PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural Style RPG

ondonaflash
2009-10-29, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for a good system to run a game styled after Supernatural, the CW television show. The monsters are more heavily based on the legends, and are significantly more powerful than a human, and they are hunted by a loose subculture of people who take the monsters down by out thinking them and hitting the monsters where they are weak.

And there's some stuff with demons. Any suggestions? I'd rather it be a simple system with a high risk factor.

BobVosh
2009-10-29, 11:46 PM
M&M, of course, has your back.

WW's Promethean, if you are willing to do a few changes, can work very well for it. Instead of corrupting the world make it a call to darker creatures.

I should imagine GURPs can do it.

*edit* They made a supernatural RPG. Bleh. Nevermind, not out yet. http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-Hunt-Begins-Jamie-Chambers/dp/1931567484

SurlySeraph
2009-10-29, 11:47 PM
Hunter: The Vigil is absolutely perfect for this.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-30, 12:41 AM
Gonna have to second Hunter: The Vigil. It's got options for any kind of supernatural hunter you want to play, whether it's an ancient militant arm of the Catholic Church, a modern day Hellfire Club that likes to rape, torture and kill monsters, or just a bunch of curious people who spy on monsters and post the videos and pictures on YouTube.

Haven
2009-10-30, 12:46 AM
M&M, of course, has your back.

While normally I wouldn't hesitate to nominate M&M for anything and everything...the system really doesn't do "high risk factor".

Hawriel
2009-10-30, 01:19 AM
D20 modern

GURPS

All of the white wolf D10 games form the late 90s
Vampire, werewolf, wraith, mage, changling

M&M

Chuthulu.

Deadlands the orginial rules.

Hida Reju
2009-10-30, 02:31 AM
Spycraft 2.0 using the Fragile minds PDF download for horror extras.

Gives you multiple ways to measure character damage, with stress, fatigue, mental stability.

Perfect for skilled investigators

Sir_Mopalot
2009-10-30, 05:05 AM
There actually is a Supernatural RPG. Like, an official one. Haven't read it, don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it might be.
Link! (http://www.margaretweis.com/wp/game-products/supernatural/supernatural-role-playing-game/)

BobVosh
2009-10-30, 05:11 AM
I thought my link was the official one. My bad.

Also: Call of Cthulu can do it. Just remember to give the Big Bads some weak point to outthink.

BlackandGold
2009-10-30, 09:34 AM
As said before, I would take Hunter from White Wolf. But with a twist: In the Player's Guide there are the Bystanders. Essentially Hunters which didn't get all the nifty Abilities like Healing and so on. I just watched an episode of Supernatural and Nooooo, Dean and Winchester had no supernatural Abilities (aside from the whole Demon-Blood-Thing).

So, in a Nutshell: Hunter: The Reckoning, as an Bystander from the Players Guide.

Oh and it is the Old World of Darkness. No Idea, how it's done in the New WoD.

ken-do-nim
2009-10-30, 09:36 AM
Alternity Dark Matter.

Comet
2009-10-30, 10:14 AM
So, in a Nutshell: Hunter: The Reckoning, as an Bystander from the Players Guide.

Oh and it is the Old World of Darkness. No Idea, how it's done in the New WoD.
Hunter: the Vigil is basically Hunter: the Reckoning, minus the silly superpowers. In essence, everyone is a Bystander.

Really, new World of Darkness is the best choice here. Hunter: the Vigil makes it even better for a Supernatural game, but even the core rules work perfectly well.

Cam Banks
2009-10-30, 10:26 AM
There really is a Supernatural RPG, and it's been on sale since summer. Not sure why Amazon is late to the party, but you can order it through any book or hobby store, or from our online store at www.margaretweis.com.

There's a free Quickstart adventure (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64277) and rules packet available at DriveThruRPG. Our first supplement, Supernatural Adventures, is also on sale as a PDF and the printed version is on its way. The Guide to the Hunted, a big full-color book of monsters, angels, demons, and curses, should be in stores early next year and it will be followed up by the Supernatural Road Atlas, a sourcebook of spooky locations and hellish sites across America.

For information, questions, concerns, or retail support, shoot me an email at cam AT margaretweis DOT com.

Cheers,
Cam

Nostri
2009-10-30, 12:25 PM
I'd say that Hunter: the Vigil form the new World of Darkness line would do it very well. You'd also have the added bonus of being able to use the other various supernatural book lines to flesh out the monter NPCs (or PCs if you decide to go that way). If I remember correctly they even list Supernatural as one of the works of 'inspiration' that they suggest you watch to get ideas for games of Hunter.

My second choice would be Alternity Dark Matter. Don't use the d20 version if you want it to be deadly, most times (at least in my experience) characters don't die in d20. Which may or may not be an issue but I've always felt Supernatural was a fairly dangerous setting. Just drop the Hoffman Instatute and run everyone as unaffiliated. The only reason this isn't at the top of my list is because the books for it are out of print and may be harder to get ahold of then the newer White Wolf stuff.

I'd be a bit wary of the actual, offical and liscenced Supernatural RPG. Most of the official TV show games I've looked through were kind of sloppily put together. In a few cases I've actually seen publishers leave entire sections of rules out of a core rulebook because they were in a rush to get the book out while the series was still at the hieght of it's popularity (see the Firefly RPG). However since I've never seen the book in person or even talked to anyone who has I can't actually give out any advice on that exact book.

The Demented One
2009-10-30, 01:47 PM
Unknown Armies. Unknown Armies. So, so very much Unknown Armies.

ondonaflash
2009-10-30, 04:05 PM
There really is a Supernatural RPG, and it's been on sale since summer. Not sure why Amazon is late to the party, but you can order it through any book or hobby store, or from our online store at www.margaretweis.com.

There's a free Quickstart adventure (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64277) and rules packet available at DriveThruRPG. Our first supplement, Supernatural Adventures, is also on sale as a PDF and the printed version is on its way. The Guide to the Hunted, a big full-color book of monsters, angels, demons, and curses, should be in stores early next year and it will be followed up by the Supernatural Road Atlas, a sourcebook of spooky locations and hellish sites across America.

For information, questions, concerns, or retail support, shoot me an email at cam AT margaretweis DOT com.

Cheers,
Cam

Thanks, this looks cool. You come off a bit strong though.

Cam Banks
2009-10-30, 07:13 PM
I'd be a bit wary of the actual, offical and liscenced Supernatural RPG. Most of the official TV show games I've looked through were kind of sloppily put together.

I think we did a pretty good job with this one. The folks at Supernatural like it, at least!

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Banks
2009-10-30, 07:14 PM
Thanks, this looks cool. You come off a bit strong though.

It's the 12 hour Sudafed. Don't worry, it wears off.

Cheers,
Cam

Coplantor
2009-10-30, 07:50 PM
Alternity Dark Matter.

Gotta second this, mostly because I love the way the system works