PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Possible Geater Blink munchkinery?

Choco
2009-10-29, 01:24 PM
Reading the entry for Greater Blink, it basically says it functions exactly like Blink except you can control your plane hopping (no chance the spell fires off in the wrong plane, wont rematerialize inside solid objects, can ready an action to blink away from an attack, etc.)

However, taking this as written, you could technically use greater blink to get around provoking AOO's for casting spells without having to go defensive. The second you start casting the spell, hop into the ethereal plane and stay there until the moment the spell is about to fire, then hop back into the material. Or if the spell is a buff just stay there until it is finished then come back.

Is this doable or is there something I am missing preventing me from doing that?

jiriku
2009-10-29, 01:43 PM
Blink already does that, as you can't take AoOs against creatures that have concealment.

Douglas
2009-10-29, 01:43 PM
You have limited control, not complete control. It is enough to grant the effects specifically outlined in the spell description but no more than that.

Blink already does that, as you can't take AoOs against creatures that have concealment.
It provides concealment only against creatures that cannot see invisible creatures.

Choco
2009-10-29, 01:46 PM

But that only applies to complete concealment doesn't it?

You have limited control, not complete control. It is enough to grant the effects specifically outlined in the spell description but no more than that.

That makes logical sense and any sane DM would rule that, but munchkinery in general is not about making sense, it's about abusing loopholes in the rules. I could argue that it doesnt state anywhere that my control is not complete, and those were just some examples :smallbiggrin:

Clementx
2009-10-29, 01:48 PM
Incorrect. Only creatures with total concealment (or any degree of cover) are immune to AoOs. You may be confusing it with sneak attack, which is blocked by any amount of concealment.

Shadwen
2009-10-29, 02:07 PM
it might work if the dm allows it to be so, otherwise he will smack you and tell you to stop thinking.

jiriku
2009-10-29, 02:10 PM
Mmmm, I was misremembering. Cover will grant you protection against AoOs. So will total concealment. Blink grants neither. Ah, I miss my 3.0 shield spells that eliminated the need to cast defensively.