PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wolf Mount?

Fraggranark
2009-10-29, 06:56 AM
I'm playing a 3.5 Eberron Campaign with a Half-Orc Ranger. When I get high enough level I'm taking the Totem Companion feat(I have the reqs already) to get a magical creature companion. As you may guess from title, I wanted know, since its a large creature would it be possible to use it as a mount? I may sound stupid to some, but I don't have a PHB handy, so I need to ask someone. And if you do think its stupid of me to ask, you don't have to say so.

Chrono22
2009-10-29, 07:03 AM
Yes, although the winter wolf would still require some formal training to be a competent one.
Also, you'd need an exotic saddle, and armor for your winter wolf mount will cost 4x the standard listed prices in the players' handbook, due to increased size and exotic armor dimensions.

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-29, 07:04 AM
As far as I know, if you are allowed to take the wolf as companion, nothing in the rules forbids you to use it as a mount. Since you are a ranger, I guess you are expected to respect your companion, but using it as a mount does not mean treat it badly.

You are an orc, so you are medium I guess. For mediaum PC you need large mounts. Take an exotic saddle and you are ok I think.

Of course, when you gain levels, it will improve its animal companion features, not taking the ones of, say, paladin special mounts.

Aaand.. dont' be afraid to ask. BTW, your question seems to me perfetly reasonable.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-29, 07:16 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say that it's not out of line for a ranger to use his animal companion as a mount. After all, horse and riding dog are both on the list!

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-29, 07:41 AM
Are you allowed Dragon mag stuff? I know a few feats that may get you ready to ride sooner.

Fraggranark
2009-10-29, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info. As far as I know we only use the standard 3.5 source books, Dragon Mag rules have never come up. Our DM lets us use any official source book, so long as its applicable within reason in the Eberron setting, such as only Daelkry Half-Bloods being able to take any of the Illithid Heritage feats from Complete Psionics.

One of the reasons for a mount is that its to support his back ground, as during the Last War he was working (he has the Mark of Finding) in the high moutain and snowy regions, because the War seemed to be a bit too much of a bother to him, and he meet a Winter Wolf (whose name will be either "Coldfang", "Icejaw" or "Wintson Wolfsenburg") who he later meets again, this time becoming his companion (due to the Totem Companion feat as previously mentioned). I just wanted to know if its possible, so that I could plan my feat progression accordingly.

Again, thanks for the help and any advice

AslanCross
2009-10-29, 09:09 AM
The DMG has the following guidelines.
These are of course, still subject to DM approval and are therefore not a guarantee of what your DM will let you take. Note the opening clause. Emphasis mine.

Suitable Mounts: You [the DM] have the final decision on what is or is
not a suitable mount. At its most basic level, a mount should have
the following characteristics:
• Able and willing to carry its rider in a typical fashion. (A camel
is able and willing. A tiger might be capable but may not be
willing. A giant might be willing but not truly able.)
• At least one size category larger than the character. Also, a
flying mount can carry no more than a light load aloft.
• The mount’s Challenge Rating should be no more than 3 less
than the rider’s character level. If the mount can fly, its
Challenge Rating should be no more than 4 less than the rider’s
character level.

Uin
2009-10-29, 09:14 AM
Arcane Casting + Obtain Familiar (CA) + Improved Familiar (CW) = Winter Wolf

John Campbell
2009-10-29, 09:15 AM
Yeah, sure, you can ride it. It's Large and, with an 18 Str (before animal companion bonuses) ought to be able to carry you without being too badly encumbered. My own character's core concept is a half-orc ranger/barbarian who rides his dire wolf animal companion. Kind of Mongol horse-archer type, except with a big freakin' wolf.

One thing I'd check, though... I'm not familiar with the details of the feat that gets you the winter wolf animal companion, but some of the effects that let a druid or ranger treat a Magical Beast as if it were an Animal in some circumstance require it to be a Magical Beast with an Int of 1 or 2, and winter wolves have a 9 Int.

I recommend taking Natural Bond and a one-level dip in Beastmaster, if you can. Otherwise, ranger animal companion progression is so slow that, when you get into higher levels, your animal companion will be too fragile to be hanging around the fights you're in.

Fraggranark
2009-10-29, 09:50 AM
Oh I understand that its the DM's decision. I know that the DM has final say, I'm just trying to stack the odds in my favour by showing evidence to support my use.

Blackfang108
2009-10-29, 09:51 AM
Yes, although the winter wolf would still require some formal training to be a competent one.

Does this apply to non-animal Intelligence mounts? Because a normal Winter Wolf has an INT of 9.

Fraggranark
2009-10-29, 09:52 AM
Which source book is the Beastmaster in?

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-29, 10:07 AM
Does this apply to non-animal Intelligence mounts? Because a normal Winter Wolf has an INT of 9.

I believe, as per a discussion in a previous thread, it even applies to appropriately shape-shifted Player-Characters.

The idea of taking a week of downtime so the fighter and the druid can learn how to ride each other properly in combat is, in my opinion, adorable.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-29, 10:24 AM
I'm playing a 3.5 Eberron Campaign with a Half-Orc Ranger. When I get high enough level I'm taking the Totem Companion feat(I have the reqs already) to get a magical creature companion. As you may guess from title, I wanted know, since its a large creature would it be possible to use it as a mount? I may sound stupid to some, but I don't have a PHB handy, so I need to ask someone. And if you do think its stupid of me to ask, you don't have to say so.

My first thought: Dear gods, get a riding blanket or you'll never have children.

My second thought: I'd let it work, but keep in mind that a Winter Wolf mount is going to be extremely different than riding a horse, or even a goblin on wolfback. While the WW will USUALLY respond as a mount would, it will also have its own ideas about what should be done and such; I'd say giving it commands would be a Diplomacy check more than a ride check (with a good bonus, since you are friendly).

The idea of taking a week of downtime so the fighter and the druid can learn how to ride each other properly in combat is, in my opinion, adorable.

Bow-chicka-wow-wow

Blackfang108
2009-10-29, 11:15 AM
My first thought: Dear gods, get a riding blanket or you'll never have children.

[stuff]

Bow-chicka-wow-wow

1.) Good point. Those things be cold.

2.) I'm just glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I think I need to stop reading the Malazan books for a little while. Thankfully, I have some light reading lined up: book 12 of the WoT. (About $$$$ed time, too.)

John Campbell
2009-10-29, 01:06 PM
Which source book is the Beastmaster in?

Complete Adventurer.

Fraggranark
2009-10-30, 02:26 AM
Thanks for all the help. I've started making a character incase I get a chance to use him, since when I hear about another PrC I have to design one just for a the hell of it. A Kobold Ranger. anyone know any feats to gain access to alternative Animal Companion lists?

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-30, 02:34 AM
Dragon Mag #326. You get to pick from a small list of magical beasts/ aberrations in addition to the normal ones available.

Zaydos
2009-10-30, 07:46 AM
Exalted Companion (BoED) you can select celestial animals and some good aligned magical beasts.

Blackfang108
2009-10-30, 08:33 AM
Exalted Companion (BoED) you can select celestial animals and some good aligned magical beasts.

Unfortunately, the Winter Wolf is Evil.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-30, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the help. I've started making a character incase I get a chance to use him, since when I hear about another PrC I have to design one just for a the hell of it. A Kobold Ranger. anyone know any feats to gain access to alternative Animal Companion lists?
Unless your DM houserules your druid level for animal companion to something useful, using both a single level beastmaster dip and natural bond are not so much an option as a prerequisite for getting a combat viable animal companion at level 10+ for a ranger (which is why I personally think it should be houseruled).

Without houserules or beastmaster you end up spending 2 feats on an animal companion which has a fraction of your HD and laughable saves at high level ... do you really want to call a new one after each combat?

pres_man
2009-10-30, 09:48 AM

But ... this ... is ... EBERRON!

Blackfang108
2009-10-30, 10:34 AM
But ... this ... is ... EBERRON!

That doesn't mean he's automatically good. It just means there's a marginally higher chance that he's not evil.

Stephen_E
2009-10-31, 06:03 AM

Ussually.
Ussually mean > 50%

Lots of scope for non-Evil Winter Wolves.

Stephen E

Darrin
2009-10-31, 06:57 AM

Generally, it doesn't apply. Per the DMG, any creature with an Int of 3 or higher no longer qualifies as an "animal" for the purposes of Handle Animal. You use Diplomacy to ask it if it wants to serve as a mount. However, there are several exceptions. Pegasi and Griffons have higher than animal intelligence, but the MM specifies that they need to be trained to accept a rider or serve as a mount.

It's really up to the DM. I can see that some might say any naturally wild free-willed creature with an Int of 3 or higher might need something more of a Diplomacy role to serve as a mount.

As for the Half-Orc Ranger, Leadership to pick up the Winter Wolf as a cohort would probably work. It has an ECL of 9, so it wouldn't be available until the character was 11th level. Sword of the Arcane Order (not really Eb but too darned cool not to be) + Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar might work, but Leadership is much simpler... and a familiar with an ECL of 9 would require a fairly high caster level.

Beast Heart Adept (from Dungeonscape) also offers Winter Wolf as a Monstrous Companion. You could get that at ECL 8... Ranger 5/Beast Heart Adept 3.

Cieyrin
2009-10-31, 09:53 AM
Getting Winter wolf via Ranger and Sword of the Arcane Order is pretty steep, since you need CL 7, which is level 14 for the Ranger without Practiced Spellcaster. With Practiced Spellcaster, you could pick it up at 7th, when you meet the BAB requirement of +7.

minchazo
2009-11-02, 07:14 AM
Why not just ask the DM if you can take Leadership and take the Winter Wolf as a cohort?