PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Improving Spells Known...

Zovc
2009-10-29, 11:13 AM
Sandstorm's Sand Shaper improves characters' spells known.

This isn't a great boost to Wizards, seeing as they could learn spells elsewhere, but it is quite useful to classes like Warmage and Beguiler. I'd rather not discuss how painful losing caster levels is, but rather, how I can improve my Beguiler/Sorceror/Warmage's spell list.

Are there any prestige classes other than Sand Shaper that improve a character's spells known? What about feats that improve spells known? Any other way to do that?

Fishy
2009-10-29, 11:21 AM
That would be Rainbow Servant, which puts all Cleric spells ever on your class list, as well as a few domains. Nice for wizards and sorcerers, outrageously and hilariously powerful for Beguilers, Warmages and Dread Necromancers.

May or may not be a 10/10 casting class.

Cyclocone
2009-10-29, 11:22 AM
Fiend Blooded PrC from Heroes of Horror to name one.

There are some items that do it too, namely Know Stones (Dragon 333 i think) and Drake Helms (Eberron something, possibly Explorers Guide).

Kylarra
2009-10-29, 11:24 AM
Some of the classes in CDiv grant domains, which add to your spells known.

Zovc
2009-10-29, 11:26 AM
Some of the classes in CDiv grant domains, which add to your spells known.

Do you add domain spells to your spells known, or do you just get one spell per day (per level) from that domain's spell list?

Kylarra
2009-10-29, 11:38 AM
Do you add domain spells to your spells known, or do you just get one spell per day (per level) from that domain's spell list?
I'll just steal a link to where someone else quoted it. link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7205179&postcount=2).

Douglas
2009-10-29, 11:45 AM
You can add them to your spells known but it's not free - you have to spend one of your normal spells known on each one that you want.

JellyPooga
2009-10-29, 12:30 PM
The Bloodline feats from Dragon mag give you one extra Spell Known per spell level, but it's a set list and each one precludes you from casting spells of a certain type (e.g. if you take the Earth Bloodline feat, you can never cast any spell with the [Air] descriptor and all such spells are removed from your class spell list, so you can't even wand those spells). They're only available as 1st level feats though, so unless you're Human or using Flaws, you're only going to get one of these Feats...still, 9 extra Spells Known is better than the 1 extra that the Extra Spell Known Feat (Complete Arcane) gives you...

Zovc
2009-10-29, 01:05 PM
I'll just steal a link to where someone else quoted it. link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7205179&postcount=2).

Domains don't add to your spells known, according to that quite...

Kylarra
2009-10-29, 01:16 PM
Well they don't directly add, they just expand the potential list I guess.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-29, 01:59 PM
Domains don't add to your spells known, according to that quite...
Well, they do if you automatically know all spells on your list, like the druid, paladin, and ranger example.

The part where it breaks down is that this ability was created before the "Automatically know all spells on the list, and spontaneously cast any known spell" classes like Warmage, Beguiler, and Dread Necromancer were invented. So you wind up with two concepts that weren't intended to go together.

HCL
2009-10-29, 02:29 PM
Necrotic Cyst from Libris Mortis gets you some spells.

If you are a Dragonwrought Kobold, Sovereign archetypes from Dragons of Ebberron will work.

Eldariel
2009-10-29, 02:39 PM
Ways for a Sorcerer to gain additional spells known. (http://web.archive.org/web/20080502172243rn_1/forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-616344)