PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best Personal spells to make ranged?

Myou
2009-10-29, 05:17 PM
In my current game my wizard//stuff has a Lesser Rod of Aid Spell, a custom feat that lets you apply a Personal range spell to a willing touched target. It's a useful ability, but I've never actually used it.

I and my teammate are level 8, and he's a sorcerer//unarmed swordage. What I really want to know is what spells I should be casting on him with this rod, and what manuvers might go well with this ability. I can cast any spell from any base class' list (assuming I can find a scroll or something, and am high enough level).

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

jiriku
2009-10-29, 05:58 PM
Blink will make foes flat-footed against his attacks, which supports assassin's stance.

DragoonWraith
2009-10-29, 06:02 PM
Find a Cleric and having him make everyone Clericzilla?

Myou
2009-10-29, 06:06 PM
Blink will make foes flat-footed against his attacks, which supports assassin's stance.

But it also gives a miss chance to his own attacks, does that not make it a poor choice? :smallconfused:

Find a Cleric and having him make everyone Clericzilla?

Errr, what?

Siosilvar
2009-10-29, 06:13 PM
But it also gives a miss chance to his own attacks, does that not make it a poor choice? :smallconfused:

Errr, what?
via Divine Power, Righteous Might, etc. Essentially, those spells are personal-only and make the cleric exactly as good as the fighter (possibly better).

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-29, 06:21 PM
Oh, yeah. Some Divine Power scrolls would add full BAB to that unarmed swordsage (since gestalt didn't). Isn't that what Giacomo advised for the monk?

Myou
2009-10-29, 06:41 PM
Ohh, I thought you meant 'give everyone divine metamagic, etc'.

via Divine Power, Righteous Might, etc. Essentially, those spells are personal-only and make the cleric exactly as good as the fighter (possibly better).

Oh, that's right, I'm forgetting that the normal SS doesn't get full BAB, he gets it via a houerule.

Righteous Might actually seems kind of weak to me - a little NA and Con, and a bull's str doesn't seem worth one of my fifth level slots. Which I don't get for another level anyway.

Also, it's a Lesser rod. They only work on spell from level 1-3. (My max level is 4.)

Oh, yeah. Some Divine Power scrolls would add full BAB to that unarmed swordsage (since gestalt didn't). Isn't that what Giacomo advised for the monk?

Giacomo advises you waste several level 5 scrolls a day just to make it playable? Yeah, not happening. :smallsigh:

ericgrau
2009-10-29, 10:40 PM

So will greater invisibility, but without the 20% miss chance. Blink is popular for the rogue because you can get a ring of blinking but not a ring of greater invisibility.

Antimagic field seems like the strongest option. For a full list go here (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20spellfilter/) and select class = "wizard" and range = "personal". There are a lot of cool options.

Tavar
2009-10-29, 10:44 PM
If you have the feat Pierce Magical Concealment the miss chance is negated, of course.

The biggest bonus from Righteous Might is the Size increase: that gives Reach plus several useful bonuses.

Fizban
2009-10-30, 02:13 AM
If nothing else you could apply the newer polymorph subtype spells to people other than you and your familiar. Sadly the ones at 3rd level and below are fairly useless, Trollshape at 4th is the first one worth even looking at. I think Shadow Phase was personal only, it's like displacement but isn't cancelled by true seeing. The range on spells like Flame Blade and Shadow Weapon is actually 0', but if you're DM's allowing this rod, you might be able to get it to work on them for power attack madness.

Myou
2009-10-30, 04:44 AM
So will greater invisibility, but without the 20% miss chance. Blink is popular for the rogue because you can get a ring of blinking but not a ring of greater invisibility.

Antimagic field seems like the strongest option. For a full list go here (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20spellfilter/) and select class = "wizard" and range = "personal". There are a lot of cool options.

Oh, good idea, I didn't think of that list.

Sadly AMF won't work, there's a houserule about it not being possible to exclude the caster from it'e effects. Also, it's a Lesser rod, so it can't be ued on AMF.

If you have the feat Pierce Magical Concealment the miss chance is negated, of course.

The biggest bonus from Righteous Might is the Size increase: that gives Reach plus several useful bonuses.

Oh, I didn't think of the size. Still, why not just use Enlarge Person?

If nothing else you could apply the newer polymorph subtype spells to people other than you and your familiar. Sadly the ones at 3rd level and below are fairly useless, Trollshape at 4th is the first one worth even looking at. I think Shadow Phase was personal only, it's like displacement but isn't cancelled by true seeing. The range on spells like Flame Blade and Shadow Weapon is actually 0', but if you're DM's allowing this rod, you might be able to get it to work on them for power attack madness.

Well, I don't konw what those blade ones do, but it's 'Personal' only I'm afraid.

jiriku
2009-10-30, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you could give him an extended wraithstrike to make melee touch attacks for two rounds. That would improve the accuracy of his flurries nicely.

Myou
2009-10-30, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you could give him an extended wraithstrike to make melee touch attacks for two rounds. That would improve the accuracy of his flurries nicely.

Wouldn't Extended make it level 4?

Still, regular is a good idea. :3

Moriato
2009-10-30, 01:59 PM

Wouldn't a ghost touch weapon get rid of that 20% miss chance?

I know there is a greater invis ring out there, but I think it might have been epic, so... yeah, expensive.

Douglas
2009-10-30, 02:10 PM
No. Ethereal and incorporeal are not the same thing. Ghost touch helps with incorporeal. Blink's miss chance comes from being ethereal.

Myou
2009-10-30, 02:20 PM

I know there is a greater invis ring out there, but I think it might have been epic, so... yeah, expensive.

Err, that seems like a waste to buy a ghost touch weapon for an unarmed swordsage just to use Blink. xP

sofawall
2009-10-30, 02:53 PM
Riverine weapon, but it's material, so better be a Warforged.

Myou
2009-10-31, 09:25 AM
Riverine weapon, but it's material, so better be a Warforged.

The target PC is human. Warforged don't even exist in this setting. xD

waterpenguin43
2009-10-31, 10:32 AM
See Stormrage in complete divine and probably other books. It is too funny watching a wizard's familiar start flying, wind wall's surrounding it, and lightning shooting from it's eyes.

Akal Saris
2009-10-31, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't Extended make it level 4?

Still, regular is a good idea. :3

Extend will raise Wraith Strike from 2 to 3. Considering that swordsages can take Emerald Razor and do this anyhow, it's not all that broken.

Douglas
2009-10-31, 11:07 AM
Ah, but Emerald Razor cannot be combined with either a full attack or any other strike.

ericgrau
2009-10-31, 12:33 PM

No, but my point is that it's easier for the caster to peg the rogue with greater invisibility, which is a touch spell that requires no special magic item to use.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-31, 12:53 PM

Miss chance? Doesn't that merely apply to spells?

sofawall
2009-10-31, 01:11 PM
Miss chance? Doesn't that merely apply to spells?

No, it applies to attacks.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-31, 01:14 PM
True Strike?

Tyndmyr
2009-10-31, 01:18 PM
No, it applies to attacks.

A rogue in my RL group is going to be very sorry I found this.

ericgrau
2009-10-31, 02:17 PM
True Strike?

Not worth the action, well not usually. If he could use the item in conjunction with a scroll of true strike he could be ready for that rare situation when it's worth it. If only the item could affect 5th level spells, quickened strike strike would be worth it.