PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Would Control Air be devastating in a sea/pirate campaign?

Pika...
2009-10-30, 12:37 AM
So I have decided to go with a Shaper for my sea privateer psion for a challenge, and because I am inexperienced with one so it will be easier on a new DM, but I am considering taking Expanded Knowledge (or burning the 200xp to research it) to gain Control Air from the Kineticist list.

Using the rules for ships from the Arms & Equipment Guide (she OKed using those rules for us players into ship vs. ship battle instead of just boardings :smallbiggrin:) I am thinking that would be devastating. It seems good even in melee (I am ashamed I never looked into it before).

However, I am not really sure if a bit of extra speed would really be as great as I am thinking.

Is being able to outrun a similar ship all this power (and most likely a burnt feat) will get me and my PC?

sadi
2009-10-30, 12:41 AM
Privateer translates to me as someone who doesn't exactly follow all the rules of ownership. That means you want to move faster than someone else at all times, be it chasing someone because they have something pretty you want, or running away from someone who is trying to catch you.

tyckspoon
2009-10-30, 01:22 AM
If the rules you're using are any kind of effective simulator then it'll be an awesome power. Might actually be a little short-ranged for ocean-going (400+ feet isn't all that far away on open water) but it'll allow all kinds of shenanigans when it comes time to engage somebody. Imagine what happens when the wind is blowing heavily sideways into two of a ship's masts while blowing normally into the third. Or aiming a 60-mile-an-hour windstorm directly at a rudder. Or just stirring up waves with it. A full-force Control Air aimed at a ship will make it virtually unsailable.. spars will snap, sails may tear, sailors will be unable to get anywhere without tying themselves to the deck.

Radar
2009-10-30, 01:47 AM
And going by the description of Control Winds, a wind of over 60mph actually be able to severly damage a ship. So you get a power, to disable a whole ship for only 8 power points. Neat!

Pika...
2009-10-30, 02:05 AM
If the rules you're using are any kind of effective simulator then it'll be an awesome power. Might actually be a little short-ranged for ocean-going (400+ feet isn't all that far away on open water) but it'll allow all kinds of shenanigans when it comes time to engage somebody. Imagine what happens when the wind is blowing heavily sideways into two of a ship's masts while blowing normally into the third. Or aiming a 60-mile-an-hour windstorm directly at a rudder. Or just stirring up waves with it. A full-force Control Air aimed at a ship will make it virtually unsailable.. spars will snap, sails may tear, sailors will be unable to get anywhere without tying themselves to the deck.

She agreed to using the Arms & Equipment Guide rules for Ship vs. Ship.

Coincidentally I am currently working on his feats. If 400ft is not much should I take Enlarge Power?

Fizban
2009-10-30, 02:08 AM
Short answer: yes. Long answer: yeeeeessssssss. You'll be forcing checks to avoid instant sinking every round while crippling their ability to move and make ranged attacks. Pro tip: real pirates aren't rogues, they're Druids, so they can use Control Winds.

Cicciograna
2009-10-30, 02:13 AM
A power that gives you advanced control over a dangerous battlefield as the sea, allowing you to manipulate your vessel as well as your enemies' ships, to block or severely damage them thus allowing you to do what you please?
Yes. Yes please.