PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Homebrew Divine Spells

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-28, 09:05 PM
Just like the thread title says, I'm looking for them. I'm building a character in 3.5/Pathfinder who is essentially inventing his own manner of casting divine spells (slightly refluffed Archivist). I'm wanting to start writing my own spells. They can be cleric, druid, ranger or paladin spells (we aren't using any other lists), but I'm wanting to introduce some uniqueness to his prayerbook.

Pointing me to lists would be just fine too.

dobu
2009-10-29, 04:30 AM
a friend of mine is playing an elf mystic theurge. his girlfriend plays a champion of Correlon, mounted on a griffin.

he invented the following spell for her:

Celedor's amplified Dragoon

Level: Pal 4, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) (see text)
Target: One humanoid rider and her mount (but see text)
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid rider and her mount (of whatever creature type it may be), doubling their respective heights and multiplying their respective weights by 8. This works just like enlarge person for the rider, however the mounts size category is effectively increased by +1, following the rules given in Table 4-2: Changes to Statistics by Size in Monster Manual I (p.291).

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creatures attain the maximum possible size and may each make a Strength check (using their increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If one of them fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it, the other one may still succeed in bursting these enclosures though. The spell cannot be used to crush a creature by increasing its size.

All equipment worn or carried by both creatures is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons affected by this spell deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves an enlarged creature’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage, and projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them. Magical properties of enlarged items are not increased by this spell.

If cast by a paladin, the range changes to personal and the target changes to you and your mount.

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

Celedor's Amplified Dragoon counters and dispels reduce person as well as any other size decreasing effects of equal or lower level.

Celedor's Amplified Dragoon can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Material Component:
A pinch of powdered hoof from a celestial dire horse.

Optimystik
2009-10-29, 07:44 AM
1) Pick your favorite effects from existing divine spells.
2) Mix, match and refluff.
3) Choose the school based on the new spell's primary effect.
4) If you find yourself asking "should SR apply to this?" the answer is probably yes.
5) ???
6) Profit

Set
2009-10-29, 07:57 AM
Does he have a specific diety?

If so, spells related to his diety's favored weapon (either that create big flaming versions thereof to smite his foes, or spells that buff up his combat skills with that specific weapon, allowing him the use of a Fighter feats for a brief time) could be appropriate.

Spells related to his dieties spheres of influence would also make sense. Not just Domains, but those areas of concern that Domains don't always perfectly line up with, like tyranny or vengeance or love or fertility.

Check out various Outsiders that might be associated with the diety, and copy some of their abilities, such as the Protective Aura of an Angel, or the Aura of Menace of an Archon, Demonic or Diabolic Summoning abilities (which conveniently have spell level equivalents, in some cases), the Outsider trait of telepathic communication, or various specific abilities, like a spell that allows the priest to assume a whirlwind or light-globe form like an Eladrin, or to fire two light rays a round like a Lantern Archon for 1 round / level or something.

Ooh, I like that Light Ray one, actually. Make it a 2nd level spell, and when the priest gets it he gets 3 rounds of two 1d6 light rays a round. As he increases in level, the duration increases, and while the damage remains low, it's effective against most creatures and it beats the heck out of firing the old crossbow.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-29, 10:19 AM
He does have a deity, but he's devoted to her mostly by default. She's the goddess of knowledge and wisdom and he picked her because her tenets were mostly what he was going to do with his life anyway.

I like that Dragoon one Sobu. I've got some friends playing who will be on griffons when we get to level 11 and I'm sure they'll love that. I'm sure they and their horses wouldn't mind it now.

I hadn't even thought of looking at Su abilities and converting them into spells. That's a pretty good idea. Keep 'em coming.