracle's notoriously cryptic, attenuated, and biased predictions in a self-fulfilling manner. For example, Roy might assume the Oracle was telling the truth, and therefore not go out of his way to rescue Belkar in a dangerous situation because he thinks the prophecy is coming true at that moment. He's already shown a tendency to abandon party members in a fit of pique (such as #153, where he abandons Elan to bandits and also classily compares him to syphilis), so he probably won't stick his neck out if Belkar gets into trouble around the time the Oracle said he was going to die. Roy doesn't seem likely to be sorry to see Belkar go, so he may just stand around and let it happen, using the Oracle's prophecy as political cover.

As a practical matter, I think Belkar is actually one of the few valuable members when it comes to the nuts and bolts of actually taking down Xykon & gang. So letting him die in anything other than the end stages of actually destroying Xykon seems likely to hamper the overall goal a fair amount. Not sure how Roy will reconcile that with the blood oath (and lawful good alignment), but that's a thread for another day I guess.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-30, 02:51 PM
Not long for this world = solvable by a variety of means. People get brought back.
Won't be paying income taxes = He's Belkar.
Last breath = Must somehow cease breathing. This is actually a good indication of undead, or transformation to something else that need not breathe.
Savor next birthday cake = May not need to eat either.

Yeah, undead is a safe bet. Ghost, for those interested in playing the long stakes.

Sewblon
2009-10-30, 03:24 PM
Not long for this world = solvable by a variety of means. People get brought back.
Last breath = Must somehow cease breathing. This is actually a good indication of undead, or transformation to something else that need not breathe.

Yeah, undead is a safe bet. Ghost, for those interested in playing the long stakes. I pictured it going "Belkar Bitterleaf, you are hereby disqualified from the after-life for attempting to cheat." :belkar: "Ah (four-letter-word)... Oh well, I am gonna go become a ghost and bug the people I hanged out with when I was alive."

Kish
2009-10-30, 03:26 PM
Not long for this world = solvable by a variety of means.
Educate us on those means, then.

I pictured it going "Belkar Bitterleaf, you are hereby disqualified from the after-life for attempting to cheat." :belkar: "Ah (four-letter-word)... Oh well, I am gonna go become a ghost and bug the people I hanged out with when I was alive."
Belkar's really not that special. One of the nine afterlives is explicitly set up for people like him.

And a ghost who traveled with the Order would be in the world.

Sewblon
2009-10-30, 03:37 PM
Educate us on those means, then.

Belkar's really not that special. One of the nine afterlives is explicitly set up for people like him.

And a ghost who traveled with the Order would be in the world. Well, his native plane would still be one other than the plane in which The Oracle who said that resides, and the exact wording of the technical prophecy was, "Belkar will draw his last breath, ever, by the end of the year." Ghosts don't breath. And being disqualified from the afterlife for attempting to cheat would fit the "cheating at society" arc, and seems like a fitting punishment for an evil person who tried it.

fwiffo
2009-10-30, 03:40 PM
Belkar is already "not long for this world". Really, when you have to use a stepstool to stare goblin face to face....

Berserk Monk
2009-10-30, 03:40 PM
I will accept Belkar's death on two conditions:

-He gets to kill Miko's stupid horse in the afterlife.
-Thog replaces him in the Order.

Kish
2009-10-30, 03:57 PM
And being disqualified from the afterlife for attempting to cheat would fit the "cheating at society" arc, and seems like a fitting punishment for an evil person who tried it.
If people who cheat at society are disqualified from all afterlives, the Chaotic Evil afterlife must be sparsely populated indeed.

I will accept Belkar's death on two conditions:

-He gets to kill Miko's stupid horse in the afterlife.
-Thog replaces him in the Order.
You're going to get disappointed again. Doubly.

(I'd offer a bet, but you never paid off our last one.)

hamishspence
2009-10-30, 04:00 PM
yes- somehow, Belkar doesn't seem up to:

"Heaven doesn't want me- and Hell is afraid I'll take over."

Herald Alberich
2009-10-30, 10:30 PM
If he does die, it may be because other members treat the Oracle's notoriously cryptic, attenuated, and biased predictions in a self-fulfilling manner. For example, Roy might assume the Oracle was telling the truth, and therefore not go out of his way to rescue Belkar in a dangerous situation because he thinks the prophecy is coming true at that moment. He's already shown a tendency to abandon party members in a fit of pique (such as #153, where he abandons Elan to bandits and also classily compares him to syphilis), so he probably won't stick his neck out if Belkar gets into trouble around the time the Oracle said he was going to die. Roy doesn't seem likely to be sorry to see Belkar go, so he may just stand around and let it happen, using the Oracle's prophecy as political cover.

I'm almost certain that's what will happen - it's a classic self-fulfilling prophecy. Because Roy believes the prophecy to be true (and because he wants to be rid of his Chaotic Evil lodestone), when Belkar dies, he won't be raised, even if he could be. That will fulfill the prophecy, and the Oracle won't even have lied - by saying it to the right person, he ensured it would be true. It wouldn't especially surprise me if the Oracle was doing this for revenge - apparently the Mark of Justice wasn't enough for him.

Cracklord
2009-10-30, 10:49 PM
yes- somehow, Belkar doesn't seem up to:

"Heaven doesn't want me- and Hell is afraid I'll take over."

Ha ha ha. Ha. hahahhahahaha.
Right. No. Not quite. not quite at all.
Besides, a.) Nobody runs the abyss, the most powerful demonlord owns three layers. Three out of infinity. Even gods only own up to one.
b.) Demogorgan, the most powerful thing in the abyss, suffers constantly, due to his insanity/split personality.
Orchus suffers, as he feels nothing. At all. Nothing gives him any pleasure, any meaning, and it has been mentioned in hordes of the abyss thats he only endures out of spite.
Grazz't suffers, though a lot less then the other two.
Taking over hell won't do hm any good, he'll still collapse into paranoia, as he is unable to rust anyone, and has to spend every second working to keep his power, until eventually he goes totally insane or makes a mistake.
And in the abyss, at least, there is always someone bigger, crueler and more brutal. No matter how powerful you get.

Of course, this is somewhat unlikely, as Rich seems to like the guy, for reasons beyond my ability to comprehend. So chances are he'll wind up with the IFCC.

I personally wish this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrotherChuck) would happen to him.

waterpenguin43
2009-10-31, 10:55 AM
Belkar and Durkon are doomed by prophecy, but the only thing Vaarsuvius is indisputably doomed to is under an hour in the lower planes. That is a pretty big leap.

That isn't what I mean, take a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html) strip. The oracle says: "and as for the elf" in strip #19. Belkar is probably only tied to V's death in the most vague of ways, but I still think V is destined to die.

Fragenstein
2009-10-31, 12:00 PM
I personally wish this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrotherChuck) would happen to him.

What a weird little site that is. Basically, every time a TV character in history sneezed they were granted a Trope. Gotcha.

dethkruzer
2009-10-31, 12:21 PM

Here's an idea, Belkar becomes a deity of some level. According to the book Deities and Demi-gods, Deities don't have to eat, sleep or breath.

The "Not long for this world" Part may refer to the possibility that he leaves for another plane to create a domain for himself. And he won't be paying taxes because he won't have any actual income

Kish
2009-10-31, 12:40 PM
Here's an idea, Belkar becomes a deity of some level.
Given that, as the title of the latest strip highlights, everyone in the world where he exists despises him, how on earth would that happen? The Dark One he isn't.

Allan Surgite
2009-10-31, 12:46 PM
Rocks fall, Belkar dies.

Thor refuses to allow a True Resurrection spell on him, as does every other deity because Belkar has one friend.

And that friend is his animal companion.

thubby
2009-10-31, 03:11 PM
if you consider that all deaths of major characters thus far have been rather dramatic events, and belkar's only drama stems almost entirely from his shoeless-god-of-war moments, i would guess in a blaze of halfling rage-powered fury.

am i allowed to suggest he might get turned into an undead or is that a hanging offense?

Berserk Monk
2009-10-31, 03:17 PM
You're going to get disappointed again. Doubly.

(I'd offer a bet, but you never paid off our last one.)

I admit Belkar going to the same plane as Windstriker is unlikely, but Thog could totally replace Belkar. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but it's gotta be at least as likely as rolling a natural 20. The story arc of Thog and Elan getting to Azure City from Cliffport shows he can be controlled.

Kish
2009-10-31, 03:35 PM
am i allowed to suggest he might get turned into an undead or is that a hanging offense?
As long as you don't go on to suggest that said undead would remain on the same plane as the rest of the Order. (Belkar won't be in the world, in any form.)

I admit Belkar going to the same plane as Windstriker is unlikely, but Thog could totally replace Belkar. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but it's gotta be at least as likely as rolling a natural 20.

At least as likely as rolling a natural 20 on 1d4.

Cracklord
2009-10-31, 03:41 PM
Here's an idea, Belkar becomes a deity of some level. According to the book Deities and Demi-gods, Deities don't have to eat, sleep or breath.

The "Not long for this world" Part may refer to the possibility that he leaves for another plane to create a domain for himself. And he won't be paying taxes because he won't have any actual income

OK. Fine. Been done to death, but fine.

How?

Berserk Monk
2009-10-31, 03:48 PM
As long as you don't go on to suggest that said undead would remain on the same plane as the rest of the Order. (Belkar won't be in the world, in any form.)

At least as likely as rolling a natural 20 on 1d4.

You really think Rich is gonna kill off Thog after the Linear Guild is defeated? He has the mindset of a child. I don't think Rich would be that dark as to kill a Lennie for Of Mice and Men. I also don't think he'd survive on his own so someone's gonna have to look after him.

ericgrau
2009-11-01, 07:13 AM
Now that Roy's heard the prophecy, he's "waiting out the clock". So it's plausible that the order won't want to rez Belkar. He also told the Angel "What am I supposed to do, kill him in his sleep?" That seems to imply that while he wouldn't kill Beklar himself, he wouldn't mind if Belkar died.

Haley and Vaarsuivius are likewise likely to be on board for this. Durkon and Elan might object. Might.

Mugen Nightgale
2009-11-01, 07:33 AM
I think his hitpoints will reach 0 or less. And he'll die saying somenthing funny and the rest of the order will watch and have a moment of silence later. Then, life goes on in the strip and we'll get to see some of his afterlife. No undead, no Deity. Just normal, plain death.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-01, 07:47 AM
I object to the horriffically ironic death by bugs
If belkar dies then...why make it for doing good? sends the wrong message so hard! i mean theres a difference between heroic redemption and punishing the character for good deeds

thubby
2009-11-01, 07:47 AM
now that i think about it, what if he goes beyond the rift, to that other world?

Kish
2009-11-01, 10:24 AM
now that i think about it, what if he goes beyond the rift, to that other world?
Forever, and doesn't breathe there, eat cake, or pay taxes? It's possible, but it's still way more likely that he'll die and stay dead (notably, for the "doesn't breathe" part).

Yora
2009-11-01, 12:15 PM
What other indicators are there that Belkar will die, except that the oracle said so?
- A character in the story saying something, does not guarante that it will happen.
- Prophecies never mean the thing that you thought they would mean.
- The Oracle hates Belkar.
That seems very shaky at best to me.

Allan Surgite
2009-11-01, 12:25 PM
Right.

Some random shmuck said that Belkar would die.

Some random schmuck who calculates his own death to the very second and hires a Cleric/Wizard team to resurrect him after each one. I think it might be a tad more valid coming from the Oracle.

Zevox
2009-11-01, 12:52 PM
What other indicators are there that Belkar will die, except that the oracle said so?
Why on earth do you need anything else?

- A character in the story saying something, does not guarante that it will happen.
Oracle. Who, as Allan Aokage pointed out, can predict his own death precisely enough to hire Clerics well in advance to raise him every time it occurs. And who has a 100% accuracy track record with other predictions so far.

- Prophecies never mean the thing that you thought they would mean.
They do in this comic. Every prophecy the Oracle has given has been perfectly straightforward. Only Haley's was even metaphoric, and even it was by no means deceptive or complex.

So? It's not as though he has anything to gain by telling the group Belkar is going to die. They just forget it as soon as they leave the valley due to the memory charm anyway. Which, I might add, he put in place specifically because he didn't want anyone getting freebie predictions from his offhand statements during visits, which only makes any attempt to portray him as unreliable even sillier.

Zevox

Cracklord
2009-11-01, 02:51 PM

Doesn't everyone?

Incidently, the Oracle is the mouthpiece of the DM. Rich uses him to make forshadowing. He's not some random shmuck, he's a genuine, honest to gods oracle with a 100% track record.

I object to the horriffically ironic death by bugs
If belkar dies then...why make it for doing good? sends the wrong message so hard! i mean theres a difference between heroic redemption and punishing the character for good deeds
It sends the exact message it should. I HATE BELKAR

The Succubus
2009-11-01, 03:10 PM
Here is how I see Belkar's death:

* Colnel Mustard
* Candlestick
* Library

Case closed - /nods sagely.

Argeus
2009-11-01, 05:54 PM
I still believe he will have a Heroic (Sociopath) Sacrifice. Make that what you will.

Yora
2009-11-02, 01:39 PM
I'm not saying that it's all a lie and Belkar will stay with us 100% sure.
But I don't see what the point would be about removing him from the comic and continue without him.
Maybe I'm biased, but except for Roy, who stands in to advance the main plot, I think no character had been paided as much attention to as Belkar. And if Rich would not have great fun with him, he could just have kept him in the background like V and Durkon. And there are considerable number of people who just love Belkar. So why would he suddenly want to remove Belkar and still continue to give so much attention to him?

Yes, we hated Miko, but that was a very different kind of hate.

So Belkar dies? Sure, why not? But I don't see why he would be removed as a character.

Moogleking
2009-11-02, 03:14 PM
My bet? The party choose not to Ressurrect him, but that some how backfires. Maybe Belkar knows something of use? Maybe Belkar dies stopping V from possession? Maybe a hot ElanxBelkarxVaarsuvius threesome is the only thing they could truly offer the Snarl? Who knows.

Aemoth
2009-11-02, 04:15 PM
Belkar is going to get really REALLY pissed at Xykon for some smart comment our resident necromancer and smart-ass will say and it will cause Belkar to bull rush him into the snarl or some other weird joint-death. Everyone will be pissed at themselves for not being nice to Belkar after his "sacrifice" and they won't be able to rez him.

That's probably going to be one of the last pages of the series as it will begin to tie up all the loose ends of the story and plot.