PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think we can have a RPG about this?

Argeus
2009-10-30, 02:39 AM
An artifact, in fact. This artifact forms the core of the plot of a novel I am planning to write, but for all intent and purpose, I think it would make sense if used in a RPG.

Eversong (Eversong = song that lasts for an eternity = song without beginning or end = this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kanon), if you care to know)

History: Gramzal Sunwrath is, or used to be the most powerful Paladin of the order of the Guardian Knights in the world of Mediava, a few hundred lightyears/a few dozen planes away from Earth, depending on method of transport. Unlike his fellow, less fortunate Paladins, the battle-hardened, pious and fearless Gramzal never had the chance to die in battle, but rather in a deathbed as an old man, denying him of a chance to enter the Warrior's Gate in Heaven. To compensate for this loss, his patron god granted him a boon - his soul would be preserved in his weapon of choice, a mastercrafted Greatsword, together with most, if not all, of his combat capabilities and masteries he had in life. This resulted in a weapon that could "easily make a demigod out of an infirm". Eversong, the Sword of the Paladin.

Needless to say it was not a wise move on the deity's side, since followers of his enemies were quick to act, trying to secure the blade and defile it in the name of the evil gods they worship. Eventually, one attempt succeeded, but just as the evil-worshipping clerics were about to defile the weapon, a freak accident took place as the blade exploded, killing the clerics, warping the fabrics of the planes and tossing the blade into another dimension - another world.

(Note that this is the setting in the novel. If plugged into an RPG, all that has to be done is to change some place names. My setting deviates sufficiently from the Forgotten Realms in the long run, but that is beside the issue)

Item Type: Greatsword
Damage: 2d6
Critical: 17-20/x2
Size: Large (Or is it Medium?)
Feat: Martial

Special:
Only usable by: Lawful Good or (at DM's discretion)
Bonus: All ability scores +12
Bonus damage: Fire, Cold, Electrical, Sonic 2d6
Bonus damage: Divine 2d6, 6d6 vs. Undead, Construct, Goblinoid.
Enhancement Bonus: +20
Enhancement Bonus vs. Evil: +5
Enhancement Bonus v. Chaotic: +5
Massive Critical: 6d6
Bonus Feat: Weapon focus (Greatsword)
Bonus Feat: Epic Weapon focus
Bonus Feat: Weapon specialization (Greatsword)
Bonus Feat: Epic Weapon specialization
Bonus Feat: Improved Critical (Greatsword)
Bonus Feat: Turn Undead (40)
Bonus Feat: Extra Turning
Bonus Feat: Smite Evil (40)
Bonus Feat: Lay on Hands (40)
Bonus Feat: Extra Smiting
Bonus Feat: Summon Steed (40)
Bonus Feat: Divine Wrath (40)
AC Armor Bonus: +20
Skill bonus: Persuade, Discipline, Heal, Concentration +20
Immunity: Poison
Immunity: Disease
Immunity: Level/Ability Drain
Immunity: Mind Spell
Immunity: Death
Spell Resistance: 40
Damage resistance: 20/- Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning, Fire, Electrical, Cold, Sonic, Negative Energy.
Regeneration + 10
Concealment 50%
Keen
Haste
Freedom

This makes for BOTH a munchkin's heaven AND a good RPG material. What do you think?

Anonymouswizard
2009-10-30, 04:22 AM
Just by looking at it I think a character can be balanced with this, a potion of cure light wounds and all levels in fighter at 45th level can be balanced with the party's arcanist and cleric, but if well optimised he does not get the potion until 51st level.

Just my two cents. It should work great in a novel (plot device here we come).

For an rpg that was based on this created from sratch you would have to make magic more awsomesauce than it is in D&D and make fighters as crap (sorry, crapper) than they are in D&D by putting them on the power level of 3/4 BAB.