PDA

View Full Version : C++ rapid question

pendell
2009-10-28, 09:39 PM
I am looking at an important test and I see the following question:

"You can implement the GUI with any major GUI package: wxWidgets, Qt, GTK+, MFC, etc."

I have 5 days to complete this. I am working on MING (linux-like) environment on a windows XP system I want to use a "major GUI package" that

A) has a minimum need to fight with the operating system (want to spend the time CODING, not $^#$%##% with Micro$oft)

B) has a rapid spin-up time (I've done TCL/TK and Java before)

C) is freeware.

Suggestions?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MethosH
2009-10-28, 09:45 PM
First I'll redirect you to our new programming thread
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129768

Second... I would suggest you to use QT with the QT Desinger or GTK using Glade to make the interface.

I'm not sure what you want to do, but I think both can solver your problem.

pendell
2009-10-28, 11:24 PM

It's for a job interview. This company likes to hand out short programming contests to weed out the weak before going to the face-to-face interview. Most of the tasks are fairly straightforward but I haven't built many GUIs directly with C++ -- if I'm in a hurry I'll use Java, TCL/TK or Visual Basic.

I don't need any help with the actual *programming*. I just needed a good GUI package to spin up with. I think I'll go with QT because I've had fun with GTK before, and installing the massive prerequisite chain (pango, atk, gdk, others) can be a nightmare, and I only have 5 days. 4 days, now.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2009-10-31, 01:22 AM
First I'll redirect you to our new programming thread
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129768

Second... I would suggest you to use QT with the QT Desinger or GTK using Glade to make the interface.

MethosHazara, you have won the Internet. It took me 4 hours to get the GUI portion of the program working -- which, considering I had to install it and learn it from scratch -- is excellent. QT was very good to me. That was an excellent recommendation.

I'm glad, because GTK has a large prerequisite chain (Pango, ATK, GDK, others). The last time I installed GTK, it took me a full day to iron out all the packaging details. I didn't have a full day. I had a 5 day deadline. I needed something that would work out of the box on my system (Windows XP with MINGW) the first time, and it did.

So again, good call. Have some cake.

Respectfully,

Brian P.