PDA

View Full Version : Does it work?

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 12:15 PM
Permanency + time stop

was thinking of using these two and using wands and scrolls at my opponent...does it work or is there a better way?

ex cathedra
2009-10-29, 12:17 PM
No. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) You can ask your DM, who should say no.

jiriku
2009-10-29, 12:23 PM
If it did work, you'd be very very lonely for the rest of your life.

However, I don't see an obstacle to time stop + persistent spell, provided you use something like divine metamagic or the incantatrix class feature to avoid paying the increased cost. And you could easily persist time stop once every 23 1/2 hours to keep it going forever. But that's the sort of thing that causes DMs to send CR 30 inevitables after you.

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 12:23 PM
lol thank you for that....was genius though right?

JeenLeen
2009-10-29, 12:24 PM
In addition, Time Stop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm) is not dismissable, so you would have to dispel your own Permanency to allow time to flow again.

Edit: ninja'd

t_catt11
2009-10-29, 12:29 PM
Just curious... why would you want this?

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 12:31 PM
the idea was for time stop + permanency...dispel magic myself after i have (time stop casted using wands) so that all the damage hits the opponent at once.

t_catt11
2009-10-29, 12:32 PM
Nice idea... I'd thump you for munchkinery were I your DM, but nice idea.

JeenLeen
2009-10-29, 12:32 PM
the idea was for time stop + permanency...dispel magic myself after i have (time stop casted using wands) so that all the damage hits the opponent at once.

You'd have to use scrolls, not wands (4th level limit, right?). But, otherwise, that does get beyond the Dispel Magic problem, assuming the wand is at 17th caster level and you at a higher.

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 12:36 PM
I know its a cheap idea....expensive in gold, and a great cost...id probably use scrolls....but it keeps me safe...while making the enemy useless...probably only play one game like that seeing that i would be killed off or kicked form the game.

Kylarra
2009-10-29, 12:39 PM
Might as well just try to abuse Genesis if you're trying to go out with a bang...

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 12:40 PM
not sure what genesis is...have not used or purchased all the books yet.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-29, 01:07 PM

It's a 9th level spell that lets you create your own plane; the arcane version, unlike the divine version or the psionic power, does not have text disallowing you from setting the time trait, so you could make your own private demiplane that effectively gives you time stop whenever you're there.

Blackfang108
2009-10-29, 01:08 PM

www.d20srd.org

Go here, read everything.

Kish
2009-10-29, 01:12 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timestop.htm Notably, "While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell. A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends."
Wands of Magic Missile? Forget it.
Wands of Fireball? Duration: Instantaneous, so, again, forget it.

sofawall
2009-10-29, 01:16 PM

However, I don't see an obstacle to time stop + persistent spell, provided you use something like divine metamagic or the incantatrix class feature to avoid paying the increased cost. And you could easily persist time stop once every 23 1/2 hours to keep it going forever. But that's the sort of thing that causes DMs to send CR 30 inevitables after you.

WotC basically said 'no' to it, although the reasoning leaves many people thinking that they pulled something out of their collective asses to stop it, as they don't think of things interacting, ever.

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 01:18 PM
so the idea is flawed.

valadil
2009-10-29, 01:21 PM

If I were GM and someone tried this on me I'd rule that "Duration: 1d4+1 rounds (apparent time); see text" isn't a duration that can be extended. "Apparent time" is only with respect to you. To the rest of the universe it's instantaneous. Whether this stops the effect from working or breaks the character's bond with the universe would be determined at run time, dependant on my mood/dislike for the player who attempted it.

Telonius
2009-10-29, 01:21 PM
But that's the sort of thing that causes DMs to send CR 30 inevitables after you.

Agreed. That's exactly the sort of thing that Quaruts are made for.

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 01:33 PM
Would be a long and fun battle....for eternity.

Eldariel
2009-10-29, 02:29 PM
Even if it did work, it'd be extremely dumb 'cause all you'd do is lock yourself into a frame of time for eternity; in effect you'd just cease your existence. You could do anything you want there but as that cannot affect the outside world, you're kinda out of luck.

jiriku
2009-10-29, 02:54 PM
Even if it did work, it'd be extremely dumb 'cause all you'd do is lock yourself into a frame of time for eternity; in effect you'd just cease your existence. You could do anything you want there but as that cannot affect the outside world, you're kinda out of luck.

Actually, I could think of lots to do in a persisted time stop. And that's without going into the ladies' locker room.

You can't target or harm creatures, but you can work with unattended items and the environment. Persisted time stop + persisted undermaster would allow you to reshape the world in the blink of an eye. You'd be the world's greatest bank robber, as only anti-magic fields could bar your path.

Edit: In fact, fantasy is full of stories about fantastic castles or even whole cities appearing overnight, then just as suddenly disappearing. There could be an entire shadow society of high-level wizards living out their lives in the spaces between an eyeblink, all over the multi-verse, only emerging from their time-stop-enabled paradises when they grow too hungry for companionship.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-29, 03:17 PM
Edit: In fact, fantasy is full of stories about fantastic castles or even whole cities appearing overnight, then just as suddenly disappearing. There could be an entire shadow society of high-level wizards living out their lives in the spaces between an eyeblink, all over the multi-verse, only emerging from their time-stop-enabled paradises when they grow too hungry for companionship.

You have just generated the plot for my next high-level campaign. Kudos, sir.

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 03:22 PM
See...i could blow up the world in 50 years....but you wouldnt see it coming...HA

SurlySeraph
2009-10-29, 03:27 PM
I agree that the shadow society of time-shifted wizards is a fantastic idea.

You could slip a Ring of Spell Storing with Timestop in it onto the fingers of people you want to talk to.