PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Focus 3.5

Talbot
2009-10-30, 03:15 AM
I'm playing a Psionic character for the first time (Soulblade), and I was wondering if there's any obscure feat in a Dragon Mag or some other book that lets you charge your Psionic focus some easier way. I know complete Psionic has a feat to let you charge your Psychic Strike when you kill somebody, but I'm planning on taking ten levels in Soul Bow and four in Fighter, so I won't have that much Psychic Strike damage and will likely be better off with Psionic Weapon or the like... but I don't want to have to give up my move every turn to power it up.

Faleldir
2009-10-30, 03:18 AM
Have you considered taking the ACF from Mind's Eye that trades Psychic Strike for bonus feats?

Talbot
2009-10-30, 03:26 AM
Have you considered taking the ACF from Mind's Eye that trades Psychic Strike for bonus feats?

I didn't understand half of that sentence (ACF? Mind's Eye?), but your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to learn more.

arguskos
2009-10-30, 03:39 AM
I didn't understand half of that sentence (ACF? Mind's Eye?), but your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to learn more.
Mind's Eye is a third party supplement that, along with Hyperconscious, is considered to be one of the best psionic enhancements around.

ACF is short for Alternate Class Feature, meaning you can trade something the class normally gets for something else.

Talbot
2009-10-30, 03:41 AM
Oh. I don't think third-party stuff is allowed.

Myrmex
2009-10-30, 03:47 AM
There's a feat that lets you focus as a move action, so you could multishot and refocus in the same round.

Dhavaer
2009-10-30, 03:49 AM
Mind's Eye is a third party supplement that, along with Hyperconscious, is considered to be one of the best psionic enhancements around.

ACF is short for Alternate Class Feature, meaning you can trade something the class normally gets for something else.

Mind's Eye is also the name for the Psionics articles on the WotC website, and may be what Faleldir was referring to.

Faleldir
2009-10-30, 04:00 AM
Yes, I was referring to the old WOTC web articles.

arguskos
2009-10-30, 04:05 AM
Mind's Eye is also the name for the Psionics articles on the WotC website, and may be what Faleldir was referring to.
Ah. I believe there was a Mind's Eye as a third party source. Of course, I could be mistaken, I'm not a psionics buff. Thanks for letting me know though. :smallredface:

Talbot
2009-10-30, 04:10 AM
Where can I find those?

arguskos
2009-10-30, 04:15 AM
Where can I find those?
Bam! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/psi) Here you are sir.

Edge
2009-10-30, 04:18 AM
Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/psi). Enjoy. :smallwink:

Aside from the feat in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, there are two feats in the Tome of Battle that allow interaction between maneuver recovery and psionic focus recovery, if I remember correctly. If you have access to the book, it may be worthwhile taking a look.

EDIT: Damn ninjas...

Talbot
2009-10-30, 04:38 AM
Thank you both, I'll look into that... in the meantime, (I'm already level 5), here's my planned build:

Dwarf

1- Soulknife 1- Point Blank Shot
2- Soulknife 2
3- Soulknife 3- Combat Reflexes (hopefully; I currently have something else I never use, and I'm hoping the DM will let me retrian)
4- Soulknife 4
5- Soulknife 5
6- Soulknife 6 - Reshape Mindblade (Dwarven Warpike), Enhancement 1 (probably Undead Bane, based on the campaign)
7- Fighter 1- Combat Expertise
8- Soulbow 1- Precise Shot

I like that setup because with speed of thought I can switch from ranged to melee at will, and with the warpike/combat reflexes/improved trip (taking it at 9th) combo I can keep the baddies away from me pretty well (especially since with a mindblade there's not much risk of having them trip me back, what with there being no practical downside to dropping my weapon).

Now, after that I'm not sure. I know I'm taking more levels in Soulbow and picking up Rapidshot and Many Shot (and Psionic Cleave if I can't find what I'm looking for in Mind's Eye with my level 9 Feat), and I'm taking Soulbow at least to level 6 so I can be firing off five lucky undead bane arrows per turn, but after that it gets a bit murkier. I could take more fighter for the higher BAB and the extra feats (starting with Power Attack, Cleave, and Greater Cleave), I could take more Soulknife for the Psychic Strike and Enhancements (and Knife to the Soul, if I take it far enough), or I could dip into Ilumine Soul to further mess up the undead. Any suggestions on classes/feats?

Edit: Current Plan from 9th on:

9- Fighter 2- Improved Trip, Cleave
10- Soulbow 2
11- Soulknife 7
12- Fighter 3- Rapidshot
13- Soubow 3- Manyshot
14- Ilumine Soul 1-
15- Fighter 4- Practiced Mindblade, Psionic Cleave
16- Soulbow 4-
17- Ilumine Soul 2-
18- Fighter 5- Improved Toughness
19- Ilumine Soul 3-
20- Ilumine Soul 4-

Ultimately, I'll end up with two setups; a trip-happy, combat reflexes mindblade with cleave on his +5 Mindblade with up to three enhancements which totally rocks undead and has a reach weapon and a +5 ranged, Undeadbane Lucky Soulbow attacking 5 times per round with 5d8 Psychic Strike and Psionic Cleave recharging that all the time. Do wish I could figure out a way to get Grater Cleave in there, though... I'd be willing to give up Improved Toughness for it.