PDA

View Full Version : Player wants to play a Large character

root9125
2009-10-29, 12:21 PM
One of my players wants to play a large character. Any ideas what he might find (with ECL <5, if possible) and / or whether this is a bad idea?

Whammydill
2009-10-29, 12:34 PM
One of my players wants to play a large character. Any ideas what he might find (with ECL <5, if possible) and / or whether this is a bad idea?

Half-Ogre from Savage Species, and maybe other locations is as written +1LA its pretty powerful for +1LA. It may have been errata'd to +2 or so. It's towards the back of that book.

Large character, in particular a Half-Ogre is going to have a 10' Reach, and a high strenght score. With appropriately sized weapons, say a Maul, he is likely going to have a 26 Strength, so even at level 1 Barbarian, he is going to have +9 to hit, and doing 2d8+12 pts per hit. Even more when raging.

Needless to say, he will be putting out a lot of melee damage with this set up. Things like Power attack, Combat reflexes, leap attack, hold-the-line, Shock trooper, Knockdown....etc will make him a force to be reckoned with. His counter is obviously going to be will-saves or other magics.

Person_Man
2009-10-29, 12:35 PM
Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777).

deuxhero
2009-10-29, 12:36 PM
Enlarge person is really cheep and lasts long (even longer if you grab the caster a pearl of power 1st level) even without permanency. Permanent large is really more of a hurt (can't go through medium doorways) over long lasting enlarge person.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-29, 12:49 PM
Enlarge person is really cheep and lasts long (even longer if you grab the caster a pearl of power 1st level) even without permanency. Permanent large is really more of a hurt (can't go through medium doorways) over long lasting enlarge person.
Not true, read Sqeezing. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm)
What is true is you can't go into the Halflings Hangout or Gnomes Gnest. Unless someone casts reduce person on you.

root9125
2009-10-29, 12:59 PM
Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777).

Frakking perfect. I *KNEW* you wrote a guide somewhere.

Volos
2009-10-29, 01:11 PM
Just hit up Races of Stone for the golaith race. They act as a large size humaniod in many respects without actually taking up four squares on the map.

Ernir
2009-10-29, 01:32 PM
Large character, in particular a Half-Ogre is going to have a 10' Reach, and a high strenght score. With appropriately sized weapons, say a Maul, he is likely going to have a 26 Strength, so even at level 1 Barbarian, he is going to have +9 to hit, and doing 2d8+12 pts per hit. Even more when raging.

Just remember to always compare him to a character two levels higher... Half-Ogre is good as far as these things go, but LA always hurts. =/

Especially when you only have one actual HD and are fighting CR 3 monsters as the rule of thumb. :smalleek:

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-29, 01:35 PM
My first question would be: Why?

If he wants to swing big weapons, direct him to Half-Orc with Monkey's Grip to wield a Large 2h weapon.

If he wants to do more damage, refer him to something with Powerful Build.

If he wants it for the reach, politely decline to allow him access to anything on that list, because odds are he's going to try and break your game with a 30' reach.

root9125
2009-10-29, 01:39 PM
He's too new to understand all the implications of reach. So I'm just going to touch on it once then ignore it.

He says he wants it for the increased damage in Warshaper.

Telonius
2009-10-29, 01:50 PM
However, if he just wants to play a giant because it'll be badass (and for no other reason), then go nuts.

A few more items with size:

- Large weapons and armor cost more than the medium-sized versions.
- Size penalty means he gets -1 to attack and AC, and -4 to Hide.
- Size bonus means that he gets +4 to grapple and likely a better-than-Power-Attack average damage, depending on what weapon he uses.
- There are a variety of feats and features made specifically for fighting larger foes (Dwarves and Gnomes get bonuses vs giants; "Confound the Big Folk," "Giantbane," "Cunning Sidestep", etc)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-29, 02:01 PM
He's too new to understand all the implications of reach. So I'm just going to touch on it once then ignore it.

He says he wants it for the increased damage in Warshaper.

Then correct his misunderstanding.

Warshaper abilities *ONLY* kick in when you are Wildshaped/Polymorphed/NOT your normal form. Alternate Forms are *NOT* dependent on current form for size calculation. You can have a Halfling Druid turn into a Dire Bear, and it is no less face-ripping than a Giant Druid doing the same thing.

If he wants Warshaper, suggest Wildshape Ranger as a starting point, with a possible slide into MoMF.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-29, 02:03 PM
He's new, go easy on him.

I'd suggest a Half-Giant Changeling. You get large size and easy access to Warshaper (use Changeling to shapeshift into yourself, except with a slightly thicker ring finger).

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-29, 02:13 PM

I'd suggest a Half-Giant Changeling. You get large size and easy access to Warshaper (use Changeling to shapeshift into yourself, except with a slightly thicker ring finger).

Half-Giant is a template?

I thought it was a race from EPH.

Coidzor
2009-10-29, 02:14 PM
Nah, with nasty claws and pointy teeth to look intimidating and all kinds of nasty battlescars and tattoos!

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-29, 02:17 PM
Half-Ogre, I meant; the one that was referenced earlier. Half-Giant is a Dragon magazine template that brings up nasty memories. Powergaming arguments...

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-29, 02:18 PM

Half-Giant isn't a template, its as much a race as Half Orc.

Tyger
2009-10-29, 02:22 PM
Half-Ogre, I meant; the one that was referenced earlier. Half-Giant is a Dragon magazine template that brings up nasty memories. Powergaming arguments...

Or a race in the XPH? I know its on the SRD under the Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) heading.

Either way, to the OP let your player know that there are challenges which Large characters face that Medium and Small one's don't. Like finding a seat at the bar. A bed that fits you in the inn, going through small places, etc, etc, etc.

Blackfang108
2009-10-29, 03:05 PM
Either way, to the OP let your player know that there are challenges which Large characters face that Medium and Small one's don't. Like finding a seat at the bar. A bed that fits you in the inn, going through small places, etc, etc, etc.

Karsa Orlong never seems to have trouble with this...

Kish
2009-10-29, 03:09 PM
EVERYBODY MOVE!

The forum doesn't allow all caps, bleh.

Blackfang108
2009-10-29, 03:21 PM
EVERYBODY MOVE!

The forum doesn't allow all caps, bleh.

Thank you, Fezzig.

Akal Saris
2009-10-29, 05:29 PM
It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.