PDA

View Full Version : Pixie familiar

ascariast
2009-10-29, 06:46 PM
How can i get a pixie familiar? Is it listed under Improved familiar anywhere.

taltamir
2009-10-29, 06:48 PM
The pixie in the MM is nothing like "pixies" in fantasy...... but I have had the exact same question some time ago and made this thread where we made a comprehensive list of all pixie/fairy like creatures:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124888

even if it is not listed, you could probably figure out a level at which it will be appropriate. since there are more powerful creatures than it (the imp for example is the ultimate familiar)

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-29, 07:19 PM
You could get a pixie cohort and just call it your familiar. It probably wouldn't like that too much, though.

taltamir
2009-10-29, 07:27 PM
min level for a coure familiar is 7. A pixie is weaker then a coure and and imp. So take improved familiar and get your DM to rule that a pixie can be take either at same level as imp, or a little earlier.

Wreckingrocc
2009-10-29, 07:30 PM
...Aren't Pixies small? That'd be quite an awkward familiar.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-29, 07:45 PM
Can I have a halfling as my familiar? Because that would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

taltamir
2009-10-29, 07:50 PM
Can I have a halfling as my familiar? Because that would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

you can have anything and everything as a familiar. not explicitly stated, but inferred from the fact that everything and anything is made into familiars as examples of familiars explicitly allowed:
0. Animals (no feat required if your class gives famliar)
1. sentient beings (dragons, imps, etc)
2. magical beasts (improved familiars)
3. Elementals
4. Constructs
5. Undead
6. outsiders
7. Templated (celestial hawk, etc)
8. Humanoid fey.

ericgrau
2009-10-29, 09:52 PM
min level for a coure familiar is 7. A pixie is weaker then a coure and and imp. So take improved familiar and get your DM to rule that a pixie can be take either at same level as imp, or a little earlier.

Imps are CR 2, pixies are CR 4. Or, CR aside, at will free action activated greater invis is a bit more useful than an imp. Plus misc. stuff like most every detect X 1/day (each). Easy spell delivery and scouting.

A grig is another sprite that is tiny and CR 1. But it has a beatle body and no wings.

taltamir
2009-10-29, 09:55 PM
Imps are CR 2, pixies are CR 4. Or, CR aside, at will free action activated greater invis is a bit more useful than an imp. Plus misc. stuff like most every detect X 1/day (each). Easy spell delivery and scouting.

I thought only 1 in 10 pixies could do that (and have higher LA)... Well, find something that is stronger than it than and slot it between the two.

ericgrau
2009-10-29, 09:56 PM
That's irresistable dance. All other abilities apply to all pixies.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-29, 09:58 PM
You're thinking of irrestistable dance. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SRD+pixie)

bosssmiley
2009-10-30, 05:22 AM
A grig is another sprite that is tiny and CR 1. But it has a beatle body and no wings.

How can anyone not love the Grigs over Pixies? They're like murderous versions of Jimminy Cricket, or possibly the grasshopper from la Fontaine's The Ant and the Grasshopper. I'd gladly have one of those little fiddle-sawing nutters as a cohort. :smallbiggrin:

Pixies are less substantially powerful if you remove their arrows. Probably actually gimper than Imps...

Starbuck_II
2009-10-30, 05:44 AM
Petals in MM 3 are like Fairys like Tinklebell. They are tiny, fly, etc.

Killer Angel
2009-10-30, 07:14 AM
How can i get a pixie familiar?

Other than play NWN?

Roderick_BR
2009-10-30, 07:57 AM
Other than play NWN?

This server I played once allowed you to play a pixie character too...:smallwink:

Killer Angel
2009-10-30, 08:26 AM
This server I played once allowed you to play a pixie character too...:smallwink:

With a wizard as familiar? :smallbiggrin:
(it would have been pretty impressive...)

Fluffles
2009-10-30, 08:44 AM
Take leadership and get a Petal as a cohort. That way it can gain class levels as well.

ericgrau
2009-10-30, 11:29 AM
Pixies are less substantially powerful if you remove their arrows. Probably actually gimper than Imps...

And yet I didn't even remember or mention their arrows before, as I was focusing on stronger abilities. Chalk it up as special ability #17 among many others. Ya, pixies are just too strong.

Well, if the OP doesn't mind a half-bug then grig could work. Or what's the CR on petals? Any major special abilities that might break things?

Fluffles
2009-10-30, 11:43 AM
Tiny Fey; CR 1. +2 LA (Cohort)

EDIT: MM3, they can sing to force a DC 13 will save vs. Sleep. Or if you get an entire group of them, DC 14 for the first 3, and then +1 for each one after that that starts singing.

ericgrau
2009-10-30, 12:36 PM
That's not too strong by the time you get improved familiar. Imps get at will detect magic and 1/day suggestion (DC 15).

Fluffles
2009-10-30, 12:44 PM
It can be when you use Leadership to get an army of them :smallbiggrin:

ascariast
2009-10-31, 06:24 PM
The petal looks ok would that be ok for Improved familiar at say lvl 9