PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Full Metal Alchemist?

Malos
2009-10-30, 02:21 AM
I got the inspiration for my next character from watching FMA. I was curious if anyone was aware of any printed class(es) that was/were similar to the alchemy that is performed throughout this series. (with or without the "transmutation circle")

FerhagoRosewood
2009-10-30, 02:29 AM
I'd love to see one myself.

Seems like without the circle would be a higher ability, to me anyway.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-30, 02:32 AM
"Automail" (Listing of prosthetic limbs in D&D/D20/third party books )

MM2-Half Golem: pg209
Quint. Fighter2-Prosthetic weapons/limbs: pg65
Quint. Dwarf-Arcanomech limbs: pg75
Defenders of the Faith-Arm of Nyr: pg26
Crit hits: Torn Asunder-artificial limbs: pg50

Djibriel
2009-10-30, 02:43 AM
Your cleanest hit is the Renegade Mastermaker, a PrC from Magic of Eberron, designed to enter with Artificer. As an Artificer, you learn how to infuse items with magical properties; as a Mastermaker, you construct a Battlefist to one of your arms and keep progressing as an Artificer in terms of Infusions (Artificer "spells").

What's called "alchemy" in 3.5 is fairly weak and inherently potion/flask-based. Artificer infusions are fairly similair in my opinion, and different from Arcane and Divine magic for that different, exotic feel you may want.

Optimystik
2009-10-30, 07:44 AM
Did you want Edward Elric exclusively? Because other builds can do other alchemists. For example, a Binder has the whole "draw a circle, modify your body" thing going for it, and a Warforged Anima Mage with a squeaky voice could almost be Alphonse.

Eldan
2009-10-30, 07:58 AM
Alternatively, if you want just energy blasts, take a warlock and several blast shape/essence invocations. They can even form hands out of stone.

ErrantX
2009-10-30, 08:10 AM
Then there's a Psion(Shaper)/Monk with Ascetic Psion and Tashalatora. Psionic fabricate, major creation, astral constructs, crazy good Int synergy, the unarmed combat and such of the monk, and powers.

-X

AslanCross
2009-10-30, 08:26 AM
Artificer -> Renegade Mastermaker.

Whenever someone asks me to describe the Renegade Mastermaker, I simply say "I can has automail?"

The Mastermaker's battlefist counts as a warforged part, so the artificer can actually cast his infusions on it.

Faiths of Eberron has a whole set of Warforged Graft parts, from Mighty Arms (an affordable 1000 GP), to brain and heart implants.

Artificer is found in the Eberron Campaign Setting, while Renegade Mastermaker is from Magic of Eberron.

Tengu_temp
2009-10-30, 10:09 AM
In M&M, it'd be easy - just invest heavily in Create Object, which coincidentally happens to be one of the most versatile powers.

In DND, I second Psion (Shaper). That's the closest you can get to FMA alchemy in DND.

Malos
2009-10-30, 11:59 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! This is a great help. And to answer a question, no. I am not trying to be any alchemist from FMA in particular. Just curious about being able to change things into other things, and be useful.

One of the things I am envisioning is entering a 10ft-wide corridor, have 4 orcs charge at us from the end, being able to touch the wall and have a section of it slam the orcs into the other wall (crushing damage). Doesn't have to be godly powerful... just want to be able to alter an element. It is intriguing to me.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-30, 12:13 PM
You could always make a sorceror, y'know, with spells based on doin' element manipulation. Need a wall of stone to appear to smash enemies? Use...Wall of Stone. Perhaps you need to turn some stone into mud? How about...Stone to Mud. Seriously, there's all sorts of those spells, all of which should be in the Transmutation school, as I recall. I say sorceror instead of wizard because it makes more sense of the "I clap my hands and X happens because I want it to" instead of "I clap my hands and this happens because this big book I lug around says so." Unless, of course, you're a geomancer. Geometer? I don't remember. Whichever one draws in their spellbook, because that smacks of transmutation circles, IMHO.

Milskidasith
2009-10-30, 12:16 PM
You could always make a sorceror, y'know, with spells based on doin' element manipulation. Need a wall of stone to appear to smash enemies? Use...Wall of Stone. Perhaps you need to turn some stone into mud? How about...Stone to Mud. Seriously, there's all sorts of those spells, all of which should be in the Transmutation school, as I recall. I say sorceror instead of wizard because it makes more sense of the "I clap my hands and X happens because I want it to" instead of "I clap my hands and this happens because this big book I lug around says so." Unless, of course, you're a geomancer. Geometer? I don't remember. Whichever one draws in their spellbook, because that smacks of transmutation circles, IMHO.

Alchemy is a science in FMA, so wizard makes more sense.

The Glyphstone
2009-10-30, 12:17 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! This is a great help. And to answer a question, no. I am not trying to be any alchemist from FMA in particular. Just curious about being able to change things into other things, and be useful.

One of the things I am envisioning is entering a 10ft-wide corridor, have 4 orcs charge at us from the end, being able to touch the wall and have a section of it slam the orcs into the other wall (crushing damage). Doesn't have to be godly powerful... just want to be able to alter an element. It is intriguing to me.

There's actually a spell that does that, though I can't remember the name....Convulsing Tunnel or something, makes a section of hallway or tunnel constrict on itself, squashing anything in the way. It's a higher level spell, but you could do it by being a sorcerer, or being an Artificer and making a custom item that can cast it for you occasionally.