PDA

View Full Version : Making a Lovecraft themed Source Mod.

Crispy Dave
2009-10-30, 02:47 AM
So my friend and I decided we wanted to work on making a source mod. After a couple weeks of thinking of ideas we decided to base it on Lovecraft's completely historically accurate world.

The Current concept is a High player count co-op game. The gameplay would run similarly to that of the board game Arkham Horror.

The point to this thread is I'm looking for a group of people to work with me to create this game. Having experience in something that goes into game design is a plus but I don't mind if your just learning(because I am). reading up (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Modding) on the way Source Mods are made would be helpful. If you are interested contact me with a PM and give me an email or IM account to contact you on.

questions,comments,rick rolls, tits tips, threats, random shouting, and concerns are all good uses of this thread.

KBF
2009-10-30, 03:14 AM
Okay, listen. Just because I want to see something come out of this:

How is the gameplay actually going to work?
How does it differ from standard source gameplay? Counterstrike's long rang headshots or Half Life's shaky close range aiming, among other choices.
How are you going to evoke the Lovecraftian atmosphere in an FPS?

Most importantly just make sure you stay realistic about gameplay concepts. Work from the ground up, or at least make sure any larger ideas are firmly rooted before relying on them. Try to avoid 'concept games' that don't work when made or just can't be made. Think it through if you want this to really work. It's not actually that hard, but too many people don't think enough about basic gameplay mechanics.

Then again, this is all coming from some random kid on the internet.

Crispy Dave
2009-10-30, 03:29 AM
How is the gameplay actually going to work?
How does it differ from standard source gameplay? Counterstrike's long rang headshots or Half Life's shaky close range aiming, among other choices.
How are you going to evoke the Lovecraftian atmosphere in an FPS?

I'm trying to hold off on most design decisions until I egt a solid team together and we can have a meeting. That being said I hope to have good shooting mechanics for Guns that you would see in the Lovecraft world like Tommy Guns and Revolvers and such.

Most importantly just make sure you stay realistic about gameplay concepts. Work from the ground up, or at least make sure any larger ideas are firmly rooted before relying on them. Try to avoid 'concept games' that don't work when made or just can't be made. Think it through if you want this to really work. It's not actually that hard, but too many people don't think enough about basic gameplay mechanics.

this is why the only concept so far is A lovecraftian co-op game that runs similar to Arkham Horror.

Smight
2009-10-30, 03:55 AM
I have a question, which is your part in this, programmer, artist , modeler or just idea man

GolemsVoice
2009-10-30, 07:17 AM
I could supply ideas and knowledge about how things work in Lovecraft's world, I'm pretty well-read as far as his writing, ideas and life goes. Sadly, I ahve little experience about making mods, but, I can learn, can't I? I also have played some lovecraftian FPS and mods, and can advise you on what I liked about them, and what I disliked.

Crispy Dave
2009-10-30, 02:47 PM
I have a question, which is your part in this, programmer, artist , modeler or just idea man

I would mainly be scripting because I don't know C++ very well at all.

I could supply ideas and knowledge about how things work in Lovecraft's world, I'm pretty well-read as far as his writing, ideas and life goes. Sadly, I ahve little experience about making mods, but, I can learn, can't I? I also have played some lovecraftian FPS and mods, and can advise you on what I liked about them, and what I disliked.

we would love to have you attend the first team meeting where we will be laying down some ideas and planning out work. PM a way to contact you if interested.

Imposter
2009-10-31, 01:27 PM
Just a few questions: Do you have someone on hand that knows the source engine? What length are you aiming for here? What kind of help do you need?

Other than that, I may be able to provide models. Maybe. I can certainly give them to you in a .blend state, but I've never tried modding for source before and don't know how to convert the files into the required format or what scale I have to make them at.

Crispy Dave
2009-10-31, 04:09 PM
Just a few questions: Do you have someone on hand that knows the source engine? What length are you aiming for here? What kind of help do you need?

Other than that, I may be able to provide models. Maybe. I can certainly give them to you in a .blend state, but I've never tried modding for source before and don't know how to convert the files into the required format or what scale I have to make them at.

As of now we don't have anyone who is a master of source. I know Server setup stuff and basic map making but that's about it. This is a amateur project.

I'm not sure about the modeling conversions but If you know how to at least make them we could use you. Even If someone else had to convert your models themselves. You are welcome to attend our first Net meeting which the date will be announced once I have about 8 people or so who are willing to help with the project.

edit: most of the basic modeling info can be found here (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Modeling)