PDA

View Full Version : Continental Drift - An Evil D&D 3.5 Adventure/Campaign

godsown91
2009-10-28, 11:42 PM
The war is finally over. For the first time in almost a decade, the Yatsanai Empire and the various powers of the Continent know peace. But even in this time of tranquility, very little is truly well in the world. Refugees, driven from their homes by marauding armies, struggle daily to feed themselves and their families. Crime is rising, and the cities have become boiling pots for dissent.

It is a time in desperate need of a hero. And, in the Western provinces of Imperial Atrum, in the small town of Halry, one such hero seems to have arisen, in the form of a boy, gifted with mysterious powers and preternatural charisma, said to be able to command monsters and call upon the might of the gods. A crusade has formed around the child, and they are headed to the capital, to present the boy to the Emperor and allow him to proclaim his rightful place as the ruler of Atrum.

In a quarry, north of Halry, a nobleman hires a team of criminals to investigate the boy and learn his true origins and intentions and, if necessary, end his threat...

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Every tale must have a beginning. And for the tale of this dirty half-dozen, perhaps it's better to begin at the beginning...

The Staufen quarry, to the north of Halry, is an absolutely miserable place. Every day, you are awoken at four in the morning by a quarry foreman, placed in a line, and shuffled to the cafeteria, where you are fed a hunk of stale bread and just enough watery soup to keep you alive and able to work. After ten minutes eating time, you're immediately sent into to work, chained to rocks and each other, hacking away at the walls and floors or carving the rock into useful shapes. It's miserable, backbreaking work that does not stop, not matter what the weather. There's not even a chance to escape; decades of miners have dug at this pit, and the walls at the tallest level are higher than the tallest of you could dare hope to climb. Those of you with any magical talent know that this place is heavily enchanted; years worth of complex spells are the only thing keeping this place from collapsing.

After it gets too dark to properly see, you're shuffled back into your cafeteria, fed more stale bread and watery soup, then shuffled back into your well-carved cells to await another day. And, as you lie on your bunk and stare at the ceiling, you begin to fall into despair at the though that, until the day you die, this will be your life.

This day is much like any other day. As predictably as the tides, you hear the voice of the foreman acting as your human alarm.

"Rise and shine, convicts! It's a fine day out there; wouldn't want to waste it!"

Even from here, you can hear the sound of rain falling hard and heavy outside.

Goblinsplitter
2009-10-29, 12:09 AM
Valdemar mumbles a few select swear words under his breath, "I'd like to waste you, you..." he proceeds to mumble curse filled remarks concerning his pedigree and the guard's mother.

Derjuin
2009-10-29, 12:19 AM
Melana groans and rolls over, nearly falling off the "bed" and utters a string of curses, and something about 'Those damned hats'. "Rain, perfect. It almost makes a bad day into a not-so-bad day." She mumbles as she sits up, trying to clear her head of fogginess before standing.

Goblinsplitter
2009-10-29, 12:41 AM
"Dontcha mean a bad day into an even badder day?" Valdemar says grumpily.

godsown91
2009-10-29, 12:41 AM
Valdemar mumbles a few select swear words under his breath, "I'd like to waste you, you..." he proceeds to mumble curse filled remarks concerning his pedigree and the guard's mother.

One of the guards accompanying the foreman, who looks like some kind of horrible mash-up of any and every race you can think of, twitches its large, pointed ears and smashes its baton into the bars of your cell.

"Silence, convict! You will not speak unless directed to!" it squeaks.

OOC: I shall await the rest of the group to post tomorrow. See you then.:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Chineselegolas
2009-10-29, 05:02 AM
Changing his appearance to mimic the Foremans, Jim stood and taking a step forward to lean on the bars said with over the top enthusiasm, in the Foremans voice "Rise and shine, convicts! It's a fine day out there; wouldn't want to waste it!", before folding his arms and changing to an elven appearance. Looking at the guard squeaking for silence, Jim rolled his eyes.

[roll0] To look like the Foreman and mimic his voice.

Derjuin
2009-10-29, 06:42 AM
"You could be right. But I try to think on the very slightly luminescent side of bad, so each day doesn't feel like complete drudgery, only partial." She whispers, trying not to draw the ire of the foreman's guards.

industrious
2009-10-29, 07:52 AM
Jackson Anderson, or as everybody in the room knows him, Vincent Valjean, lies face-up on his cramped, uncomfortable bed. "Oh, the joys of manual labor. Makes me feel like I never left home."

godsown91
2009-10-29, 10:26 AM
"Shut Up!" screams the foreman. The armed guards begin herding you out of your cells and into the line.

As Jim walks past, the foreman belts him in the back of the head with his club, sending you to the ground. "That's for being smart, convict. Now, back of the line with ya today. Move it!" Jim is now in an almost staggering amount of pain.

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-29, 10:41 AM
Sekt

Sekt groggily awoke, before running the same analysis he did every day. He could probably take out a few guards before being overcome, but he didn't LIKE the idea of becoming a crossbow bolt storage space. So once more he went along with it. He couldn't help but chuckle at Jim's imitation of the foreman, and he couldn't help but laugh loudly when the foreman whacked him over the head. "Ah, it's the little things that keep me sane."

godsown91
2009-10-29, 10:59 AM
Sekt

Sekt groggily awoke, before running the same analysis he did every day. He could probably take out a few guards before being overcome, but he didn't LIKE the idea of becoming a crossbow bolt storage space. So once more he went along with it. He couldn't help but chuckle at Jim's imitation of the foreman, and he couldn't help but laugh loudly when the foreman whacked him over the head. "Ah, it's the little things that keep me sane."

"Keep your mouth shut, ya dirty Nek, or you'll get worse! Now move it, lovelies! Time for breakfast!"

Mirku
2009-10-29, 11:36 AM
Jack sighed as he moved on order of the foreman. "I wish we'd get some meat instead of the crap they serve us," he said loudly as he walked in line towards the cafeteria. "Ain't that right Ji-," he stopped as he saw him in pain and laughed a bit in himself, his sadistic personality shining through as usual.

industrious
2009-10-29, 11:55 AM
"Crap? What crap? My dear fellow, don't you know? Here at Staufen quarry, they only serve the finest in prison food." No matter the circumstances, no matter what he was calling himself, Jackson Anderson would always be sarcastic.

godsown91
2009-10-29, 12:20 PM
A club bounces off your head.

"Are you deaf, convict, or just stupid? Next one of you to say anything, I'm throwing you in the Box! Now, move!"

You are all moved into the cafeteria and slowly given your food. Anyone attempting to eat before everyone else is seated gets a club to the knuckles. Finally, when Jim gets to the front, he's given soup that might as well just be flavored water, and a hunk of break only SLIGHTLY less hard than the rock you'll be chipping away at today. Finally, when everyone's seated, the foreman addresses you.

"Well, everyone, I hope you're happy; thanks to the wiseass," he points at Jim, "you've only got THREE MINUTES to eat today. Enjoy!"

Derjuin
2009-10-29, 01:39 PM
Melana grins despite the awful time restraint, but quickly remembers how important eating is and tosses the bread into her soup, before eating as noiselessly quickly as she can.

industrious
2009-10-29, 04:34 PM
Jackson wonders how the guard can manage to keep time that precisely. While eating his "food," he looks around for some sort of time-keeping device.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Mirku
2009-10-29, 04:40 PM
Jack took the rock hard bread and broke it with his bare hand before dropping the crumbs in his watery soup and gulping it down. "Look at that I have minutes to spare!" he said as wiped his mouth.

Chineselegolas
2009-10-29, 04:44 PM
Rubbing the back of his head, Jim got back to his feet, and changing his face black and white resembling that of a mine, found himself encased on all sides by invisible intangible walls. Pausing in his wall patting for a moment, he raised a hand to his ear as though straining to hear something, and not, changed back to the elven appearance.

Getting to the front of the line to receive his 'soup' and bread, he dropped the bread into his soup while walking back to his seat, leaving it to soak and soften for as long as possible. Taking on a Dwarven face, Jim sat next to Valdemar then muttering under his breath in dwarven tapping on the bread "Just like the bread at home"

Upon being pointed out as the cause for the reduced time, Jim stood with his back to the foreman, and shifting his appearance to that of the foreman once more, bowed, then seated himself quickly returning his appearance to the dwarven form before the foreman could move to see his face.

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-29, 05:00 PM
Sekt

Sekt scowled at the foreman as he issues his edict. He glanced down at the 'food' given to him. Despite his time surviving on naught but similar cuisine, he couldn't swallow it easily. His tastes were still too suited to real food. He forced the soup down quickly, but couldn't bite the bread, and tossed it aside, trying to make sure the foreman couldn't accuse him of 'wasting food'.

godsown91
2009-10-29, 06:05 PM
Jackson spots bugger-all in terms of timepieces.

"Alright, convicts, times up! Get back in line!" You are all huddled back into line and taken outside. The guards all wear hooded cloaks that protect them from the rain. You, by contract, are stuck in your rough tunics.

You are chained to at least one other inmate and one rock, then set to working expanding the quarry's walls. The rain is falling hard, and the guards largely leave you alone, with only one man patrolling past you every ten or so minutes. The smell of wet rock is absolutely atrocious.

Jackson is stuck next to a man with long, white hair and numerous scars on his face. He seems to be mumbling something.

industrious
2009-10-29, 06:34 PM
Leaning down, Jackson moves closer to the old man, trying to figure out what he's saying.

taking 10 on Listen check (13)

godsown91
2009-10-29, 06:40 PM
"'sall right, mother, I'm working...I'm working...I'm working..." He notices you leaning in. "No, no, no, get back to work! GET BACK TO WORK! They'll see! THEY'LL SEE!"

Chineselegolas
2009-10-29, 06:45 PM
Digging away at the rock, Jim paid little attention to the others, merely changing his face with each blow to one of the guards or warders or anyone who had wronged him, picturing them as the rock before each blow.

industrious
2009-10-29, 06:45 PM
"Now, now old man, I'm just trying to help, see? It's okay, everything's okay." Jackson leans back from the old man, and continues working.

Diplomacy check: [roll0]

godsown91
2009-10-29, 06:59 PM
The old man in clearly crazy; your words have no effect on him.

"NO! NO! DON'T HURT ME MOTHER! DON'T HURT ME! NOT THE BOX! NOT THE BOX!"

The patrol passes behind you; you can hear them chuckling.

As they pass by Jim, he can hear them betting on what will happen first: the old man, Magnus, driving Jackson insane, or Jackson driving the pick through Magnus' head. So far, Magnus is apparently 5-0.

industrious
2009-10-29, 07:03 PM
Trying to ignore the man, Jackson gets back to smashing rocks, all the while thinking to himself that
If only I had my pocketwatch, this would be a much different situation.

Derjuin
2009-10-29, 07:40 PM
Melana chuckles to herself as the clearly crazy old man starts speaking louder and louder, whimpering about his mother and a box. Glad I'm not next to that crazy old fart. I'd probably have smashed his head open by now, She thinks to herself as she swings at the rock-to-be-smashed.

Just then, she starts imagining each rock in front of her as the head of a guard, or the foreman, or that crazy guy, or any of the other folks at the prison whose miseries are more annoying than entertaining, and mouths a "sklorch" sound each time one is smashed.

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-29, 08:14 PM
Sekt

Sekt maintained a focused mindset on the meaningless task before him. He doubted that they even used most of the rock they broke, but if he didn't do it... well, the cuisine was the least of his worry. If he felt safe casting spells, he could always make the day more entertaining, but as it were, he simply cracked one rock after another, exercising his feeble sorcerous muscles.

Chineselegolas
2009-10-29, 08:37 PM
Rolling his eyes at the guards comments as they walked behind him, Jim continued to dig away at the rock, letting his mind wander freely away from the toil, to the more pleasant days of the past, painted rosier with time.

godsown91
2009-10-29, 09:14 PM
As Melana is saying this, she notices out of the corner of her eye a group of people making their way down a ladder into the quarry. One of them is lavishly dressed, maybe even noble. He stops to talk with the foreman, who first looks ecstatic to see him, then increasingly less so. As they begin to walk, she can pick up their conversations.

"...get this straight, Governor; you want to FREE some of these low-lifes? Do you know what they had ta do to get in here?"

"Believe me, I do indeed, and while I don't find this any more palatable than you, I'm afraid there's just no way around it. All this crusade business..."

"But CONVICTS, milord!"

"Yes, yes, I've heard it bef...you!" he points at Melana. "You seem healthy and sane enough. I will be needing your assistance."

Mirku
2009-10-30, 07:07 PM
Jack looks behind his back, 'Some noble looking swine's talking to the foreman..' he thought to himself as he chipped away at the rocks with ease.

He kept discreetly looking at the foreman and noble behind his back and tries to catch what they're saying.
[roll0]

industrious
2009-10-30, 08:09 PM
Shushing the crazy man attached to him, Jackson cranes his head in an attempt to listen to what the nobleman is saying.

Listen Check [roll0]

godsown91
2009-10-30, 10:45 PM
The rain is falling far too hard for either of you to clearly make it out.

Derjuin
2009-10-30, 11:46 PM
"Me?" Melana says, somewhat awkwardly and surprised. "Does that mean I'm gettin' out of here?" She almost gawks at the nobly-dressed man, as she thinks about how her future of smashing rocks 'till the day she dies is suddenly shaken from its "definite" position.

godsown91
2009-10-31, 05:58 AM
The nobleman rolls his eyes.

"No, I mean the extremely healthy gentleman standing next to you." Next to you stands a man with about as much muscle mass as a housecat. "Yes, I mean you! I have need of you. Guards, unshackle her and bring her to me."

The guards rather nervously release you from your bonds and walk you, swords at the ready, towards the nobleman.

"Young lady, you seem..." he gives you the once-over, "...comparatively fit and sane, given the diseased and gibbering lot you now inhabit. I shall allow you to assist me in my task. I require the services of five of your fellow convicts, plus yourself. I request your help in selecting the men most able for my task."

Chineselegolas
2009-10-31, 06:08 AM
Shifting his appearance to that of the Governor, Jim continued to drive his pick into the rocks, exerting more effort than before.

[roll0]

Mirku
2009-10-31, 09:12 AM
Since Jack couldn't hear anything he turns around and starts digging with more effort. 'The foreman will be pissed if I slow down while he has important company.'

Derjuin
2009-10-31, 09:42 AM
"Five others, hmm." Melana looks back at the group of rock-smashers, trying to remember all their names.

"I'd pick Jack, Jim, Jackson, Sekt, and...Valdemar." She says, pointing to each one as she says their name. "Last time I checked, they're the more fit bunch here. And more sane, I think."

godsown91
2009-10-31, 10:12 AM
The nobleman nods, and the guards go off the gather the others. "Alright, young lady. Please follow me to..." he thinks for a second. "I believe there's a guard barracks not far from here. Please follow me there, and I shall explain to you and your group exactly what it is I want you to do." Without another word, the Governor turns and begins walking.

Eternal Kanus
2009-10-31, 10:29 AM
Sekt

Upon being released, Sekt first bows to the nobleman, then to Melana. As they walk towards the barracks, he speaks quietly to her. "Thank you for this. Have you ever wanted an undead minion? In repayment for this I'll try and get you one once I am able."

Derjuin
2009-10-31, 11:05 AM
"An undead minion, hmm...I don't know, I'll have to think about it." She whispers back to Sekt, trying to balance in her mind the pros and cons of having a rotting, stinky corpse around that does her bidding. She quickly follows the nobleman, smiling gleefully nonetheless.

industrious
2009-10-31, 01:06 PM
After being released from his chains, Jackson rubs at his wrists. "Thank you very much. While I was never guilty of the crime I was accused of, and this freedom implies that I was, I am grateful for the opportunity to leave this place."

godsown91
2009-10-31, 01:21 PM
After being released from his chains, Jackson rubs at his wrists. "Thank you very much. While I was never guilty of the crime I was accused of, and this freedom implies that I was, I am grateful for the opportunity to leave this place."

"I'm sure you are." The nobleman's servant, who had accompanied the guards, leads you to the barracks and stands outside.

OOC: Industrious, make me a Spot roll.

industrious
2009-10-31, 01:42 PM

godsown91
2009-10-31, 02:18 PM
You notice, as you pass through the entrance to the barracks, that the man has on his hip a very, very well-made sword. Based on his stance, you can guess that he's had at least a little training with it, and is very prepared to use it. In your many years as a conman, you've seen this type before; they don't let anything get past them. If you try anything funny, you are quite sure, you'll be missing a spleen the instant you're found out.

Chineselegolas
2009-11-01, 02:38 AM
Shifting his appearance to a generic male form, Jim stretched his limbs, then breathed deep and smelt the fresh air outside of the quarry for the first time in many years.
Keeping his head about him, Jim kept an eye open for small gatherings to disappear into if the opportunity arose

[roll0]

godsown91
2009-11-01, 03:23 PM
The brush around the quarry has been completely cleared away. If you tried to run, you would have no place to hide for quite a while. This being in essence a giant prison, such lengths are mandatory.

industrious
2009-11-01, 03:26 PM
Jackson follows the servant to the barracks without incident.

Derjuin
2009-11-01, 04:08 PM
"So what's this business about helping? What do you want us to do for you?" Melana says as she enters the barracks, glancing around the room before looking back to the nobleman.

Mirku
2009-11-01, 04:10 PM
Jack follows the rest of the group, looking for an opening to escape that wasn't there. 'I wonder what this is all about though,' he thought to himself.

godsown91
2009-11-01, 04:50 PM
OOC: Assuming that Gob is there, in order to get the plot rolling.

"Ah yes, you are all here. Good. Now, I have called you here to offer you a unique deal; a one-way ticket out of this prison. Your life sentences shall be revoked, your criminal records shall be burned, and you shall be allowed to go free, wherever you choose. Provided, of course, that you do me one small service."

Mirku
2009-11-01, 06:03 PM
(this is starting to remind me of black hearts)

"What service? I can't imagine why you'd require a bunch of black hearts like us in your service," Jack said with a suspicious tone.

godsown91
2009-11-01, 06:19 PM
"Ah yes, you would not have heard. As of recently, there has been...let us call is a massive religious movement...born among the citizens of Halry. As you probably know, times have been hard as of late, and there is much resentment for the state for somehow not making it better. People want a messiah, and according to rumor, one is said to have arisen in the form of a young boy. Half the town has risen in a so-called "crusade" to take the boy to the capital and make him emperor, from what I have gathered.

It is said that he is the avatar of Tetagamrraton, or Atah, or whatever god you can name, or all of them at once. The rumors that have reached us have led us to wonder if that might not be true. So, I have decided to hire you to discover this boy's origins, what he wants, and, if necessary, to kill him and remove a threat our Empire could stand to lack."

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-01, 06:36 PM
Sekt

Sekt enters the barracks without incident. As the noble explains his job for the uncouth alliance, a wide smile grows on his face. "I will be the first to offer my services in pursuit of this goal. I believe it to be a fair deal."

industrious
2009-11-01, 07:31 PM
During the nobleman's speech, Jackson listens politely, his face not betraying any of the calculations going through the con man's mind.

"I'm hardly a 'black heart', as Jack so succulently put it. I am but a humble trader, a purveyor of goods and services. But, I too agree. As you, say, for the good of the Empire. Vincent Valjean is always willing to defend her borders."

godsown91
2009-11-01, 08:26 PM
The Governor nods, and gives a little smile.

"Always nice to see patriotism among the lowest of us. Now, I must warn you that there are some...restrictions. Until you have completed the first part of your mission, you will not be allowed to leave the town. And even when and if you do, your records will not be struck until either the crusade's claims are verified or the boy is removed. If you try to run off on me, I will have you shot, have your heads put on pikes, send in the armies, and hope for the best. I hope you understand." He does not look at all sympathetic.

"Now, you shall be released into the custody of the guards, who shall restore your equipment, give you...ten gold each, I'd say...and let you loose. When you are ready to make a report, come to my mansion in the center of town and my clark will show you in. Be aware also that I will not be helping in the slightest; if this boy really is of the gods, I do not plan on opposing them. Should you try to use my influence in your mission, I will deny all knowledge of you. Is this understood?"

Chineselegolas
2009-11-01, 08:28 PM
Jim nodded saying "Its not much but much better than we had back in that hole in the ground."

godsown91
2009-11-01, 11:14 PM
"Indeed." He calls for the guards, who escort you to the storage chamber, where you get back the following:

@ Derjuin: You get back your Other Items section, minus the mirror, oil, lamp, and bolts.

@ Kanus: You get back your backpack, bedroll, and whatever robe you happened to be wearing at the time.

@ Gob: You regain your backpack and whatever outfit you were wearing when caught.

@ Chineselegolas: You regain everything but your lamp, oil, weaponry, and armor.

@ Industrus: You regain your outfit and a battered brass pocketwatch.

@ Mirku: You had nothing but your clothes, and that's all you get.

The guards, grudgingly, escort you back to the town gates and make sure you go through them. You are informed often during the trip that the guards wish to the gods that you try to escape; letting you run loose in the city doesn't hold much with them. They only leave you behind when you're under the eye of the City Watch, and stand just outside the city gate until it closes behind you.

You are surrounded on all sides by homes in various states of decay. A vast number of people fill the street, and the stench of the city assaults your nostrils at every turn. For those of you who favor the countryside, it's almost impossible to bear. For you city-folk, it's the welcome scent of your home turf.

Chineselegolas
2009-11-02, 12:59 AM
Breathing deeply, Jim look around letting the city soak into him, feeling the eb and flow. "First things first, I'm getting me some weapons" he said, fingering the coins in his pocket, "Who knows when they could come in handy. And some other clothes, changing appearance is pointless when clothes stay the same." Looking at the City Watch he continued "How much reign of the city do we have?, do we need to have one of you trudging after us, or is it a check in every blah hours. What are the local criminal dives, I've been out of the city for far too long for most my contacts to still be around."

godsown91
2009-11-02, 10:25 AM
The guards, annoyed with your blatant criminality, do not answer. One of them finally opens his mouth.

"Best get movin', son. Loitering's a two-gold fine in Halry these days. Too many bad sorts here nowadays. If ya want my advise, go find an inn or somethin', before it gets dark and ya end up in some crime lord's territory after dark."

Chineselegolas
2009-11-02, 06:27 PM
"Well from where we arrived, its obvious that we either have a powerful friend, or are working for someone powerful, whose identity you either know, or is above what you are allowed to know" Jim said, falling back into his fast talking ways from his fast talking days, "And as I'm sure you've encountered some of them before, they are notoriously short of patience, thus any assistance would be smiled upon" Looking at the displeasure on the guards faces Jim smiles and decides another tact, "The sooner we get this task done, the sooner you'll be allowed to lets us leave down and some of the bad sorts will be gone for this town for good"

godsown91
2009-11-02, 06:35 PM
The guards look at each other, hold a quick and quiet whispered conversation, then turn back to you.

"Well, closest criminal dive's the Hole-in-tha-Boat. Just keep goin'; ya literally can't miss it. Wouldn't know about the rest of it. Respectable people live in th' eastern part of tha city, so I wouldn't know about tha rest. Now, get on with ya, or I'll fine ya for loiterin'."

industrious
2009-11-02, 09:29 PM
Drawing his outfit closer to him, Jackson shudders. "I've never been inside a criminal bar before," he muses. "Is there some sort of etiquette that I need to follow?"

OoC: Why am I playing Jackson this way? Because he's a con man.

Goblinsplitter
2009-11-03, 06:48 PM
Valdemar grumbles and mumbles to himself about his missing belongings. Then he proclaims, "Me sword! Ya bastards! What did ya do with my sword!? I forged that with my own two hands!" then he trails off mumbling and grumbling about the worthless gits and obscenities in several languages.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-03, 09:38 PM
Sekt

The necromancer grins as the dwarf mumbles angrily, his hand lightly surging with negative energy. "Well at the very least, I am not defenseless. And I must admit I cannot assist you in the manners of underclass etiquette, the crimes for which I was imprisoned were more... personal, as it were?"

industrious
2009-11-03, 09:45 PM
"Oh, to have fallen in with such a crowd. Thus do the gods punish the honest merchant. What have I done to deserve this fate?" Jackson then begins walking towards the bar. "If it were done when 'tis done, then t'were well. It were done quickly."

Goblinsplitter
2009-11-03, 10:14 PM
Valdemar grumbles more, "Cease your unnecessary tongue wagging..." Valdemar proceeds to mumble and grumble about his unwanted companions.

Derjuin
2009-11-03, 10:20 PM
"Curses," Melana mumbled as her pile of returned equipment seemed awfully void of her weapons. "That flail was what put me in here; I was at least hoping to get it back. Oh well."

As she leaves the city gate, she takes in a deep breath and nearly coughs. "Ah, the stench of civilization. How it fills the nose and reminds you how dirty other people can be."

Just as she is about to start walking, Melana remembers her current state of weaponless-ness, and turns to the guards behind the group of ex-prisoners. "Would any of you folks know where in this town a lady could find a place to purchase a new weapon?" She asks, to any of the guards.

Chineselegolas
2009-11-04, 05:58 AM
Nodding at the guard, Jim gave a simple, "Thank you for your time then officer", before turning and walking down the street saying over his shoulder to the rest of the 'employees', "I'll be at the Hole-in-tha-Boat in an hour if you guys need me and aren't following", as he wandered off, ducking into a side alley, a half-orc wandering out of the alley, wearing the same clothes Jim was moments before.

Mirku
2009-11-04, 05:25 PM
'Heh.. weapons..these are my weapons' Jack thought to himself as he kissed his knuckles. "I'm going to the inn for some real meat and the finest beverage known to man. Adieu," he said to the group before wandering off towards the Hole-in-tha-boat, playing with the coins in his pockets along the way.

godsown91
2009-11-05, 08:46 AM
The Hole-in-the-Boat is a literal hole in a boat; a somehow grounded ship in the middle of the city, with a door carved into one side. Parts of it have rotted away long ago, but the main body remains relatively intact.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-05, 11:02 PM
Sekt

Sekt frowns as the group begins to splinter, before turning to the few that remain. "Aren't we trying to accomplish something? You know, to avoid going back where we came from? I don't exactly trust the others to not waste time at that bar drinking away our scant funds. And I don't trust that shapeshifter to not be across town by now."

industrious
2009-11-05, 11:25 PM
"I won't be drinking, to say for certain. I'm merely going there in hopes of establishing some sort of trade, opening up some new opportunities for my business when I am free. At least, I hope that's what will happen. Do you think I'll get stabbed? I can't bear to be stabbed."

With those parting words, Jackson Anderson, known as Franz Milverton to the bartender of the Hole-in-the-Boat, walked into the criminal hangout, fidgeting all the while.

Derjuin
2009-11-06, 01:35 PM
"I don't feel safe walking around town weaponless, to say the least." Melana looks down the street, hoping to spot a weapon shop somewhere close. "Especially if the others think going to a criminal bar is what we should do. I wouldn't walk in there without something to hurt someone with, just in case."

Mirku
2009-11-06, 04:18 PM
'I see how this place got its name..' Jack thought as he entered The Hole-in-the-Boat. He quickly scanned the room for the bartender and approached him. "Good day to you sir, I'll have a tankard of ale and a nice piece of meat to go with it," Jack said impatiently.

Goblinsplitter
2009-11-06, 11:45 PM
"I'm with ya lass. These can be some mean streets." says Valdemar, gruffly.

godsown91
2009-11-08, 05:31 PM
@Those in the Bar

This rather dark and dingy establishment is mostly empty, save for a couple rough-looking men in a corner playing at dice. The barkeep nods at you as he swabs a dirty-looking mug with an equally dirty-looking rag.

"Oh," he mutters, noticing Jack, "'s you." He does not look pleased to see you. "What'cha want? Ya actually gonna pay this time?"

@ Those looking for Weaponry

You do manage to find a blacksmith's shop that sells blades.

Mirku
2009-11-08, 06:37 PM
"Of course of course my good man, my days of dancing for food are long gone. Now I'd like a good chunk of meat and a mug of ale, and make it quick will you," Jack said making gestures while talking, a habit of him that never seems to go away.

Chineselegolas
2009-11-08, 07:45 PM
Walking up next to Jack, Jim growled everytime he exhaled, leaning over to lean on the counter. "I'm looking for information on the boy, who should I see and what is the price?" he said, cutting straight to the point

industrious
2009-11-08, 07:48 PM
"Umm...hello? I ddddon't ssupppose thhhat therre's aannny wwwine ttttto be hhahahahhaad?" The con man is deliberately playing up his "humble merchant" guise. Hopefully, he wouldn't get into a fight here. That would force him to reveal his abilities, and the last thing Jackson wanted to do was reveal just how good he was...unless he really really needed to.

Goblinsplitter
2009-11-08, 09:51 PM
"I dun have much in the way of coin, but I know me way around the forge; could I forge me own weapons, and in trade I craft ya some blades?" asks Valdemar, hopeful as he eyes the man's forge.

godsown91
2009-11-09, 01:17 AM
@ The bar lot

The barman glowers at Jack for a moment, before handing him a cut of meat, slightly undercooked, and the mug he was just cleaning full of ale. "Four silver the lot." The customer cared for, the entirely un-perturbed barman faces Jim.

"Oh yeah, 'cause I keep tabs on ev'ry urchin what comes by me pub! Cities filled with boys, lad; bes' get to specifics, afore people start thinkin' you're after that "crusade" watchacallit!" he chuckles to himself as he gets Jackson's wine. "Finest wine here, lad; five silver."

@ The blacksmith group (specifically Gob)

The smith, a big Yanul man, shakes his head at your request. You notice he has a plank of wood in his hand.

"My great apologies, friend," he rumbles, "but I can not. I am afraid that I have been stolen from; you caught me just as I was to put up the sign. All they have left me were a few showpieces and my forge. Unless you can afford the iron you wish, I cannot help you."

Mirku
2009-11-09, 11:07 AM
Jack hands over a gold coin and receives his change. He then quickly eats the piece of meat and chugs down the ale. "The finest cuisine like always, now I take my leave to search for clues among the civilians, I'll return when it turns dark," Jack said to Jim and Jackson(lot of J's here). He then moved to wander the street, searching information about their target.
Gather Information [roll0]

(Since such an action usually lasts 1d4+1 hour it might turn dark before the action is completed, so in that case feel free to have Jack find nothing or increase the DC for the limited time)

industrious
2009-11-09, 11:42 AM
Once Jack leaves, Jackson Anderson takes a seat at the bar, and whispers to the bartender. "It's Milverton. You owe me a new rapier, since the deal went south. And we need all the information you have about some new messiah-like figure in the village. A young boy."

Bluff Check: [roll0]
Gather Information Check: [roll1]

godsown91
2009-11-09, 03:30 PM
@Mirku

While you manage to reveal in about three seconds that you're new here, it's fairly common knowledge what's happened. You manage to find an Avadimaran beggar who is far too drunk to remember to ask for coin.

"Ya see," he says, "me brother's wife's sister's nephew's best mate's elder brother's kid said he hear from him..." the long line of who heard from who goes on for a long time.

@Jackson

The bartender's eyes darken when you mention who you're looking for info on.

"You ain't holding no truck with the crusade, are ya? I'm a Tetagamrratonian, I am; have been since I was a boy. Can't be truckin' with false gods and such, and I ain't sendin' them any help..." he stumbles over his words for a second, then reconsiders. "Tell me you ain't keen on joinin' them, and I'll help."

industrious
2009-11-09, 03:45 PM
"No truck. Just business. As for the rapier..."

godsown91
2009-11-09, 04:15 PM
"No truck. Just business. As for the rapier..."

"Yeah...yeah; got one in the back. Drunk soldier left in behind. Now I'm just gonna make this clear before I go any further: if after you clear out, I get a lightning bolt hurtled at me, I swear to the gods I will still find a way to make your life miserable..." he takes another look at the roughs in the corner.

"Get your blade, and come back at closin'. There's some people what don't want much talk about it, if ya get what I mean."

industrious
2009-11-09, 04:32 PM
"Until then." Leaning back into his barstool, Jackson once more effects his disguise. "SSSorrrry, sssirr, fffor bbbbothering y...yyyou. Heading out the back, he picks up his new rapier, and briskly walks to the nearest armory.

godsown91
2009-11-09, 05:01 PM
There is, indeed, a general store that does have a couple sets of leather armor on display.

Derjuin
2009-11-09, 05:49 PM
"No weapons at all? Not-a-one left?" Melana furrows her brow in annoyance; she didn't like it when others' misfortune inconvenienced her. "Is there no where else in this town to buy a weapon? I feel naked without something in my hand that can smash a head when I need it to."

industrious
2009-11-09, 06:25 PM
Heading into the general store, Jackson burst inside with a merry spring in his step, and gaiety on his face. "Praise be to thee, good shopkeeper, for I have the privilege of informing you of the Lord child's-praise be to Him-will. In his infinite wisdom, he hast humbly asked thee to procure a suit of leathered armor for him. Wilst thou allow me to deliver the goods onto Him?"

Bluff check: [roll0]
Diplomacy check(if needed): [roll1]

godsown91
2009-11-09, 09:01 PM
@Industrious

"..sir, what are you doing? If you want to buy something, drop the stupid act. Or at least learn how to in the first place. You're lucky I'm not old Iera up the stress. His sister went off with the crusade; he'd probably crack your skull in if you tried that bit on him.

Now, you want a suit of leather armor? Very well; fifteen gold, please."

@Derjuin

The blacksmith shakes his head sadly.

"I am sorry, little one. Good metal is scarce these days, and it would cost a small fortune to replace what I have lost. The best I could do is give you my spare forge hammer. It would not be much of a weapon, but it would, I think, do as you wish."

industrious
2009-11-09, 09:32 PM
The con man shrugs. Sitting down, he apologizes for his deception. "I don't think you'd be amazed at how often that works. The way times are, people are always looking to some savior or other to get them out of hardship. I'll admit I was conning you, only because I don't have the money to pay for a suit fully. I've got ten gold only, and I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell for that. I'll leave this shop, if you want.

Using prior Diplomacy roll to get that suit of armor for 10gp.

godsown91
2009-11-09, 09:40 PM
"Very well then, sir; ten gold the piece. I'll even throw in some boots."

Industrious: Make me a Sense Motive or Spot roll, whichever you like.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-09, 09:40 PM
Sekt

As the group goes its separate directions, Sekt eventually gives up and heads into the bar. Once he enters he starts scanning the place for someone who seems particularly down on their luck, but one who's not too drunk yet.

Search- [roll0]

industrious
2009-11-09, 09:55 PM
Sense Motive Check: [roll0]

godsown91
2009-11-09, 09:58 PM
@Kanus

The bar is largely empty, save for the barkeep, a few of your fellow party members, and a group on men in one corner playing dice. One of them, a big burly chap, is literally losing his shirt as you look on.

@Industrious

You sense nothing out of the ordinary about him. Obviously, he's just happy to get rid of such specialist goods.

industrious
2009-11-09, 10:01 PM
OoC: I feel nervous.

"Thank you sir. Apologizes for my deception once more, and I bid you a good day."

Once outside, Jackson puts on the leather armor, and decides not to put on the boots. The others might not want like it if he flaunted his newly found equipment. He then checks his watch for what time it is.

OoC: is it closing time at the tavern yet?

godsown91
2009-11-09, 10:08 PM
Night will soon fall upon the city. While there is still about an hour or so's worth of daylight left, sensible fellows would do well to find a place to spend the night. The tavern would probably be open all night, if it doesn't have its own attached inn.

You should be.

Industrious: Make me a Spot roll.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-09, 10:09 PM
Sekt

Disappointed by the lack of patrons, Sekt simply orders an ale and sits on his own, watching and waiting for his allies to finish what they're doing.

industrious
2009-11-09, 10:10 PM

godsown91
2009-11-09, 10:19 PM
@Industrious: You notice that your watch has a dent in it. Those bastards...

@Kanus: "'ere ya go." The barman slaps an ale on the bar. "Three silver." The game the roughs are playing seems to be going badly; they're beginning to get loud.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-09, 10:30 PM
Sekt

Sekt simply nods and hands over the coin, before taking his ale and sitting at an empty table and watching the game, waiting for it to either become violent or for one of the players to leave the tavern.

industrious
2009-11-09, 10:36 PM
OoC: thankfully, I don't think that affects it as a focus.

His business complete, Jackson heads back to the tavern. Once he enters, he begins looking around, like a rabbit in the midst of a wolf pack. Looking at Sekt, he almost sprints at the man. "HHHHow wwwwaaas youyouyyyour ttttiiiiimme? WWwwasss iiiit prodddduct...product...productive?

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-09, 11:07 PM
Sekt

Sekt stares, blinking, at his newly arrived ally. "For certain values of productive." Sekt takes a large swig of ale. "There. Productive." He then turns his focus back towards the game.

industrious
2009-11-09, 11:16 PM
Jackson sits down next to him. "I can't be alone here. They'll eat me alive. What did I ever do to deserve this? The man looks as if he's going to faint.

Eternal Kanus
2009-11-09, 11:25 PM
Sekt

Chuckling at Jackson's distraught, Sekt puts a hand on his shoulder and smiles. "The fates must simply hate you, I suppose. Get used to it, they aren't fond of most of us. But if you want to fit in properly, go join those men in their game. You'd fit right in, and before you know it, you'll be so much more comfortable with your situation."

godsown91
2009-11-09, 11:25 PM
The game is going...rather badly. Accusations of loaded dice, planting loaded dice, sleeping with the other player's sister, and all the varied unpleasantries that can be bandied about by people trying to start a fight, are.

Derjuin
2009-11-10, 12:31 AM
"A forge hammer, huh. Um..." Melana sticks a hand down into her pocket, holding some of the coins still as she tries to make a rattling sound with what's left in there. "How much would you sell it for? I don't have very much money..." She says, sounding a little sad about her current financial situation.

OoC: Would a forge hammer be improvised (and what amount of damage would it do?)?

godsown91
2009-11-10, 12:55 AM
OOC: Indeed they would. They are not exactly war hammers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's an automatic d4.

The blacksmith gives you a benevolent smile. "I shall give it to you for free, little one; my apprentice went off with the crusade, and without my metal I can do no work in any case." He goes into the back and brings out said hammer.

Mirku
2009-11-10, 12:05 PM
"That's the last time I ask someone more poor than me for information," Jack grumbled as he walked back to the hole-in-tha-boat. Atleast I got a decent view of my surroundings,' Jack thought.

(Do they have rooms at the Hole? If so I'll purchase one when my character gets there probably.)

godsown91
2009-11-10, 01:14 PM
They do indeed.

Derjuin
2009-11-16, 08:30 AM
(OOC: Apologies for the really late response, reality has been raking me over the coals with way too many things that need doing in one day...)

Melana curtsies to the blacksmith, and smiles. "Thank you for your help, sir!" She turns away and grumbles something to the effect of "May your future hold a better fortune for you.", something she would rarely say to anyone else. She notices it getting rather dark, and decides to head back to the Hole-in-tha-Boat.