PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jar + Familiar + Portable Hole = Win? [3.5]

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-29, 11:31 AM
It seems to me that if one were to make some sort of collar for one's familiar, on which the gem focus of the Magic Jar (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/spellsMtoO.html#magic-jar) spell was attached, and possess a target person out of sight of everyone, put your own lifeless body in your portable hole (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsWI.html#portable-hole) and tuck the portable hole into the collar pouch of your familiar... keep the familiar out of the fight but within range of the Magic Jar spell for emergency evacuation... then you'd be a deadly, nearly unstoppable possession machine that your enemies would have no idea how to kill.
:smallbiggrin:

How would you go about coping with such a trick, if you had to deal with an enemy using it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-29, 11:46 AM
How would you go about coping with such a trick, if you had to deal with an enemy using it?Dispel. Really, what else do you need?

Cyclocone
2009-10-29, 11:47 AM
Contact Other Plane to learn about it, then Gate the familiar and put a bag of holding in it's portable hole?:smallbiggrin:

At any rate, it seems like a lot of work when you could just Planar Bind a Nightmare and astral project from your Wizard Panic Room instead.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-29, 12:06 PM
Contact Other Plane to learn about it, then Gate the familiar and put a bag of holding in it's portable hole?:smallbiggrin:
Ha!
Yes, the ruse does start to fall down, once your enemies have figured it out. Dispel will mess it up, easy.

I was really thinking of it as a way to mess with the PCs' heads for a while: confusing them with seemingly random attacks from unconnected wizards, who - once they investigate the dead person's background - appear to be unremarkable...
... or maybe they're other enemies of the Magic Jarring Wizard, and he's setting the PCs up to take the blame for killing them...
... eventually of course, a party member gets possessed, which is always fun.

Anyway, I'm still chuckling over this idea, despite it being easy to ruin once it's been figured out.