PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Becoming an Elan...

Zovc
2009-10-29, 02:25 PM
How does one become an Elan, can only humans "ascend?"

I'm AFB, but aren't Elans unable to die of old age?

Raewyn
2009-10-29, 02:42 PM
Elans are not born; they are made. Living humans are selected from a pool of applicants and screened by a special elan council. Those who pass muster undergo a secret psionic process in one of several hidden elan enclaves, where they abandon their humanity for a new psionically energized existence. The answer to your first question is yes.

The second is a bit more up for debate... on the one hand, the text in XPH says they have "effectively unlimited lifespans." On the other, the Aging Effects table gives them a maximum age of 1000 + (10d%) years. So I think it's up to your DM on that one.

Fan
2009-10-29, 02:44 PM
Per RAW, Specific Table Trumps General Text.

So, no, Elans are not Immortal VIA RAW.

JeenLeen
2009-10-29, 02:45 PM
I believe there is no official account of the ritual/whatever to become an Elan. The Elans know and don't tell, although some sort of ritual is mentioned in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, IIRC. Someone who wants to become an Elan is judged by the ruling council of Elans (or something like that) to determine if they are worthy.

It is considered that only humans can ascend. At the least, no non-humans have become Elans.

I believe Elans do not die of old age, although I was suprised to not see an 'NA' at the 'when do they die' part of the age chart in the aforementioned book. They don't age, I'm pretty sure. Can anyone clarify?
Edit: clarified above while I was typing.

Zovc
2009-10-29, 02:45 PM
The answer to your first question is yes.

The second is a bit more up for debate... on the one hand, the text in XPH says they have "effectively unlimited lifespans." On the other, the Aging Effects table gives them a maximum age of 1000 + (10d%) years. So I think it's up to your DM on that one.

So, is there a template anywhere? I'd be interested in a homebrew if need be.

I suppose that is better than a human life span. I'd take it! What about sleep?

Raewyn
2009-10-29, 02:47 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm

They meditate for 4 hours/night to become fully rested.

Ernir

Both are pretty specific on Elans, I'd say. So what about Text Trumps Table? :smalltongue:

JeenLeen

It's not a template, but a race. You effectively become a level 1 character when you become an Elan.

Elans do not sleep, but instead must 'trance' (not like elves, but similiar) for 4 hours to psionically charge their powers.
This is not to regain psionic power points, but seems vital to their continual life from the text. However, no special rules for going without trance exist, from what I've read, so I reckon it goes as if you missed sleep (fatigued, then exhausted after x days.)

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-29, 02:50 PM

Errata trumps both.

As per Errata, Elans do not die of old age.

crazedloon
they do live forever as the table has been updated to read

Elan 200 years 400 years 1,000 years — (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight)

*ninja :smalleek:

Swok
iirc weren't Elans errata'ed somewhere to have no maximum age?

Edit: *nin nin!*

Blackfang108
2009-10-29, 02:51 PM

Errata removes the maximum age for Elans. So, Yes, they are.

Check the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight), also.

EDIT: Double Ninja'd.

Aldizog
2009-10-29, 02:52 PM
Not being familiar with 3.5 psionics, there is something amusing about reading on the OOTS site about
a) wanting to become an Elan, and
b) Elan being an immortal ascended human.

Zovc
2009-10-29, 02:54 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm

Yes, but that's a race, not a template. I was hoping I could turn a level 1 human wizard, for example, into a level 1 Elan (with likely more benefits than the race) Wizard instead of leveling up.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-29, 02:57 PM
Yes, but that's a race, not a template. I was hoping I could turn a level 1 human wizard, for example, into a level 1 Elan (with likely more benefits than the race) Wizard instead of leveling up.

Look at the Dragonborn option. -2 Cha, bonus PP, special abilities, Aberration type, no LA. Loses some previous racial traits.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-29, 03:02 PM
Not being familiar with 3.5 psionics, there is something amusing about reading on the OOTS site about

The oddest part is that Elans have a Charisma penalty.

Zovc
2009-10-29, 03:04 PM
Look at the Dragonborn option. -2 Cha, bonus PP, special abilities, Aberration type, no LA. Loses some previous racial traits.

I will compare the two once I get home, thanks for pointing that out!

Also, thanks, everyone else for the infos.

Would anyone else become an Elan if they could?

Kish
2009-10-29, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I read the thread title and thought, "First, roll one 18 and put it in Charisma, then use both Wisdom and Intelligence as dump stats, and..."

taltamir
2009-10-29, 03:08 PM
to become an elan:
1. Ask your DM if you can play one
2. Write "Elan" on your character sheet under the heading "race"

Zovc
2009-10-29, 03:17 PM

To be honest, I don't read OOTS. I've got a... different* sense of humor, and am on this site only for the forums, usually.

Maybe I'm already an Elan?

Optimystik
2009-10-29, 03:30 PM

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Optimystic8/elancensored.jpg

Woo! I'm invisible!

JeenLeen
2009-10-29, 03:37 PM

Although that's not how it works, it is assumed you don't become an Elan in game but as part of your backstory. I could see a DM letting you become an Elan and keep your level (especially since it is level 1) without an xp penalty, but it would be special permission by the DM.
And you should lose your human bonuses (bonus feat/skill points).

Haven
2009-10-29, 03:37 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Optimystic8/elancensored.jpg

Woo! I'm invisible!

I snerked.